Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:40 am

went to a fun lecture tonight put on by the Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies... "I Dream of Deep Water: An Exploration of the History and Psychology of Aquatic Horror." touched on everything from folklore to Lovecraft to Sharknado.

if anyone lives in LA, NYC, or London I'd suggest checking out their programming!

the next LA one looks great:

"ROTTEN BODIES, ROTTEN BLOOD: MEDICAL CRISES AND CONTROVERSIES AS REFLECTED THROUGH HORROR CINEMA:

The horror genre has always been informed by bottomless displaced anxieties about the body, disease, and medicine. In this lecture, David J. Skal, the author of THE MONSTER SHOW and HOLLYWOOD GOTHIC explores the pop culture underpinnings of modern horror in real-life medical crises and controversies, including the preoccupation with demon children that took hold as thalidomide, birth control, and abortion changed the reproductive landscape; the poisoned Tylenol crisis of 1982; the vogue in visceral, transformative special effects that paralleled the development of the plastic surgery industry; the link between the AIDS epidemic and a resurgent fascination with vampires; and much more."
futurist

Postby Mesh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 am

hiddenicon wrote:
goofjan wrote:
haddonfield wrote:Has anyone here seen the scrader exorcist prequel? Real curious about it but it has such a reputation as another one of his projects ruined by studio interference

A Film by Paul Schrader and Renny Harlin

it's only fun if you watch both of em and only then from a film study perspective

Pretty much.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby Poptone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am

futurist wrote:went to a fun lecture tonight put on by the Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies... "I Dream of Deep Water: An Exploration of the History and Psychology of Aquatic Horror." touched on everything from folklore to Lovecraft to Sharknado.

if anyone lives in LA, NYC, or London I'd suggest checking out their programming!

"ROTTEN BODIES, ROTTEN BLOOD: MEDICAL CRISES AND CONTROVERSIES AS REFLECTED THROUGH HORROR CINEMA:

The horror genre has always been informed by bottomless displaced anxieties about the body, disease, and medicine. In this lecture, David J. Skal, the author of THE MONSTER SHOW and HOLLYWOOD GOTHIC explores the pop culture underpinnings of modern horror in real-life medical crises and controversies, including the preoccupation with demon children that took hold as thalidomide, birth control, and abortion changed the reproductive landscape; the poisoned Tylenol crisis of 1982; the vogue in visceral, transformative special effects that paralleled the development of the plastic surgery industry; the link between the AIDS epidemic and a resurgent fascination with vampires; and much more."

That sounds *awesome*

Wish they would podcast these in some format
Poptone
cat fan

Postby RIXX » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:07 am

futurist wrote:went to a fun lecture tonight put on by the Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies... "I Dream of Deep Water: An Exploration of the History and Psychology of Aquatic Horror." touched on everything from folklore to Lovecraft to Sharknado.

oh my god fuckkk I wish I could've went to the aquatic one last night. I'n so bummed. Also I can't believe I've never heard of this place, it sounds incredible! this will fill the same itch that going to lectures at the Brooklyn Morbid Anatomy Museum used to for me (RIP)

i am def gonna check this one out tonight, Dan Curtis: Old School/New School
RIXX

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:35 am

they used to hold their lectures at the morbid anatomy museum!

miskatonic rules
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:01 pm

RIXX the aquatic one was in LA but it looks like you have great programming in nyc!
futurist

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 pm

what are the top 3 horror films ever listed in this thread

what should I watch tonight and maybe in upcoming days before wednesday
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:06 pm

basket case? body melt? anguish? god told me to? the friday the 13th with crispin glover? poltergeist? ghostwatch? symptoms? new york ripper? the gate?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Poltergeist
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby neely o'hara » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:19 pm

haddonfield wrote:Has anyone here seen the scrader exorcist prequel? Real curious about it but it has such a reputation as another one of his projects ruined by studio interference

I thought it was spooky!
neely o'hara

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:00 am

Poptone wrote:
odilon redon wrote:ugh exorcist 3 was a disappointing rewatch. just a tedious crawl of dour self-seriousness with incongruous unintentional goofiness, punctuated by bad performances from good actors and that one pearl of an undeniably all time classic jump scare. still really want to catch that exorcist 2 rerelease i bet dollars to donuts that that holds up better than this

o/

feel like i'm one of the only ones who isn't into this one nowadays

exorcist ii is a giant sloppy mess of a film but it's also gonzo bonkers batshit insane fun

It’s funny because he was approached by WB to do Exorcist, and he stuck his nose up at it because he felt that it would be a movie where the hook is torturing a child. Then he goes on to do 2. I’ve never seen it, but maybe I should?

