Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby antoine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 pm

But I often work around bars and drunk people so its hard not to judge.
antoine

Postby ruiner » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm

went on a five day bender and have spent my whole day off in bed sweating, puking, and feeling horrible

can t do this anymore.

terrified of the withdrawals
FUCK

I LOVE ROCK MUSIC
ruiner

Postby something sensible if » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 am

i feel like when i went sober i lost most of and tested the rest of my friends and family because i was so intensely absorbed and confused and overwhelmed with sobriety and depression/anxiety, and i didn't really know how to exist with it. and i basically still don't know how to talk or explain how i'm feeling, really. i'm sorta just full of rage and also disappointment with myself for being sort of robotic in my interactions with friends.

sometimes i feel like i just don't understand people and it's too hard for me to figure it out. i'm looking forward to getting a job again so i can pay for therapy again and go to physical therapy also and just generally try my best to thrive again.
something sensible if

Postby That Demon Life » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:20 am

I'm 2 days into quitting drinking for the millionth time.

I think the longest I've had is a few months.

Gotta figure out what it is that always brings me back because right now I can't imagine ever wanting a drink again. Not to mention I now have an amazing, successful woman who loves me for some dumb reason and a dog and a future and all that shit.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 am

Also I used to like things but now I only like my dog, tv and fortnite
That Demon Life

Postby largecrow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 am

nothing particularly compelling to contribute but just wanted to note that I read through this thread for like two years before I got a hipinion account and it was a big help in getting sober.
largecrow

Postby bear » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm

six months!
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby nice pass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Nice, how ya' feeling?
You guessed it, Frank Stallone
nice pass
ok

Postby bear » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

pretty great!
bear
good bear

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:26 pm

this thread is always inspiring, and congrats to everyone who's recently been taking the plunge. i'm coming on 15 months without booze.

my next thing needs to be iphone addiction. not checking twitter or email or insta every second i'm not doing anything. might try to get more involved with meditation which i like to think will help that.
the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby bear » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 pm

meditation ime definitely helps w/ that

I waited a long time to develop a regular practice because I thought I had to devote a lot of time to it, but even starting with five minutes in the morning every day has been great! and that's grown over time, esp. on days when I have more time to spare.
bear
good bear

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am

congrats bear
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am

im no longer having drinking dreams (at least havent recently - still have cigarette dreams though)

question: has anyone who is versed in recovery/sobriety literature read the new leslie jamison yet? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959632-the-recovering

im reading it now and i think its quite good for what it is. certainly feels very relevant to me as someone with a background in creative writing and, more to the point, a person who once tacitly subscribed to a john barleycorn 'white logic'/sagelike drunk bullshit

im curious though how this book will sit with the aa community as it posits itself as a different sort of recovery narrative and i imagine may be divisive
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby RIXX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am

that looks great- i'm gonna order it, thanks

i feel like i read a new yorker profile on leslie jamison last year or something and I was really anticipating The Recovering but I totally forgot about it
RIXX

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 am

RIXX wrote:that looks great- i'm gonna order it, thanks

i feel like i read a new yorker profile on leslie jamison last year or something and I was really anticipating The Recovering but I totally forgot about it

epub in the ebook thread fyi
bongo
man in hammock

Postby RIXX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 am

amazing thanks :) downloading now

i think i'll start reading it with my kindle and then order the hardcover if i'm into it
RIXX

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:this thread is always inspiring, and congrats to everyone who's recently been taking the plunge. i'm coming on 15 months without booze.

my next thing needs to be iphone addiction. not checking twitter or email or insta every second i'm not doing anything. might try to get more involved with meditation which i like to think will help that.

my suggestion is to delete insta/twitter from your phone. maybe just for a week and see how it goes.
Jerry Lundegaard

Postby came to wreck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:27 am

or use the phone addiction to your advantage and get addicted to a meditation app. some ppl i know use "insight timer" which has guided meditations and a lot of other features.
came to wreck

