Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Viola Swamp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Viola Swamp

Postby Hambelt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Viola Swamp wrote:sweet hambelt let us know the anthology

"The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction"

http://www.lethepressbooks.com/store/p4 ... _2017.html

So, a couple years ago my ex and I co-authored something together that recently got purchased by a small magazine, and long story short, she recently passed away suddenly and I need to submit her author bio tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out the most tactful way to approach it. It's tough because the work's subject matter is closely related to her death, and her writing is important to a lot of people who struggle with similar issues to hers and I know many of her friends and family are going to read this. It a small thing but it feels like a big thing.
Hambelt

Postby Viola Swamp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:12 pm

i'm so sorry to hear. i'm glad people found her work and that it means a lot to them

do you feel obligated by the subject/situation to include the circumstances of her passing? or would a "was"/life dates suffice alongside her publications so that others can find them
Viola Swamp

Postby Hambelt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you.

I've been struggling with how much to include, but I think I've settled on doing something concise that speaks to her personally rather than how she died.
Hambelt

Postby grammatron » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:03 am

I have all the broad strokes of a YA novel in my head, and they've been clanging around and getting refined for like 2 years, and basically every week I'm like, "Ok, it's time to write this thing, stop being a lazy ass," and then the week goes by and I haven't written anything. This is the chronic problem of my life.
grammatron

Postby abs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:08 am

grammatron wrote:I have all the broad strokes of a YA novel in my head, and they've been clanging around and getting refined for like 2 years, and basically every week I'm like, "Ok, it's time to write this thing, stop being a lazy ass," and then the week goes by and I haven't written anything. This is the chronic problem of my life.

I hear this in terms of the YA thing particularly. (other projects not so bad) often am building the narrative at work, walking on campus, etc. just need to sit down and WRITE IT.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Hambelt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:17 am

grammatron wrote:I have all the broad strokes of a YA novel in my head, and they've been clanging around and getting refined for like 2 years, and basically every week I'm like, "Ok, it's time to write this thing, stop being a lazy ass," and then the week goes by and I haven't written anything. This is the chronic problem of my life.

Maybe try committing some of the broad strokes to paper in the form of an outline, writing out note cards, etc. Sitting down and actually writing something can be daunting and hard.
Hambelt

Postby grammatron » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:22 am

Yeah, when the idea first started coming to me, I wrote a rough outline of the basic premise and felt all proud that I'd done something. Never did anything else lol.
grammatron

Postby Hambelt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:10 pm

grammatron wrote:Yeah, when the idea first started coming to me, I wrote a rough outline of the basic premise and felt all proud that I'd done something. Never did anything else lol.

You should be proud! A lot of folks don't even get that far.

What about making mixtapes for the characters? A good strategy might be to do as much prewriting stuff as possible so you can feel good and not actually have to write anything.
Hambelt

Postby dvr » Fri May 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Any thoughts on taking a community college online 'intro to creative writing' course? I have decent writing habits and have a few book ideas I've been picking away at. The course is $700 though, a lot of money. I'm waitlisted for the same course at a university as well.
dvr

Postby Destroid » Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Is there an intermediate option available? Seems a little high if you've already written a fair amount. You'd likely be in a class with people looking for an easy "A" in an elective. There are a few online options that might be more suited to your level.
Destroid

Postby Merciel » Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 pm

What exactly do you hope to get out of taking the class?
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby gargamel » Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 am

dvr wrote:Any thoughts on taking a community college online 'intro to creative writing' course? I have decent writing habits and have a few book ideas I've been picking away at. The course is $700 though, a lot of money. I'm waitlisted for the same course at a university as well.

this is definitely a waste of time. if you have decent writing habits, keep writing.
gargamel

Postby tarantula » Sat May 13, 2017 1:32 am

what makes for good writing habits?
tarantula

Postby gargamel » Sat May 13, 2017 1:38 am

working every day or almost every day, not fucking around on the internet, revising
gargamel

Postby tarantula » Sat May 13, 2017 1:42 am

'd be sincerely interested to know what constitutes a good day for you (like hrs, word count, or whatever)
tarantula

Postby dvr » Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 am

Merciel wrote:What exactly do you hope to get out of taking the class?

