Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Ampersand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 pm

hiddenicon wrote:dont screw up and get the early 80's The Children that troma later released on dvd... on the other hand, do. its indisputably awful but entertainingly so... could just be childhood nostalgia though. been a few years since i watched it.

Nope, you're right on. The Children is great, and I'd go so far to say it's even competently made. Yeah, Who Can Kill a Child? does so much more (and so much more sleaze-ily) with the same basic premise (killer kiddies and the retaliation from adults), but it never makes it look quite as lighthearted as it is here-- the children kill with radioactive hugs, my gosh.
Ampersand

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 pm

hiddenicon wrote:yeah, the '08 The Children is pretty solid. dont screw up and get the early 80's The Children that troma later released on dvd... on the other hand, do. its indisputably awful but entertainingly so... could just be childhood nostalgia though. been a few years since i watched it.

and as parapet said, Pontypool kicks ass but its best 100% blind.

I'll third on Pontypool. Stephen MacHattie is so ace in that. Spoiler alert, I guess, but after watching that, I really feel I have no need to read 'The Flame Alphabet'.

That's probably a terribly ignorant opinion, but I don't care.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby The Munificent Motherwell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

parapet wrote:Hotel was great, yeah. Been wanting to watch that again.
2008's The Children was good as well, I think it was also in the "Best Horror of the last decade" thread that I can't find. I wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't heard about it here because I never actually want to go through the Ghost House Underground stuff or 8 Films to die for, though I bet some are worthwhile.
Pontypool is a recent favorite I keep showing to friends, but it really is best if you go into it totally blind.

The Children is excellent; one of my favorites of the aughts. The only other two I've seen from Ghost House are The Thaw (which was essentially a boring, poorly written version of the X-Files episode "Ice") and Room 205, which was terrible.
do you know what is darkness?

VHGisdead wrote:i hate to experience things as hilarious and amazing
The Munificent Motherwell

Location: the stoner version of écrits (BRB—out fartlekin' to sloth & dormant & janeret)

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Ampersand wrote:Attack the Block is a whole lot of fun, but its social "message" is a little too pat for me.

This is unfortunately true, and I cringe at the "sending them to kill little black boys" and Pest's "your boyfriend sucks for volunteering elsewhere". It nails everything else it aims for, though. Carpenter-like limited & claustrophobic locals, wicked humor that curdles to nightmarish on the turn of a dime, fantastically imaginative creature design, that Basement Jaxx score...bliss.

Plus, major bonus points for being a relatively high-profile film that puts kids in jeopardy and follows through. I applaud Trick 'r Treat for much the same (among much else).
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Motherwell wrote:The Thaw (which was essentially a boring, poorly written version of the X-Files episode "Ice")

Which, in turn, is essentially a serviceable redux of The Thing.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Warrenandstimpy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 pm

My favorite Amicus film:
Warrenandstimpy

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 pm

I love it when the film stops to let the audience guess who the wolf is.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby The Munificent Motherwell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Poptone wrote:
Motherwell wrote:The Thaw (which was essentially a boring, poorly written version of the X-Files episode "Ice")

Which, in turn, is essentially a serviceable redux of The Thing.

Ha, exactly. I was actually gonna compare it to that first.
Last edited by The Munificent Motherwell on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Location: the stoner version of écrits (BRB—out fartlekin' to sloth & dormant & janeret)

Postby Bob511 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Motherwell wrote:The only other two I've seen from Ghost House are The Thaw (which was essentially a boring, poorly written version of the X-Files episode "Ice") and Room 205, which was terrible.

Surprisingly, The Rise of Reeker and Seventh Moon are also terrible.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart
Bob511

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:02 am

Bob511 wrote:
Motherwell wrote:The only other two I've seen from Ghost House are The Thaw (which was essentially a boring, poorly written version of the X-Files episode "Ice") and Room 205, which was terrible.

Surprisingly, The Rise of Reeker and Seventh Moon are also terrible.

Dance of the Dead wasnt worthless. bit of a sucker for that brand of horror comedy though... really curious about Detention, but i have muted hopes.
hiddenicon

Postby Kuboaa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:16 pm

I was inspired by the list in the first post and watched Pulse today on netflix, loved it, quite methodical in a good way
I can only imagine how much the remake butchers the source material
Kuboaa

Postby pickles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:24 pm

It's already been said, but House of the Devil is tons of fun. Nostalgia included.

My recs:

Roger Corman. High level of ridiculousness. Sea Creatures raping people back there.

