Obvious things that recently Don Don'd you

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby brittle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:11 am

blayk wrote:orcas aren't whales they're giant dolphins

bud, they're all just dogs who said fuckit and went back to ocean.

brittle

Postby tanaka » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 pm

tanaka wrote:that reminds me of the struggles i used to have with chinese directional words, where 后 means behind in terms of space (后面), but is in the future in terms of time (后天 - day after tomorrow; 后来 - afterwards), whereas 前 is in front of us in space but behind in time (前面 - in front; 前天 - the day before yesterday etc.)

from that perspective, rather than the future being something ahead of you, it's actually the opposite: you can see the immediate past which is right in front of you, the future is still unknown, as if you're walking backwards into it with only past experience to guide you

just had a dondon that demolishes the theory in my previous post

前途 means something like future prospects (ahead + route) - which contradicts the idea that ahead/in front (in terms of space) in chinese is connected with the past in terms of time

and then i was thinking about time/space words in english and thought about the word "before" - what came before is behind you, but what lies before you in front, is that right?

then there's terms like "forefather"

anyway, i guess that's what happens when you come up with cheesy psuedo-profound east/west comparisons :(

tanaka

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Fri May 04, 2018 12:37 am

when my coworker said today that the sky was black as pitch it don don'd me that in this phrase and "pitch black" we are referring to tar, as in black as tar.

i dont know what the fuck i was thinking pitch was for my entire life but here we are. don donning away.

Jerry Lundegaard

Postby brittle » Fri May 04, 2018 10:48 am

Same.

I thought pitch was sap. Just assumed pitch black had something to do with a tonal quality, like in music.

brittle

Postby pablito » Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am

tanaka wrote:
tanaka wrote:that reminds me of the struggles i used to have with chinese directional words, where 后 means behind in terms of space (后面), but is in the future in terms of time (后天 - day after tomorrow; 后来 - afterwards), whereas 前 is in front of us in space but behind in time (前面 - in front; 前天 - the day before yesterday etc.)

from that perspective, rather than the future being something ahead of you, it's actually the opposite: you can see the immediate past which is right in front of you, the future is still unknown, as if you're walking backwards into it with only past experience to guide you

just had a dondon that demolishes the theory in my previous post

前途 means something like future prospects (ahead + route) - which contradicts the idea that ahead/in front (in terms of space) in chinese is connected with the past in terms of time

and then i was thinking about time/space words in english and thought about the word "before" - what came before is behind you, but what lies before you in front, is that right?

then there's terms like "forefather"

anyway, i guess that's what happens when you come up with cheesy psuedo-profound east/west comparisons :(

if you imagine a line of days, the earlier days are at the front of the line
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby Milk » Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Two recent ones

Sit Mix-a-lot is a play on Sir Lancelot (not very good to be fair). I blame this one on the fact i always read Lancelot the french way (silent T) because it's how i learned it first so the link wasn't obvious on pronunciation.

Sundaes ARE named after the day even though the reason for the name (and spelling) are disputed. I mean i guess this doesn't count as much i mean obviously i'd, y'know, realised it was pronounced the same but it's weird i never thought of checking it out until now and i guess if asked would have assumed there was no relation.

i know i had another one but i forgot what it was now.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby wintergreen » Mon May 07, 2018 11:49 pm

laureate, as in nobel laureate, refers to being crowned with laurels.

i don't think i'd ever stopped to wonder about that before.

wintergreen

Postby joe » Tue May 08, 2018 12:04 am

Milk wrote:Sit Mix-a-lot is a play on Sir Lancelot

somehow never realized this

joe

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Tue May 08, 2018 5:08 pm

you ever get that thing when you realize that this cute girl you were really into in college actually sent you a huge pass that one night, like 15 years ago, when you were campfiring with friends on a hill, and you never got it until now ?
Last edited by jenmichaeljarre on Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenmichaeljarre

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed May 09, 2018 1:18 am

Wrong thread maybe but I've been saying assuaging (ah-sway-jing) as (ah-saw-jing) my whole life

FourLegsGood

Postby joe » Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 am

jenmichaeljarre wrote:you ever get that thing when you realize that this cute girl you were really into in college actually sent you a huge pass that one night, like 15 years go, when you were campfiring with friends on a hill, and you never got it until now ?

Oh god I refuse to think about this

joe

Postby hbb » Wed May 09, 2018 3:47 am

jenmichaeljarre wrote:you ever get that thing when you realize that this cute girl you were really into in college actually sent you a huge pass that one night, like 15 years go, when you were campfiring with friends on a hill, and you never got it until now ?

walking backwards into the future with only past experience to guide you

hbb

Postby board ghost » Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 am

i was told at my 10 year reunion that several band girls had wanted a piece back then

i was absolutely stunned and it made me re-evaluate a lotta shit
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby Annie May » Thu May 10, 2018 1:41 am

Today when i was taking a walk i saw one of those small planes with an ad banner and i realized 'prop plane' is short for propellor plane
Life's a journey :)

Annie May

Postby bugsbunnyseance » Fri May 11, 2018 1:54 am

Realized tonight that the ‘symbiote’ aliens are called that because they have a ‘symbiotic’ relationship with their hosts.

bugsbunnyseance

Postby separator » Sat May 12, 2018 9:09 am

steely dan - deacon blues

:x

separator

Postby terminus » Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 am

steely daniel
it's interesting, the posts

terminus

Postby Autarch » Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm

just realized that "schwing" from waynes world is supposed to be like the sound of a sword being unsheathed.

Autarch

Postby Autarch » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

just realized waynes world was really ahead of its time in terms of spoofing public access tv.

Autarch

Postby blues » Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 am

not exactly a don don but it just occurred to me how mindbogglingly strange it is that we havent found life anywhere else outside of earth
blues

Postby mcwop23 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 am

blues wrote:not exactly a don don but it just occurred to me how mindbogglingly strange it is that we havent found life anywhere else outside of earth

pluto has gone from this to this the past 24 years

i think we’ll get there soon enough
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Kenny » Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 am

There's a cool quote that I'm not gonna google to find out who said it but it's something like "There's two answers: Either we are alone as life in the universe, or we are not, and both are mindblowing"

I also think that there are probably things that are alive that we don't have a conception of as being alive, or maybe ways to register it
Last edited by Kenny on Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby aububs » Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 am

yeah we're getting there slowly but it's also weird that aliens haven't found us

there must be super advanced aliens out there

maybe they're ignoring us
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby mcwop23 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 am

aububs wrote:
there must be super advanced aliens out there

maybe they're ignoring us

well yeah
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Kenny » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 am

I agree on the contacting part, but I think the odds of seeing evidence of extraterrestrial life is higher

Edit: I googled it and the real quote is cooler and by Arthur C Clarke:
Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
Last edited by Kenny on Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 am

us being the only living things observable is basically all theists have

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby hbb » Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 am

universe wrote:Space is very big and very old and we’ve been able to monitor it for like the cosmic equivalent of a nanosecond. The odds of us coexisting with and making contact with an advanced civilization are literally astronomical.

When you think about it, there is only one post/username

hbb

Postby blues » Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 am

i love you guys
blues

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 am

Possibly quite niche X-Men related Don Don:

The Juggernaut, who seeks to murder his step-brother Professor X, is named Cain Marko

Cain Marko
Marko, Cain
Mark of Cain

HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 am

HotFingersClub

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley