Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby aububs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:32 pm

yeah those mondo/death waltz things are so expensive. i have a few of them and if money was no object would get more, but i do think they release a lot of filler

the saxon gregory stuff was very affordable when it was released, and where it's available, it still is. it's also different to most horror movie records in that it's recordings of the actual movies, with the dialogue and atmospheric foley work and stuff, as opposed to just the music (tho that's featured too). not horror but the seagal/van damme record is all trailers, one side for seagal, one for van damme. it's so damn funny. phil blankenship (and possibly sam mckinlay?) is behind the label, he's a total horror movie maniac
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby fresh salad » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:22 pm

This came up on a local station and I couldn't look away for a while

Alice Cooper plays a rockstar named Vince(!) who goes back to his home town to shoot a music video.
His father was killed by an angry mob who suspected him of being a werewolf?
All kinds of crazy in this one, and it was filmed in Italy so all voices are dubbed (even though everyone speaks English).
Yowza!
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby dan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Oct. 18 - Image YOKAI MONSTERS:ONE HUNDRED MONSTERS (1968)

The local yôkai (Japanese spirits) interfere to avenge a murder and thwart the plans of corrupt officials.

The mad monsters of olde Japan stepping in when some no good crooks try to demolish the local r̶e̶c̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ shrine. It's actually much less silly than than the synopsis and screencaps would imply but still generally quite fun if you enjoy chilling in the Edo era. The director did a bunch of Zatoichi movies (and the wonderful Daimajin) so it kind of feels like one of those with rubber spirits coming in to spice things up. Human characters are pretty lacking and it's pretty lite on monsters up until the end, but overall it's got great atmosphere and doesn't overstay it's welcome so I'll be happy to check out the two sequels. B
dan

Postby Percy Dovetonsils » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Poptone wrote:
aububs wrote:
lots of stuff i still haven't seen too.

yeah i checked on letterboxd the percentage of his films i've watched and it's only 10% or something crazy small like that.

guess i'm finally watching Spasmo tonight! (if i can find a copy - if anyone can DB it, much appreciated)

I can do Spasmo, Eyeball, and Nightmares Beach and City!
Percy Dovetonsils

Postby futurist » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 am

fresh salad wrote:This came up on a local station and I couldn't look away for a while

Alice Cooper plays a rockstar named Vince(!) who goes back to his home town to shoot a music video.
His father was killed by an angry mob who suspected him of being a werewolf?
All kinds of crazy in this one, and it was filmed in Italy so all voices are dubbed (even though everyone speaks English).
Yowza!

the original cooper songs for this are ok-ish and the movie is even worse but that hasn't stopped me from seeing it three times for some reason
futurist

Postby all of the world » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 am

Psycho Ranger (2010)
shot entirely in derbyshire! a park ranger's mom dies and he loses it and kidnaps a poacher and a couple of hikers. not really much going on here. better than anything in the movie is amazon's description, which claims this is "set in 2005"

Let Me In (2017)
i don't know how old James Trimboli is but he looks about 16 and he writes, directs and stars in this tale of a couple of women trying to kill him and his mom to get their house (is this how it works in australia?) everything in this movie is amateurish and awful. that leads to some minor amusement but it really is just some kid making a movie.

The Diabolical (2014)
the fourth film by Ryan Callaway i've seen and this is good for the same reason the others are: Callaway gets very good performances from young people which is highly unusual in low budget filmmaking. this is the tale of a girl whose sister died and now the girl is haunted and/or possessed while a killer is on the loose. again i wouldn't recommend this to people unless you're up for lots of drama but he manages some realistic horror here.

Guru, the Mad Monk (1970)
my taste in Andy Milligan runs toward the Monstrosity/Weirdo/Surgikill end but i did enjoy this one (a lot more than Legacy of Blood, which I watched not too long ago). took me a little bit to get into the world and rhythm but i thought this was decent

Cold Light of Day (1989)
wasn't familiar with serial killer/necrophiliac Dennis Nilsen but looking at the wikipedia entry shows this drama is fairly close to the basic facts. this is a bit like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if Henry was pathetic instead of menacing (that's not a knock on the actor). also grimy and gritty like Driller Killer. but i like both of those films more than this.
all of the world

Postby shacky » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am

15. the entity (1982)
i forgot already who directed this but nobody could accuse dude of not trying. no shit i'd say maybe 20% of the shots are dutch angles. the camera is almost upside down sometimes. he's also real into those frankenheimer foregrounded "big head" deep focus shots. dude was definitely aspiring to make a post-exorcist Serious Adult Drama Horror Film. but the other movie it's also clearly inspired by is poltergeist and once the ~kooky paranormal investigators~ show up it gets a bit familiar and wacky, the tone becomes muddled because it seems unsure if it wants to be new hollywood or just hollywood. barbara hershey is solid though, it's definitely worthwhile. it starts p strong and there's some genuinely upsetting stuff there. the real life case it's based on is p nuts too.

