Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Threads sounds intriguing, will check it out.

Can't believe I forgot about May! Definitely one of the best horror flicks of the 00s. I wish McKee's other stuff was better. From Beyond is real solid, that extra footage they inserted a few years back is ace. Haven't seen Blood Diner or Parents, but I remember seeing em on VHS. I liked Motel Hell.

Other solid 80s horror (some of which really aren't good enough to make this list but all are pretty good):

And even though it sucks, Lustig's Maniac is worth a look for Savini's totally unhinged FX.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby a is jump » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:02 pm

http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/

Figured I'd put this in here. This is a new record label whose site just went live a little over an hour ago. The subscription seems to not save you any money, so I just ordered the Zombi 2 and Escape From New York records individually.
a is jump

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Good lookin.
landspeedrecord

Postby Sharmoota » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I can't recommend Parents high enough. It's great.

I've always considered Eating Raoul to be more of a black comedy than horror but then I do have a dark sense of humour.

Oh and Altered States is awesome.
Last edited by Sharmoota on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HELP ME
Sharmoota

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm rewatching Ti West's fantastic The Innkeepers at the moment btw and I have an itching to rewatch Livide right after.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby ifear » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 pm

manvstrees wrote:if it's haneke it has to be funny games, and that's the worst haneke

i haven't seen enough haneke to comment on that, but funny games is one of the few perfect horror films, to my mind on the basis that i wouldn't have done anything different in the victims' situation, so there isn't the characters' unbelievable stupidity as a roadblock to fear
hi there how are you i will be your hexahedron for today
ifear

Postby Ampersand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:32 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:Image

Related: Maniac Cop 2 is one of the best/wildest action movies of the late 80s, early 90s but pretty much not a horror movie. Slightly more horror elements than Cobra. Maniac Cop 3, on the other hand, is dog shit.

My favorite UK TV horrors are The Woman in Black (1989):

and The Stone Tape:

Both by Nigel Kneale and both incredible. The former is just about the most frightening, while the latter is the neatest.
Ampersand

Postby ifear » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Ampersand wrote:The Stone Tape:

Both by Nigel Kneale and both incredible. The former is just about the most frightening, while the latter is the neatest.

fucking yes. the stone tape is just so fuckign eerie from start to finish.

probably my all-time favourite horror, scare-wise is quatermass and the pit, based on another kneale tv series. utterly unsettling.
hi there how are you i will be your hexahedron for today
ifear

Postby parapet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 pm

62 on that list
always happy when Let's Scare Jessica to Death gets attention
Kevmac watch deep red
parapet

Postby parapet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm

not to be found on top whatever lists but i genuinely love Demons and Demons 2
pm me if you need a cinemageddon invite
parapet

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 pm

The score for Deep Red blows my mind every time I watch it. Although I prefer Suspiria as far as scores for Argento films is concerned. Has anyone here seen Four Flies on Grey Velvet? It's been sitting in my HD for months but I havent had the urge to watch it
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby parapet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm

still haven't seen it or cat o nine tails but bird with the crystal plumage is great
parapet

Postby Mesh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:12 pm

honkduh wrote:
Kevin McCallister wrote:Here's a list of the ones I haven't seen (which means I've actually seen 68 and I can't count!) The majority of them are either black and white horror, Mario Bava, or both. Where should I begin?

Freaks (1932)
Dead of Night (1945)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Hour of the Wolf (1967)
Deep Red (1975)
The Devils (1971)
Les Diaboliques (1955)
Kwaidan (1964)
Vampyr (1932)
Night of the Demon (1957)
Kill, Baby… Kill! (aka Operazione Paura, Curse of the Dead) (1966)
The Old Dark House (1932)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
The Vanishing (1988)
Angel Heart (1987)
Wolf Creek (2005)
Pulse (Kairo) (2001)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Saló (1975)
The Abominable Dr Phibes (1971)
Black Sunday (aka The Mask of Satan, Revenge of the Vampire) (1960)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
Martin (1976)
The Black Cat (1934)
Daughters of Darkness (1970)
The Fog (1979)
Threads (1984)
God Told Me To (1976)
Cronos (1993)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Flesh for Frankenstein (1973)
Come and See (1985)

Henry!

