Sobriety

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Pope Laserblast IV » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am

Yeah that is a grade A opportunity to look generous at no cost to you. Lemons, lemonade, etc.
Pope Laserblast IV

Postby . » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:05 am

30 days did feel great

Stay strong
ride.

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:16 am

give the scotch to bacharach, he’ll know what to do
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby southpaw » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:27 am

Give the scotch to me, I'll nose it and never drink it

Double sobriety win
southpaw

Postby southpaw » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 am

I quit drinking in 08 and have had only a few drinks since then

I've continued smoking weed though and while it's a way better vice it's still a vice and what was mildly habitual is straight up dependence at this point. It's basically cigarette smoking to me: upon waking, after meals, before working out, after, before bed.

I'm visiting a friend's grave later with what I hope is my last puff. Starting my detox in a state where getting weed is a challenge so that should help immensely. I know the first three days will be a challenge. Daily use since 2001.
southpaw

Postby gold and glass » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:47 am

not gonna claim i was "sober" since i currently smoke mad weed, BUT

i was a year booze-free on december 26th

edit: had not seen southpaw's post before posting this. good luck quitting, i'll be there with you
Last edited by gold and glass on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Organic Croutons » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:49 am

Edit **directed at Southpaw

Buy tons of candy

Try to incorporate some new hobbies. Working out?

Best of luck. Know that smoking weed once in a blue moon is harmless really, but as you (and I..I've been there) know it compounds and when you always think "1 more time is irrelevant" then 1 time equals 1 million times its kind of abstinence or going full bore. I can't moderate a fucking thing.
Organic Croutons

Postby Cone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:54 am

gold and glass wrote:not gonna claim i was "sober" since i currently smoke mad weed, BUT

i was a year booze-free on december 26th

Hell yeah
Cone

Postby bongo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:56 am

congrats g&g
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Cone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:59 am

Organic Croutons wrote:Buy tons of candy

My first couple days booze-free I was putting back 1-2 bags of sour patch kids a day. Remember to brush and floss, my dude.

I started smoking cigarettes again which I’m a little ashamed of but it’s only 1-2 a day and never around other people. Hopefully I’ll kick that soon and just be vice free but it’s kind of helping for now.
Cone

Postby internethandle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:34 pm

yeah when i first got sober i was drinking double gulps or whatever are the largest size from 7-eleven of diet coke/diet dr. pepper regularly, along with like sour straws and m&ms and just huge meals and all other sorts of shit. it was largely psychological - my mind was so conditioned to drinking that it felt compelled to consume something at certain times/in certain contexts - and it faded but i think that's pretty normal.

i'll be 29 mo in about a week. feeling pretty good! i appreciate this thread because part of my neurosis is a sense of ever-looming crises of self-improvement, so it's good to remind myself that i've accomplished this rather dramatic life change already and ease up on myself.
internethandle
ok

Postby i won a contest » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

I'm a week in (again). Why do I still feel hungover every morning when I wake up?
i won a contest

Postby The Emperor's Son » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 pm

beaming for bingo, cone, sdz, and g&g

8 yrs just snuck up on me jan. 1
The Emperor's Son

Postby mooncalf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm

congrats to all the folks with sobriety milestones :D

i'm at 6.5 years and finally managed to quit nicotine a few months ago. i had been hooked on the lozenge for like 5 years. it was harder than i thought it would be! i also married a girl in december that i met at a midnight aa meeting 6 years ago. yesterday i teared up in gratitude for how good i've got it. for anyone struggling, just know that it gets better and that it's worth it
mooncalf

Postby bongo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm

dang thats rad mooncalf

and shit 8 years tes... amazing <3
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm

i broke down and had a glass of wine a few nights when i was home with my Ma, as she enjoys having a drink together and talking.

not the best feeling to break my streak really, but it rly drove home for me how much my own problematic drinking was related to the social context of wherever (and whoever) i was drinking (with).

sincere congrats to anyone that can get through the holidays dry - it's such a loaded/stressful time.

when i was home, i learned that one of my relatives had gone away for treatment for an alcohol problem over the last year, so the gathering that we typically have with her and her family was dry this year and it was such a relief, as it was typically an event i have previously drank a lot at out of feelings of social anxiety.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm

to learn that this relative had sought treatment also illuminated a lot of her previous behaviour around the holidays, like spending all day cooking (and drinking in secret) and then, as evening proceeded, having these conversations with her that were hard to follow or even sometimes offensive before she suddenly would have to "lie down"/disappear and not come back.

alcohol dependency can be hiding in plain sight like that for such a long time.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet
ripersnifle wrote:that aesthetic was tight
worrywort wrote:it's called the temple grandin
ripersnifle

Postby JohnK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Congrats on all the milestones, everyone.

