Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm

1 step at a time and I can always edit and revise and it will get better just have to keep going I believe in myself!
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby chad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:58 pm

i can and will finish. when i do it will be the best thing i've ever done lol

can't even bring myself 2 be self deprecating bc i'm fucking jazzed
chad

Postby southpaw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Go milk!
southpaw

Postby big zorb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Good job, y'all! I published something for the first time in a while this week and it was tight.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby mascotte » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Just discovered this thread. I've been writing a novel, it's an ambitious task. I've got about 90-100 pages so far and looks like this is gonna be at least 800 pages work. The sheer size of it scares me and I know that I procrastinate too much but there were so many things happening in my life, as some of you may know, that I try to relax and take it easy: i may finish it or not, there's no deadline, I am doing it for myself. So sometimes the regime I impose over myself works, but lately it does not, I've been watching stupid TV shows or listening to the music all day. And I've fot perfect conditions: a quiet house in a forest, not much friends around, and a patient partner...

At least I have the complete story and all the characters in mind and I think about it all the time.
mascotte

Postby chad » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 pm

has anyone submitted to pitch wars? name really turned me off bc my brain was like SHARK TANK EW DISGUSTING but then I actually googled it and it seems very, very good

anyway i think i'm gonna submit here next year bc i won't make the august deadline but i'm just noting as a heads up!! maybe this will be useful for ppl

i did not see this mentioned in the thread but search function is very bad so maybe it did get mentioned
chad

Postby warmhouse » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:59 pm

warmhouse wrote:Image

tired but strong

doin my best
warmhouse

Postby gargamel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm

gargamel wrote:what's the best way to get an agent? send them your manuscript? i've been working on a novel for like 2 years that i am nearly ready to try and get represented. i've had some stuff published in places but it isn't going to grab anyone's attention. the novel is 'literary fiction' and i am grinding my teeth as i write that. i would be really pleased to get it on like dalkey/graywolf/coffee house press or whatever, it's kind of complicated but hopefully not obnoxious.

also, what sort of response times did you get from your agents when you queried them? like, did you get a surprise e-mail six months later, or are people pretty good about saying, 'no, i'm not interested' in a timely fashion. thanks hipinion authors

my book came out the other day

just keep wading through the shit everyone until you get to the far side of the river
gargamel

Postby alaska » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm

That's rad
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby chad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Congrats dang
chad

Postby chad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Haha wow my emotions are all over the place itt
chad

Postby Viola Swamp » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:07 pm

congrats garg i heard about your book and thought it sounded very hipinion
Viola Swamp

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Well this is it then. First draft I mean. 118 080 words. Feels very anticlimactic somehow. Might feel less so when i finish rewrites in like 3 or 4 months. Hopefully what i'll be doing is not polishing a turd. I think it doesn't help that i feel i just rushed through the last 10-15 pages like i didn't give a shit (it might ALSO feel like i rushed through the book but it was on purpose because it wasn't gonna get done otherwise and i mean it might be 98 days but i'm still looking at probably 400 hours total which then doesn't make it seem so rushed and then when you'll add the rewriting time...). .Also because i know there's a lot of fixing things and having things make more sense left to do is maybe why this doesn't even feel like i'm done with a first draft. But yay me i guess.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:55 pm

As an aside, feels depressing to think i spent up to like 1000 hours in some games. i could have written so many books without video games. yes this is totally how it works. Any time i wouldn't have put into video games WOULD have been put towards something creative. (well to be fair in my case, it's kinda likely though)
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby office plant » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 am

im going to finish it before my birthday in November :?
office plant

Postby office plant » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 am

sorry i always feel like this thread titoe is addressing me directly
office plant

Postby kid_chameleon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 am

I appreciate that this thread exists, because it causes me to feel guilty. I'm gonna write tomorrow! Congrats gargamel!
kid_chameleon

Postby kid_chameleon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 am

*double
Last edited by kid_chameleon on Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kid_chameleon

Postby warmhouse » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:18 am

warmhouse wrote:
warmhouse wrote:Image

tired but strong

doin my best

sensin' the finish
warmhouse

Postby endless dave » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am

I think I used this thread before to blow on steam on behalf of my girlfriend, who is on her second manuscript (the first had an agent but never got picked up). she got a new agent after her first had a mental breakdown and the firm dropped all her clients, so she spent like a year looking for a new one (luckily at least with a full realized and finished manuscript), actually got scouted by an interesting firm who read her short story on Amazon and loved it so much they offered her a deal out of pocket (which we didn't know actually still happened), and she's been shopping the manuscript since. she got some rejections so far that were frustrating and sort of reinforced a bunch of annoying and tone deaf criticisms she got with querying, but after going to a writing retreat, she figured a better way to fix some other issues, and did a close read and re-edit again and it sounds like some of the passes actually are going to re-read it along with the next round of publishers the agent had lined up, so we're hoping for some good news before the end of the year
endless dave

Postby alaska » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:12 pm

22k words . going to finish a draft before year's out

that sucks endless dave but i'm glad she's sticking with it. I got a rejection for a poem the other day (from the baffler) but it felt good to send something out (i think that was my first submission ever??) and the editor guy said "there was a lot to admire in it" which may just be a stock line but it made me feel good that someone definitely read it
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby Destroid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 pm

congrats, gargamel! the book description sounds excellent. will be picking up.
Destroid

Postby chad » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:09 pm

chad wrote:i can and will finish. when i do it will be the best thing i've ever done lol

can't even bring myself 2 be self deprecating bc i'm fucking jazzed

lmao
chad

Postby chad » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:16 pm

i feel dead
chad

Postby ratbags » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:17 pm

chad wrote:i feel dead

session to session
ratbags

Postby chad » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 pm

I feel a little better tbh ty
chad

Postby ratbags » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:36 pm

np
session to session
ratbags

Postby alaska » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:36 pm

i'm trying to remember which author said something like "how you feel about what youre working on at a given time probably isn't the truth" but i can't remember but also, how you feel about what youre working on at a given time probably isnt the truth
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby laserblast » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:06 pm

one day i will write a(ny)thing. much love 2 the dreamers of hpn
laserblast

Postby Milk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

alaska wrote:i'm trying to remember which author said something like "how you feel about what youre working on at a given time probably isn't the truth" but i can't remember but also, how you feel about what youre working on at a given time probably isnt the truth

i find in everything creative it (the truth) lies in between the "this is absolute garbage" self-defeating lows and the "this is the best thing ever" euphoric highs.

Both lows and highs are useful though. The lows to get you to try harder, the highs to motivate you to keep going. If you're getting neither you should probably worry.

It's also worth remembering that just because you're most likely not a creative genius doesn't mean that what you do then must be worthless.

And depending on the day your opinion may vary wildly. I have moments where i think for a few weeks this part is pretty good. then one day i read it again and i feel like the veil is off and finally i see it for the garbage it is. But then i remember what's more likely, that you were right for weeks about it or for a day?

The thing of course is with anything creative too at some point you have to get a distance from it because you can't see it for what it is anymore.

Lastly, being highly critical of your creation IS what's gonna make you good. I don't think there's any great artist that was ever "yep, it's genius, all i do" I think most probably agonized endlessly over whatever they were doing. Maybe not the absolute geniuses but then that's why they are who they are.
Milk

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....