16. the fly ii (1989)
we had to stop watching this because the dog scene was too much for my gf. she tried just closing her eyes but the sound design alone was still making her sick. so that's something. i finished it later by myself and reckon it sorta gets a bad rap. it's not, like, good or anything. it moves real slow and offers nothing new or clever -- it's totally unecessary. but it's directed by dude who did the fx for the first one so check it out for more of that sweet, sweet, gooey 80s body-horror gore.

17. my bloody valentine (1981)
my bloody valentine made me pretty consistently bored!!!!

18. arachnophobia (1990)
very much a spielbergian family-horror. a few images really made my skin crawl -- i think it benefits from just using mostly real, regular-sized spiders rather than the clearly fake gigantic puppet/cg monsters you often see. and obviously ymmv based on where you fall on the spectrum of, yknow, arachnophobia but this is still v tame overall, which is okay because it's also v cosy, colourful and charming. john goodman is best dude.
shacky

Postby futurist » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I loved the Entity watching a few years back. Might research. Good thing I packed so much in during Sept because I've been too busy this month to sit down w anything
futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

I reached 100 movies since August a few days ago and my movie watching has come to an abrupt halt. I've completely burned myself out ten days too early.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby futurist » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:04 am

listening to the gerald's game audiobook right now. so far gerald is much creepier and the sense of time is much more warped and panic-inducing. excited to see where the book takes us.
futurist

Postby futurist » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:15 am

haven't seen this but wow this score is beautiful. anybody have the film to upload?

Code: Select all
https://mega.nz/#!sHRRWKTS!AgC3pMHCaYCUDoaMAHVK3psd8A1dlLaGpR9mK7KVEGg

link from opium hum
futurist

Postby dan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Oct. 19 - THE KILLING KIND (1973)

A young man returns home after two years in prison for a rape he was forced to commit. Now his mind is on the verge of snapping, and his troubled relationship with his mother may take him over the edge.

This somehow manages to balance out truly horrifying sexual violence and goofball cartoonish characterizations. It's a deeply unpleasant watch at (many) times, and the main character is one of the all-time cinematic creeps, but it's also surprisingly fun when it's not being skin crawling. B+

Oct. 20 - GARGOYLE GIRLS (1998)

A struggling magician accidentally unleashes two gargoyle women from the 12th century into his modern day life in the New York suburbs.

pros:
- hilarious Decker level CGI effects
- amusing attempts to pad the runtime to 84 minutes (there's a flashback 10 minutes in)
- main character kind of looks like Brendan Fraiser

cons:
-everything else
D-
dan

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am

I'm so far behind on watching/logging this past week or so.

Last night I threw on Poughkeepsie Tapes, which I swore I'd seen before but did not remember a single second. Was OK.

And A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, which I'd had in my mind as even better than the first, but that's clearly not true (it has been at least 15 years since I've watched 3). It's definitely the best of the rest though.
emotional fascism

Postby fresh salad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Halloween 4 is boooring.
fresh salad

Postby fresh salad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 pm

But The a Loved Ones was not!
fresh salad

Postby all of the world » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 am

Play Hooky (2012)/Catatonia (2014)
the first movie is "teens" skip school and after exhausting all other possibilities end up at a supposedly haunted asylum where a security guard who looks like chris farley could be their last hope...OR A KILLER. far from the worst but not worth watching. the sequel takes a very different approach and is mildly more interesting and deals with the survivors, one of whom is catatonic. you wouldn't have to watch Play Hooky to see Catatonia. in fact i think Catatonia would play better as a standalone. but still not worth it.