Had kind of a weird experience last night. We went out to dinner for LadyK’s stepfather’s birthday and her bipolar sister who is very much in the throes of addiction was also the unexpectedly. I’ve never had a problem with her because she’s never been anything but polite to me, the only thing I usually can’t stand is the way she talks to her family mostly her mother. But Lady K tries to avoid her at all costs. Anyway, everything was going just fine until the waiter brought out the Wrong thing for her and she got upset at which point her mother tried to intervene preemptively and kind of smooth things over. This set her off and she started back-and-forth with her telling her “oh is this how you want it to be? we can go back-and-forth all night etc. etc.” at which point my wife had had enough and said “why do you have to act like this?” She stands up in front of everyone and lunges at my wife, getting about an inch or two away from her face and says “why do you have to be such a stupid bitch?” And I lost it. I instantly felt my face turn red and my whole body got hot and I was shaking and I said “ you need to get out of her face and sit the fuck down right now.” And she looks at me and says “oh yeah? What the fuck are you gonna do about it?!” And I told her that I’d drag her out of that motherfucker by her hair if I needed to. I never raised my voice or anything but of course everyone in the restaurant was staring at us and it was just the most embarrassing thing. I immediately felt like a huge piece of shit for saying what I said and I immediately wanted a glass of beer. Over the last 4+ years I’ve really tried working on my temper, the way I talk to people, avoiding unnecessary conflict, blah blah blah, but in that probably 30 seconds time I felt just like I used to and It scared the living shit out of me and I felt like just this immense regret that I can’t even explain. I mean I 10th stepped it and found her number in my wife’s phone and texted her apologizing, not for defending my wife, but for threatening her. And she apologized too, but I still feel shitty about it today. I’ve tried really hard to leave that impulsive, destructive, chaotic shit behind, but in that moment it felt like I hadn’t been gone a day. I don’t know. I’m coming up on 5 years and I guess in a way it’s good stuff like this happens in order to remind me or whatever, but I would really like to get to the point where things wouldn’t trigger me to want to drink in such a visceral way. I guess because it’s been so long since something has given me that feeling with that kind of immediacy that I got so freaked out. Oh well. Guess I’ll just keep on keepin on.
JohnK

Postby came to wreck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm

its normal to get triggered from something like that and yeah it can be scary to revert back to your old self in an instance but you seemed to have handled it all very well considering and cleaned up your side of the street and apologized for your actions. dont beat yourself up too much about it, im sure its miles away from how you would of reacted if you were using and every day is another day to learn and grow and keep trying to do the next right thing. i dont think ill ever be at the point where its impossible to get triggered from something if it hits me in just the wrong way at the wrong time etc. i try to just stay vigilant and on top of my program so that when the time comes that i do inevitability get triggered by something i wont go for the drink and can handle it with more dignity than i would of in the past just like how it seems you were able to handle this difficult and triggering situation with more dignity than you would of 5 yrs ago. all i can do is recognize when i screw up and take responsibility for my actions and realize that every day is a new one and its not the end of the world if bad things happen cause eventually everything comes to pass and change is inevitable. progress not perfection

congrats to all those with sobriety anniversaries!
Last edited by came to wreck on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
came to wreck

Postby Macgregor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I've been finding it extremely hard to maintain my peace the last several months, and lost my temper with some family over Christmas like I haven't in a long, long time

It sounds like you handled it all extremely well, but that feeling of an internal, emotional relapse is definitely freaky
Macgregor

Postby Macgregor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:04 pm

'Extremely well' relative to all the other possible outcomes, I mean

I always have to find a way to cut myself some mental slack
Macgregor

Postby JohnK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks y’all. I guess it just illustrates that even though I no longer put myself in the situations (or surround myself with people who put me in those situations )where that type of conflict can arise, that my reaction in those situations is still less than ideal and I’ve got more work to do than I’d previously thought.
JohnK

Postby lockheed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm

6 months today y'all

laying around listening to Nebraska and drinking coffee. also I turn 31 tomorrow.

life's pretty good right now. just checking in i guess since i don't really talk about it too much elsewhere.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby bongo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:39 pm

i keep having dreams about booze does that ever stop
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:39 pm

ill be a year in march - congrats lockheed
bongo
man in hammock

Postby lockheed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm

bongo wrote:i keep having dreams about booze does that ever stop

yeah i hadn't thought about it, but i guess do too. not really sure what to say about that.

thanks man
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:42 pm

i will say that i now definitively know i have to buy size 32 pants now since i bought two pairs this weekend.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby nonchalant » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 pm

congrats to both of ya

i'll have two years in a coupla weeks

my best friend and I got sober at the same exact time, and I can't express how much easier it is when you have a close sober friend as a confidant and outlet and inspiration. we abused painkillers for years together, and it's a testament to our friendship that while drugs used to be central to our relationship, we've adapted to being sober best buds pretty seamlessly
ImageImageImage
nonchalant

Postby nonchalant » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 pm

lockheed wrote:
bongo wrote:i keep having dreams about booze does that ever stop

yeah i hadn't thought about it, but i guess do too. not really sure what to say about that.

thanks man

I had one out of nowhere a week or so ago

I think they eventually diminish in frequency, but they'll still happen randomly. it's always really jarring to wake up to
ImageImageImage
nonchalant

Postby bongo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

wild i’m a 32 now also

pounding pastries is what i do now instead of fernet :/
bongo
man in hammock

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All