I like Exorcist III. The scream factory blu ray has a rough assemblage of the original shoot, which changes the thing p drastically. They do away with Karas being possessed/new incarnation of Gemini and the end is this real cryptic but tense dialogue between Brad Dourif and George C Scott regarding Dourif’s attempts to disgrace his priest dadToggle Spoiler. It’s a flawed movie, but that director’s cut has the germs of something interesting.
As a reader of historical naval fiction,

office plant wrote:what we've got here is a bad case of the narcissism of small differences
Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby FourLegsGood » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:36 am

Most of the classic Terence Fisher Hammer Horror films are up on Filmstruck rn.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:41 am

dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby madness and chaos » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:04 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls070309466/

list seems cool. which of these rule?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby haddonfield » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:06 am

since they're counting Brand Upon The Brain as a horror movie (which thinking about it, i would too) definitely seek that out
haddonfield

Postby Mesh » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:48 am

madness and chaos wrote:https://www.imdb.com/list/ls070309466/

list seems cool. which of these rule?

Raw Meat is the one I'd highlight, underseen and pretty great.
Mesh

Postby odilon redon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:37 am

wait there are people who like midnight meat train
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:16 pm

QUICK should i watch Hellraiser or Deep Red?

I THINK I've seen Hellraiser but remember very little except a "feed me, seymour!"-style plot and it feeling surprisingly soap-y, so both would essentially be new
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby animefilm » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Deep Red
animefilm

Postby Mesh » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:QUICK should i watch Hellraiser or Deep Red?

I THINK I've seen Hellraiser but remember very little except a "feed me, seymour!"-style plot and it feeling surprisingly soap-y, so both would essentially be new

The feed me part includes some really brutal moments of bloodlust. Hellraiser is a little homespun/soapy but I think that helps the gore, brutality, and perversity pop a little more.
Mesh

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:33 pm

oh yeah i remember it being pretty gross and gory. i can handle soapy, my favorite thing is twin peaks :)

hmm, Deep Red seems to be the shorter cut (on amazon prime)

edit: looks like a lot of people say that's the one to go with anyways...
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby hiddenicon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:10 pm

83. The House Where Evil Dwells
I said no more crap in the last post, but maybe a little more crap? Motel Hell director's follow-up lacks that movie's style, but is still just nuts enough in between the long boring bits. I mean, look at that screen grab. An American family is haunted by the ghosts of a love triangle from feudal Japan. Crab puppets chase a little girl up a tree. 1982 Doug McClure is irresistible to Susan George. Little flat for much of the run time but I can't argue that it wasnt unique.

84. Humanoids from the Deep
Accidental Doug McClure double feature! Seen this one a few times. A hoot, though infamous for Roger Corman's insistence that the movie contain more violent fish rape... the director and star of the movie tried to get their names pulled from the film and refused to promote it. It's the surprisingly graphic parts stitched onto a simple rubber monster suit movie that make it so memorable, though. That and Barbara Peeters' colorful direction (originally, this was to be an early Joe Dante film, but he walked.. though Peeters maintains that slickness). Dumb fucking movie, but hard not to like.

85. The Sect
AKA The Devil's Daughter. So, Michael Soavi. Argento acolyte. Looked like he was gonna be a thing and then just sorta stopped making movies. StageFright: Aquarius, The Church, this, and Cemetery Man. That's a not too shabby run. Then nothing. Anyway, this is the least of those four though it isn't entirely without merits. Stars Jaime Lee Curtis's older sister in one of her only parts. Standard "girl giving birth to the antichrist" story. Too long with the standard issue nonsensical plot. Does have an occasional stylistic flourish. Not a total waste.

86. Prince of Darkness
Always loved this movie and, while it seems to be generally liked by horror fans, I always feel this one gets short shrift among John Carpenter's heyday films (as does Christine). Yeah, it's no The Thing or Halloween, but I just love the mood and the strangeness of it all (the introduction of "the dream" is what puts it over the top for me). Some GREAT visuals. An annual favorite.

87. Trick 'r Treat
Starting to hit the home stretch, so this will probably start getting pretty "standard fare". This is one of my favorite anthology movies. Outside of Halloween and maybe Halloween 3, this is the most "halloween movie" ever made. Good connective tissue between the stories. Slick sheen. Doesn't overstay its welcome. Really hope Dougherty knocks it out of the park with the new Godzilla... think he's been in Triple A long enough.

88. Noroi The Curse
Finally got around to seeing this one. It was fun. Inventive. Didn't exactly find it scary... creepy few moments maybe. Couple of shots I loved, though not helped by HD. But yeah... really held my interest. Just a solid grab bag of cool ideas and moments.

