Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby spix et chicho » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 pm

delgriffith wrote:I watched Infinity War over the shoulder of the person sitting in front of me on the plane the other day while I caught up on podcasts. A total mess! 0 stars.

fuck, I think those podcasts are making you... too smart??
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 pm

dr strange is so frustrating because it captured the magic shit so well but it was their absolute laziest plot so far, and i kinda think the complaints about tilda as ancient one are fair
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Doctor Strange is a 30-minute movie in my head.

All I can recall is the first act, the Inception bit, and the final showdown.
reversemigraine

Postby spix et chicho » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 pm

I guess Chiwetel is a villain? and Dormammu? who gives a shit
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:16 pm

I don't follow this as closely as some but to me there are some strong hints in this that in avengers 4 austin powers becomes an avenger. he knows the secret of time travel and he will break the infinity gauntlet by making thanos too horny.Toggle Spoiler
palmer eldritch

Postby goofjan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm

I did a villain ranking after I saw Black Panther. Updated with Infinity War and some other additions/reshuffling.

Notes:
A low ranking does not necessarily mean a bad (low-quality) performance by the actor.
I have never seen Thor or Thor 2 but I feel like everybody says Malekith sucks.
I'm sure I forgot some. Like I can't even remember Wolfgang von Strucker- who he is or what he did in these movies.

Tier 1: Bad to the bone
1. Loki (Tom Hiddleston - Thor, The Avengers, Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok)
2. Vulture (Michael Keaton - Spider-Man: Homecoming)
3. Thanos (Josh Brolin - Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Infinity War)
4. Obidiah Stane (Jeff Bridges - Iron Man)
5. Helmut Zemo (Daniel Bruhl - Captain America: Civil War)

Tier 2: I'm bad, you know it
6. The Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan - CA: Winter Soldier)
7. Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan - Black Panther)
8. Nebula (Karen Gillan - Guardians of the Galaxy, GOTG Vol. 2)
9. Red Skull (Hugo Weaving - CA: The First Avenger)
10. Hela (Cate Blanchett - Thor: Ragnarok)
11. Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell - Iron Man 2)

Tier 3: I wanna be bad
12. Ulysses Klaue (Andy Serkis - Avengers: Age of Ultron, Black Panther)
13. Ultron (James Spader - Age of Ultron)
14. Arnim Zola (Toby Jones - CA: The First Avenger, CA: The Winter Soldier)
15. Crossbones (Frank Grillo - Winter Solider, Civil War)
16. Ego (Kurt Russell - GOTG Vol. 2)
17. Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum - Thor: Ragnarok)

Tier 4: Two out of three ain't bad
18. Kaicillius (Mads Mikkelson - Doctor Strange)
19. The Black Order (Tom Vaughan-Lawlor as Ebony Maw, Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight, Michael James Shaw as Corvus Glaive, Terry Notary as Cull Obsidian - Infinity War)
20. Ronan The Accuser (Lee Pace - GOTG)
21. Whiplash (Mickey Rourke - Iron Man 2)
22. Ayesha (Elizabeth Debicki - GOTG Vol. 2)
23. “The Mandarin” (Ben Kingsley - Iron Man 3)
24. Yellowjacket (Cory Stoll - Ant-Man)

Tier 5: Bad company
25. Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce - Iron Man 3)
26. Shocker(s) (Bokeem Woodbine & Logan Marshall-Green - Spider-Man: Homecoming)
27. Abomination (Tim Roth - The Incredible Hulk)
28. Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen, Ant-Man & The Wasp)
29. Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford - CA: Winter Soldier)
30. Sonny Burch (Walton Goggins - Ant-Man & The Wasp)
31. Malekith (Christopher Eccelson - Thor: The Dark World)
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby goofjan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:41 pm

That Demon Life wrote:
neuartillery wrote:I rewatched Ragnarok on the gym treadmill a few weeks ago and caught myself from laughing out loud at a few of the jokes. I've watched that movie 3-4 times now and it's still consistently funny.

Pretty sure this and Spiderman are my top 2

same.
goofjan

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 pm

Killmonger is way too low.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 pm

And lol that was Carrie Coon? What a waste.
That Demon Life

Postby kirito » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:02 pm

i like when red skull tosses zola his keys before he gets in the little escape pod
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Grandmaster is too low too because Jeff Goldblum is automatically better than the majority of MCU villains.
That Demon Life

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 pm

yeah killmonger and maw are top tier for sure.
badhat

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Maw ruled so much for his brief screen time. Better than most of the villains who got whole movies.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Looking over that list I hate a lot about it. For example, Robert Redford perfectly fits the 70s spy thriller theme of Winter Soldier.
That Demon Life

Postby Curling » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 pm

Is Grandmaster even a villain? He’s more elemental. Like getting mad at the weather.

