What's your vinyl setup like?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby gambra » Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 am

The sleeve from Bags Unlimited is probably the standard basic ones you can get. Its the same with every audio thing though, the "best" are probably some super thick UV resistant sleeve for $5 each. Bags Unlimited are like $20 for 100. I will only buy the same sleeves each time to keep consistency.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

virtuous wrote:lol imagine if your dad ran hpn

gambra

Postby jewels » Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 am

i throw away all the plastic bags, can't stand them
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Mesh » Sun May 27, 2018 8:28 pm

jewels wrote:i throw away all the plastic bags, can't stand them

Fine for high 2-figure or 3-figure+ LPs, kind of yuck beyond that. I'm cutting back all the time.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby neuartillery » Sun May 27, 2018 8:38 pm

gambra wrote:The sleeve from Bags Unlimited is probably the standard basic ones you can get. Its the same with every audio thing though, the "best" are probably some super thick UV resistant sleeve for $5 each. Bags Unlimited are like $20 for 100. I will only buy the same sleeves each time to keep consistency.

Yeah I do Bags Unlimited 3 mil poly 12 3/4 x 12 3/4 sleeves.

neuartillery

Postby Eugenics » Sun May 27, 2018 11:48 pm

yeah, i get those for all my records as well as the mofi master inner sleeves. I can understand not wanting the extra cost/hassle/look of the plastic outer sleeve, but i keep my cubes (which are solid backed + segemented so each cube is supported w/ two slots for organization sake), i keep them nice and compact just enough so that the records are all upright but not stressing on each other, and are also easy to take out and put back -aided by the outer sleeve. I don't really think i've ever seen anyone i know do that, they always have their expedit/kallax/equivalent maybe half-filled with the records tilted on eachother at 45degree angles, which definitely makes it easy to flip through em, but i just couldn't handle that sort of disorder in my life. I definitely do not understand the people that slit the shrinkwrap and leave it on there, ending up with bent corners in time....

at any rate, i just got done moving all my stuff into my new house, so i'm looking forward to starting fresh and buying new 'turntable setup' furniture and accessories.
One thing i've never done that I want to do is get a proper isolation mat or whatever my options are, to put under my decks. anyone got and pro tips or leads on a good product or even raw material to get, to best dampen shocks'n'vibration while possibly enhancing the low end? also, what is the preferred surface type for the main stage? granite? thick wood? tempered glass? steel?
my current/previous setup was situated on a legit desk with a heavy steel frame and thick tempered glass top, and while my decks and mixer fit PERFECTLY on it end to end, im not convinced it's the best, or even a good surface for my setup.
Eugenics

Postby Clive » Mon May 28, 2018 12:03 am

Eugenics wrote: I definitely do not understand the people that slit the shrinkwrap and leave it on there, ending up with bent corners in time.....

wasn't aware this was a thing. I'm gonna have to get rid of all the shrink-wrap now. Maybe having to buy these bags in lots of 100 isn't so much of a deal.

Clive

Postby jewels » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 am

jewels wrote:
fakename wrote:Spraying a bunch of contact cleaner on various points of old receivers has worked wonders for me.

that sounds like a good thing to try.

I wonder if that would help with my mixer and wah pedal

initially i thought this made my speaker even worse, but after a week or so to dry now my speakers are working perfectly!

and it fixed my crossfader!

and i trouble shot why my second turntable wasn't working!

I HAVE A FULLY FUNCTIONING 2 TURNTABLE SET UP FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS

(and spent $7 to have it fixed)

everything is coming up jewels.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Poptone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 am

Eugenics wrote:One thing i've never done that I want to do is get a proper isolation mat or whatever my options are, to put under my decks. anyone got and pro tips or leads on a good product or even raw material to get, to best dampen shocks'n'vibration while possibly enhancing the low end? also, what is the preferred surface type for the main stage? granite? thick wood? tempered glass? steel?
my current/previous setup was situated on a legit desk with a heavy steel frame and thick tempered glass top, and while my decks and mixer fit PERFECTLY on it end to end, im not convinced it's the best, or even a good surface for my setup.

i did a dj set-up in my house for a party i threw and had to set the tables on concrete patio slabs - a bit of digging online resulted in many djs who worked in really crappy and shaky conditions vouching for those and they did work for me. but they're obviously not the most pleasant-looking addition so thankfully i only need them when i expect (many) people to be dancing in my living room

Poptone
cat fan

Postby all day breakfast » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:36 pm

i used some kind of squashy mat for standing on in kitchens that i could cut down to size, with a stone slab on top

all day breakfast

Postby Eugenics » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:24 pm

I ended up buying a new pair of Auralex Iso-Pads for $100, for the meantime.... They do exactly what I needed, and fit my current desk perfectly with an 11" mixer and the turntables (unfortunately) in battle style. I just moved in, so this is in no way permanent :)

Eugenics

Postby Eugenics » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 pm

..and i still have to figure out what I want to do with these..
Eugenics

Postby fury » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:06 pm

I’ve noticed my records are sounding a little thin lately. Is it time to change my cartridge or does it need to be cleaned?

