Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sonicgabe » Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am

deadwolfbones wrote:Yeah, Sam Bird was looking very Hamiltonesque.

i'll be keeping an eye on him on sunday. i hope he really is that good and not just lucky.

so. i was thinking that the 3 slow teams might not seem as slow at monaco since the rest of the field will be running slower, so maybe all this talk of a disastrous Q1 might be all for not. we'll see. i wouldn't be surprised if a few of them make it into Q2 on more than just luck.
clockout wrote:of montreal is like youre tripping on acid and the record is skipping so you finally find the record player and your uncle is in there masturbating
sonicgabe

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed May 12, 2010 2:05 pm

sonicgabe wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:Yeah, Sam Bird was looking very Hamiltonesque.

i'll be keeping an eye on him on sunday. i hope he really is that good and not just lucky.

Monaco isn't really the best venue to show off one's overtaking abilities, but who knows...
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby sonicgabe » Wed May 12, 2010 3:14 pm

if he really is that good, he'll make it happen or crash out trying!
clockout wrote:of montreal is like youre tripping on acid and the record is skipping so you finally find the record player and your uncle is in there masturbating
sonicgabe

Postby aloha » Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 am

great work by webber
aloha

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 am

Yeah, he was dominating.

Really, really lucky break for Alonso.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 am

The first safety car was a lucky break for Alonso for sure, since it allowed him to put his plan in effect without losing as much ground.

But if the safety car didn't come out in the first two laps, wouldn't it have still made sense for him to pit after the first or second lap, overtake the slow cars at the back as soon as he could and allow pit stops to cycle him up through as many real contenders as time allowed?

Yeah, he would have needed a lap or two to catch back up to the guys in the back, but as long as he did it and passed them (which he did without much trouble/resistance) before the middle field started pitting, the results would likely have been the same.

Unless I'm missing something and/or you're talking about something else.
my so kvlt life
Bud Onkadonk

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon May 17, 2010 11:13 am

Bud Onkadonk wrote:The first safety car was a lucky break for Alonso for sure, since it allowed him to put his plan in effect without losing as much ground.

But if the safety car didn't come out in the first two laps, wouldn't it have still made sense for him to pit after the first or second lap, overtake the slow cars at the back as soon as he could and allow pit stops to cycle him up through as many real contenders as time allowed?

Yeah, he would have needed a lap or two to catch back up to the guys in the back, but as long as he did it and passed them (which he did without much trouble/resistance) before the middle field started pitting, the results would likely have been the same.

Unless I'm missing something and/or you're talking about something else.

Alonso pits from next to last, gets to join up with the rear of the field. Entire field pits. Alonso is close enough to the leaders to end up 6th-8th after they cycle through.

If there's no SC period...

Alonso pits from next to last, ends up 25 seconds back from where he was, in last. Works for 10 laps or so to catch the backmarkers, spends another 10-20 laps getting by the slow six. At this point he's more than a minute behind the leaders. Leaders pit, he ends up 12th-13th or so at best.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Mon May 17, 2010 11:19 am

Makes sense. Thanks.
my so kvlt life
Bud Onkadonk

Postby sonicgabe » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

sorry i'm a few days late...

Alonso's early pit stop was great. i was kind of pissed at him when he was waving his hand at the Virgin he was stuck behind. sure, his car is faster, but it was for position, that's racing. figure out a way around or get stuck behind. just because you're Alonso doesn't mean that everyone has to get out of the way. but if the rules permitted for a spare car, then this wouldn't be an issue...

as for Michael... stupid move, but vague rules. but that's how he rolls.

great job from Webber. a perfect drive.

haven't watched the GP2 race yet. i'll be doing that tonight.
sonicgabe

Postby Lake » Tue May 18, 2010 7:16 pm

GP2 is the best part of any F1 weekend. Monaco is usually the worst for those cars though, but it was still pretty good. Can't wait for Turkey in 2 weeks, always overtaking galore there for the GP2 cars.
he does not believe an adequate safety margin was built into the Alpine Slide
Lake

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue May 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Fuck, sounds like I have to start watching GP2 now, huh?

Not sure I have time for another racing series.

Might have to stop working.
my so kvlt life
Bud Onkadonk

Postby Sad Panda » Tue May 25, 2010 12:59 pm

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 10824.html

They're building a track in Austin, TX specifically to host the USGP from 2012-2021. Odd choice of locale, but given other premier cities' lack of enthusiasm (or general ignorance of the sport) they were only going to succeed in scoring a second-tier site.

I don't mean to sound so harsh on Austin, it really just is a weird choice unless Bernie wants it to fail.
pana wrote:that thing is the phallus i deserve
Sad Panda

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm

They were also talking about using a track in upstate NY.

http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 pm

That is awesome.

