Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby draw » Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm

. wrote:love those languages

HTML + css is Turing complete so jokes on you
draw

Postby ecto » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:59 am

lets all move to gitlab
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby doublethink0 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:08 pm

lol
doublethink0

Postby ogdoad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I actually prefer gitlab over github
ogdoad

Postby mooncalf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

I have a FB screen next Monday (which I'm doing in person) and then a Google onsite the next Monday after that. Starting to lose it with the amount of studying I've been doing the past month.
mooncalf

Postby pantsoclock » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 pm

tell them programming is for losers. they'll be very impressed.

But seriously, the answer to every dumb brain teaser coding question like "find the longest palindromes" or whatever is: use a heap and use more memory to save cpu cycles. The answer to every actual question like "design a thing to do X" is to ask lots of questions about the user and their use cases and the limitations of the technology available to solve the problem.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby mooncalf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:39 pm

pantsoclock wrote:tell them programming is for losers. they'll be very impressed.

But seriously, the answer to every dumb brain teaser coding question like "find the longest palindromes" or whatever is: use a heap and use more memory to save cpu cycles. The answer to every actual question like "design a thing to do X" is to ask lots of questions about the user and their use cases and the limitations of the technology available to solve the problem.

Totally, I've been grinding Leetcode for the DS + algo questions and I'm definitely starting to see the patterns, typically use a hash table, a map (tree), or a heap to speed things up. I implemented a trie for the first time the other day to answer a questions and it wasn't really difficult. The other questions where a DS doesn't really help seems to fall into a limited area: either using two pointers or sort+binary search or DP, etc.

Luckily, Google recruiter said no system design question out of the 5 interviews, probably because I'll be going in as a junior I imagine. Which is good because I've never actually built anything, and certainly not to scale. I still studied up on it a little though just in case my recruiter was mistaken and because if I pass the FB screen they will have a design question on the real interview. Hopefully the will ask how I would design TinyURL because that's the one example I looked at :)
mooncalf

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:54 pm

that fb process is nuts, did you do the intro session? 3 hours, actual whiteboard shit

i bailed after that. i'm just not sure i'm interested in those hoops
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:54 pm

the fb job I was looking at was in NYC, which my recruiter sold as heaven with just 300 or so employees

i guess i got scared by the amount of work i'd have to do to prep
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:56 pm

google I interviewed as a PM and had three great interviews and then one where

1) the person on the phone had a very strong accent so I basically said "I'm sorry?" after every question
2) perhaps by being so flustered I gave a really dumb answer to one of those stupid questions they ask about your guesses regarding the way google works
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:57 pm

the question was "how much do you think youtube pays for bandwidth for the month?"

in retrospect i guess the idea is to see your thought process but honestly I don't see what value that question presents
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby saranclaps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:58 pm

mooncalf, your background is cs i'm guessing?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby mooncalf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:03 pm

. wrote:that fb process is nuts, did you do the intro session? 3 hours, actual whiteboard shit

i bailed after that. i'm just not sure i'm interested in those hoops

nah, for me the first part is just a typical coding screen, 1-2 algo questions in like 45-50 minutes is my understanding. will be doing it on a whiteboard since I decided to go into their office for it, otherwise would've been a shared online document while talking on the phone.

if I pass, then the real interview will be like 3 typical coding interviews, one system design, and one behavioral where you might do a small coding problem at the end. this is all for menlo park though, so they might do it differently in nyc. i was first contacted by a nyc recruiter but i told them i didn't want to relocate back to the east coast.

google was a phone screen with a not-too-hard question that i coded in a google doc. onsite will just be 5 more of these, though probably harder, and on a whiteboard.
mooncalf

Postby mooncalf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:07 pm

saranclaps wrote:mooncalf, your background is cs i'm guessing?

i was a math major in undergrad, then went to law school and practiced as an attorney for a dozen years. i was a total drug addict/alcoholic that whole time though. got sober, realized i hated being a lawyer after a little bit, and taught myself programming. been doing tech support for the past three years, which i like, but i stopped learning anything about two years and i have no real career path. so now trying to become the world's oldest jr swe at age 40. i started doing contests a couple years ago for fun and did pretty OK which is how i started getting recruiter calls.
mooncalf

Postby Jewtron » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:17 pm

did the fb process for data engineer position. two phone screens, virtual whiteboard, on-site in menlo park (4 hour-long sessions, 3 of which were whiteboards).

no offer, but interesting. prep was stressful.
Jewtron

Postby draw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Jewtron wrote:did the fb process for data engineer position. two phone screens, virtual whiteboard, on-site in menlo park (4 hour-long sessions, 3 of which were whiteboards).