Charly, Días de Sangre (1990)
argentina sov definitely worth a look. the dad in this movie is an absolute nut and fun to watch. the basic plot is kids in a cabin get killed but it's enjoyable. "So much evil, Inspector!" "I love evil..." "Huh?" "I hate evildoers!"

Wolves at the Door (2016)
so people think this is disrespectful of sharon tate and friends since it's an inaccurate take on the night they were killed. i kept forgetting it was even supposed to be about manson until the obligatory final news clips of the real thing at the end. the entire movie has the feel of the opening sequence in fincher's Zodiac. i swear it had to be intentional. anyway, it's nothing special but it's slick and i personally found it entertaining although it started to grate on me toward the end.

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
this is the third time i've watched this movie and i still end up feeling the same way: i like it and appreciate Zohra Lampert's performance but i don't love the movie. it seems like a movie i should love. but i don't.

House on the Edge of the Park (1980)
another movie i've seen a few times but this one it seems like i should hate since i generally don't get into movies with a sadistic streak. but David Hess is just great in this and even better is the bloodied face of Christian Borromeo. Radice is also good. something about the people and their faces make this movie work for me more than i feel it should.

The Black Crystal (1991)
what if Jim Rockford was 18 years old in the 90s and ran afoul of cult members dressed like blue collar workers? good sov stupidity.

Odd Noggins (2000)
aliens are taking over women and making them gruesomely kill their lovers. most of this movie is the women getting home from work, taking baths and chatting. they all work as clowns or things like that and they're all very plus sized which is not common. some of the gore is lots of hilarious fun but that's mostly toward the end

Creeptales (1989)
this was in the db so i gave it a shot. anthologies are so hit and miss but for me this one was fairly consistently enjoyable. thanks!

A White Dress for Marialé (1972)
gorgeous giallo with an insane sequence in the basement that seems like they wandered onto the set of Fulci's The Beyond and a terrific costume party. really liked this a whole lot. see it if you haven't.

Raw (2016)
everyone's seen this by now. i liked it.

Cult of Chucky (2017)
enjoyed this and really liked Fiona Dourif. probably like it more than all the other sequels. this isn't a franchise i love but i also don't dislike any of the entries.

Home Sweet Home (1981)
last time i watched this i didn't think much of it. not sure if i was in the wrong mood or what. this time it cracked me up quite a bit. the killer is like Lou Ferrigno and he overacts like he's auditioning for Ricky's role in Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2.

A Night to Dismember (1983)
still fucking awesome. i also think this might work just as well if you only listened to the audio, which is insane.

Child Eater (2016)
another one i tried out because it was in the db. enjoyed it.

Anima Persa (1977)
this isn't really a giallo even though i've seen it described as such. it has some elements of that but it's more of a mystery. and it's fantastic. loved it.

The Shivers (1998)
todd sheets sov about a house where lots of people are gruesomely killed. if you're squeamish, don't worry, it's so poorly lighted you can't tell what's going on about a third of the time. not good.

House by the Lake (2017)
this has baltar from nuBSG as a dad of an autistic child. along with his wife they head to his parents' HOUSE BY THE LAKE for some peace and quiet. this is pretty mediocre, with the child seeming to be in contact with something in the lake but the parents blow it off (and all the drawings). there is one truly good thing here and that is the very end. i'm going to write what happens on the off chance anyone wants it spoiled but it is the end so here come the spoiler tags:

while baltar and his wife scream at each other, a giant fishman comes and takes the little girl into the lake. cut to: baltar and his wife looking real bummed driving home. ha haToggle Spoiler
all of the world

Postby dan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Oct. 23 - Image(1972)

A young Seminole Indian returning from Vietnam finds his only comfort in caring for snakes, but his disgust at the outside world begins to push him over the edge.

It's like Billy Jack but with snakes in place of guns. It's utterly ridiculous and every time it touches on actual serious issues and emotions it only gets sillier (he has a strained relationship with his burlesque dancing mother...and it boils over when she bites the head off a snake in her act). Alex Rocco plays a lecherous snakeskin magnate with a goon named Crail. And then there's an unhinged coke snorting hippy hitman named "Psycho" who is now one of my favorite characters ever. There's all sorts of other zanyness but still the film is mostly sedate and brooding, fairly long, and not very focused. It started to lose me after it killed some snakes (and a frog) for real :evil: , but I still do have to say I enjoyed it. B
Last edited by dan on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 pm

i'm at 93 on the month... should make my batshit 100 goal. Watching Der Samurai right now.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 pm

i'm never doing this shit again :)
hiddenicon

Postby mancubz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 pm

i'm watching 'the midnight meat train' featuring bradley cooper and oh my god this is pure garbage
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Poptone » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 pm

mancubz wrote:i'm watching 'the midnight meat train' featuring bradley cooper and oh my god this is pure garbage

i have an inexplicable soft spot for this particular garbage heap
Poptone
cat fan

