Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Proustitute wrote:Some of my own additions:

As much as I love this and the first two Re-Animators, I kind of hate what they've done to HP Lovecraft as regards all subsequent adaptations. (See: Dagon, Necronomicon, etc.)

Of course, the Historical Society silent films were a step too far in the opposite direction, so whaddya gonna do
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Really can't fathom how something like Wolf Creek (perfectly entertaining, but nothing groundbreaking or particularly stylistically original) ranks higher in that Time Out list than a total class act like Horror of Dracula.

Other gripes about that list: No Ginger Snaps? What the fuck? And fuck Miike, especially Audition. Good for one :shock: which is neutered by the film's reputation preceding it nowadays and the interminable slog to get there in the first place.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Poptone wrote:Other gripes about that list: No Ginger Snaps?

Man if I were the PM I would sink all the art funds into Canadian horror.
Fuck a Passchendaele.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Ampersand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:
Poptone wrote:Other gripes about that list: No Ginger Snaps?

Man if I were the PM I would sink all the art funds into Canadian horror.
Fuck a Passchendaele.

There's a quite neat book about the Canadian horror business, running up through the Ginger Snaps trilogy:

http://www.amazon.com/They-Came-From-Wi ... 1894037219
Last edited by Ampersand on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ampersand

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Poptone wrote:Conversely, I fucking adore French New Wave Horror. I know that, say, Inside isn't that great of a film, ostensibly, but GODDAMN I felt so emotionally (and even physically since it's such a white-knuckle ride) drained after watching, even on repeat viewings.

I've seen their new one Livide a couple of times now. I didn't care for it the first time, but after the second time (which was today), I have a new appreciation for it. It's not a great film, I'd say Inside is better (although realistically you cannot compare them). Livide is more inspired by Argento than anything (imo), yet keeps the brutality of Inside. It's worth checking out if you enjoyed Inside.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 pm

The school library has that book, I'm pretty sure.
Which reminds me that I took out two books with my girlfriend's sister's card, maybe three weeks ago, and never returned them. Fuck.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Poptone wrote:fuck Miike, especially Audition. Good for one :shock: which is neutered by the film's reputation preceding it nowadays and the interminable slog to get there in the first place.

I feel you on Ginger Snaps, but let's not get out of hand here. Audition is an excellent film, totally deserving of its accolades.

But its very inclusion on this list (among thousands of others) robs it of its mystique, which is probably its greatest asset. That first third is played completely straight, doesn't start getting creepy until 35-40 minutes in or so and ramps up nicely. It's formally precise enough to keep the viewer on their toes without tipping its hand how gnarly it's gonna get. Going into it the first time, I had seen Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer, so I figured it would be fucked up, but that in no way prepared me for what happened. There should be a fucking agreement amongst horror fans to keep this film a secret and show it to people without context. That is how it is meant to be seen. Alas.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:20 pm

RoyalCheese wrote:
Poptone wrote:Conversely, I fucking adore French New Wave Horror. I know that, say, Inside isn't that great of a film, ostensibly, but GODDAMN I felt so emotionally (and even physically since it's such a white-knuckle ride) drained after watching, even on repeat viewings.

I've seen their new one Livide a couple of times now. I didn't care for it the first time, but after the second time (which was today), I have a new appreciation for it. It's not a great film, I'd say Inside is better (although realistically you cannot compare them). Livide is more inspired by Argento than anything (imo), yet keeps the brutality of Inside. It's worth checking out if you enjoyed Inside.

Jesus, I completely forgot about Livide. Has it hit torrent sites yet?
Poptone
cat fan

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

edit: yep

good looks bob
Last edited by landspeedrecord on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:
Poptone wrote:fuck Miike, especially Audition. Good for one :shock: which is neutered by the film's reputation preceding it nowadays and the interminable slog to get there in the first place.

I feel you on Ginger Snaps, but let's not get out of hand here. Audition is an excellent film, totally deserving of its accolades.

But its very inclusion on this list (among thousands of others) robs it of its mystique, which is probably its greatest asset. That first third is played completely straight, doesn't start getting creepy until 35-40 minutes in or so and ramps up nicely. It's formally precise enough to keep the viewer on their toes without tipping its hand how gnarly it's gonna get. Going into it the first time, I had seen Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer, so I figured it would be fucked up, but that in no way prepared me for what happened. There should be a fucking agreement amongst horror fans to keep this film a secret and show it to people without context. That is how it is meant to be seen. Alas.

Yeah, I know I'm going after a sacred cow with that one. I'd agree with you wholeheartedly if I didn't feel the rom-comish first act or so falls completely on its face. I don't understand why I should care for the characters at all, the writing is rather bland, the acting doesn't really stand out for me, - it's just *inert*...I dunno. I'm not a fan of Miike's aesthetic, period. I mean, at least with Ichi, I can totally see why people love it, but Audition remains a mystery to me.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Bob511 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm

BluRay rips of Livid surfaced a couple of weeks ago. The subs are probably hand-translated, though, so who knows how good they are.

