Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 pm

4. Roadgames (1981)- d. Richard Franklin
More Aussie stuff. Another one I hadnt watched in over a decade. Always described as "Rear Window on the road". Ending is a bit weak (in fact, a lot of some pretty smart set-up is let down by the direction at times....van/bathroom scene reveal comes to mindToggle Spoiler) and it had some pacing issues, but otherwise I really like it. Stacy Keach is great. Jaime Lee Curtis is solid with what little she has to work with. It's a terrific premise executed competently. I'd like to see a modern stab at something like this with a similar tone.

5. Vampire in Venice (1988)- d. Augusto Caminito, Klaus Kinski, Luigi Cozzi, Maurizio Lucidi
Switched gears, went to Italy. Been watching some late-era Kinski recently and had never seen this one. Kinski, Pleasance, and Christopher Plummer. As you can probably tell by that director list up top, this one was a trainwreck behind the scenes. Originally intended as a direct sequel to Herzog's Nosferatu, that plan had to be abandoned and it got tagged with the ol' "spiritual successor" cause Kinski refused to put on the make-up again. Venice and found locations do most of the heavy lifting (often shot as day-for-night, when they bother to even do that much... sometime the sun is over Kinski's shoulder in frame. They play pretty fast and loose with the vamp mythology). Wanna watch Kinski walk around the Piazza San Marco uninterested? Cause montages of that feel like they make up half the fucking film. He's still hypnotically watchable, but he clearly doesnt give a shit about any of this. Plummer is cashing a check without embarrassing himself as a half-assed Van Helsing clone and Pleasance is playing his umpteenth priest in a handful of scenes before seemingly vanishing into thin air. Overall, it's just pretty aimless shit.

Still got one to watch tonight. Fun first day.
hiddenicon

Postby all of the world » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:42 am

Satanic Attraction (1989)
brazil i think? a radio dj is making up a bloody horror story and people from all walks of life are tuning in ("your favorite program is on!") although some worry the show is causing panic (doesn't seem to be) and the dj is irritated she didn't take the time to write the story at home first. but then the killings start for real! the premise is ridiculous in a good way and there's a lot of gore if you like that sort of thing (i didn't say it was well done) but overall this is just so-so.

American Translation (2011)
french. a woman falls for a man who kills male prostitutes. this isn't disturbing like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer but it is an attempt at fusing a romance with killing in a realistic way. lots of driving while music plays, although the fact that they have two songs from Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! doesn't hurt. i thought it was decent.

TrashHouse (2005)
people get paid to test some implanted chip that allows them to create their own reality, although the realities are linked and that becomes a problem when one of them is a killer. truly awful cgi, but it's somewhat funny to see people interact with it. not good.

Awaken the Shadowman (2017)
a guy returns to his hometown to help his brother find their missing mom. how long will it take you to figure out this is a movie about a cult? probably around 10 minutes even though the movie acts like it's a mystery. it's not bad but it's terribly predictable.

Let Me Make You a Martyr (2016)
i wanted to put this here since i saw it on Shudder and it's grouped in with horror movies and has marilyn manson in it but it is not a horror film. it's a midwest crime film and it isn't interesting.

The Mitchell Tapes (2010)
shown at a festival in 2010 and just now released via Amazon streaming, this is like the millionth "paranormal investigations show goes horrible wrong" movie i've seen and it is worthless. if you experienced a drop in temperature from 80f to 50f, i think you'd feel it, you wouldn't all need to gather around a dumb instrument to stare at the readout.

PRND (2017)
thought this was good. not great, but i liked it and found it pretty amusing. basically it's Christine if Christine was an Uber car discarding drivers as soon as they decide to get rid of her. the main guy, Max, cracked me up quite a bit with his ridiculous responses to the passengers. also it's disturbing that trump has been in office long enough that you can watch a movie where someone says "trump was right about those people" and "they need to build a wall around that neighborhood"

A Resurrection (2013)
murdered guy kills people to come back to life while high school counselor Mischa Barton tries to get to the bottom of it. and her fiance Devon Sawa is off in a police car investigating red herrings. i like the one guy who should win some kind of extreme pouting award. his performance is the highlight of this not very good at all movie.

