Sobriety

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby antoine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:04 pm

What's making you crack
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby dvr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:54 pm

little lulu wrote:So all but two of my friends are huge drinkers and I'm addicted to bars. How do I start my sobriety if I'm so used to going out to bars and most of my friends drink?

very carefully
dvr

Postby something sensible if » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:56 pm

little lulu i'm very interested in hearing how you handle that
something sensible if

Postby deebster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:00 pm

There are secular aa meetings if that is a hold-up for any of you. Look up your local listings and there might be an offering.
deebster

Postby Cone » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Real Love wrote:I cracked last Sunday and will again tonight but holy moly is not drinking better than drinking

I've started to accept that I'll never truly embrace/be capable of strict sobriety but I've at least become a more self-aware drinker over the past year and good god this is so true.
Cone

Postby something sensible if » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm

reality basically feels like an h.p. lovecraft story in its own right where anybody who endures it could potentially lose their mind
something sensible if

Postby bongo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:10 pm

drinking definitely "takes the edge" off of the human condition - in a very base, dumb, and ultimately terrible way
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:12 pm

last night i watched labor day fireworks and drank some really nice purple yabao tea. undoubtedly the first time ive seen fireworks sober since i was a kid.

not a huge fireworks fan really (kind of have a larry david wrt the ocean reaction with them) but it was a beautiful time to think about how grateful i am to be sober
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby mead » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:21 pm

that was beautiful
mead

Postby antoine » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:23 pm

bingo wrote:drinking definitely "takes the edge" off of the human condition - in a very base, dumb, and ultimately terrible way

Yeah.
antoine

Postby mead » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

i'm kicking off month 10 and i still feel like i'm just getting to know myself

understanding that alcohol was so very high on my list of priorities that i padded pretty much any available free time around my inebriation/hangovers has been a faultless tool for personal development

it occupied so much of my thinking that it was chief in issues to obsess over when making plans for even routine outings with my wife or friends, family - self-strategizing what i felt to be ideal drinking culture quarters was always central to establishing vacation (or otherwise) destinations

so it was an exhaustive, senseless way to live

but today i was off from work and have had a totally sweet morning just hanging out with our pets, cooking cauliflower soup & listening to vince staples

feels good man ;) <3
Last edited by mead on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mead

Postby antoine » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:28 pm

mead wrote:i'm kicking off month 10 and i still feel like i'm just getting to know myself

understanding that alcohol was so very high on my list of priorities that i padded pretty much any available free time around my inebriation/hangovers has been a faultless tool for personal development

it occupied so much of my thinking that it was chief in issues to obsess over when making plans for even routine outings with my wife or friends, family - self-strategizing what i felt to be ideal drinking culture quarters was always central to establishing vacation destinations

so it was an exhaustive, senseless way to live

but today i was off from work and have had a totally sweet morning just hanging out with our pets, cooking cauliflower soup & listening to vince staples

feels good man ;) <3

<3
antoine

Postby bongo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:13 pm

mead - aweosme post that i identify with
bongo
man in hammock

Postby sadville » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:40 pm

worried about my brother. he is doing the get blackout and belligerent drunk thing. my mom had to rescue him from the bar last night so that he didn't get arrested. he's not the type to listen, so i'm not really sure what to do other than CALL AN INTERVENTION which maybe it's the time to do that. jeez.

thinking about just doing the sobriety thing so that i don't fuck up. 2 drinks becomes 5 becomes obliterated, at least that's a tendency in my family. i feel like garbage today, and while a lot of it's down to current life stuff, it's certainly not helping that i'm having to recover from a "fun night."
a dong is
sadville

Postby lockheed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 pm

60 days

September has been pretty fucking weird in terms of real life circumstances, triggers, etc. and I've had a lot of opportunities to drink, but I've turned all of them down, which is a very empowering sort of position to be in psychologically. I don't feel the desire to drink at all besides the taste i guess, which I do think about from time to time. I do feel this kind of selfish pride in being sober every day and I doubt I'd trade the kind of substantiating, ongoing experience of recovery for an alcoholic detour at this point or anytime soon. Bartenders are super cool about it so far and tend to be pretty well-informed and sage-like about the process, either having known and assisted plenty of friends throughout their process or simply having been around alcohol long enough to understand the complexity of the matter on any part of the spectrum. So club soda and lime is like a calling card met with encouragement and genuine understanding, in my experience. Otherwise, severe anxiety, described often in this thread as being a consequence of alcoholism, for the most part doesn't exist for me anymore and I could really care less about most of the things alcoholics tend to associate drinking with, mainly the desire to be liked or having to establish some introductory level of appeal to others. it's not really my problem anymore. I still have plenty of fucking anxiety in its various iterations, but i'm not shaken up about my self in the fundamental way.

I dunno, life is still as troubling as it always was and always will be, but the simplicity and clarity of sobriety as the condition through which you experience it is, so far, very much preferable.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Paul » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:42 pm

that's awesome lockheed. glad to hear people around you are supportive of it as well
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 wrote:Actually, rigatoni is good

This is my Instagram
Paul

Postby lockheed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey thanks pauI. I only have a few actual friends where I live, but they've been very supportive and enjoy having me back instead of some thirsty ghost of myself.

