Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby cud nylon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:43 am

I read the wikisummary for jigsaw and am still unsure what happens.
cud nylon

Postby Conetoaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:49 am

http://thequietus.com/articles/23468-stephen-thrower-clive-barker-hellraiser-coil-article

This might be interesting to the horror thread, Stephen Thrower of Coil and author of the Eyeball zine and other books on horror talking about Clive barker.

Conetoaster

Postby Wrong Titus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 pm

all of the world wrote:
amazon prime sucks for transfers of older stuff but they are the absolute best thing to happen to modern horror because anyone can upload any piece of shit they made on their camera in a week for $20 with their friends and i can see it. god that sounds like i'm being sarcastic but i'm not. it of course means i have a hell of a lot of absolute shit to wade through but that's part of the fun for me.

also if i gave the impression Creep 2 sucks, it doesn't. i think if you enjoyed the first one you will enjoy the second, just not as much.

That's cool re: newer low budget stuff. Amazon is so unpredictable. I watched Society, same opening watermark as Curtains, yet Society was in HD. And awesome too, like 90210 mixed with Videodrome. The "shunting" scene almost made a friend throw up. 80's was the best decade for blunt force satires.

Wrong Titus

Postby Wrong Titus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Poptone wrote:
Wrong Titus wrote:Like half the horror films on Amazon Prime are worn out VHS rips. I haven't graduated into a Turkington-like aesthete yet so this has been a bummer. I suffered through The Boogeyman, but was hoping to see Messiah of Evil and Curtains in their restored glory. Oh well.

I'm gonna have to check out the sequel to Creep, even if its a stinker. The original is a favorite.

pretty sure i have good copies of both Messiah of Evil and Curtains i can throw in the db later

That would be awesome, I'd really appreciate it (although I don't know if I have privilege to access the dropbox yet, do I need more posts?)

p.s. Does anyone have Filmstruck? They just uploaded 11 Mario Bava movies. So far watched Kill Baby...Kill! and Bay of Blood, both great. They looked beautiful too. Italian horror has been such a slow learning curve for me, but this seems to be the year it's finally clicking.

Wrong Titus

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:36 am

Does anyone have Wrong Turn they might be able to up to the DB? Haven't seen it since it came out, wouldn't mind revisiting for Halloween weekend. Thanks!
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby mascotte » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:32 am

Classy stuff, both versions worth watching

mascotte

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 am

The ending of Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968) is horrifying.

Kevin McCallister

Postby mancubz » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 pm

watched society today and i really wish i could have some crazy body-horror make-up on at least 80% of the time
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby nosebleeds » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:10 pm

The textures in Society make me want to throw up. That's a compliment btw.

nosebleeds

Postby dan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Oct. 25 - THE WITCHING (1993)
A family finds that the refrigerator in their kitchen is a gateway to Hell, and they must battle a witch.

One of the worst things I've ever watched. Ugly, annoying, and extremely unfunny. F-

Oct. 27 - EFFECTS (1980)

Some crew members of a company shooting a horror film begin to suspect that the "killings" in the movie are real, and that they are actually making a "snuff" film.

Has a very loose, almost behind the scenes feel to the first half which details the making of a nondescript horror movie. Large chunks of runtime dedicated to just showing "scenes" from the movie and all the setup, angles, effects prep and whatnot. It's boring but also kind of calming. Then the snuff stuff starts and this begins to lose me by introducing a plot and it also gets rather unpleasant. D
Last edited by dan on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: horror/spooky podcasts, I checked out NoSleep and was pretty underwhelmed. Enjoyed the recent Spooked podcast and always love Astonishing Legends. Any reccs?

FourLegsGood

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 am

Eaten Alive - I had never seen this (I had heard it tho, I have a tape of the movie's audio). Was a lot better than I expected.

78/52 - Interesting documentary about the shower scene in Psycho. Some of the people interviewed were great, some were annoying, like Elijah Wood and his friends.

Tag - I like Sion Sono. He's not afraid to try and do something even if it might not fully work or make any logical sense. He's like a second tier Miike which is not a bad place to be.

Our Evil - Brazillian movie about a guy who hires an assassin off the deep web. It was a tough watch at times but i thought it was very good.

Game of Death - Kind of stupid movie about a bunch of kids who play a boardgame that makes you kill people. Fun at times. I didn't walk out.

Victor Crowley - I'm not a fan of the Hatchet franchise. I walked out after about half the movie.