fury
ok

Postby Eugenics » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:26 pm

could be many things. from a dirty or worn stylus, to the actual headshell and/or its connections (if applicable, possibly one or more of the four wires will shake loose. i even know people that use those doofy ortofon carts on their 1200's and sometimes have to lick it and re-stick it? weird that works, right? idano i hate those things.) you could be tracking way too light (recalibrate your counterweight & anti-skate) it could be bad rca cables. if you have an external phono pre-amp, check that out. if it's integrated, perhaps it could be going bad or you accidentally didn't plug into phono on your receiver. if your turntable has a built in switchable line/phono, make sure that's correct and corrosponds with the input. check your eq settings on the receiver. If you are using some kinda A/V Multimedia thing, there are tons of wrong buttons you can hit that will put it into like PLX MOVIE or GAME or some other weird sound presetting zapping the shit out of your tone. Also, with the same kind of receiver, if it's a 7.1 or 5.1 and you have 2 speakers set up, make sure it's detecting that and not in full surround mode or otherwise. check your speaker wires, etc etc.. they could be out of phase or frayed a bit or not getting the full contact...basically anything along the way can be the problem. but yeah, start at the source (properly clean your records and use the right stuff/brush on your stylus) then work your way in!
Eugenics

Postby super gas » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Eugenics wrote:i keep them nice and compact just enough so that the records are all upright but not stressing on each other, and are also easy to take out and put back -aided by the outer sleeve. I don't really think i've ever seen anyone i know do that, they always have their expedit/kallax/equivalent maybe half-filled with the records tilted on eachother at 45degree angles, which definitely makes it easy to flip through em, but i just couldn't handle that sort of disorder in my life.

this. don't understand people who keep them at an angle. this is my shelf, i am pretty tight about it but easy to take out the records,

i have a kallax i recently cut up some wood to use as blockers in the back to prevent them from sliding. super helpful, looks like this:

i cut it up more since i took this pic to avoid it being so close to the edge.

i only buy old lps and i put every record i buy in new inner and outer sleeves from sleeve city.

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-5-0-record-sleeve-p/9380.htm
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Diskeeper-2-0-Antistatic-Record-Sleeves-p/9235.htm

their outer sleeve is super nice, stiff af and doesn't cloud up. most outer sleeves that come with used records are nasty and most sold online are terrible quality so understand why people don't tend to like using them. it's not cheap i suppose but i spend a lot of time (and money) finding my records so why not.

i put the sleeve in and then if single cover record in new inner behind it and if it's gatefold in the middle to avoid ring wear. if you've ever been to japan this is basically how nice record stores in japan keep them though they use resealable sleeves and i can't be bothered with that.

super gas

Postby Eugenics » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:43 pm

nice, those inners appear to be of the same material/purpose as the Mo-Fi's, which i get - 50 for $20. That's a good deal on those, I might have to check those out, because I go through a 50 pack pretty fucking quick these days. Damn, those 5mm outer I might have to get for those few special package 3LPs or heavy weight 2lp tip-on gatefold's or just like, for grouping a few 'matching' white labels in a single outer, but damn, 5mm is a bit too thick for every record, i think. Especially since I have and get so many records that are just standard weight, in the thin mo-fi sleeve, and usually some flimsy barely-cardboard disco jacket. the Vinyl Styl 3mm are what I usually go with, because i can get those readily at a few places locally for like 15 dollars or so. I dont THINK they are made containing any chemical (such as PVC) that will over time and definitely with slightly elevated temperatures, start to off-gas some record-ruining funk, The one's you linked are definitely kosher tho, and actually one of my locals has those in 2mm that they'll sometimes roll up in 10-15's and sell for about 5 bucks if you ask them for some. Also, Ii'm starting to wonder if just putting the record in the thin anti-static rice paper type inners will be enough actual protection for the record's grooves, if simply inserted into a regular jacket, then outer plastic sleeve. If the original record came with a special printed inner, i'll always back up my replacement inner with it, and sometimes I wonder if instead of just accumulating these piles of thousands of paper sleeves, if i should put them back in there for added support, but then again, i don't file mine SUPER tight, and I guess I don't see how the generic paper sleeve would necessarily help it, since it would just be something closer pushing direct pressure on the entire surface area of the record, and plus, those fucking dumb paper things add up to space pretty quick if you double them up, and im also getting sick of buying my cubby cubes so often, in addition to the 50 packs of both sleeves! :P n Also: I haven't checked in awhile, but I wish they made those inner's for 7-inchers. It kills me squeezing an expensive/rare 45 into a cardboard sleeve and especially the dinked paper ones that muck up the surfaces pretty easily. Man, my ex girlfriend had so many old records that had tiiiny paper flakes embedded into the grooves, most of which would not dislodge with the usual technique without it being too risky of just digging a rut in there. so sad..
Eugenics

Postby super gas » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 pm

a lot to unpack there.

most of my records are from the 70s and thus usually slim af, no issue with them. i have a few triple lps, with thick cardstock sleeves and i have no problem with them either, those 5.0 sleeves work for everything i have tried except box sets and i only have a couple of those.

if the original comes with a classic 70s label promo inner i just trash that. if it comes with a printed sleeve i leave it outside with the record.

