What's your vinyl setup like?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Klint » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:35 pm

EDIT

I'm probably just going to go with the Denon or the carbon with a Q Up.
Last edited by Klint on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mites wrote:going back to ruining my life with drugs and drink and listening to public image ltd

Klint

Postby seank37 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:57 pm

There are no medium->high dollar turntables that I know of that are automatic. Even the U-Turn is manual, even though it can be had for $179. The thinking I think is that your automatic turntable people don't want to fiddle with things, i.e. less options like weights and whatnot.

seank37

Postby Lowercase Tea » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Klint wrote:I've been going back through this thread because it's slow at the office today. I've got the cheap AT automatic turntable, but I was researching my options for upgrading. I was trying to stick with automatic and I was looking at the Denon DP-300F, but it doesn't look like you can change the weight of the tone arm. Is that going to be the case for all automatic turntables? Rather than spending $300.00 on the Denon I'm thinking I should just get the Pro-Ject Carbon for an extra $100.00. I'm not wild about having a manual table, but If I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars, I want to make sure that I get something that sounds better.

I adore my Debut Carbon and you can install a q-up so at least it won't wear the record if you forget. I would warn you though the felt slipmat made a lot of static for me so I'd consider slapping on a different one.
Lowercase Tea

Postby Klint » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:05 pm

I've got a cork mat on my AT lp60 right now, which is probably worthless on such a low end turntable. Being able to walk away from the turntable and not worry about the side ending is really my concern so the Q Up fixes that.
mites wrote:going back to ruining my life with drugs and drink and listening to public image ltd

Klint

Postby Klint » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Poptone wrote:
transitive wrote:
Poptone wrote:purchased some kallax shelves from ikea cos I was running out of room.

was annoyed to find they're so deep, but i went to the hardware store, bought long strips of self-stick foam insulation and fixed them to the bottom back of each shelf so the records will stop at the shelf lip. pretty proud of myself on that one, actually.

This is a game changer.

yeah, works like a charm and they're nice and soft so it won't ding up sleeves

$6, a 17-foot strip is more than enough.

This is so fucking great. I'm doing this with my shelves today.

Klint

Postby Fullscreen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:40 pm

I want a proper turntable but I also worry that I've gradually fucked up all my records over the years on a shitty turntable with an unweighted tone arm
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby neuartillery » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 am

Anyone have a VPI cleaning machine?

neuartillery

Postby Clive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:25 pm

TTL Is having a sale on Denon turntables.

I should still have a $100 credit floating around with them, so would $99 out of pocket be a good deal for a new DP-300F?

Was gonna get a Pro-ject at some indeterminate point in the future, but figure I should probably just pull the trigger on this one now. Thoughts?

Édit: nm, out of stock. There is the same thing still in stock but with an "Ortofon 2M Upgrade" for $70 more. Would that be worth it?

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/d ... ed-upgrade

Clive

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:34 pm

neuartillery wrote:Anyone have a VPI cleaning machine?

I got one of these after years of using a manual spin Nitty Gritty cleaner and it was totally worth it. the built in vacuum works like a dream.

emotional fascism

Postby Clive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Bump for next page

Clive wrote:TTL Is having a sale on Denon turntables.

I should still have a $100 credit floating around with them, so would $99 out of pocket be a good deal for a new DP-300F?

Was gonna get a Pro-ject at some indeterminate point in the future, but figure I should probably just pull the trigger on this one now. Thoughts?

Édit: nm, out of stock. There is the same thing still in stock but with an "Ortofon 2M Upgrade" for $70 more. Would that be worth it?

Clive

Postby Lowercase Tea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Clive wrote:Bump for next page

I have a Pro-Ject with the 2M Red and it's pretty great. I can't speak for the Denon but I think the 2M should be pretty solid on it.
Lowercase Tea

Postby fakename » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 pm

I have that denon table and am very happy with it.
I doubt I'll ever upgrade cause I could never give up automatic return.

fakename

Postby neuartillery » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

I have the Ortofon 2M Blue and it is excellent. The 2M Red is usually $100, I'm not sure what it's upgrading over for $70 but I have to imagine there's a good jump in quality.

neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

emotional fascism wrote:
neuartillery wrote:Anyone have a VPI cleaning machine?

I got one of these after years of using a manual spin Nitty Gritty cleaner and it was totally worth it. the built in vacuum works like a dream.

I'm trying to sell enough records on Discogs to pay for it, but I'm only up to $250 now and I don't have any more Rocket from the Crypt tour singles to sell for $65.

neuartillery

Postby endless dave » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:47 pm

I had my parents old receiver that has been finicky but I got a wild hair tonight and figured out the problem, so I refigured my setup. The speakers (an old set I picked up from transitive when he moved) are off to the side, as a part of the tv console set, which is pointed more towards the couch and rest of the room and apartment. I just started a new job at a label who runs their entire catalog through a B2C shopfront which means the have an entire stockroom of their LPs for the taking, so I have probably 40 LPs waiting in the wings

endless dave

Postby hi-res » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Lowercase Tea wrote:
Clive wrote:Bump for next page

I have a Pro-Ject with the 2M Red and it's pretty great. I can't speak for the Denon but I think the 2M should be pretty solid on it.