Or maybe Goldblum’s zaniness just covered up & charmed over his villainous deeds in my eyes?
Curling

Postby Curling » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:50 pm

And yeah Robert Redford killed it as Pierce in CA:WS. One of my fave villain performances in the MCU.
Curling

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 am

goofjan wrote:I did a villain ranking after I saw Black Panther. Updated with Infinity War and some other additions/reshuffling.

Notes:
A low ranking does not necessarily mean a bad (low-quality) performance by the actor.
I have never seen Thor or Thor 2 but I feel like everybody says Malekith sucks.
I'm sure I forgot some. Like I can't even remember Wolfgang von Strucker- who he is or what he did in these movies.

Tier 1: Bad to the bone
1. Loki (Tom Hiddleston - Thor, The Avengers, Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok)
2. Vulture (Michael Keaton - Spider-Man: Homecoming)
3. Thanos (Josh Brolin - Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Infinity War)
4. Obidiah Stane (Jeff Bridges - Iron Man)
5. Helmut Zemo (Daniel Bruhl - Captain America: Civil War)

Tier 2: I'm bad, you know it
6. The Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan - CA: Winter Soldier)
7. Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan - Black Panther)
8. Nebula (Karen Gillan - Guardians of the Galaxy, GOTG Vol. 2)
9. Red Skull (Hugo Weaving - CA: The First Avenger)
10. Hela (Cate Blanchett - Thor: Ragnarok)
11. Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell - Iron Man 2)

Tier 3: I wanna be bad
12. Ulysses Klaue (Andy Serkis - Avengers: Age of Ultron, Black Panther)
13. Ultron (James Spader - Age of Ultron)
14. Arnim Zola (Toby Jones - CA: The First Avenger, CA: The Winter Soldier)
15. Crossbones (Frank Grillo - Winter Solider, Civil War)
16. Ego (Kurt Russell - GOTG Vol. 2)
17. Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum - Thor: Ragnarok)

Tier 4: Two out of three ain't bad
18. Kaicillius (Mads Mikkelson - Doctor Strange)
19. The Black Order (Tom Vaughan-Lawlor as Ebony Maw, Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight, Michael James Shaw as Corvus Glaive, Terry Notary as Cull Obsidian - Infinity War)
20. Ronan The Accuser (Lee Pace - GOTG)
21. Whiplash (Mickey Rourke - Iron Man 2)
22. Ayesha (Elizabeth Debicki - GOTG Vol. 2)
23. “The Mandarin” (Ben Kingsley - Iron Man 3)
24. Yellowjacket (Cory Stoll - Ant-Man)

Tier 5: Bad company
25. Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce - Iron Man 3)
26. Shocker(s) (Bokeem Woodbine & Logan Marshall-Green - Spider-Man: Homecoming)
27. Abomination (Tim Roth - The Incredible Hulk)
28. Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen, Ant-Man & The Wasp)
29. Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford - CA: Winter Soldier)
30. Sonny Burch (Walton Goggins - Ant-Man & The Wasp)
31. Malekith (Christopher Eccelson - Thor: The Dark World)

I'm not going to do a full ranking but top tier would definitely include Loki, Thanos, Vulture, and Killmonger. I don't know if I could put Zemo up there but I like that he's not super-powered (specifically not a mirror image of the superhero in the given film) and Bruhl does a great job, particularly in the basement scene early in the film.

I rewatched Iron Man 2 at some point this year and there's such an opportunity for Whiplash to be a memorable villain but Rourke's performance is weird as hell and not in a good way. It doesn't help that the final fight is lame. Rockwell was so much better in that movie but most of the actual villainy is given to Whiplash, so Rockwell felt like more of a side character than a villain.

My main issue with Ulysses Klaue is that I wish he'd had more screentime in Black Panther. I didn't think he fit into Ultron at all -- again, overstuffing is the downfall of that movie -- but he was perfect in Black Panther.