Event Horizon
- I really like this movie. It's not...very good? But I like it. Nice to see it on 35mm.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Tales from the Darkside
S1:E1

FourLegsGood

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am

Don't Deliver Us From Evil

Up there with Alucarda in the satanic schoolgirl genre. so much heresy/so little time.

emotional fascism

Postby aububs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:38 am

Better Watch Out - i thought this would be awful when it started but it's actually pretty good

68 Kill - despite my better judgement i enjoyed this a lot
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby dan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Oct 28 - DOMINION (1992)

The pint-sized leader of a group of vampires plans a rock concert to revive his dark master.

One of 46 films directed by Todd Sheets and I don't think I'll be looking into the other 45. F

Oct 30 - NIGHT OF THE DEVILS (1972)

A man in an insane asylum recalls the horror that brought him there: his days spent with a family in the woods who live in fear of a witch's curse.

Some fun skull deflating in the Italian woods. It's fairly uneventful but still engaging and of course some weird shit happens every now and then. Nothing to big to take away from it though, other than the lovely Giorgio Gaslini soundtrack. C+
Last edited by dan on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan

Postby futurist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm

I haven't seen much Todd Sheets but Goblin was some kinda fun after a few beers. i thought The Witching was alittle bit more fun than you did, but solely because it was fun to mock. though not technically a Sheet film?

futurist

Postby dan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm sure they're probably good moments spread throughout the Sheets filmography if its that massive, but I was just not having any fun at all with Dominion.
I almost wanted to say that it was hard to be *that* angry with The Witching because it was such a harmless, tiny, low-budget feature (even by homemade SOV standards) but the unending reference based humor was really not sitting well with me at the time.
I think the main thing to take away from all this is the ratings don't matter at all and I'm not really sure why I do them in the first place.

dan

Postby oglop » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:31 am

leatherface - they should have shelved it forever

shadow of the vampire - what a waste of an interesting premise. everyone seemed bored out of their minds. was it even supposed to be a comedy? it didn't look like it but dafoe kept making these stupid faces

spontaneous combustion - rewatch. love the first half and brad dourif is the goddamn best

oglop

Postby seafoam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am

oops doubled
Last edited by seafoam on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

seafoam

Postby seafoam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am

having trouble with a movie name, takes place in the 40's out in small village, one son goes off to war and the younger brother experiences horrifying things in the village, like a cat gets tortured, a boy disappears and is found in a barrel of water maybe?

Oh, I remember some scary leather wearing jacket dudes speed into town in their old black car sort of sinisterly scoping things out

anyway it was slow but freaking dark

seafoam

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:32 pm

happy halloween yall

was waaaay too busy this month for october watching but i'm gonna try to hop on this last day of the CG freeleech and bulk up for winter. any obscure requests? could try to track some stuff down.

futurist

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:37 pm

yeah i got an obscure request

been looking for La Goulve (aka Erotic Witchcraft) w/ english subs or dubbed

dunno, might be on there
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby antoine » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:43 pm

1922 was good. I hope Netflix just keeps doing these small King adaptations, they're two for two. Really impressed with Thomas Jane's performance.

antoine

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:55 pm

aububs wrote:yeah i got an obscure request

been looking for La Goulve (aka Erotic Witchcraft) w/ english subs or dubbed

dunno, might be on there

the only one with fan subs isn't a part of the free leech unfortunately, but i bookmarked it for the christmas free leech. looks cool.

futurist

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:41 pm

no worries, good to know a copy with fan subs exists!

have wanted to see it for a long time

it is on youtube, but in french
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm

unfortunately the French one is up for free leech, oddly enough.

futurist

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:03 pm

"how much for ozzy tickets? best seats in the house! .... 18 DOLLARS???"

metal, meatheads, cocaine, blood... my kinda movie

futurist

Postby dan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:19 pm

OCT 31 - NIGHT OF TERROR aka ESCAPE FROM THE INSANE ASYLUM (1986)

A man attempts to gaslight his wife and lock her in an asylum in order to get her money. He plans to use this money to further his research into brain surgery experiments.
This thing's a total snooze and pretty hard to follow. Giving it a tiny bit of credit for the music performance and it's splicing in of footage from other horror movies without any justification. F+

dan

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 pm

dan wrote:splicing in of footage from other horror movies without any justification.

big fan of that

i loved in Doom Asylum when they put in alarmingly long clips from old todd slaughter movies in a blatant attempt to lengthen the running time

i should rewatch doom asylum. i agree with this youtube clip that tina and the tots are the best fake movie band ever

astonishing vigils

aububs

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley