Postby draw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 pm

By "Ruby" I meant both the language and the ecosystem
draw

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 pm

People still work in Ruby, I'm told
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Autarch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:10 pm

have a job interview for a company that i know does rails back end and so i've spent the last 2 days just sort of reading about ruby and it seems kind of shitty tbh.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 pm

It's just like a less fun/good python

Luckily all the legacy Ruby is being replaced by go at my co now
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 pm

The downside to that is all the go stuff gets refactored whenever the go community moves onto a new dependency manager
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby husbands » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm

django is so crazy

like who thought __ would be the right way to do what it does
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby jca » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I like ruby/rails now
jca

Postby boost » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:32 pm

boost

Postby Autarch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm

coding game
code fights
code wars
code genocide
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby something sensible if » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:43 pm

codewars changed my life in some small way i think, just knowing i was able to figure out dozens of those problems

i can solve dozens of problems

seriously though
something sensible if

Postby something sensible if » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 pm

im in the top 2% in codewars come at me

top 50% i think means you did more than 1 problem
something sensible if

Postby draw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm on a see .ninja TLD diet. I see .ninja, I click on it.
draw

Postby boost » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 pm

boost

Postby draw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Coincidentally I had to write a bunch of Ruby today and I think I was misremembering/underestimating what a disgrace that shit is
draw

Postby draw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 pm

It's the most Ruby thing ever that there's supposedly a convention of putting a ! after method to signify that it modifies internal state but like 30% of libraries I've seen use it to mean that something generically "dangerous" is happening lmao
draw

Postby draw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 pm

If I had a cursed monkey paw with 3 wishes I'd probably use one to wish Ruby out of existence
draw

Postby jca » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Signaling is polite
jca

Postby mooncalf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Passed my FB screen :) Google onsite next week, setting up time for FB onsite with recruiter tomorrow. Think I'm going to ask for 4-5 weeks (cause I know I could benefit from the extra time) with the option to move it up if it looks like I'm going to get an offer from G.
mooncalf

Postby something sensible if » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

thats tite mooncalf. how long have you been programming?

im sorta shocked how much i felt like i hated programming for like the last 4 years and how much i get along with it now. there was sort of a moment when it started to feel like i was good enough. but in the grand scheme of things i'm just another mid-level developer (which is like still sick as hell to me).
something sensible if

Postby boost » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm

boost

Postby mooncalf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 am

something sensible if wrote:thats tite mooncalf. how long have you been programming?

im sorta shocked how much i felt like i hated programming for like the last 4 years and how much i get along with it now. there was sort of a moment when it started to feel like i was good enough. but in the grand scheme of things i'm just another mid-level developer (which is like still sick as hell to me).

I've been programming for about 3 years, but I don't really program at all for my job (I do tech support at a data center). Almost all of my improvement over that time has come from doing contests for fun. Sadly, I've never actually built anything worthwhile, I have no project portfolio or anything. I just like solving dumb math problems with code cause I'm sick that way :)

But I am at least a little nervous about making a career out of it. As my wife points out to me, coding makes me go a little crazy when I'm working on a tough problem. Especially a problem that's causing me difficulty that I think I should be able to figure out the algorithm for but can't quite crack. I tend to get somewhat obsessed and stuck in my head with it.
mooncalf

Postby mynamerocks » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 am

husbands wrote:django is so crazy

like who thought __ would be the right way to do what it does

probably because that's what gettext mostly used/usual historical artefacts? like space-saving unixy names still rumbling on (though they're usually more meaningful!)
mynamerocks

Postby mynamerocks » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:40 am

mooncalf wrote:
something sensible if wrote:thats tite mooncalf. how long have you been programming?

But I am at least a little nervous about making a career out of it. As my wife points out to me, coding makes me go a little crazy when I'm working on a tough problem. Especially a problem that's causing me difficulty that I think I should be able to figure out the algorithm for but can't quite crack. I tend to get somewhat obsessed and stuck in my head with it.

I think that would be less of an issue when working on problems at work. Mainly because the problems are likely to be more broad/less solution/algo based, but also because you'll at least be able to share the difficulty around. Go for it! Is it the NY FB office? A friend of mine is working alongside one of the teams there and really likes the people.
mynamerocks

Postby mooncalf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:02 am

mynamerocks wrote:I think that would be less of an issue when working on problems at work. Mainly because the problems are likely to be more broad/less solution/algo based, but also because you'll at least be able to share the difficulty around. Go for it! Is it the NY FB office? A friend of mine is working alongside one of the teams there and really likes the people.

I interviewed at the main Menlo Park office. The people were super nice and I think I had a real nice rapport with my interviewer. I did feel a little slow on the uptake at times, I think mostly due to nerves since it was my first ever whiteboarding interview. One think I picked up on is that compared to Google, the average age seemed somewhat younger (this is just by the 30 or so minutes I spent sitting in each of their lobbies, so small sample size). I'm an older dude career-changer (turned 40 earlier this year) but it doesn't bother me at all to be working with/under younger people, so long as it doesn't bother them to have a portly graybeard junior around :)

Thanks for the encouragement! From talking to the working developers I know, it does seem that day-to-day engineering is more about using tools that insanely smart PHDs developed and moving data back and forth. So, yeah, it's probably not the same as working through a knotty algo problem. At the same time, since I have virtually no experience doing whatever it is that a SWE does, I'm sure the ramp up will be difficult if not a little harrowing. But I'm actually looking forward to that part, I want to stuff my brain full of whatever I can to make myself better. Especially since I'm starting so late in life.
mooncalf

Postby mynamerocks » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:24 am

That matches what I've heard from him and others, everyone is quite young and very driven, but it seems pretty clear that you are too. I'm about to do the opposite switch, jumping from a small company where I learned an enormous amount from mostly older, very senior engineers, to a younger place. I was working remotely for a large chunk of it and my social life sort of vanished so I'm pretty keen to get back in a local office...
mynamerocks

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Love when I find out a billion-dollar tech company has a critical vulnerability with how they handle user information but no bug bounty program.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby draw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 pm

You dishin goss sc?
draw

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 pm

saranclaps wrote:Love when I find out a billion-dollar tech company has a critical vulnerability with how they handle user information but no bug bounty program.

Then sell it
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

draw wrote:You dishin goss sc?
No I literally just happened to look at the html of a website.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....