dvd / blu-ray thread (criterion, m.o.c., bfi)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby unpredictable landlord » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

some dude on twitter wrote:please, oh please Santa bring me the @Criterion pedro costa trilogy... santa or satan... i'll make a deal with either for those DVDs.

criterion's twitter feed wrote:You won't have to wait too much longer!
Last edited by unpredictable landlord on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
the violence could come from any direction
unpredictable landlord

Postby unpredictable landlord » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 pm

criterion.com wrote:we had hoped to celebrate the actual centenary, in March, with a Blu-ray edition of Seven Samurai, but weeks of additional restoration have turned into months—yes, it looks really amazing—and the release won’t be until later in 2010. Instead, on March 23, we’ll be releasing Kurosawa’s Yojimbo and Sanjuro. They look great, too.
unpredictable landlord

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Anxiously awaiting a decent review on that Boogie Nights bluray. The only stuff I've seen so far are forum posts lamenting the presence of grain.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby emotional fascism » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:05 am

I'll have Boogie Nights this afternoon... looking forward to screening it tonight.

Also, for those with region-free blu-ray capabilities, the French release of A Very Long Engagement is one of the best-looking/sounding discs in my collection.
emotional fascism

Postby unpredictable landlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:01 pm

some dude at high def digest wrote:Y'know a lot of people made fun of Best Buy opening up a 24/7 store in NYC. But, considering it's 7 minutes away on the subway and I just picked up this thing, I'm not complaining--

It was like $27 with tax. I cringed. But, I really wanted to see this thing in High Def. Alas. ALSO: There was only like 3 copies sitting on the shelf and that was at 12:30am.

Okay, so all of the special features from the double DVD are ported over. I still have the old DVD, so I could check.

Picture Quality vs the DVD is night and day. I popped in the old DVD and yeah...I would never watch the DVD again.

The opening swooping long shot got my 2am bleary eyes a little concerned. It seemed DNR enhanced or something, or jittery or something. But, that could just be my tired eyes. And if I'm not mistaken that shot is naturally a little jittery in some spots.

As for the rest of what I've seen. The picture quality is pretty damn good. To my eyes there must be some kind of DNR enhancement going on here. I have not seen the much-talked-about Pan's Labyrinth blu..so I'm not sure if this is THAT bad. But, whatever grain is here is really fine. I'm actually curious what everyone else thinks because I usually always read the reviews on this site before buying a title and this was the first time flying blind-

Regardless, I'm listening to the commentary track and loving it right now. I think it was worth the upgrade.

two issues of concern here: the DNR talk and the limited availability (this is the 2nd mention I've heard of stores only getting 4 copies).
unpredictable landlord

Postby Architecture » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:06 pm

well, warner/new line put out pretty mediocre transfers across the board. i mean, nothing so bad as the house of flying daggers BD, but they suffer from a ton of grain reduction and ridiculous contrast boosting. universal's consistantly putting out the best discs for sure.
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby emotional fascism » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:16 pm

I don't trust DNR talk because of the AVS Forum alarmist nonsense on seemingly every title that comes out.

I did read somewhere that PTA supervised the Boogie Nights HD transfer, so we'll see... I'll have time to watch it tonight after work.
emotional fascism

Postby emotional fascism » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 pm

unpredictable landlord wrote:
criterion.com wrote:we had hoped to celebrate the actual centenary, in March, with a Blu-ray edition of Seven Samurai, but weeks of additional restoration have turned into months—yes, it looks really amazing—and the release won’t be until later in 2010. Instead, on March 23, we’ll be releasing Kurosawa’s Yojimbo and Sanjuro. They look great, too.

Days of Heaven also coming to blu-ray on March 23, per the Criterion facebook page. Almost bought that during the B&N sale last month...
emotional fascism

Postby husbands » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 pm

i can't decide between the rossellini war trilogy and the costa set

also it looks like the new ones are up: http://www.criterion.com/library/dvd/criterion/soon/expanded/spine_number

Last edited by husbands on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby ruiner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:20 pm

i'm pissed that i missed that big B&N half-off sale the second time through. still fiendin' for that cassavetes box set.
FUCK

I LOVE ROCK MUSIC
ruiner

Postby husbands » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm

I almost bought a second copy of the Cassavetes set- $45 was just an insane deal

still need to pick up the Husbands DVD too, but I'm not sure about the quality
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby Bob511 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm

emotional fascism wrote:I don't trust DNR talk because of the AVS Forum alarmist nonsense on seemingly every title that comes out.