A great reason to add a second annual pilgrimage to Austin.
my so kvlt life
Bud Onkadonk

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue May 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Seriously tho this is fuckin cool and within a day's drive. I'm totally there.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby genghis sean » Tue May 25, 2010 3:12 pm

i'm going to the montreal gp with my dad, anybody ever been and know where i should head for a good viewing angle with general admission tickets?
genghis sean

Postby Fullscreen » Tue May 25, 2010 5:21 pm

yeah, don't remind me that my home town isn't hosting the usgp any more :/
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby DestructoBot » Tue May 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Fullscreen wrote:yeah, don't remind me that my home town isn't hosting the usgp any more :/

you know i would have preferred it there too
DestructoBot

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 am

Well, this is interesting...

Former USF1 backer Parris Mullins, along with YouTube dude Chad Hurley, want to reignite the USF1 dream in a more feasible form (i.e., merging their funding with a more established infrastructure), but say it's possible that they could do it by 2011.

Meanwhile, Ferrari have said they'll do whatever they can to see such a thing happen.

At the same time, ART, who are closely linked with Ferrari, and who have an American driver in GP3, are looking to enter the series in 2011.

:idea:
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Lake » Wed May 26, 2010 11:44 am

I think the only way ART were linked with Ferrari was when Todt was still with them, because his son runs ART. Either way, that sounds like it could actually work. Ferrari backing could only help, though I dunno how they're gonna use ART as a partner since they are a French team, unless they'll both be separate teams. 28 car grid would be awesome.
he does not believe an adequate safety margin was built into the Alpine Slide
Lake

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed May 26, 2010 11:52 am

Lake wrote:I think the only way ART were linked with Ferrari was when Todt was still with them, because his son runs ART. Either way, that sounds like it could actually work. Ferrari backing could only help, though I dunno how they're gonna use ART as a partner since they are a French team, unless they'll both be separate teams. 28 car grid would be awesome.

Yeah, I'm just spitballin' here.

That said, Mullins says that he recognizes you cannot run a F1 team from a US base of operations, so his concept for a US-based team is one where the marketing/pr/sponsorship/principals/possibly drivers are American but the shop and crew are likely British or some other flavor of European. ART would be a good match, especially since they're talking about a lack of funding to make the jump. Hell, our flags are even the same colors. :lol:
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby sonicgabe » Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 pm

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 10824.html

AUSTIN 2012!!!!!!

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited... announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.
sonicgabe

Postby Sad Panda » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm

uh...
Sad Panda

Postby Sad Panda » Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Anyway, I really hope they do put a USF1 team together with good backing, and smarten up and base it in England or France. And just for voodoo sake, I hope they drop the USF1 moniker.
Sad Panda

Postby MonkeyTennis » Wed May 26, 2010 7:26 pm

genghis sean wrote:i'm going to the montreal gp with my dad, anybody ever been and know where i should head for a good viewing angle with general admission tickets?

as youre looking at the map, between section 22 and the hospital, right before the straight, is best....you can see some of the hairpin and some of the straight...theres also a bit of shade....GA at the grand prix is rough though and to get a good view youve gotta get there ridiculously early...
MonkeyTennis

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed May 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Motherfuck: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2010-05-26-367165014_x.htm

Promoter Tavo Hellmund wouldn't disclose the Austin-area site nor its price, but he says it's "more than 700 acres." Hellmund also said the Tilke course architecture firm had been hired to design the venue.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Sad Panda » Wed May 26, 2010 11:09 pm

To be honest, Tilke is capable of designing a good track, it's just that the locations for Abu Dhabi, Shanghai, Sepang, etc. were clear-cut and flattened (or flat to begin with) before he got there. Istanbul is an awesome circuit and he used the lay of the land for that, so one can only hope.
Sad Panda

Postby dreamshake » Wed May 26, 2010 11:12 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Motherfuck: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2010-05-26-367165014_x.htm

Promoter Tavo Hellmund wouldn't disclose the Austin-area site nor its price, but he says it's "more than 700 acres." Hellmund also said the Tilke course architecture firm had been hired to design the venue.

words cannot explain how pumped i am for this. f1 in my home town? never would've thought that in a million years.
hologram ride the whip
dreamshake

Postby genghis sean » Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 am

MonkeyTennis wrote:
genghis sean wrote:i'm going to the montreal gp with my dad, anybody ever been and know where i should head for a good viewing angle with general admission tickets?

as youre looking at the map, between section 22 and the hospital, right before the straight, is best....you can see some of the hairpin and some of the straight...theres also a bit of shade....GA at the grand prix is rough though and to get a good view youve gotta get there ridiculously early...

thanks for this although this is shitty news. so are you essentially saying that if we don't show up ridiculously early then we'll be stuck behind 25 rows of people and unable to actually see any of the cars going by and thus will be restricted to basically watching the race on a big screen with "actual f1 racetrack ambiance"?

i'm guessing ridiculously early entails getting there at 2 or 3am and standing/sitting on the ground for a good 12 hours and then standing for the duration of the race.

yeah can't wait
genghis sean

Postby Paul » Thu May 27, 2010 12:30 am

How much did you pay? Hopefully I can make it out there for a race one day.
Paul

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....