non-comedy podcasts

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby goofjan grievens » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I like Expanded Perspectives. It's kind of free-wheeling for the first half but then they settle in to a specific topic. I like the dynamic between the hosts, and they have really unusual topics such as GHOST TRAINS.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan grievens

Postby badhat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Its intrguing to me that Reply all - ostensibly just a technology podcast - has managed to become the cultural product that most routinely and casually reminds me of just how fucking weird the the world is.

the new one with the weird phone calls is yet another case in point
gun solve all problems
badhat

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 pm

I just caught up and listened to the Long Distance eps of Reply All, wow. Those guys are still at it, by the way, I just called one of the phone numbers and a guy answered and said "premium tech support."
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 am

This sounds pretty great:

“Origins,” a new podcast by the writer and oral historian James Andrew Miller, explores beginnings—stories from film, television, music, business, sports, or whatever else piques his interest, possibly including love—in enthusiastic, bountiful detail, in the words of the key players themselves. Each month, Miller will drop five episodes at once, a bingeable short series on a topic of his choosing. The début batch, which came out last week, is about “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” Larry David’s groundbreaking and ornery HBO comedy, which returns in October, after a five-year hiatus, seventeen years after its première.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/origins-a-podcast-about-great-beginnings-begins-with-the-oral-history-of-curb-your-enthusiasm
Julius Sumner Miller

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:06 am

God, I just listened to a little of this. No wonder this guy specializes in oral history: his writing is corny as fuck.
Julius Sumner Miller

Postby saranclaps » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Frontline podcast interesting but blander production-wise than I expected. I thought it was going to be more Frontline-y in terms of voice.
tgk wrote:Saranclaps is the only boarder who's posts i could identify without attribution 100% of the time.
saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm

I think a lotta ppl here loathe Jon Ronson, but I think The Butterfly Effect is pretty interesting. Nice to have a high-production quality podcast sans ads.
tgk wrote:Saranclaps is the only boarder who's posts i could identify without attribution 100% of the time.
saranclaps

Postby zamboni » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I thought The Psychopath Test was good. Is the criticsm that he's NPR-style lightweight? Seems like that would be obvious going in.
zamboni

Postby badhat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm

did not know people loathed ronson.

hes a mixed bag, but very funny and interesting most of the time
gun solve all problems
badhat

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:35 pm

ronson is pretty emblematic of the pseudo-scientific pop-psychology and lazy scientism that dominates a lot of these NPR podcasts.

it's been years so i can't remember why but i hated the psychopath test and every interview i heard him do for you've been publicly shamed was some "wow really makes u think" style badness.

this is probably not A Thread For Me
light rail coyote

Postby badhat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:07 pm

i cant argue with that, psychopath test and the shame book were his least intersting works and ideas to me.

and he's definitely not a science journalist so much as a narrative nonfiction storyteller, but i like some of his storytelling.
gun solve all problems
badhat

Postby object » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 pm

i can't sleep without listening to a podcast
object

Postby badhat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 pm

i really miss the 4-5 years when i was training to race bikes and spending like 15-20 hours a week listening to podcasts on my bike.

i've given up on so many that i like a lot just cuz my backlog got so long.
gun solve all problems
badhat

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:18 am

Brian Beutler went to Crooked Media

That's a good pickup for them, he's been really good post-election
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 am

they just hired a bunch of new contributors
VHGisdead

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 am

Oh god they put Leo and Pundit on the Team page
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:38 am

I had been wondering where Beutler's podcast was
VHGisdead

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 am

VHGisdead wrote:I had been wondering where Beutler's podcast was

yeah me too
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby hyperbole man » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 am

woah, beutler news is great
hyperbole man

Postby various artists » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am

saranclaps wrote:I think a lotta ppl here loathe Jon Ronson, but I think The Butterfly Effect is pretty interesting. Nice to have a high-production quality podcast sans ads.

Liking it too. Ronson has been a known entity in the UK for years, and some of his old Guardian writing is fantastic. I think he's one of the good guys, and a step removed from the ultra-earnest, sometimes bland NPR style, that Louis Theroux and Adam Buxton gently mock on the latter's podcast.
various artists

Postby various artists » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am

saranclaps wrote:I think a lotta ppl here loathe Jon Ronson, but I think The Butterfly Effect is pretty interesting. Nice to have a high-production quality podcast sans ads.

Liking it too. Ronson has been a known entity in the UK for years, and some of his old Guardian writing is fantastic. I think he's one of the good guys, and a step removed from the ultra-earnest, sometimes bland NPR style, that Louis Theroux and Adam Buxton gently mock on the latter's podcast.
various artists

Postby inmate » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am

beutler is probably the columnist i agree with more consistently than any other i can think of off the top of my head, so this is good news
inmate

Postby badhat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:30 pm

sheen on west wing weekly is the salve i needed this week
gun solve all problems
badhat

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Natte DiMeo's - Memory Palace gave me chills today (as it regularly does)

if you liked (or even paid attention to) shoegaze at any point in your life, it probably will do the same for you.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:25 pm

...also, there was an ep he did about a year ago (i think as part of the Met residency) where the music sounded familiar, but i couldn't figure out why. i looked at the episode credits and it turned out to be an original composition from the keyboardist from tristeza and the album leaf.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby dr. badvibes » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 pm

i just got into podcasts for the first time

so what are the 5 best ones of all time?

options that haven't become dated and are TIMELESS. like i don't care how funny a host is, i can't listen to something where they're making references to harambe or mad men S4 or whatever
dr. badvibes

Postby grammatron » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Is the butterfly effect only on audible or something? I see a preview thing in the podcast app, but I episodes.
grammatron

Postby saranclaps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Only on Audible for now. He said on Twitter it'll be out elsewhere something in the fall IIRC. It's a weird, sad show though I liked it.
saranclaps

Postby Fullscreen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:19 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:i just got into podcasts for the first time

options that haven't become dated and are TIMELESS. like i don't care how funny a host is, i can't listen to something where they're making references to harambe or mad men S4 or whatever

This American life is an obvious recc with a huge backlog, but it generally fits your description.

The House on Loon Lake was the episode that got me into the show and I still relisten to it now and then
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby badhat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:31 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:i just got into podcasts for the first time

i dunno about all time but

non-comedy and evergreen/non-current event:

reply all
99% invisible
hardcore history
s-town
memory palace
song exploder

i think reply all has probably affected me more than any other. its the perfect blend of loose buddy banter, narrative nonfiction, technology and bizarro underbelly of the internet gawking.
gun solve all problems
badhat

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All