Postby bear » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 am

insight timer is pretty sick, i love their bell sounds
bear
good bear

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:47 am

It's been (I think, one symptom of my alcoholism was that days, weeks and even months tend to blur together) a couple of weeks since I had a drink and I'm definitely 100% determined to stick with it this time, especially since I've told all my close friends and relatives and I have their full support, but man, my nerves feel completely shattered and I'm getting insane anxiety that's mostly manifesting itself in the form of constantly worrying about things that are so incredibly illogical I'd be embarrassed to type them out here. Despite this I feel absolutely no temptation to drink or go back to any other substances and I just know that if I can make it to the end of the World Cup then the benefits will be so incredibly clear that I'll be able to stick to it forever. Sorry, I'm rambling. Stay strong everyone!
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby bear » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 am

I will say that the resolution to not drink, ime, is often not enough. it can be very strong in the beginning, but fades in time. behavioral change is required. that could be going to meetings, going to therapy, finding alternative hobbies, practicing meditation, exercising -- or some combination.
bear
good bear

Postby something sensible if » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 pm

when i quit i basically decided do or die under no circumstances ever at all in any universe of situations would i ever drink under any circumstances whatsoever no matter what happens. and like, i feel that pretty much everything in my life changed around me quitting drinking. like it had to be the fuckin bunker in the hurricane.

like its never happened but if someone persistently pressed me to drink i would probably punch them in the face
something sensible if

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm

i am proud to not drink
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

yeah i think it is really helpful to channel that energy into another activity. distract yourself from your non-drinking with something else.

Stick with it Sports Fan, it gets easier as time goes on!
Jerry Lundegaard

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:09 pm

a good thing to keep in mind is that drinking is completely pedestrian and lame and only serves to blunt experience and cheat you out of authentically experiences raw Life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 pm

bear wrote:I will say that the resolution to not drink, ime, is often not enough. it can be very strong in the beginning, but fades in time. behavioral change is required. that could be going to meetings, going to therapy, finding alternative hobbies, practicing meditation, exercising -- or some combination.

This all sounds very sensible. Glad to have a gym membership now and I suppose meetings aren't out of the question. Cheers.
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby j-ol » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:32 pm

bongo wrote:question: has anyone who is versed in recovery/sobriety literature read the new leslie jamison yet? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959632-the-recovering

im reading it now and i think its quite good for what it is. certainly feels very relevant to me as someone with a background in creative writing and, more to the point, a person who once tacitly subscribed to a john barleycorn 'white logic'/sagelike drunk bullshit

im curious though how this book will sit with the aa community as it posits itself as a different sort of recovery narrative and i imagine may be divisive

haven't read it but looks good.

https://www.thefix.com/recovering-inter ... ie-jamison

currently working my way through anne fletcher's inside rehab. would recommend to anyone who's not familiar with the treatment/recovery scene but is planning to enter inpatient or outpatient, knows someone who needs help, or aims to work in these settings someday.
j-ol

Postby milknight » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 pm

i think i need to stop smoking weed now. i dont really feel "sober" anymore even though i think i havent drank in like 4 months now (with the exception of a night on vacation in mexico city, that was mostly fine but also a good reminder why i stopped) and i think its because im constantly stoned again now. im not sure hopw i fell back into this. i guess its not a huge deal but i thinnk im gonna try quitting again after this bags gone. its not hard for me to not drink its hard for me to be sober im realizing.
milknight

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:12 pm

OK SO

I would like to take mushrooms for my 30th birthday in August but I am worried that this will compromise the integrity of my sobriety. Like it would add an asterisk to what will be two years at the end of july. so like I am torn because for one i want to celebrate and i think this might be a fun way, but also i might just be like "gimme a damn cigarette!" and end up hooked on nicotine again. which i dont want. but otoh this might be a fun way to enter my fourth decade.

what do you guys think?
Jerry Lundegaard

Postby Cone » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:33 pm

I think it ultimately comes down to the latter part of risking being triggered into a full-on relapse. As far as the “integrity of sobriety” part, I totally get that and have been thinking on that concept myself.

The other day after 90 consecutive days of sobriety I stupidly convinced myself that it would be okay for me to have a couple drinks and I immediately regretted it. I didn’t do anything dangerous or spiral into a bender or anything but it still sucks to reset my counter at zero. But at the same time I think of it not as starting back at the beginning but instead as me just deviating off my path of sobriety for a moment.

I still have all the knowledge and wisdom I’ve acquired throughout my sobriety so far and even though I had a stupid lapse of judgement, I was at least aware enough to stop myself before I did anything worse.
Cone

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....