I mean, when there's any consensus there they're almost always right about it, though.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart
Bob511

Postby Fun With Teeth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Last edited by Fun With Teeth on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun With Teeth

Postby unpredictable landlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:05 pm

dillinger is dead on blu would've been awesome.

i guess i should just be glad that it's coming out. it was pretty damn great when i saw it at the new beverly a couple of months ago.
unpredictable landlord

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:27 pm

I think I made some comment about how hard it would be for them to top January...they topped January.

If Dillinger Is Dead was on BD this would be a perfect month.

Edit - I missed the part about Days of Heaven on BD as well, bumping to perfect month (although I really kind of hate the Bigger Than Life cover).
Phil

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Awesome month from Criterion. Better sell my DVD of DoH I guess. Both of them.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Extras on the Costa box are way beyond what I was expecting:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer of Ossos, supervised by director Pedro Costa; new digital transfers of In Vanda’s Room and Colossal Youth
* New video conversations between Costa and filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin about Ossos and Colossal Youth
* Audio commentary for In Vanda’s Room featuring Costa and Gorin
* Selected-scene audio commentary by critic Cyril Neyrat and author-philosopher Jacques Rancière for Colossal Youth
(!!!)
* Video interviews with critic João Bénard da Costa and cinematographer Emmanuel Machuel about Ossos
* Video essay by artist Jeff Wall on Ossos
* All Blossoms Again, a feature-length documentary on Costa and the making of Colossal Youth
* Tarrafal and The Rabbit Hunters, two short films by Costa
* Little Boy Male, Little Girl Female, a video installation piece by Costa featuring outtakes from In Vanda’s Room and Colossal Youth
* Photographs by Mariana Viegas and Richard Dumas
* Theatrical trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translations of all the films
* PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critics Cyril Neyrat, Luc Sante, Thom Anderson, and Mark Peranson, as well as a reprint by Bernard Eisenschitz
Phil

Postby fuckles » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:32 pm

im mostly just interested in criterion covers
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby aVoider » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:49 pm

fuckles wrote:im mostly just interested in criterion covers

they have prints of some of their covers for sale on the web site. some of them are fucking expensive, but i might have to bite the bullet and buy a few...
aVoider

Postby unpredictable landlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Phil wrote:Extras on the Costa box are way beyond what I was expecting:

for your sake, here's hoping MOC announce their specs (and whether their releases will be region-free blu) before this drops.
unpredictable landlord

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:21 pm

What else could MoC include though? 'Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie?' perhaps. And they could issue Ossos on bluray, maybe, since that one was 35mm.

Actually now that I think of it - Costa shot In Vanda's Room and Colossal Youth on DV - presumably 25fps. I wonder if that means the PAL MoC's will be more accurate than the 23.98 (29.97) NTSC Criterions.

:videonerd:
Buddy Glass

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:Actually now that I think of it - Costa shot In Vanda's Room and Colossal Youth on DV - presumably 25fps. I wonder if that means the PAL MoC's will be more accurate than the 23.98 (29.97) NTSC Criterions.

Wait, what does the (29.97) there relate to?

I really need to just start shooting stuff and quit being so lazy and learn all of this hands on.
Phil

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Phil wrote:
Buddy Glass wrote:Actually now that I think of it - Costa shot In Vanda's Room and Colossal Youth on DV - presumably 25fps. I wonder if that means the PAL MoC's will be more accurate than the 23.98 (29.97) NTSC Criterions.

Wait, what does the (29.97) there relate to?

I really need to just start shooting stuff and quit being so lazy and learn all of this hands on.

Technically NTSC is 29.97fps, so when 24fps films are released in that format, extra frames are added to pad out the length. This is what's known as 3:2 pulldown. It's actually a bit more complicated than that because NTSC is also interlaced, rather than progressive, so you really have 60 interlaced fields rather than 30 progressive frames. Progressive scan DVD players can look at a properly-authored DVD and remove these redundant frames which restores the original 24. Additional confusing technical issues dating back to the early 20th century require that we then represent the 24 frames as 23.976 (and 30 frames as 29.97, and 60i as 59.94).

In theory, all this goes away with BluRay, where a frame is a frame is a frame!

There's a better explanation of some of this stuff here if you're interested. The Wikipedia article on pulldown/telecine is good too.
Buddy Glass

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Ah, thanks.

