Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Viola Swamp » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 pm

retreats seem to be great for productivity, tons of my friends are residency/fellowship/colony rats and they normally accomplish way more in those environments. if you have the freedom to just ditch work/ do a hotel/personal retreat then i encourage you do that so that you don't take a space from someone who wouldn't get that window of time otherwise/doesn't have the means or situation to unplug and produce
Viola Swamp

Postby Viola Swamp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 pm

I just finished my novel
Viola Swamp

Postby Hambelt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Viola Swamp wrote:I just finished my novel

high five
Hambelt

Postby chargie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:37 am

i recently finished writing a short rhymy children's book and i'm now impatiently waiting for the illustrator to do the business
trouble wrote:e equals can't c color
chargie

Postby lawn dart blues1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:41 am

what words did you rhyme
lawn dart blues1

Postby chargie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 am

lawn dart blues wrote:what words did you rhyme

fart, part, cart, heart. i was really on a roll
trouble wrote:e equals can't c color
chargie

Postby grammatron » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Do any of you guys use software other than a regular word processor for longform writing? I need something to help me organize and outline. The whole "flesh it out as you go" style is obviously not working for me. I've done outlines just in Word before, but I'd prefer something that's easier to organize, move around, link back to, etc.
grammatron

Postby Seamus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:47 pm

grammatron wrote:Do any of you guys use software other than a regular word processor for longform writing? I need something to help me organize and outline. The whole "flesh it out as you go" style is obviously not working for me. I've done outlines just in Word before, but I'd prefer something that's easier to organize, move around, link back to, etc.

Scrivener?
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby grammatron » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:02 pm

I'll check it out. Thanks.
grammatron

Postby ocean pimp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 pm

on the flipside i use WriteRoom for freewriting because it has a slick fullscreen mode that's good for concentration (you can change the text color and font)

http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom
i'm that bitch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmers market after yoga
ocean pimp

Postby ocean pimp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Scrivener seems like it could really be useful, but i think it has a learning curve to it which stopped me from using it more
i'm that bitch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmers market after yoga
ocean pimp

Postby gargamel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm

google docs offline mode is my choice, i like using the folder and tab system, plus when i spill a glass of water on my shit i know it's safe in the cloud
gargamel

Postby walt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:50 pm

jeffrey wrote:on the flipside i use WriteRoom for freewriting because it has a slick fullscreen mode that's good for concentration (you can change the text color and font)

http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom

I used this for a bit but my distraction of choice is tinkering with fonts and colors so I just gave up. Really cool look, though.
walt

Postby warmhouse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Scrivener has that fullscreen thing as well.
warmhouse

Postby Big Gay Baby » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:07 am

Anybody doing NaNoWrMo? I'm at 36,751 words. Might actually pull this off.
Big Gay Baby

Postby Seamus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm

anybody wanna read my horror story about all of the alarm clocks in the world gaining sentience?
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Milk » Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 am

I've been writing. I think i started sunday or maybe it was saturday. I haven't done that in like 5 years. I don't know how i feel about it. It just happened. it seems good. I have 25 pages. I've never written anything that fast for sure. It's just coming out. I don't know.

I'm both thrilled and a bit fearful. Fearful probably can't maintain this for long before it all falls apart and i just don't finish it. Again. But yet at the same time i don't really care. I'm putting very little, in fact almost no pressure on myself this time which is good and different. No endless agonizing on structure, style or vocabulary. Maybe in a day, a week or a month ill think it's garbage (of course i will) and what was i even doing. Or just lose interest. If so that's fine. All i know is i haven't felt so calm in a long while and i know this is because i'm creating. I don't know why i always forget the end goal doesn't matter. Just doing it does. I definitely don't feel i've ever written anything that good. And i don't really care if it's just good by my limited standards. I feel like because i stopped caring so much i can finally just write without the bullshit creative anguish. Maybe you have to get to that don't give a shit stage of life to finally write painlessly. Or maybe i'm full of shit. Anyway. I had to say this somewhere. Shrug and all.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 am

Big Gay Baby wrote:Anybody doing NaNoWrMo? I'm at 36,751 words. Might actually pull this off.

when i started writing, like this weekend, i kinda decided to approach it a bit like this. Like don't always go back endlessly, write as if you had to reach a deadline or something. Even if i am not setting any. Just keep it moving. Sure i've went back and touched up things already a fair amount, but by and large i'm just moving forward instead of immediately trying to perfect everything. This is working for me. I also should have tried this approach earlier. I need not to be so afraid when i can't quite find the right way of writing a particular sentence, eventually at some point i'll figure it out. It doesn't have to be now. Leave it ugly and stupid and fix later.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby warmhouse » Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am

tired but strong
warmhouse

Postby chad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm

hi

scary
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby chad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm

i have scrivener and it's honestly been a huge game changer for me. i outlined the whole thing, have notes for every chapter, and have been doing 500 words minimum every day. very good for productivity!!
chad

Postby Autarch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:16 pm

my sister uses one of these and she loves it

Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby chad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 pm

. wrote:would anyone like to read my book about a utopian retirement facility that falls into chaos after an expansion which allows younger residents, leading to an armed, nationalist/ethnic revolt?

I can't believe you're writing about hipinion. Do I get a cameo :mrgreen:
chad

Postby chad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm

*tiny baby voice*

crit group...
chad

Postby Milk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm

I've done 107 pages i found today by transferring my doc file from tablet to word. It's been a month today. I do spend at least 3 hours a day on this or more . Obviously there will need to be endless rewrites but i think if i stick to this rate i can maybe look at October.

I've only once before attempted this kind of thing and while i probably had 400+ pages (i dont remember) and never finished (which seems really stupid once you made it this far but not finishing anything is my specialty) it had taken more than half a year to get there. It's why i need manageable deadlines. I think i'll have down what i want to have by around 300 pages. I don't really know because i only write with very vague outlines (well this time around, the last time was the opposite and i think that killed it...too much shit planned, too much bloat,it wasnt the same type of book at all though)

I can't see myself giving up on this now though. I'm just so worried i'll eventually kinda "lose it" that i just want to plow through it right now at the risk of wearing myself out. it's the only way i'll ever finish anything. It's the most important thing in my life right now.
Milk

Postby compatibility mode » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 am

Writing is cool
compatibility mode

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 am

milk i look forward to reading your book
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby chad » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:04 pm

halfway done w first draft lol god
chad

Postby Milk » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Same. well...assuming it'll be 300 pages. Im thinking a bit more now realistically (that or i edit a bunch later) but i am cautious because i don't want this shit to needlessly bloat (i know, hard to believe i of all people could bloat) and i thought 300 should do it. I hit 150 this morning anyway. 152 now. Creating is great when you don't have a job or responsibilities (well it's not entirely true i do shit online 4 hours a day for minimal money but at least i can fit it where i want).
Milk

Postby chad » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:44 pm

It makes me feel bad and good
chad

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....