What Really Frightens You (2009)
from the director of Class of Nuke 'Em High, The Toxic Avenger and Splatter University. pluses: it's shot on film, uses non-cgi monsters and effects and they even have crane shots. a write for a magazine interviews people about what scares them and then they end up being scared to death. it's cheese. decent cheese.

Scaler, Dark Spirit (2016)
about half this movie is someone in the editing room making fancy scene transitions. the other half is a woman investigating a team of ghost hunters who died and uncovering a race of creatures from another dimension feeding off people. it isn't awful i guess.

Badder Ben: The Final Chapter (2017)
the third movie from Nigel Bach about the house on steelmanville road. Bad Ben was only notable for being a semi-decent found footage film with only Nigel Bach in it. Steelmanville Road was a prequel showing what happened to the family who lived in the house before him and it was less interesting. this one i found pretty enjoyable since it goes the comedy route and it amused me. "i never knew there were so many different levels of demons" "of course you didn't, you're a cameraman" basically some paranormal investigators get nigel to go back to the house then they stir up the spirits to make a good documentary. you really don't need to see the first two since everything you need to know is in this one.
all of the world

Postby smelts » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 pm

1. Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse (2015)
Didn't anticipate being hella hungover yesterday to kick the month off so decided to start off with something not too intense. This is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the title. It's basically like an early 2000's sex romp with zombies, with alot of the dialog and ideologies that are about just as dated. That being said I gotta soft spot for these kinda movies and the cast was pretty likeable, this was an ok way to turn my brain on and kick off the month

Pretty stoked to dig into Child Eater (thanks Amp!) and maybe The Devil's Candy tonight
smelts

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm gonna stick to mostly tried and true classics for this year, per my photo op earlier in the thread, and spend some quality time with some old friends.

Started last night with:
Hotel (Hausner - 2004)
The Funhouse (Hooper - 1981)

Hotel gets better/creepier every time I see it. There's so much unsaid and I want to know it all, but the real terror comes from not knowing.
emotional fascism

Postby Zardoz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:08 pm

fun fact my uncle was a production assistant on Hooper's Funhouse

So I watched Child Eater and thought it was a pretty uninspired walk in the shadow of Jeepers Creepers, less body horror less fun. Next of Kin was a great flick some real inspired corpse makeup in that film. Dug the set piece finale and I think this film portrayed the brutality of hammers and shotguns well enough.
Zardoz

Postby warmhouse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Poptone wrote:i don't know how i feel about mother!

i enjoyed the experience of watching it, took me on quite the ride, lovingly shot, wonderful performances, but...it does feel kind of hollow in the end.

i think the feeling i had at the end of it was a desire for it to be based in reality more. you realise at the end that they live in this little bubble that doesn't actually have any basis in the real world, the house is an island in the middle of nowhere. the whole movie was an allegory for the bible or whatever, but i wanted it to be an allegory for the bible that happened to actual people, not just puppets that were created entirely for the allegory to happen to.Toggle Spoiler not sure if that makes sense.
warmhouse

Postby futurist » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 pm

haven't gotten to Child Eater yet, been to busy to start the october marathoning (good thing i went hard in September.)

but one more request... apparently released thru Troma yesterday if anyone happens to see it pop up.

futurist

Postby fresh salad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I thought Gerald's Game did a great job with the source material
Their moonlight Man wasn't what I had in my head but it was pretty good.

That shit kept me up many a night looking into dark corners and swearing I saw a face
:shock:
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby CudNylon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:54 pm

sticking to psychological stuff to start the month cause florida sucks for feeling the october spirit. trying for at least one a day after maybe getting six movies in last year but already i'm 2 for 2 on looking for quick flicks to cram in before night's end. even going on a wrestling hiatus outside of ppvs for more time. this week will be interesting though as i plan to rewatch blade runner before seeing the new one and i can't cheat and count those towards my total. anyways, so far...