General plot arc, grammar, dialogue, character development, building complications and resolve. My write/revise process seems effective, but also like I'm just banging a bunch of words down and rewriting it smoother. I can't outline, I am hoping a class will help my output and make my time spent more efficient (though only experience is what can help here I bet) . I'd like more ideas too.
dvr

Postby tarantula » Sat May 13, 2017 9:09 am

yeah, man...paying money to write supports writers to write stuff no one reads...but go for it, if it's in you
tarantula

Postby Merciel » Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 am

dvr wrote:

General plot arc, grammar, dialogue, character development, building complications and resolve. My write/revise process seems effective, but also like I'm just banging a bunch of words down and rewriting it smoother. I can't outline, I am hoping a class will help my output and make my time spent more efficient (though only experience is what can help here I bet) . I'd like more ideas too.

read a lot
read critically
read some good things and some bad things and pick them both apart
read a lot of genre stuff to nail down formula and see plot mechanics in their barest form
read historical fiction and worldbuild-heavy SF/F to see how setting details are incorporated for theme and atmosphere, and how setting drives plot
read poetry to develop a feel for the rhythms of language and how to evoke strong feeling with few words (you can also read litfic for this, but unless you love literary fiction or want to write that yourself, poetry's more efficient)

write a lot
write critically
submit as often as you can. you'll get rejected. the point is to get used to being rejected.
throw out old pieces (they're always bad, it doesn't matter what you do, beginner stuff is going to be bad; you just can't get to good unless you go through bad first), write new ones
write in different genres just to see if you can do it (and to understand how actually fucking hard it is to write good romance/thrillers/whatever)

buy a couple of decent writing books, read those, keep them on your shelf. you'll come back to them and find new things in them later.

if you really can't do any of that on your own then yeah fine sure take a community college course. but you're not going to be much more able to do them on your own after the course.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby gargamel » Sat May 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Merciel wrote:
dvr wrote:

read a lot
read critically
read some good things and some bad things and pick them both apart
read a lot of genre stuff to nail down formula and see plot mechanics in their barest form

this stuff is really important. read outside what you're interested in.
gargamel

Postby gargamel » Sat May 13, 2017 12:56 pm

for me, a good day of writing is the sense that i advanced what i am working on or solved some problem. word count doesn't matter because the vast majority of it will be changed or deleted. i don't count time anymore and i acknowledge when my attention span is finished for the day.
gargamel

Postby Hambelt » Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

dvr wrote:

I didn't really learn any of that stuff in taking two years of college writing classes, there were some other benefits though like having a space to quickly get a lot of terrible writing out of your system and a place to meet and talk to other people interested in writing.

Do everything Merciel says twice then maybe find some local pro writers groups and ask to sit in on some of their meetings.

If you need a class see if there are any local literary organizations near you that offer classes, there are also a bunch online, these can be cheaper than college classes and much better if you find the right one.
Hambelt

Postby dvr » Mon May 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Really appreciate the posts, thanks.
dvr

Postby ocean pimp » Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Loving the last page. Im beginning my thesis this summer and I know I can do it, gotta get back in the habit of sitting down daily, let's do this y'all
i'm that bitch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmers market after yoga
ocean pimp

Postby Riverchrist » Fri May 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Just received a copy of a mag with a story they accepted over 2 years go. It now appears the work of a madman. Hooray.
Riverchrist

Postby Seamus » Fri May 26, 2017 5:45 pm

does anybody have experience with writing retreats? i'm feeling like getting away to the countryside for a week and just bashing something out. a lot of the retreats i'm looking at online seem fairly structured in terms of interaction with other people at the retreat and set meal times etc and i'm not sure how much interaction i want at this stage. the alternative is to just go to a normal hotel somewhere and do this alone i guess. i'm not sure which fits best.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Seamus » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm

bump, someone tell me whether retreats are worthwhile or not pls
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Casimir » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:18 pm

I've never done a retreat but while in college I took a creative writing class where I had to bring in piece every week, which ultimately led me to better writing practices. So if motivation is an issue this seems like you'd benefit. If that isn't why you're considering going, I'd just go wherever you feel more comfortable writing (and that doesn't offer too much in the way of distraction).
Casimir

Postby Destroid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:38 pm

riverchrist what was the journal? (also two years holy fuck that's a long time)
Destroid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....