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:35 pm

mancubz wrote:i'm watching 'the midnight meat train' featuring bradley cooper and oh my god this is pure garbage

the original story is such a great opening for books of blood tho. really unfortunate.
futurist

Postby mancubz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 pm

oh wait nvm there's some real sensual ass-eating in this
elaine wrote:sharp knives sharp knives, cut the onion, cut the bell pepper, cut the steak, cut your wrists, cut your genitals, cut your brain out
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am

Oct. 24 - THE IMP (1981)

A security guard with a pregnant wife becomes the target of a malicious imp who seeks to be reborn into this world as his child.

First 2/3rds are mostly just casual hanging out in an 80's Chinese mall, restaurant, park etc. occasionally punctuated by a crazy curse death. All this I liked. The the last 1/3rd things get dark (literally) and its pretty standard trudging through poorly lit zombie halls (with one really neat looking sequence shown in the screencaps). This I did not like. A mixed bag with some really enjoyable sequences but a lot of tedium toward the end. C+
dan

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Jean Rollin is my vibe
emotional fascism

Postby Poptone » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:12 pm

emotional fascism wrote:Image

Jean Rollin is my vibe

is that still from Iron Rose?

soooooo good
Poptone
cat fan

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm

yeah... watched it again last night for the first time in a few years.

got Fascination and The Nude Vampire on the docket for tonight.
emotional fascism

Postby shacky » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:32 am

i dunno how you guys do it, i think after 23 i might be all spooked out

19. the crazies (2010)
just a straight-up solid zombie flick that brings nothing new to the table which is a little underwhelming for something made in 2010 but it's a fast-paced and witty enough diversion.

20. return of the living dead part ii (1988)
hey it's bobby from twin peaks!!

21. dead and buried (1981)
it was okay!!

22. land of the dead (2005)
gross nu-metal aesthetic, embarassing sub-ballard social satire, wasted dennis hopper, shitty boring zombies, bla bla im sure it's all been said before. the most interesting thing for me though was that i can't think of any other single movie with more unintentionally detestable characters and uncharismatic performances from all the leads...but with actual "name" actors in the roles. look at those dumb fucking heads. seriously spent the first 30 minutes thinking "leguizamo and baker are gonna be eaten any second now right? and then the real protagonists will be introduced right?? right???" then asia argento showed up and my brain just seinfeld.giffed outta there.

23. housebound (2014)
slept on this. new zealand indie horror-comedy that manages to be unusually successful in both respects, like, i enjoyed it way more than anything peter jackson's done. it was also surprisingly plotty but in a fun, knowing way. im so used to modern horrors, comedies and horror-comedies just treating plot as an afterthought, a loose, generic framework to hang jokes and/or scares on so it was really refreshing the way this bothered to create a mystery and let it continually grow and unfold and grow again, taking increasingly absurd and subversive and gruesome twists and turns.
shacky

Postby shacky » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 am

should i go to this this weekend even though i might have to go alone/my brain might melt?

Astor Theatre '24 Hour Spooktacular' wrote:Ok Creepers, here is the run order for the day!

2pm THE MONSTER SQUAD – 30th Anniversary
3.45pm THE GATE
5.15pm THE HILLS HAVE EYES - Rare 35mm Print! – 40th Anniversary!

7.00pm DINNER BREAK

7.45pm THE BEYOND – 35mm Print Imported from the USA!
9.30pm HALLOWEEN 2
11pm BLOOD DINER

AFTER 12.30am it's a mystery which film will run next - also expect another super secret SURPRISE film mixed in! Embrace the unexpected!
EFFECTS - 4K AGFA restoration!
A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN
HALLOWEEN 3
WAXWORK

Breakfast Break on morning of 29th with two final films to follow.
THE WRAITH
LEPRECHAUN
shacky

Postby shacky » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 am

i probly should go huh
shacky

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All