And yeah, I've looked through a bunch of the tech-related wiki entries before, guess I need to go through them again and check out the link you put there.
Phil

Postby unpredictable landlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:31 pm

okay, so while i'd be the first to concede that i'm totally out of my depth on this stuff, and gladly defer to folks like bg who actually know what they're talking about, here's what i managed to dig up with a little googling:

some dude on colossal youth's imdb page wrote:I attended the LA screening of this at the REDCAT last year and at the Q&A the director said he shot it on a Panasonic DVX100B. Really amazing what he was able to do with it, because he originally was trained working with film cameras, he treated the DVX100B the same way.

another imdb guy wrote:it's true. he used the same camera for In Vanda's Room.

from what i could gather online, it seems that the dvx100b came out around 2006, so what the 2nd dude's saying can't be true since, according to imdb, in vanda's room was shot in 2000 (maybe costa used the earlier dvx100 for that one, although cnet didn't review it until december of 2002). according to this review of the dvx100 and this review of the dvx100b, both do 24p.

is it safe to assume that, even though both models offer other modes (the dvx100 offers "30fps progressive or 60fps interlaced" and the dvx100b does "30p and two types of 24p, in addition to standard 60i") that costa would've chosen to shoot 24p? if that's the case, would criterion's ntsc inherently look better than a pal release by moc?
unpredictable landlord

Postby Buddy Glass » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:47 pm

unpredictable landlord wrote:from what i could gather online, it seems that the dvx100b came out around 2006, so what the 2nd dude's saying can't be true since, according to imdb, in vanda's room was shot in 2000 (maybe costa used the earlier dvx100 for that one, although cnet didn't review it until december of 2002). according to this review of the dvx100 and this review of the dvx100b, both do 24p.

is it safe to assume that, even though both models offer other modes (the dvx100 offers "30fps progressive or 60fps interlaced" and the dvx100b does "30p and two types of 24p, in addition to standard 60i") that costa would've chosen to shoot 24p? if that's the case, would criterion's ntsc inherently look better than a pal release by moc?

The DVX timeline is the original 100 came out in 2002, so yeah there's no way he could've used it on In Vanda's Room. I do believe it was shot digitally though, so maybe a Sony VX2000 or PD150 or something? Or maybe something a little higher end, I don't know...

Costa definitely shot some form of progressive video, whether it was 24fps (NTSC) or 25fps (PAL) I'm not sure. But being that his primary target for distribution would have to have been European countries, my guess is he would've chosen 25, unless he just wanted to be a purist about 24 for film prints and such. Even some U.S. features that were shot on the DVX cameras used PAL models, just because the native resolution is higher and you need everything you can get when you're going out to film (720x576 vs 720x480).

All the DVX models do at least 24p or 25p, depending on whether it's an NTSC or PAL model. The 100A added a '16x9 stretch' mode (where the 16x9 portion of the native 4x3 image is digitally stretched and a 16x9 signal is recorded to tape). Then the 100B added 30p. (I only know all this stuff because I've been a DVX100A owner since 2005)
Buddy Glass

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember Costa specifically mentioning a Sony camera when he was talking about shooting In Vanda's Room; he started on it in, I believe, either late '98 or early '99, so I guess that could maybe help to figure out what kind of camera he was shooting with?
Phil

Postby unpredictable landlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:50 pm

just returned from hitting up best buy during my lunch. other than the one that i bought, they had 2 other copies of boogie nights. i'm gonna leave it wrapped until some proper reviews come in. i figure that, if it's a bitch to get, at least i have it; if word on the street is that it looks gangs of new york-bad i can take it back.
unpredictable landlord

Postby emotional fascism » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I just finished watching Boogie Nights and I thought it looked very good for the most part. Some grain, for sure, but it's natural. Did not notice any heavy DNR, but I also don't pause the movie and go up to my screen with a magnifying glass looking for digital noise (though I am watching on a 100" front projector). In motion, I saw nothing that did not look natural. No edge enhancement either. Color is nice. Some soft shots in close-ups, but I think that's just the quality of stock.

All extras from the 2-disc DVD set are carried over as well.
emotional fascism

Postby unpredictable landlord » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:27 am

bfi's supposed to be releasing ozu's tokyo story on blu-ray april 19th. almost certainly this'll be region locked.

link
unpredictable landlord

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....