89. Satan's Slaves
Indonesian horror remake that's been getting a little love. I just found it hoary and generic, though being set in 1982 Indonesia helped differentiate it from Western hoary and generic. Tries to do a mix of Flanagan style creep and cheap jump scares, but telegraphs EVERYTHING. Comes to life a little at the end. Not great though.

90. The Thing
I never get tired of this movie. Can watch it on a loop. Fun facts: Came out the same day as Blade Runner, both of which got their asses kicked at the BO by ET, Poltergeist, and Star Trek 2, all of which opened within a month of each other (along with The Road Warrior, Rocky 3, and Annie). Tron opened the following week :)

91. The Cabin the Woods
Big early adopter of Cabin in the Woods... saw it 4 times in the theater on initial release. One of the most joyful love letters to horror films. Just fucking fun with one of the best final 20 minutes around. Wish Goddard was a bit more prolific as a director.

Probably just one more of these lists to go, unless I get on a tear. Very likely the last time I aim for 100 in a month... probably scale back to something far more reasonable next year. Fried.
hiddenicon

Postby Rhodes » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Love Prince of Darkness. Watched it recently. Every year when the air starts to chill I always get the urge to listen to the soundtrack while I'm driving for work :twisted:
Rhodes

Postby Bob511 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:27 pm

hiddenicon wrote:So, Michael Soavi. Argento acolyte. Looked like he was gonna be a thing and then just sorta stopped making movies. StageFright: Aquarius, The Church, this, and Cemetery Man. That's a not too shabby run. Then nothing.

He has an interview on the Absurd/Rosso Sangue/etc. Blu-ray that I want to say touched on this, something to the effect of his taking a break (to care for a sick kid, it looks like) more or less coinciding with the complete collapse of Italian genre world, so that when he came back it was like relearning everything/reinventing himself, reestablishing contacts/relationships, and taking what work he could get.

And also a lot of gushing about the genius of Joe D'Amato.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart
Bob511

Postby Rhodes » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:28 pm

This is not a dream.

Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? I've got a message for you.... and you're not going to like it. Pray for death.
Rhodes

Postby hiddenicon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Bob511 wrote:
hiddenicon wrote:So, Michael Soavi. Argento acolyte. Looked like he was gonna be a thing and then just sorta stopped making movies. StageFright: Aquarius, The Church, this, and Cemetery Man. That's a not too shabby run. Then nothing.

He has an interview on the Absurd/Rosso Sangue/etc. Blu-ray that I want to say touched on this, something to the effect of his taking a break (to care for a sick kid, it looks like) more or less coinciding with the complete collapse of Italian genre world, so that when he came back it was like relearning everything/reinventing himself, reestablishing contacts/relationships, and taking what work he could get.

And also a lot of gushing about the genius of Joe D'Amato.

that's too bad.... but he's still fairly young considering his heyday. i know he's done a few crime dramas in the last decade. like to see him give the genre one more crack.
hiddenicon

Postby smelts » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:43 pm

19. Halloween (2007)
I know alot of people ride pretty hard for Rob Zombie and these movies in particular, but man this is not my thing. Kinda just ruins everything I like about the franchise in like the lamest angsty-teen "in your face!" kinda way, just not for me

20. The Stuff (1985)
This was easily the best thing I've seen all month, huge thanks to the board love for this cause I'd never even heard of it but man, yeah the Halloween 3 vibe comparisons scratched that itch and more. Great design and media world building for The Stuff, performances and overall story take you for a pretty unexpected ride with some pretty bonkers moments along the way, absolutely loved this through and through

21. The Mummy (1959)
First foray into Hammer films, the gf has been raving about em all month and they're just like kinda like a nice reliable hour an a half watch. Who knew young Peter Cushing looks exactly like Tom Hiddleson? Who knew Christopher Lee is tall and imposing as fuck? I mean I guess anybody who's watched any of these Hammer movies, looking forward to diving deeper over the winter

22. Apostle (2018)
This one's pretty divisive on the board this month, definitely went into this under alot of weird expectation, but for real I really enjoyed this. Kinda slogs in the middle a little, but other than that I really dug the initial build, solid performances, great tone and great looking movie overall, the weird stuff is weird but I was totally into it. I should note that I think this is pretty different than alot of the folk-horror and slow burn stuff that people tend to have clicked into pretty hard over the last while so like if you're looking for another The Witch this ain't it, but this was an unexpectedly enjoyable watch over here. Also re:torture porn, yeah this definitely has a couple brutal spots, but everything serves the plot and is pretty sparse in the grand haul of the movie, the torture porn stuff almost turned me off from checking this out as I really can't get into that stuff, but def would not consider this by any stretch "torture porn"

23. Frightmare (1974)
I really didn't know what I was getting into with this one, pre-slasher slasher and this movie is dry and British as fuck so like it was weird when my buddy was really stoked to introduce everyone to it as a group watch, but yeah I mean it was pretty for what it was, kind of a similar vein to The Red Queen Kills Seven Times as far as content, but RQK7T is def waaay better

24. Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
Hadn't seen this since I was a kid but was looking forward to it all month. Strangely competent and well made fucked up kids movie. That Troll was pretty fuckin unsettling as was alot stuff going on here that lived up to the totally wtf feeling of seeing it when I was a kid. Eartha Kitt fuckin slays in this, this was a super fun and weird revisit for sure. Man, the Ernest phenomenon, what the hell even

25. The Babysitter (2017)
This was just like the sugariest rot your teeth fucking cola drink of a fun ultra violent kids movie, really dug this

26. Frankenstein (1931)
Google kept telling me this was a 2hr movie, was kinda pleasantly surprised to find it's only 70mins for how much volume you go through this month, but man, idunno how the hell they coulda filled 2hrs cause they were struggling with 70mins. Had high hopes for this after really digging Dracula earlier this month, and Karloff is really effective at being spooky as hell with some scene, but after the build up and reveal of those first monster scenes, everything else kinda falls flat for me and just turns into a total slog. Gf just got a 30 movie Universal Monster box set in the mail Friday though, prob gonna watch Phantom Of The Opera tonight from board recommendation, but overall sofar Dracula>>>>>Frankenstein

27. Body Bags (1993)
Had gone on some pretty great anthology runs last year, but realized that not only had I not seen this one, but that this'd be my first anthology of the month, and perfect one for the completionist in me currently running through the Halloween series to get the Haddonfield connection. This was fun enough, first story was some fun Carpenter atmosphere, the casting is a real fuckin trip, and to echo the overall sentiment on this this month, the Carpenter intros and stuff are the fuckin best. Decent way to spend 90mins after work

28. Halloween II (2009)
And then comes the downside to completionism. Like at least this one was more trying to do its own thing instead of aping on something I love and hold so dearly, but fuck I hated this. The thing I hate most are moments where it looks like you almost have a great, functional storytelling choice, and then it immediately doubles back for extra excess and no effect, and it's like pick a fuckin lane dude! Why didn't they just put Zombie on the Texas Chainsaw reboot, like that's clearly the movies he's gunnin to make here

29. Halloween (2018)
This was like a 30/70 or 20/80 for me, but the 70-80% I enjoyed I though was fucking excellent. What a great palate cleanser from the Zombie years, sucks doing another full continuity wipe, but yeah, this was force-of-nature Michael Myers, probably second best of the franchise after the original overall honestly (excluding Season Of The Witch cause man I probably still love that movie more for different reasons)

30. Troll 2 (1990)
This was the last Friday night of our weekly group movie nights and it came to light that no one had seen Troll 2, so we did the double feature with Best Worst Movie. It's just so great to watch this with a first time audience and watch them react and try to make sense of what the fuck they're watching for an hour and a half. Great time.

31. Maximum Overdrive (1986)
Basically had been looking for this all month (thank you dropbox <333), outside of the few spots where it really fuckin drags, this very much lives up to the bonkers reputation it's gained over the years, and was a great crap movie to end the initial 31 with

Probably gonna get another4-7 in before the end of the month, currently looking at:

Phantom Of The Opera (1925)
Nosferatu The Vampyre/Shadow Of The Vampire (Double feature)
Pumpkinhead (while pumpkin carving Tuesday)
The Reflecting Skin
and probably wrap up on Wednesday with Witches, Dracula: Dead & Loving It, and whatever other kids movies might pop up

definitely the most ambitious October I've ever done, looking forward to diving into a couple light franchises and the Flanagan series in November, but man fuckin respect to all you 100 movie monthers, like yo I had a blast this month but jesus christ that is some gumption
smelts

Postby manvstrees » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:oh yeah i remember it being pretty gross and gory. i can handle soapy, my favorite thing is twin peaks :)

hmm, Deep Red seems to be the shorter cut (on amazon prime)

edit: looks like a lot of people say that's the one to go with anyways...

shit the answer was hellraiser, did you rewatch this yet
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 am

is the first 'wrong turn' worth it?
I come like a thousand doves
BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:40 am

It's definitely not great by any means. You could do worse though.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....