non-comedy podcasts

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby badhat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:07 pm

i think this weeks slate political finally seinfeld gif’d me enough to unsubscribe.

john has totally turned reasonableness into a tic
plotz basically was like “maybe liberals should start loving guns and that way it wont be a partisan split and we can make some progress on gun control”

im ooouuut
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:24 pm

badhat this was the week that finally made me unsubscribe as well, but because of plotz's assertion that puerto rican lives aren't worth our tax dollars
inanimate object...alive!

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Also I can no longer tolerate the wishy-washy middle-of-the-roadism that the gabfest represents. We have fucking nazis running our country and they get lost in semantics about whether it's right or wrong for the dems to seize upon a national crisis to score political points.
inanimate object...alive!

Postby badhat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:36 pm

inanimate object...alive! wrote:badhat this was the week that finally made me unsubscribe as well, but because of plotz's assertion that puerto rican lives aren't worth our tax dollars

jesus i didnt even get this far

can’t we just get jamelle and emily and a guest and dump plotz and john?
badhat

Postby Feech La Manna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Lovett or Leave It booked Brandon Wardell. This, I gotta hear.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby grammatron » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

I've tried Memory Palace a few times over the years, and I dunno if I'm just getting bad episodes or what but it never holds my attention at all.
grammatron

Postby light rail coyote » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 pm

inanimate object...alive! wrote:Also I can no longer tolerate the wishy-washy middle-of-the-roadism that the gabfest represents. We have fucking nazis running our country and they get lost in semantics about whether it's right or wrong for the dems to seize upon a national crisis to score political points.

i was never a huge fan of the gabfest and it was always a love-hate relationship, but i listened weekly from like 2011-2015 for some reason. eventually had to stop listening once they developed this pattern where the third segment of every episode basically began alternating between either sexual assault on ivy league campuses with david plotz basically making soft-MRA arguments or racist statues on ivy league campuses with all three of them being so tone deaf that i couldn't take it anymore.

david plotz is a legitimately awful, dumb human being and i dunno if it's a hot take or not but i legitimately don't understand why so many people seem to think that john dickerson is somehow a cut above someone like chuck todd. maybe not a bad person but the dude has never had an interesting or unique thought in his life. bazelon is better than the other two but it's faint praise since she can regularly be as tone deaf as john and david and her book on bullying sucks.

this is the most strongly worded post i've made since i've joined but man do i have a lot of pent up annoyance over this pointless podcast.
light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Plotz and Stephen Metcalf should have a contest to see who can get their head farther up their own ass
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby badhat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:00 pm

i pulled the plug on slate culture last year

though i dont really know why i ever listened other than like hate listening and dana stevens
badhat

Postby Pope Laserblast IV » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:06 pm

the gabfest is still useful, insofar as if someone tells me they listen to it i know their opinions aren't worth taking seriously
Pope Laserblast IV

Postby badhat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:34 pm

badhat wrote:
inanimate object...alive! wrote:badhat this was the week that finally made me unsubscribe as well, but because of plotz's assertion that puerto rican lives aren't worth our tax dollars

jesus i didnt even get this far

can’t we just get jamelle and emily and a guest and dump plotz and john?

ooof.

that was bad.
badhat

Postby grammatron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 am

This is a dumb thing, but it drives me crazy. On The West Wing Weekly, when they have a guest interview that's recorded on the phone rather than via skype or in person, they re-record Josh and/or Hrishi's parts of it so that they sound better. I first noticed it a while back when you could her Josh talking on the phone call in a coupl'a spots during an interview. And ever since I first noticed it, it completely distracts me every time they do a phone interview now. Their laughs sound totally fake. You'll hear little response words and sounds coming through the phone that aren't "on mic". And today I was listening to the episode for The Black Vera Wang, and during the interview w/ Mark Harmon, Mark says things like "You'd know better than me because you were there for a lot longer," or, "As you know from being on the show", but he's responding to something Hrishi asked, not Josh.

I'm sure this is something that's done in radio/podcasting pretty often, but I find it so distracting and irritating. It seems like it would be easy enough to set up a mic and record the host's voice through that while the conversation is happening.

I just tweeted to them to see if I could get confirmation of this.

Again, I realize this is a dumb thing to harp on.
grammatron

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:39 am

are they lying to you
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby grammatron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:45 am

Josh denied it. I don't believe him though.
grammatron

Postby grammatron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:45 am

So yes.
grammatron

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:48 am

not cool
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby grammatron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:56 pm

True Crime heads, check out Dirty John. I'm only just into the second episode, but it's really good so far.
grammatron

Postby shrinemaidens » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:27 pm

grammatron wrote:True Crime heads, check out Dirty John. I'm only just into the second episode, but it's really good so far.

thanks, halfway into the first ep right now and i'm hooked
shrinemaidens

Postby Shalabi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:46 am

Anyone else sick of 5 minutes of “housekeeping” at the beginning of every podcast these days?
Shalabi

Postby G_S » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

that's like the most minor complaint I've ever read on hpn.. and that's saying something!!
G_S

Postby neopolitan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 am

for people who like history, I've been enjoying Tides of History - Making of a Modern World. It's done by the guy who did the Fall of the Roman Empire podcast and it sort of covers the transition of the Roman world into the modern world. It does a great job explaining Europe moving from empire to feudalism to nation-states.
I reduced the temples of Elam to naught; their gods and goddesses I scattered to the winds. The tombs of their ancient and recent kings I devastated, I exposed to the sun, and I carried away their bones toward the land of Ashur.
neopolitan

Postby lunatic96 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:00 am

i usually fast forward through most of them these days.
lunatic96

Postby chimp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 am

You guys checked out ear hustle? It's made by prisoners at San Quentin, about the emotional and practical challenges of prison life. It's really good.
chimp

Postby chimp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:17 am

They just did an episode about people imprisoned for ridiculously long sentences for relatively minor offences under three-strikes laws. Heartbreaking
chimp

Postby saranclaps » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Is there anything good in the last 8-9 episodes of Crimetown or can I just delete them? They have been sitting unused.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby grammatron » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 pm

True Crime heads, don't bother with Hanging.
grammatron

Postby haddonfield » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm

chimp wrote:You guys checked out ear hustle? It's made by prisoners at San Quentin, about the emotional and practical challenges of prison life. It's really good.

this sounds awesome. thanks.
haddonfield

Postby G_S » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:18 pm

make sure to listen to the Ear Hustle about The Boom Boom Room
G_S

Postby thanks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 pm

shrinemaidens wrote:
grammatron wrote:True Crime heads, check out Dirty John. I'm only just into the second episode, but it's really good so far.

thanks, halfway into the first ep right now and i'm hooked

damn Dirty John is indeed very good
thanks

Postby badhat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 pm

ezra klein show has on Tig and theyre having a heavy convo about wenstein/louis/shitty dudes
badhat

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All