One of my favorite modern horror films that doesn't get enough credit is The Descent. Cool creature designs, great atmosphere. The sequel is bloodier, but doesn't get the story/atmosphere quite right:

Cool modern French horror film:
Last edited by pickles on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke wrote:tell me more about the pay on tugboats.
pickles

Postby pickles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:28 pm

I'll have to re-watch Attack the Block. I watched it recently, but only remember snippets of it. I think I was working while I was watching it and not really paying attention.
pickles

Postby parapet » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 pm

whoa poptone thanks for the (spoilery?) book mention. I read Hellmouths of Bewdley which is part one in a "thematic trilogy" where Pontypool Changes Everything is the second, but I haven't found a copy of that yet, and I'm hoping it's an improvement. Hellmouths was basically a short story comp that mentioned a few of the characters in the movie but only a couple of the stories were any good.
Last edited by parapet on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parapet

Postby pickles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 pm

What do you guys who have seen Vampyr think of it? I've been wanting to watch it.
pickles

Postby Legion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Proustitute wrote:Body horror is the best. Currently downloading The Dentist.

Have you seen Marina de Van's In My Skin (Dans Ma Peau)? One of my faves.

Saw Hotel recently based on recommendations from the board and oh man. So, so good.

High Tension is pretty bad/obvious, sorry just had to get that off my chest. But the worst horror movie I've seen based on a board recc is The Abandoned.

I really wanted to like Triangle, mostly for aesthetic reasons, but it was also a little too obvious and lacking in any other saving graces.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby loaf angel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 pm

i always mention (Safe)

but Safe deals with dread in a way I've never seen in any other horror film
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby Ampersand » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:03 pm

pickles wrote:What do you guys who have seen Vampyr think of it? I've been wanting to watch it.

It's really good. Unique, strange, and enigmatic. The very sparse sound elements give it more-than-usually unsettling atmosphere. Also has the flat-out creepiest sequence I've ever seen captured on film up until the 60s, probably (you'll know it when you see it).
Ampersand

Postby Legion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Warrenandstimpy wrote:Favorite sub-genre: Rural British Occult
WICKER MAN
BLOOD ON SATANS CLAW
WITCHFINDER GENERAL
MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH

I'd recommend Children of the Stones if you need more of this sort of fix. It was an (ostensibly!) children's show but of the twisted kind they used to show to kids back in the day. The music is pretty nice.

There's a torrent of the whole show on Karagarga. And you can watch episodes on Youtube. The intro terrified and fascinated me when I was 10:

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm so glad I didn't grow up during the whole Third Eye programming block.
Would probably be boarding from a hospital.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby baleen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Baby Museum wrote:i always mention (Safe)

but Safe deals with dread in a way I've never seen in any other horror film

this is a good angle, actually. I remember vaguely discussing this as a horror/body horror/modern gothic thing waaaaay back in "the day." wondering if I can sit through it again.

I think a page or two back there was a mention of Prince Of Darkness which should be an all time must see classic.

saw Attack The Block a few weeks ago and I liked it, it was definitely a lot of fun, low budget and creative monster movie.
The answer is simple: artisanship.
baleen

Postby The Munificent Motherwell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Vinyan is another one of my favorites of the last decade. Talk about intoxicating atmosphere.

Anyone have suggestions for more stuff like Hotel, or what I would (facilely) categorize "minimalist horror"?

Postby loaf angel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 am

is there anything good coming up to look out for?

haven't really heard much in the way of horror for '12
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby Legion » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 am

Motherwell wrote:Vinyan is another one of my favorites of the last decade. Talk about intoxicating atmosphere.

Anyone have suggestions for more stuff like Hotel, or what I would (facilely) categorize "minimalist horror"?

It's more severely minimal in terms of set and budget, but Travis Betz's Lo is kinda unique -- feels more like a play than a film feature.

Don't read anything about it, just check it out. Last time I checked it was available on Netflix instant play.

Legion

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Horror movies I watched for the first time this week:

- From Beyond (it must suck to have to wear a bald wig)
- Pet Semetary (aside from the scenes with dead-Gabe and getting irrationally angry at the funeral scene, pretty decent)
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kuboaa » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:35 pm

another new for me movie off the original list..
The Others, even though I guessed the ending (from a mix of what I had heard and from the actual movie) I like it and thought the reveal was still pretty effective
Kuboaa

Postby manvstrees » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:42 pm

i gotta get that miskatonic university tshirt he has in from beyond
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby Poptone » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:- Pet Semetary (aside from the scenes with dead-Gabe and getting irrationally angry at the funeral scene, pretty decent)

Man, I love the dead Gage scenes. "I played with mooomeeee. Now I want to play with yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu."

Of course, the zelda scenes are the stuff of searing nightmares.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm

manvstrees wrote:i gotta get that miskatonic university tshirt he has in from beyond

Lots of stuff here.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso

I always mean to order this one, and never do:

Poptone
cat fan

Postby manvstrees » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 pm

seriously it needs to be the exact one from the film though, which i'm not sure if i could find, the last time i looked for it

edit: i could go for one of those esoteric order of dagon hoodies i guess
Last edited by manvstrees on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All