Agreed, the 2M Red is a worthy upgrade for $70. Just a really great performer for the money.

hi-res

Postby hi-res » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:05 pm

neuartillery wrote:I'm trying to sell enough records on Discogs to pay for it, but I'm only up to $250 now and I don't have any more Rocket from the Crypt tour singles to sell for $65.

I got one of these https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii and it works really well if you're on a budget. You just need a wet/dry vac to hook it up to (I got that at Home Depot for $10). PM if you have any questions, I've got a good recipe for record cleaning solution too.

hi-res

Postby Lowercase Tea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18 pm

fakename wrote:I have that denon table and am very happy with it.
I doubt I'll ever upgrade cause I could never give up automatic return.

good choice. In some cursory research, if you ever upgrade the cartridge it looks like people do like it with the 2M blue
Lowercase Tea

Postby Clive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks for the input everybody, I pulled the trigger on it! P. excited about it now. I'll be back w a report after I've had some time w it.

Clive

Postby positive shit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 am

positive shit

Postby Brain Stew » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:44 pm

I drunkly went on discogs earlier this week and bought Rickie Lee Jones and Jackson Browne's self-titled debuts and the Jackson Browne ended up costing almost $20
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby gambra » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:40 pm

positive shit wrote:Image

The Palace slipmats are dope.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

virtuous wrote:lol imagine if your dad ran hpn

gambra

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 pm

No sexy pics to post but a question I have not been able to find an answer to:

Drop the needle on a record, sounds fine for a few seconds. Then the volume drops dramatically, and cranking the receiver volume to compensate makes it sound unlistenably shitty.

This has now happened to two of my friends' setups. I feel like a dork not being able to figure out what's wrong.
Having not swapped amps/turntables, I still don't even know whether the problem is with the turntable or receiver.

I know it's gotta be so obvious, but I cannot possibly solve this mystery.

Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Brain Stew wrote:I drunkly went on discogs earlier this week and bought Rickie Lee Jones and Jackson Browne's self-titled debuts and the Jackson Browne ended up costing almost $20

That must be a pretty clean-ass copy of the Jackson Browne, I usually see it pretty beat up for cheap.

Love this section of its wikipedia page:

The album is often mistakenly called Saturate Before Using, because the words appear on the album cover, which was designed to look like a water bag that would require saturation in order to cool its contents by evaporation. For this very reason, Asylum Records executives suggested to no avail that the words be removed from the album cover and nearly rejected the cover art outright. However, the initial pressings not only included the text, but the cover carried a burlap-like feel to further the water bag theme.

The confusion over the title returned when the album was converted to CD format, when the words appeared on the spine of the jewel case as the album title.[5]
Browne told the story of the cover's creation and spoke of the title's confusion in an interview with the album designer Gary Burden for his 2002 DVD Under The Covers: "I remember being on the phone with Gary... talking about what the album cover should be, and I happened to be in a room that had a water bag on the wall. It was just one of the things that I collected driving around on trips and stuff. And I was looking at this bag as he was saying 'what do you think it ought to be?' I was thinking, 'well, it could be a water bag.' ... it said 'saturate before using' on the front ... 'You know, Gary, on mine, it says this on the back.' And you said, well, so?' And 'if you put it on the front, people are going to think that's the title.' And you said, 'don't be ridiculous. Who would think that was the title?' I said, 'Yeah, you're right.' So, not only does everyone think that's the title of that album, but my record company thinks that's the title of the album." [6]
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby seank37 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 pm

In these cases, I would think it usually points to the pre-amp/amp. Does your pre-amp have balance controls? Does it moving it quickly to one side or the the other cause the sound to come back? Could be the pots themselves are dirty. Is the turntable properly grounded? This could also be a problem.

seank37

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:01 pm

In both cases my friends are like, huh guess the thing is fucked and assumed they needed a new tt if not both.
I'm gonna say a different amp/reciever should be tested before they toss anything. I wondered if grounding was not a problem!

Thank you seank
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby Brain Stew » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:49 pm

mariavesperi wrote:
Brain Stew wrote:I drunkly went on discogs earlier this week and bought Rickie Lee Jones and Jackson Browne's self-titled debuts and the Jackson Browne ended up costing almost $20

That must be a pretty clean-ass copy of the Jackson Browne, I usually see it pretty beat up for cheap.

It is near mint. I also got it from Montreal, which added to shipping.
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby chinese smoke » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 am

chinese smoke

Postby branzino » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

endless dave wrote:Image

As a southern Californian, this pic makes me incredibly nervous.

branzino

Postby neta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:28 pm

mariavesperi wrote:No sexy pics to post but a question I have not been able to find an answer to:

Drop the needle on a record, sounds fine for a few seconds. Then the volume drops dramatically, and cranking the receiver volume to compensate makes it sound unlistenably shitty.

This has now happened to two of my friends' setups. I feel like a dork not being able to figure out what's wrong.
Having not swapped amps/turntables, I still don't even know whether the problem is with the turntable or receiver.

I know it's gotta be so obvious, but I cannot possibly solve this mystery.

did you look at the cantilever as it is playing? anything happen between the time it plays fine then drops out? also, is this on all records?

maybe the cartridge suspension is bottoming out

grounding would have nothing to do with it. doubt it is a preamp problem since if it was intermittent it would be constantly intermittent and not consistently playing ok in the beginning of the record. maybe there is some weird protection circuit problem but not likely. do you have a friend with a working turntable you could insert your preamp into to rule it out?
ImageImageImageImageImage
neta

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley