non-comedy podcasts

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby badhat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 pm

vault wrote:went through this whole thread adding shows to my stitcher and now I wanna hear an ep I heard mentioned here, but can't remember which show---something about ethics of not/eating meat and how if you only eat beef you cause less deaths---something like that. anyone that can help?

The Ezra Klein Show: Bruce Friedrich on how technology will reduce animal suffering
https://overcast.fm/+F_9Hzs9Cc
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Kenny wrote:Here's a doozy, can anybody recommend a "Weird stuff" podcast, like one that inestigates supernatural or extraterrestrial stuff?

https://www.rumblestripvermont.com/2017/07/mind-windows/
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby bongo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am

pt 2 of the reply all is up now
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby nonchalant » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 pm

damn pt2 is intense

i just checked it seems all the websites they mention in the podcast are down
ImageImageImage
nonchalant

Postby shrinemaidens » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:26 pm

thx for the reminder, listening to pt2 now
shrinemaidens

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm

that was pretty great.

i thought the final phonecall with kamal was a little smug and cringey but otherwise i really loved it
badhat

Postby badhat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Ways of Hearing ep of 99pi is really good.

no ideas in there i hadnt thought about as a sound engineer but the telling of it was really cool.
badhat

Postby Fullscreen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Oh yeah that was great and made me re-listen to the song exploder with the microphones.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby Fullscreen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:08 pm

dunno if anybody is listening to the revolutions podcast but it's been great making my way through the Haitian revolution and South American wars of independence. He's telling these in rough chronological order and is just now starting his series on the revolutions of 1848.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby zamboni » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:49 pm

zamboni

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I found this podcast about various fascist movements fascist-nating. I had never really heard of any of these people or groups. It's nearly two hours long though:

https://thebaffler.com/news-from-nowher ... cist-creep
Julius Sumner Miller

Postby Sobieski » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 pm

The new hardcore history/Dan Carlin is really damn good
Johann POOPLER wrote:Progress is the exploration of our own error
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby G_S » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am

damn, the latest 99pi blew me away yet again. all about the Great Dismal Swamp and maroon communities.
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/great-dismal-swamp/
G_S

Postby badhat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:13 pm

not breaking news but Reply All is in best-of mode this month and if for whatever reason you missed "the Cathedral", I can't recommend it enough. not just for the content but cuz its one of the most exemplary uses of the podcast form i can think of
badhat

Postby PBR_Streetgang » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:23 pm

badhat wrote:not breaking news but Reply All is in best-of mode this month and if for whatever reason you missed "the Cathedral", I can't recommend it enough. not just for the content but cuz its one of the most exemplary uses of the podcast form i can think of

Not sure I can stomach a story about kid cancer (or even concerning kid cancer tangentially) right now.

How bad is it?
PBR_Streetgang

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Kenny wrote:Here's a doozy, can anybody recommend a "Weird stuff" podcast, like one that inestigates supernatural or extraterrestrial stuff?

A really credulous one would be cool, also a stupid fun one that just talks about the subject because they like it would be cool

astonishing legends is pretty fun, if a little heavy on the npr-style "quirky" sound effects and music.

thinking sideways is hit or miss and i waffle on whether i find the hosts annoying or not but it can be really good if the topic is right.
light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

oh, and i dunno if this is on itunes but i found someone on the podcast addict (i know, embarrassing name) app that's uploading old art bell episodes.
light rail coyote

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm

is larry wilmore's podcast good? i'm asking in here since i was reading an article about him interviewing kareem abdul-jabbar post charlotetesville that sounded pretty good
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby goofjan grievens » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Catching up on some episodes of Criminal and holy shit, the one called Bully is insane. highly recommended.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan grievens

Postby brittle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:42 pm

PBR_Streetgang wrote:
badhat wrote:not breaking news but Reply All is in best-of mode this month and if for whatever reason you missed "the Cathedral", I can't recommend it enough. not just for the content but cuz its one of the most exemplary uses of the podcast form i can think of

Not sure I can stomach a story about kid cancer (or even concerning kid cancer tangentially) right now.

How bad is it?

i tried.

i made it more than halfway, but i still had to turn it off.

my kid's the same age and has a very similar cry though, so it was a lot to take.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby grammatron » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 pm

goofjan grievens wrote:Catching up on some episodes of Criminal and holy shit, the one called Bully is insane. highly recommended.

Criminal is one of the most consistent podcasts out there. It's so interesting. Also I really enjoy Phoebe Judge's voice.
grammatron

Postby fuckles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:40 pm

A really credulous one would be cool, also a stupid fun one that just talks about the subject because they like it would be cool

mysterious universe for a serious/mostly skeptic take.... they're believers for the most part but do call out charlatans in the ufo/paranormal industry

last podcast on the left is a stupid fun one. a mix of supernatural topics and true crime. not so much investigating but reporting
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby KPH » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am

Psyched about Uncivil http://uncivil.show/
Chenjerai was great on the Seeing White series from Scene on Radio if y'all haven't heard it
KPH

Postby Autarch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:24 am

Does anyone else listen to re:sound?
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:04 pm

If you're into the skeptic's take on a lot of mysteries (often paranormal, but not always), Skeptoid is pretty good. It's bare-bones, just the host breaking down the topic, and the episodes are like 15-20 minutes, but it can be pretty good sometimes.
grammatron

Postby goofjan grievens » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I like Expanded Perspectives. It's kind of free-wheeling for the first half but then they settle in to a specific topic. I like the dynamic between the hosts, and they have really unusual topics such as GHOST TRAINS.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan grievens

Postby badhat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Its intrguing to me that Reply all - ostensibly just a technology podcast - has managed to become the cultural product that most routinely and casually reminds me of just how fucking weird the the world is.

the new one with the weird phone calls is yet another case in point
badhat

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 pm

I just caught up and listened to the Long Distance eps of Reply All, wow. Those guys are still at it, by the way, I just called one of the phone numbers and a guy answered and said "premium tech support."
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 am

This sounds pretty great:

“Origins,” a new podcast by the writer and oral historian James Andrew Miller, explores beginnings—stories from film, television, music, business, sports, or whatever else piques his interest, possibly including love—in enthusiastic, bountiful detail, in the words of the key players themselves. Each month, Miller will drop five episodes at once, a bingeable short series on a topic of his choosing. The début batch, which came out last week, is about “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” Larry David’s groundbreaking and ornery HBO comedy, which returns in October, after a five-year hiatus, seventeen years after its première.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/origins-a-podcast-about-great-beginnings-begins-with-the-oral-history-of-curb-your-enthusiasm
Julius Sumner Miller

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:06 am

God, I just listened to a little of this. No wonder this guy specializes in oral history: his writing is corny as fuck.
Julius Sumner Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All