Correct.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby nautical hyperblast » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm

if you haven't seen it, house of the devil was really a fucking fun one.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Kuboaa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:17 pm

seen exactly 50 of these
my black and white horror is lacking
a few good ones missing (Inside, Prince of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead, Scream)
maybe Dead Alive, Trick r' Treat, People Under the Stairs, Fright Night, Sleepaway Camp
also as for newer stuff if The Mist makes it then Drag Me To Hell should as well
Kuboaa

Postby Kuboaa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:21 pm

aww shit Exorcist 3 should have definitely made it as well
Kuboaa

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:if you haven't seen it, house of the devil was really a fucking fun one.

Yes. 100% with you on this one.

Parapet, Cat O Nine Tails is fun Argento, wouldn't say it's near the top of this pile, but it's really fun.
R C

Postby baleen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I got 71 from that list. thought it was funny that the img for Evil Dead is from Evil Dead 2 eh.

and you know it's a British list when Don't Look Now is inexplicably high.
The answer is simple: artisanship.
baleen

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Kuboaa wrote:a few good ones missing (Inside, Prince of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead, Scream)... Dead Alive

It's #99 bruh.
landspeedrecord

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Proustitute wrote:I can't recommend Parents high enough. It's great.

Haven't seen Parents in years but it's definitely one of my favourite VHS finds.

Thanks for all the recommendations from the list of recommendations. I watched Daughters of Darkness last night, was pretty blown away by how beautifully photographed it was. There's one particular long shot of the countess on the hill, jacket spread like a cartoon vampire, made me want to cry.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Oh, is Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (the remake or the original) worth the rental?
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kuboaa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:13 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:
Kuboaa wrote:a few good ones missing (Inside, Prince of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead, Scream)... Dead Alive

It's #99 bruh.

whoops my bad, almost missed Haute Tension being listed as Switchblade Romance as well
Kuboaa

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:Oh, is Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (the remake or the original) worth the rental?

Absolutely not.
R C

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Kuboaa wrote:
landspeedrecord wrote:

It's #99 bruh.

whoops my bad, almost missed Haute Tension being listed as Switchblade Romance as well

One of the individual lists has "High Tension" written in red indicating that it didn't make the list. :roll:
Kevin McCallister

Postby Ampersand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm

RoyalCheese wrote:Has anyone here seen Four Flies on Grey Velvet? It's been sitting in my HD for months but I havent had the urge to watch it

Four Flies is great--honestly, probably my favorite of the Animal films. Genuinely creepy moments, always bewildering plot turns, zany pseudoscience, a "colorful" cast of characters, and a somewhat laid back approach that feels unique in the giallo era. Technically, it's nowhere near as influential (and, in some ways, as good) as Bird, but Bird has a lot of hokey parts, too. Cat is the least essential, but a pretty fun time.
Ampersand

Postby snow wave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 pm

interesting that they put come and see on this list. i never considered it a horror movie, but now that i think about it, it is a truly horrifying movie.
snow wave

Postby Ampersand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

RoyalCheese wrote:
Kevin McCallister wrote:Oh, is Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (the remake or the original) worth the rental?

Absolutely not.

Huh? The original made-for-TV Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (while it occasionally mistakes the "slow-burn horror" approach for the "nothing happens" approach) is top notch. It's a nice dour little number that's easily enjoyable as an adult, but it probably won't have the same terrorizing effect it may have had if you'd seen it as a child.
Ampersand

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Ampersand wrote:
RoyalCheese wrote:

Absolutely not.

Huh? The original made-for-TV Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (while it occasionally mistakes the "slow-burn horror" approach for the "nothing happens" approach) is top notch. It's a nice dour little number that's easily enjoyable as an adult, but it probably won't have the same terrorizing effect it may have had if you'd seen it as a child.

Sorry, I didn't clarify. I meant the remake. I have not seen the original
R C

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I honestly can't get into Italian horror that much. I think it's mostly due to them being either all style over substance, or the opposite extreme, where it's just the most convoluted clusterfuck of a plot ever imagined. Still haven't watched Deep Red or Demons yet, both of which I've heard enough good things to give them a shot.

Conversely, I fucking adore French New Wave Horror. I know that, say, Inside isn't that great of a film, ostensibly, but GODDAMN I felt so emotionally (and even physically since it's such a white-knuckle ride) drained after watching, even on repeat viewings. That said, Frontier(s) is a great big trashy "meh" and Martyrs is a noble failure.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh, and thanks for taking the bait in the anthology thread and making this one, Ampersand. I would've done it, but my threads tend to sink like stones.
Poptone
cat fan

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All