Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby camping » Fri May 11, 2018 5:52 pm

oh jeez, i know the guy who wrote that medium piece and didn't realize it til the very end. really good stuff.
Johan POOPLER wrote:girls see your dick and it reminds them of their saddest birthday
camping
i wish i cared

Postby nice pass » Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm

You guessed it, Frank Stallone
nice pass
ok

Postby something sensible if » Fri May 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Years ago when I shared this thing I made on facebook I mentioned that I quit drinking and "even though i only really drank on the weekends" sobriety made a huge impression on me. now i'm thinking that is word for word something a drunk would claim and i wonder if anyone put that together. in any case it's probably pretty cool to watch a drunk who is oblivious to the fact he is a drunk excitedly become sober.
something sensible if

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

started that Jamison last night and have been delving into it today

very good so far.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

RIXX wrote:I remember enjoying this a couple years ago

Jamison makes reference to this.
i need to check this out, too. might be next on the docket for me.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

i listened to the recovering on audiobook for 75% of it or so, jamison herself narrates and does a great job

cant really overstate how important this book is for me already
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 16, 2018 12:28 pm

yea i was about to post that this feels very fortuitous to me to have found this text at this moment
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 am

When I started to drink, to really drink, to become conscious of my drinking not just in terms of pleasure but escape, I was ashamed, but also proud. My urgent attempts to disappear from myself suggested there was something dark and important - depression, neurosis, psychic complexity - that required disappearing from. It wasn't that I slipped on pain as a garment. It was more that I tried to understand the pain as a psychic compost, something with an aesthetic purpose. I wanted it to complicate and deepen me.

pretty taken aback at this paragraph from early on in Jamison when i encountered it yesterday.
ripersnifle

Postby bongo » Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 am

yeah that hit me hard too, and there are countless moments like that throughout. glad youre liking it :)

im actually sent an email to jamison to thank her for this book :oops:
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby ripersnifle » Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm

somewhat unrelated but,
hearty lol @ Dave having played "my girls" for Jamison on p. 139-40

ah Obama and Animal Collective - feels like lifetimes ago at this point tbh
Toggle Spoiler
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 pm

bongo wrote:im actually sent an email to jamison to thank her for this book :oops:
this is sick. i might do the same.
ripersnifle

Postby Spoons » Thu May 17, 2018 1:48 pm

bongo wrote:i listened to the recovering on audiobook for 75% of it or so, jamison herself narrates and does a great job

cant really overstate how important this book is for me already

is this in the dropbox?
bongo wrote:spoons pounds
Spoons

Postby bongo » Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm

ebook thread i believe
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Spoons » Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 pm

no audiobook version?
bongo wrote:spoons pounds
Spoons

Postby bongo » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm

oh, sorry. im listening to the audiobook with audible fwiw
bongo
man in hammock

Postby mooncalf » Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 pm

bongo wrote:also - ctw, other people who strike me as more versed in recovery lit - what are some titles that have been valuable to you?

i am interested in john berrymans "the recovery" right now, may pick that up next

Not a recovery book, and I'd bet that most in here have already read it, but I think the book to me that best distills my alcoholic life to its essence is jesus' son. That said, when I recommended in to my wife who's going on 12 years sober now, she had to put it down because it brought her back too vividly

“When he was dry, he believed it was alcohol he needed, but when he had a few drinks in him, he knew it was something else, possibly a woman; and when he had it all -- cash, booze, and a wife -- he couldn't be distracted from the great emptiness that was always falling through him and never hit the ground.”

“Sometimes what I wouldn't give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 a.m. telling lies to one another, far from God.”

“The Vine had no jukebox, but a real stereo continually playing tunes of alcoholic self-pity and sentimental divorce "Nurse," I sobbed. She poured doubles like an angel, right up to the lip of a cocktail glass, no measuring. " You have a lovely pitching arm." You had to go down on them like a hummingbird over a blossom. I saw her much later, not too many years ago, and when I smiled she seemed to believe I was making advances. But it was only that I remembered. I'll never forgot you. Your husband will beat you with an extension cord and the bus will pull away leaving you standing there in tears, but you were my mother.”

And on AA

“All these weirdos, and me getting a little better every day right in the midst of them. I had never known, never even imagined for a heartbeat, that there might be a place for people like us.”
mooncalf