1. gerald's game (great performances, ending not so much)
2. raw (good movie!)
CudNylon

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:30 am

Boy, did I hate A Dark Song. I'm baffled that this wretched movie has a 90% Rotten Tomato rating. Incredibly dull and irritating.
Why does almost every horror movie in the past decade look so drab and uninspired?
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby antoine » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:35 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:Boy, did I hate A Dark Song. I'm baffled that this wretched movie has a 90% Rotten Tomato rating. Incredibly dull and irritating.
Why does almost every horror movie in the past decade look so drab and uninspired?

yeah it was bad
antoine

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:55 am

considering this was a King adaptation i'm not familiar with it's amazing how thematically similar it is to the rest of Flanagan's work. childhood trauma, psychological doubt, indistinguishable time and space.... really finally falling into his own here. and in the past it's often been flanagan's sense of story that's kept me from praising him as an all out frontrunner for modern horror, despite being a fan of all of his output so far, but here things really all fall into place (until the epilogue, agreed.) ultimately this actually captures the feeling of reading a king novel to a point... king's cringeworthy worldview and inability to bring a story to finality. i need to read the novel now, Misery vibes are really soothing for me.
futurist

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 am

i kind of enjoyed the silliness of the ending but having read above how it plays out in the book, that seems a lot more effective, and I'm sure Flanagan could have pulled that off if he'd wanted to

I loved all of the red eclipse shots
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 am

DH just posted an interview snippit with Flanagan about it:

“It was something when I read the book that I loved. I know it was polarizing with fans of the book, so the people that hated that epilogue in the book are going to hate it in the movie.

I fully expect that [the epilogue is] going to be the lightning rod for people to be like ‘Oh I was so into it and then (groans) that ending.’ But that’s what happened in the book. There was never a time where it felt right to do the film without that ending, for better or worse.”
hiddenicon

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am

it's totally fair enough that Flanagan kept the ending of the book (i like the ending personally) but the post above that says the book's slow reveal over a few nights that the figure in the corner is realToggle Spoiler, is not what Flanagan did, he just suddenly hit you with that reveal as a part of the epilogue.

I dunno. I liked the movie.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby parapet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:54 pm

also would have enjoyed more struycken, wouldn't have minded it being longer to accommodate at all because it would mean we'd have more of gugino's great performance as well
parapet

Postby giant_turtle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:00 pm

So the book reveal happens prior to the epilogue? If so, yeah, that is a missed opportunity.

That interview snippet seems like he stayed faithful to King's structure though??
giant_turtle

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 pm

giant_turtle wrote:So the book reveal happens prior to the epilogue? If so, yeah, that is a missed opportunity.

That interview snippet seems like he stayed faithful to King's structure though??

i haven't read the book but yeah that's what i got from this post:

emotional fascism wrote:Gerald's Game - very good, not great.

I prefer the book's reveal slowly over a couple nights that dude in the corner is really there. It's terrifying in the book when she starts to make out the shape of something in the dark corner at night. I feel like Flanagan missed an opportunity there for some real deep scare.Toggle Spoiler Also thought the epilogue was corny and not needed. I thought Flanagan did a decent job with the material though.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby smelts » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm

2. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
This felt like it woulda been better as two shorter movies, cause the first hour-ish of Jason on a boat was great. Competent direction, decent cast (Chick from Da Vinci’s Inquest as the forbidding old dude!), and I’m sorry but that boat was awesome! There were boxing matches, dance clubs, boiler rooms, that boat had more diverse locales than the first 7 movies combined! Like if you ignore the logistics of the lake/ocean stuff, the horrendously misleading title, the egregious continuity/ending, and cut out most of the Manhattan stuff which yeah was good for what it was but mostly dragged for a bunch of easy New York jokes, had they called this F13 8: Oh Fuck Jason’s On a Boat!, this is almost kinda one of the better Fridays