I've been reading Under the Volcano and it does a great job of pinning down this intense feeling of shame and guilt that always accompanies this ecstatic sublimation to alcohol, which is often expressed very well in jason molina's lyrics too, especially the former. With regard to the latter, Lowry and Molina both converge in their own separate ways by conceiving of that sublimation as a kind of hell or a judgement which one has accepted. The internalized shame and guilt one carries around is noticeable to almost everyone and it feels very good not to walk in to a friend's apartment already feeling like you've done something wrong.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Spoons » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Congrats lockheed! That's very motivating.

Can you name some of the Molina songs you were referring to?
Spoons

Postby Paul » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Last edited by Paul on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 wrote:Actually, rigatoni is good

This is my Instagram
Paul

Postby antoine » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:28 pm

lockheed wrote:60 days

September has been pretty fucking weird in terms of real life circumstances, triggers, etc. and I've had a lot of opportunities to drink, but I've turned all of them down, which is a very empowering sort of position to be in psychologically. I don't feel the desire to drink at all besides the taste i guess, which I do think about from time to time. I do feel this kind of selfish pride in being sober every day and I doubt I'd trade the kind of substantiating, ongoing experience of recovery for an alcoholic detour at this point or anytime soon. Bartenders are super cool about it so far and tend to be pretty well-informed and sage-like about the process, either having known and assisted plenty of friends throughout their process or simply having been around alcohol long enough to understand the complexity of the matter on any part of the spectrum. So club soda and lime is like a calling card met with encouragement and genuine understanding, in my experience. Otherwise, severe anxiety, described often in this thread as being a consequence of alcoholism, for the most part doesn't exist for me anymore and I could really care less about most of the things alcoholics tend to associate drinking with, mainly the desire to be liked or having to establish some introductory level of appeal to others. it's not really my problem anymore. I still have plenty of fucking anxiety in its various iterations, but i'm not shaken up about my self in the fundamental way.

I dunno, life is still as troubling as it always was and always will be, but the simplicity and clarity of sobriety as the condition through which you experience it is, so far, very much preferable.

Awesome man. You sound very lucid and clear-headed about it all. Keep writing about it and keep doing what you're doing.
antoine

Postby theta » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:29 pm

today marks the one year anniversary of having 911 called because i passed out in the uber that strangers got me because i was throwing up through a mesh table after last call. haven’t blacked out since! yay me!
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
theta
Noted Futurist and Geo Metro Enthusiast

Postby lockheed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Spoons wrote:Congrats lockheed! That's very motivating.

Can you name some of the Molina songs you were referring to?

man, it's kind of all over his music and imagery.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:02 pm

theta wrote:today marks the one year anniversary of having 911 called because i passed out in the uber that strangers got me because i was throwing up through a mesh table after last call. haven’t blacked out since! yay me!

right on!
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby pablito » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 am

2 years today. i like who i am so, so much more now
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby bongo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:54 am

:D

congrats!!
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Dawn Running Bear » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:41 am

fucking 2.5 years into this and I'm looking at throwing tossing the meetings and losing my mind

i'm such a loser.

I feel like I just can't help myself and it's inevitable. I'm 2 months out an 8 year relationship and really hurting. I know how to make the hurt go away if only for a minute. I really dig this one girl but I think I already put whatever fire there was out by smothering it. I hate my jobs. I hate 12 step programs. My sponsor is an ass. I'm barely eating and sleeping. It's all just music and books right now
Dawn Running Bear

Postby kid8 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 am

You're a vegitarian.
Oh look, an indoor outhouse.
kid8
killer

Postby madness and chaos » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 am

4 months today. glad I made it through. was a little sketch for a portion of the day. always happens on an anniversary too. happy i didn't use. really hoping sleep knocks out the cravings like it usually does.
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby lockheed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 am

Congrats dude
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby The Good Jugdish » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:29 am

lockheed wrote:Hey thanks pauI. I only have a few actual friends where I live, but they've been very supportive and enjoy having me back instead of some thirsty ghost of myself.

I've been reading Under the Volcano and it does a great job of pinning down this intense feeling of shame and guilt that always accompanies this ecstatic sublimation to alcohol, which is often expressed very well in jason molina's lyrics too, especially the former. With regard to the latter, Lowry and Molina both converge in their own separate ways by conceiving of that sublimation as a kind of hell or a judgement which one has accepted. The internalized shame and guilt one carries around is noticeable to almost everyone and it feels very good not to walk in to a friend's apartment already feeling like you've done something wrong.

i still haven't read under the volcano, feels like im waiting for when i need a really good book.

that said, i just finished this really good and engaging book about the relationship between alcohol and writers:

it focuses on fitzgerald, hemingway, berryman, tennessee williams, cheever, and carver, but the author brings her personal experience living around alcoholism into the mix. it's good! i really connected with a lot, especially the descriptions from the writers themselves about 'why' they drink.
Working sucks buy my job's cool
I'm the janitor at the school
The Good Jugdish

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All