What questions did you get?
draw

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:10 pm

to go through all that, just to work on making grandparents more addicted to a website...

how good was the pay?
Ferrous Bueller

Postby draw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:13 pm

. wrote:the question was "how much do you think youtube pays for bandwidth for the month?"

in retrospect i guess the idea is to see your thought process but honestly I don't see what value that question presents

That's a dumbass question. Those consulting-style questions are like one tier above non-programming brainteasers w.r.t. how pointless they are
draw

Postby Jewtron » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 pm

draw wrote:
Jewtron wrote:did the fb process for data engineer position. two phone screens, virtual whiteboard, on-site in menlo park (4 hour-long sessions, 3 of which were whiteboards).

What questions did you get?

second phone screen was light sql. easy.

virtual whiteboard was more involved sql and general programming problems on data structures, algorithms, recursion (used python). went pretty well.

on-site was various business cases. started off with generating the usual KPIs (DAUs, MAUs, etc.), then my input on other helpful metrics. moved on to more advanced business cases related to areas the company is moving into. had to write an algorithm to process data at their scale. mostly questions about what metrics i would use and how to visualize the data. probably went as well as it could have for my first go at something like this. a couple hiccups along the way, but just kept talking with the interviewer(s). no long/uncomfortable silences.

i only ticked a few of the skills on the JD. for the bay area i'm sure they found someone with a much deeper skill set.
Jewtron

Postby draw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:42 pm

mooncalf wrote:
pantsoclock wrote:tell them programming is for losers. they'll be very impressed.

Totally, I've been grinding Leetcode for the DS + algo questions and I'm definitely starting to see the patterns, typically use a hash table, a map (tree), or a heap to speed things up. I implemented a trie for the first time the other day to answer a questions and it wasn't really difficult. The other questions where a DS doesn't really help seems to fall into a limited area: either using two pointers or sort+binary search or DP, etc.

Luckily, Google recruiter said no system design question out of the 5 interviews, probably because I'll be going in as a junior I imagine. Which is good because I've never actually built anything, and certainly not to scale. I still studied up on it a little though just in case my recruiter was mistaken and because if I pass the FB screen they will have a design question on the real interview. Hopefully the will ask how I would design TinyURL because that's the one example I looked at :)

Google no longer does system design questions btw
draw

Postby roland.farts » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:59 pm

draw wrote:
mooncalf wrote:

Google no longer does system design questions btw

i thought they still do them for L4 and up (maybe L5?). L3 is the entry level swe.
roland.farts

Postby draw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Oh yeah for senior positions they might still do them
draw

Postby boost » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 pm

anyone working with augmented reality?
Last edited by boost on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
boost

Postby boost » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:15 pm

boost

Postby draw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 am

the internet never forgets boost
draw

Postby something sensible if » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 pm

are there any certifications actually worth getting that anyone cares about? i primarily build web applications with java and javascript if that matters. would be a nice change of pace to study for something but probably im better off just building stuff as usual. i was reminded of this because i looked at some questions for the OCA Java cert and its basically literally all trick questions which i thought was insulting/funny/intriguing.
something sensible if

Postby night city » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm

not that i know of. some of my coworkers have started the Google certification but I can't imagine that's actually worth much. most of them say it's mostly beginner stuff anyway.

that being said if you're just looking to study stuff, frontend masters has some pretty good courses.
night city

Postby pantsoclock » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

java is weird in that there are all these deep enterprise frameworks that go so far beyond its role as a programming language, and they still talk about "beans" but haven't updated that functionality for any of the more modern language features. So like, https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/ServiceLoader.html is how you're supposed to do dependency injection natively (basically you specify which implementation of an interface you're using by putting the fully qualified class name of the implementation in a file named after the interface class in your META-INF directory), but it's an Iterable. No collection of implementations, no streams, Iterable. So if you want to find a particular implementation, you best get to writing that for loop.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy
pantsoclock

Postby draw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Imagine how shitty Ruby is gonna look in 12 years
draw

Postby pantsoclock » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Honestly I'm not even dissing Java I actually kind of love it, but there's a lot of archeology to be done into the feature decisions that have been made over the years, obviously enabled by the fact that Java maintains backwards compatibility for almost everything so nothing ever gets deprecated.
pantsoclock

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....