3. Child Eater (2016)
For a clearly way low budget movie, this is really well made and impressive in alotta ways. The exterior shots are gorgeous, the mythology and look of Child Eater are excellent. The acting is baaaaad, but mostly this is the kinda movie where I enjoyed it but wished it had better rescources

4. The Devil’s Candy (2015)
Between this and The Loved Ones, I’m pretty much down to follow whatever this dude directs next, these are good movies that I like
smelts

Postby Peter Criss » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:35 pm

aububs wrote:
giant_turtle wrote:So the book reveal happens prior to the epilogue? If so, yeah, that is a missed opportunity.

I prefer the book's reveal slowly over a couple nights that dude in the corner is really there. It's terrifying in the book when she starts to make out the shape of something in the dark corner at night. I feel like Flanagan missed an opportunity there for some real deep scare.Toggle Spoiler Also thought the epilogue was corny and not needed. I thought Flanagan did a decent job with the material though.

As I remember you don't know for sure if the midnight man (called Space Cowboy in the novel) is actually real or not until the epilogue, very similar to the film's ending - granted it's been awhile since I read it, but reading over the wiki plot summary and it seems to line upToggle Spoiler

but there is much more build up in the novel so the payoff works a lot better, I think that is what emotional fascism was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong tho)
Peter Criss

Postby emotional fascism » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Peter Criss wrote:
aububs wrote:

As I remember you don't know for sure if the midnight man (called Space Cowboy in the novel) is actually real or not until the epilogue, very similar to the film's ending - granted it's been awhile since I read it, but reading over the wiki plot summary and it seems to line upToggle Spoiler

but there is much more build up in the novel so the payoff works a lot better, I think that is what emotional fascism was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong tho)

yep - that's exactly it. I had more issue with the hastiness of the events in the evenings than the reveal itself. a few more minutes in runtime to dwell in that dread would have been sweet.
emotional fascism

Postby Wrong Titus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Another spoilery thought on Gerald's Game

The whole idea of a manchild Ed Gein derivative, while by no means original when the book came out in 1992, was at least a bit less played out than it is now. When King leaned into some of the details of his escapades, it was a bit perfunctory, but still some transgressive elements retained their shine. In the movie, it just seemed rote, like Gulino was bored even having to talk about it. I think it was a deliberate choice in her performance/the direction, but I don't know that it worked.Toggle Spoiler
Wrong Titus

Postby giant_turtle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Well the voiceover/complete change in style/scenery didn't do it any favors either.
giant_turtle

Postby fresh salad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 pm

my gosh she looked good in that dress though
:oops:
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby i am rich » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm

i liked geralds game even if the ending was a bit of a letdown. also, killing ground was super gnarly, thanks for the rec/up. i agree with above poster re: child eater - was pretty damn good except for the horrible acting. kinda reminded me of absentia-level acting though probably slightly worse. made me wonder what the director could do with more a la the flanster, though i think dude is prob not as talented
i am rich

Postby warmhouse » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 pm

i feel like if you liked the geralds game film you should definitely try the book - the first space cowboy scene is maybe the scariest thing he's ever written. there's also a "sister" novel that the movie referenced
warmhouse

Postby Ampersand » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Gerald's. Game's. Ending. Rules.

I will never read the book.
Ampersand

Postby i am rich » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:18 pm

re warmhouse interesting rec, never read any king and frankly not rushing to do so. ampersand, i did like the ending and will prob never read the book either.
i am rich

Postby parapet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:07 pm

really interested in reading Dolores Claiborne after reading Gerald's Game in like 3 days last month, I'll do a double feature after but remember liking the movie when it had its initial video release. can't remember how much of that was the cast.
parapet

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Hell yeah, thanks to whoever DB'd Deadly Friend. I have fond memories of flipping through channels at my insanely religious friend's house and stumbling across the basketball scene as his mom walked into the room.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....