I'll defend a few of the bottom-tier guys. Redford isn't hugely threatening in Winter Soldier but I like the decision not to make Hydra a cackling evil. Computer Zola goes into that a bit and Gary Shandling does too but Redford's comparative stoicism works for me. I generally like Guy Pearce as an actor and like IM3 more than most here, and I think the combination of him and Kingsley works well.
neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:20 am

Ronan was kind of a thankless villain, since he primarily exists as a warm-up round before Thanos / a demonstration for what one infinity stone can do. It’s clear that Thanos is much more powerful than Ronan and Ronan’s defiance is mostly empty bellowing. I will say that tonally he works in GOTG, since he is so self-serious and his reaction to Quill’s dance-off at the end is a good payoff.
neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 am

It’s basically a running punchline in GOTG that Thanos is the real threat.
neuartillery

Postby delgriffith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 am

There was this scene in Infinity War where some chick was sitting on Thanos' head and giving him a noogie and Chris Pratt (Star Lord) was trying to decide whether or not to shoot him and I was trying to imagine what Thanos sounded like and imagining his lines being read by Josh Brolin and heard Bigfoot in my head and it made me happy.
delgriffith

Postby mites » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am

In general the villains in these have been good. It’s a real quality of the films and the story decisisons as a whole. Few boring ones tho
mites

Postby delgriffith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 am

Killmonger ruled.
delgriffith

Postby spix et chicho » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 am

Infinity War 1 Ragnarok 2 the rest a hodgepodge
spix et chicho

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:58 am

I liked Infinity War, but it's hard to rank because I saw it at home last week instead of in theaters and knew everything that happened already, so it kinda fucks up some of the impact of it.

Plus it kinda reminded me of a scattershot Game of Thrones episode with the bouncing back and forth between groups. I mean, it had no other choice, but no single storyline resonated with me a ton.

But Thor's arrival on the battlefield, I could watch 1000000000 times.

And also they clearly should've left Wakanda a closed society. Open it up and basically immediately it gets wrecked.
That Demon Life

Postby badhat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:03 am

i’ve thought that too, but its not like they had a choice. thanos was a threat to the whole universe, you cant isolationist yourself out of that.
badhat

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:13 am

At least the infrastructure would've been in good shape.
That Demon Life

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:45 am

badhat wrote:i’ve thought that too, but its not like they had a choice. thanos was a threat to the whole universe, you cant isolationist yourself out of that.

they coulda uh just fried the fuckin stone
palmer eldritch

Postby goofjan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 am

I think the MCU movies work well because they don't fall into the trap - like Burton's Batman movies - of making the villains more interesting/entertaining than the heroes. From the very beginning they focused on developing the most well-rounded, complex, relatable heroes they could. There's no way the crossover movies would work otherwise, because if they weren't such great characters there would be no excitement in seeing them interact and learn to work together.

The unfortunate consequence of that, of course, is that the villains get short shrift and are more often than not just a foil for the hero. There are some exceptions early on. Like, I put Obidiah in there because he's kind of the OG and though his arc is whatever, Bridges is great, looks awesome, and has a couple of amazing scenes ("Tony Stark built this in a cave!", the scene where he removes Tony's arc reactor). And of course Loki because Hiddleston is so damn fun. But I don't think it was really until they completely moved away from the burden of developing a hero and villain from scratch in the same film that they figured out how to do better villains.

For example, I love Zemo even though his plan is ridiculous- I just love his one-man journey from that former Hydra agent's house in Cleveland to the arctic base. Vulture is the perfect balance of cartoon and realism- he's threatening but his motivation is simple and focused, and Keaton just nails the performance. And Killmonger, though I wasn't into Jordan's performance, is the most sympathetic and dramatic villain by far. All of those characters had room to breathe and develop because they were not sharing running time with a new hero being introduced to the audience.

Total aside: I think Nebula is underrated. I love her insanity in the first GOTG. She's just this ferocious wild card. And I love her cool, calculated nature in GOTG2 and her turn to the good side is really emotional. Gillen rules.

On the horizon we have Ben Mendelsohn in Captain Marvel, so let's hope that while they're introducing us to Carol they're able to give her a worthy adversary. I'm encouraged by the fact that Mendelsohn worked with the directors before (on Mississippi Grind). And Of course Gyllenhaal as Mysterio, which I've got really high hopes for. (And Numan Acar maybe as Chameleon?)
goofjan

Postby Poptone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 am

they don't trade lives, palmer
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Viz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 pm

What's also really cool with what they accomplished with the villains is that they didn't get to use the really really really good "villains" with interesting motivations and a lot of moral greyspace. They explored it perfectly with Killmonger, but I can't wait for what they'll do with "villains" like Doom, Magneto, Norman Osborne, and Namor.
Viz

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....