EDIT: Well, RoyalCheese possibly knows how good they are.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart
Bob511

Postby Sharmoota » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Yeah I'm not a fan of Audition either.
HELP ME
Sharmoota

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Proustitute wrote:Yeah I'm not a fan of Audition either.

o/
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Sharmoota » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:49 pm

\o
Last edited by Sharmoota on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HELP ME
Sharmoota

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

This is the perfect place to talk about how perfect Attack the Block is. I've already watched this film like six times. I mean, any film that can stroke my horror- and Anglophilia at the same time...
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Let's Scare Jessica to Death was amaziiiiing.
I feel like I should send Zohra Lampert a hand-written letter, she was fantastic.
Kevin McCallister

Postby parapet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 pm

still haven't watched inside or martyrs but they seem like i'd like them and i know i've been suggested one of them multiple times
ils/them is really good, and only about 75 minutes iirc

I'll try not to go on about them anymore after this, but Demons is so fun and ridiculous and Demons 2 actually uses the first movie as somewhat of a plot device to do more of the same, and instead of mostly claudio simonetti there are peter murphy, dead can dance and art of noise tracks

we need to put together a HPN movie series lineup in october for a bunch of what's listed in here
parapet

Postby The Munificent Motherwell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Surprisingly I agree with Proustitute on Audition.

I know someguy is a fellow fan, but Jessica Hausner's Hotel is a criminally underrated 00s horror. Does so much with so little in its sub-90 min. running time.

do you know what is darkness?

VHGisdead wrote:i hate to experience things as hilarious and amazing
The Munificent Motherwell

Location: the stoner version of écrits (BRB—out fartlekin' to sloth & dormant & janeret)

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 pm

parapet wrote:
Demons 2 actually uses...peter murphy, dead can dance and art of noise tracks

sold
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Rhodes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Demons 2 is like, not very good.

Demons has some cool makeup and gore effects.
Rhodes

Postby Rhodes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Attack the Block was fucking unrelentingly awesome.
Rhodes

Postby parapet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Hotel was great, yeah. Been wanting to watch that again.
2008's The Children was good as well, I think it was also in the "Best Horror of the last decade" thread that I can't find. I wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't heard about it here because I never actually want to go through the Ghost House Underground stuff or 8 Films to die for, though I bet some are worthwhile.
Pontypool is a recent favorite I keep showing to friends, but it really is best if you go into it totally blind.
parapet

Postby McDermott » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't think that I "like" audition anymore, and I have no desire to watch it again. However, I will always have a soft spot because my college roommates hated me for about a month after I made them watch it.
McDermott

Postby Kuboaa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 pm

parapet wrote:still haven't watched inside or martyrs but they seem like i'd like them and i know i've been suggested one of them multiple times
ils/them is really good, and only about 75 minutes iirc

love Inside, love the first half of Martyrs before it goes to shit
I enjoyed Them as well, I don't think that has been mentioned yet
Kuboaa

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Bob511 wrote:BluRay rips of Livid surfaced a couple of weeks ago. The subs are probably hand-translated, though, so who knows how good they are.

EDIT: Well, RoyalCheese possibly knows how good they are.

The subs were thrown into a translator so they are literal translations so you get some pretty fucked up sentences. HOWEVER, you get the idea of what they are saying. Watch at your own risk. I followed along pretty easily.

Whoever mentioned HOTEL, good job. That's a pretty underrated movie. Someguy told me about it and I watched it one night. Ill admit I didn't like it at first. But the movie kept coming back to me and I just couldnt shake it. Now I think its a pretty legit horror movie. Highly recommended.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby R C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

parapet wrote:2008's The Children.

This is another one that has been sitting in my HD for months. I really need to knock some of these out. Just got a blu ray rip of Quartermass and the Pit. Can't wait to hit that one.
R C

Postby Catullus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 pm

On that original list, I've seen 62. The 70s is really the era I'm missing the most of, and I've seen the most of the 80s.

Weird to me that I've seen more than bob.
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra
Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 pm

hadnt heard of Hotel... gonna give it a try.

i like to toss out Left Bank at this point in the conversation. nothing awesome, but just a cool rainy weekend, asleep on the couch movie. as with most horror trailers, mildly spoilery but not massively so.

also, Tesis... which needs more love.
hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 pm

yeah, the '08 The Children is pretty solid. dont screw up and get the early 80's The Children that troma later released on dvd... on the other hand, do. its indisputably awful but entertainingly so... could just be childhood nostalgia though. been a few years since i watched it.

and as parapet said, Pontypool kicks ass but its best 100% blind.
hiddenicon

Postby Ampersand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I wrote a little response to Jess Franco's Nightmares Come at Night, which you can find at my blog: http://nessuntimore.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -jess.html

Attack the Block is a whole lot of fun, but its social "message" is a little too pat for me.

Demons is about as close as the Italians ever got to capturing the same tone and spectacle of 80s American horror. I've still yet to see Demons 2, though I have the Demons/Demons 2 blu-ray steelbook pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk and eagerly await its arrival.

Ils is the least shitty French horror film of recent years that I've seen, though it's still pretty dumb and shitty. I liked the little noisemakers the killers play with.
Ampersand

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All