Postby mascotte » Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 am

Going to an AA picnic today with my daughter. It's my third summer w/o alcohol, not so long ago during such a warm, sunny Saturday I'd prepare a BBQ and invite a buch of friends, start serving myself chilled prosecco w. orange juice or beer before anyone arrives to get in the mood. Around midday I would be moderately inebriated and the most important thing for me would be if booze is chilled enough when the ppl come and if there's enough of it. I'd count the bottles again and again to make sure everyone gets served and there's a surplus for me., extra 3 bottles just in case. If somehow we run out of fuel I'd sneak out to the nearest store to buy more, gratifying myself with a small vodka on my way back, reentering the party like a king, shaking the bags and sharing the bottles with everyone. Drink, drink, everyone! Gay and loud, red faced and sweating like a pig I'd turn the steaks around, pouring beer over them and pouring more into my mouth. When the booze and the sunshine combined were hammering me too hard I sneaked out again to take some stimulants for a balance, at thus stage I felt sober again and I felt like I got immuned to ethanol so I served myself even more beer and then even more coke, some RCs or whatever wast left after the yesterday's binge. Sweating like fuck now, too coked up to talk reasonably with anyone I nervously held one hand in my pocket to make sure I don't lose the zipbag with a tinier and tinier amount of crystalline white substance, my only connection with the world around. But my apetite was usually huge and I never got enough of drugs and alcohol, so I usually sniffed out everything before the end of the day and eventually collapsed somewhere, on the couch, on the grass or where the children played, it didn't matter. I lost that battle that day but I knew that someone somewhere, some distant FB friend was preparing for a Sunday BBQ and that I must be there with another zip bag in my jeans pocket, a bag of chilled beers or something stronger that time, no matter what.
mascotte

Postby antoine » Sat May 19, 2018 10:41 am

Congrats mascotte
antoine

Postby Hideaway Lights » Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 am

Over a year sober from weed, 11 months sober from drinking

Been working on an album about recovery
Hideaway Lights

Postby bongo » Sat May 19, 2018 2:14 pm

congrats mascotte and HL :)
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 am

Thinking of going to 'Bristol Secular Sobriety'

I've fallen off the wagon a few times after spending time around my dad who seems to be going through a bottle of wine a day now and I think I'm still on the right path but the debilitating anxiety of a hangover has got me straight back to worrying if I'm actually capable of this : / (I'm sure I am)
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 am

It's amazing how much better I feel after not drinking. I think I've done three days off total since I had a sober November
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby ripersnifle » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm

finished the Jamison tonight.
very moving book that i'm probably going to be thinking about for a long while.
ripersnifle

Postby RIXX » Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 pm

has anyone read the book tweak by nic sheff?

apparently they adapted it into a film with tim chalamet and steve carell
RIXX

Postby big zorb » Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm

i am not completely sober (usually drink on fridays and saturdays only now though which is a pretty big improvement from like 15 beers a day for a year solid toward the end of my huge depressive spell) but i agree with nathan, it is nuts how good i felt today even when i had a bad night's sober sleep. just waking up and realizing the only thing i had to face today was being a bit tired and not, you know, hangover stomach or hiding shakes or any of that shit got me out of the tired rut so quickly. very much gives me confidence that if i ever want to just say fuck it, i'm out of this completely, i totally could.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby something sensible if » Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 pm

i drank only on the weekends for like 6 years and quitting was the hardest thing ive ever done in my life
something sensible if

Postby something sensible if » Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 pm

neh
something sensible if

Postby j-ol » Thu May 24, 2018 5:40 pm

bongo wrote:also - ctw, other people who strike me as more versed in recovery lit - what are some titles that have been valuable to you?

i am interested in john berrymans "the recovery" right now, may pick that up next

i think i'll pick up jamison's book, even though i normally steer clear of hardcover editions. y'all have piqued my interest in this one... recovery memoirs are sorta dime/dozen but i'm drawn to the existence of a literary account that discusses the relationship between intoxication and creativity, devotes a chapter to carver, etc. will report back!

i found marc lewis' memoirs of an addicted brain to be really insightful. he's a developmental psychologist/neuroscientist who battled polysubstance addiction for years, got kicked out of grad school for stealing and getting high on research chemicals, and is now a professor in holland who debates nora volkow about whether addiction is a diease. his newer work, the biology of desire, is essential reading as well imo.

oh and def read mate's in the realm of hungry ghosts.
j-ol

Postby bongo » Sat May 26, 2018 6:57 pm

i’m at a wedding and i realized it’s my first sober wedding as an adult. usually would be pounding bourbons and wine and ultimately making a fool of myself/doing something inappropriate/blacking out

been playing with some kids and taking peoples pictures and talking to a woman who just turned 102(!) and drinking dr browns root beer. it’s great!
bongo
man in hammock

Postby antoine » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 pm

j-ol wrote:

i think i'll pick up jamison's book, even though i normally steer clear of hardcover editions. y'all have piqued my interest in this one... recovery memoirs are sorta dime/dozen but i'm drawn to the existence of a literary account that discusses the relationship between intoxication and creativity, devotes a chapter to carver, etc. will report back!

i found marc lewis' memoirs of an addicted brain to be really insightful. he's a developmental psychologist/neuroscientist who battled polysubstance addiction for years, got kicked out of grad school for stealing and getting high on research chemicals, and is now a professor in holland who debates nora volkow about whether addiction is a diease. his newer work, the biology of desire, is essential reading as well imo.

oh and def read mate's in the realm of hungry ghosts.

Yeah I read memoirs of an addicted brain and really liked it. All the details of the neuroscience behind why we crave drugs/alcohol was interesting. Like there's a whole biological level behind everything, it's not just "I like drinking that's why I drink". It's interesting to think about how much agency we really have when so much of it is driven by this or that amount of chemicals joining and guiding our decisions and wants and desires.
antoine

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....