ImageImageImage

opening to inner sleeve is facing against the spin so dust is ever getting there.

i would not keep them super tight, just tight enough that they are not leaning and pressing.

they make inner and outer sleeves for 7 inches too. i do there same there. here my levels of anal gets a bit out of hand. a lot of my singles are from japan and they were issued with just a thin piece of paper. so keep it from creasing i have piece of thin generic white cardstock between the record and the paper.

crazy, i know but some of my records are really rare/expensive and i have no problem spending another fifty cent or a dollar to keep them safe. here is where i different from a lot of my friends who just my buy thrift store records for a buck and see no point in all of this.

super gas

Postby bobble » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 pm

super gas thanks for showing your work, im considering doing something like that. allthough very few of my records are very valuable i listen to them constantly and would rather keep them in nice shape as long as pisst!

bobble

Postby super gas » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:45 pm

yeah it's not even necessarily a value thing for me. some of my favorite records i paid next to nothing for but they are all in the ex/m range and i want to keep them that way. i get silly about condition of sleeve and stuff and i can spend years looking for an original u.s. press of a record that i love not because of price but because how hard it is to find a mint copy (without cuts and things). got 10 or so i am still hunting a replacement copy for.

super gas

Postby Eugenics » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:46 pm

aw yeah! i do that too, except i don;'t have THAT many needing them, so all those 7" mailer-stiffner squares i get, i keep, then put that cardboard in the 7" Vinyl Styl outer bag, then slide the record either between the paper cover fold, or just a generic paper insert in front of the cardboard stiffner. And yeah, my record-owning friends either have massive shit-tier junkyeard kallax fillers for the most part, or they have all their old shit from the 80's and 90's on, so they generally are very lax about their collections and storage, which bugs me, and i know my excessive obsessive sleeving/storing/cleaning bothers them, but they aint mad when i lay a ton of basically new paper sleeves on em for all their shit just shoved into a jacket or even (SHIT!) naked records just stacked up and bookeneded or piled up.
Eugenics

Postby powderfinger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am

Any of you guys with older gear have Cerwin Vega speakers? I'm looking around at what I can get for a couple hundred bucks on Craigslist and they seem like a decent option. Boxy 3-ways with huge woofers that are still short enough that they could sit on my TV stand would be kinda ideal for my living room setup at the moment. Basically want a set of speakers that will play loud and thump.

powderfinger

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:34 am

I just moved and the spot that physically makes the most sense for my set-up now is up against a south-facing window. Is sitting in the sun all day going to fuck up my direct-drive turntable (technics sl-1300)? Everything else is pretty sheltered in my cabinet, except for the tt which sits on top.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby resum » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:33 am

powderfinger wrote:Any of you guys with older gear have Cerwin Vega speakers? I'm looking around at what I can get for a couple hundred bucks on Craigslist and they seem like a decent option. Boxy 3-ways with huge woofers that are still short enough that they could sit on my TV stand would be kinda ideal for my living room setup at the moment. Basically want a set of speakers that will play loud and thump.

They'll fit the bill. I don't think they're the most balanced speaker, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for anyway.
resum

Postby south pacific » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 am

I recently got a large pair of Cerwin Vega speakers for one of my set ups. They’re big, boxy and have real wood trim from the mid 70’s.

I forget the model number but I’m pretty happy with the sound. I think they are a well regarded speaker manufacturer.
driving around late at night, listening to depeche mode

south pacific

Postby Mesh » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am

Got a nice Pioneer sub at an estate sale. I'm 5.1 for the first time in my life and it's wow.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby powderfinger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 am

So, inspired by looking at Cerwin Vega speakers, I ended up being even more ridiculous and getting what seem to be their spiritual successors: BIC America RTR-EV15s.

$400 delivered for a pair of 3-ways with 15 inch woofers. They play down to 24Hz and are effortlessly driven by a home theater receiver. They sound shockingly good right out of the box. Surprisngly refined at low volume and thunderous when cranked. These things are like a cheat code for awesome sound. You'd need to spend $400 alone on a subwoofer, probably two, (and agonize over correctly integrating it) to get sound like this with bookshelf speakers or inexpensive towers with smaller drivers.

They will also be quite the conversation piece too...

(the TV stand is a DIY job that I originally designed for bookshelves - will modify it so the speakers actually sit on the floor)

powderfinger

Postby tricksforchips » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:46 am

Hey watch out there's a transformer in your house.

tricksforchips

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:00 am

looks like you've got your priorities right
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby powderfinger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 am

I used a measuring tape to demonstrate to my wife how big they were going to be, at least four times, and she just kind of nodded along not paying attention. Joke's on her.

powderfinger

Postby powderfinger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:08 am

The best part of all of this, though, is that my Seas Idunn speakers are now set up as nearfield monitors at my computer. They are absurdly good speakers, but they just didn't quite fill up the living room like I wanted. But for computer speakers, wow. Gonna pair them with a DIY sealed 12" subwoofer and have music bliss everywhere.

powderfinger

Postby all day breakfast » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:21 am

lol i would really struggle to focus on watching the screen with those

fair play though

all day breakfast

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley