The official Toronto and surrounding area thread

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby harperesque » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Ottawa rent prices are like half of TO right now, definitely considering this shit
I've got to say sorry for that.
harperesque

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:46 pm

the only things i know culturally about Ottawa are Parliament and celebrated Canadian Oughts Indie-Folk project The Acorn.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby broodstar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:51 pm

u can eat and drink just fine in ottawa. the latter may require some digging cause i visit every year and still haven't found a decent dive

but my interests are mostly in film/music and film is a deadzone and the most notable shows youll get in ottawa are like badbadnotgood and colin stetson every single year

dunno much else but everyone in toronto calls ottawa the most boring town ever and everyone from ottawa assures me everything's better in to
broodstar

Postby qmass » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Ottawa has Ottawa Explosion weekend, which is the best punk/hc festival in Canada.
Ottawa has "House of Targ" pinball bar, which is the best of its kind in Canada.
Ottawa has good record stores, bands, food.

I like Ottawa a lot.
You couldn't pay me to live there.
qmass

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm

some rapper from Hamilton opened a show I went to in Toronto earlier this year and he he made it clear that people who move from Toronto to Hamilton deserve to be murdered. Something about how he wouldn't do it himself but would happily watch them be eviscerated in the street
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm

anyway Hamilton sounds like a pretty cool place to move to
VHGisdead

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:04 pm

last time i was in Toronto, someone told me that "Hamilton is Toronto's Brooklyn now"
:barney:
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby PBR_Streetgang » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Basically choose to drive on the 404, the 400 or the QEW.
PBR_Streetgang

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:49 pm

harperesque wrote:I'm pretty tired of TO but I also can't afford to move anywhere else so I'm gonna continue to live here and complain

Wait what Toronto is super expensive.
tricksforchips

Postby murderhorn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm

VHGisdead wrote:some rapper from Hamilton opened a show I went to in Toronto earlier this year and he he made it clear that people who move from Toronto to Hamilton deserve to be murdered. Something about how he wouldn't do it himself but would happily watch them be eviscerated in the street

Was it Motem?
murderhorn

Postby VHGisdead » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 pm

it was Lee Reed
VHGisdead

Postby murderhorn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Ah cool don't know him. I want to move back to Hamilton before they pull up the bridge. Get a job at McMaster and ticats season tickets and coach hockey and chase after kids that smash my pumpkins on Halloween.

On a related note I really like the debut album from Hamilton's own Aron D'Alasio who lived round the corner from me when I was a kid.
murderhorn

Postby futurist » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 pm

everyone i know who grew up in hamilton will never set foot back in that city ever again.
futurist

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Ti-Cats season tix would be deeply tight.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 pm

going to a game at Ivor Wynne was so fun. probably my favourite Canadian Football League live experience.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 pm

we did "Oskee Wee Wee" as lead by Pigskin Pete
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm

to go from the Armpit of Ontario to
ripersnifle wrote:Hamilton is Toronto's Brooklyn now" :barney:
ripersnifle

Postby harperesque » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 pm

tricksforchips wrote:
harperesque wrote:I'm pretty tired of TO but I also can't afford to move anywhere else so I'm gonna continue to live here and complain

Wait what Toronto is super expensive.

oh that's just my awkward phrasing, I mean I'm too poor from living in Toronto to even afford a deposit or vehicle to move somewhere else

on that note, anyone have experience with co-op housing in the city? :twisted:
I've got to say sorry for that.
harperesque

Postby mites » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I really like toronto think fondly of my time there often
mites

Postby Bartatua » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:28 pm

What's Kingston like
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby someguy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:24 am

hamilton sucks
apologies
someguy
ok

Postby murderhorn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:37 am

someguy wrote:hamilton sucks

murderhorn

Postby Bartatua » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 am

ratbag wrote:
Bartatua wrote:What's Kingston like

bad

Tell me more about that
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby murderhorn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 am

it's a small city overrun by the students of a jerk university for 9 months a year whose fiercest champion is the worst dude in the country (Don Cherry). real strong hockey tradition though even with Grapes tarnishing it, Doug Gilmour, Paul Coffey, Kirk Muller. also home of Bryan Adams and Bruce Cockburn and the Tragically Hip.

there are also lots of nice old buildings. and it's on the water and has an island across the seaway.
murderhorn

Postby Cringey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:43 am

Can't you say the same about a lot of shitty Ontario towns? Windsor, London, Kitchener, etc?

I have been to them all and their downtowns are all pretty dire looking which seem to be ghost towns filled with vagrants in the summers and full of university brats when school is in. Others (Peterborough, Belleville) are worse.
Cringey

Postby Cringey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am

ratbag wrote:Georgian Bay/Bruce County region is full of gems

I have never been that far up North - just East to West SW Ontario many times. I need to head to Thunder Bay in Oct or November for work and everything I have heard about that place is making me dread it.
Cringey

Postby Cringey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am

I like downtown Burlington as a visitor for a few days (especially in the summer months) but at the end of the day, I guess it is now just another bedroom community for people that work in Toronto.
Cringey

Postby Cringey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

ratbag wrote:i wish i could work at that lighthouse

Just move to the maritimes if you want to work in a lighthouse.
Cringey

Postby Cringey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

ratbag wrote:do you know how few manned lighthouses there are left in the world

Nope, but there look to be some staffed ones in Newfoundland: http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/LightstationsNL
Cringey

Postby Cringey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:45 am

ratbag wrote:yeah they already got staff in those ones though.

I am sure that a number of them will be dead soon so who knows. Maybe something will open up.
Cringey

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All