Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby warmhouse » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:It's also crazy how dark California in the 70s was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Re ... %80%931975)
warmhouse

Postby chairkicker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 pm

those are my severed hands and i'd like them back
chairkicker

Postby abs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 am

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:I just finished the book.

She was a great writer. The end of the book, the part that wasn't written by her, was a let down because it lacked her voice.

The scariest part of the whole book was all the times she mentioned how this was the kind of case that made detectives die young, destroyed families, and broke up marriages, and her many mentions of losing herself in the case. It reminded me of a college professor who got pissed off at our shitty essays on Keats' poetry and went on a rant to the tune of: just because Keats' died young does not mean all his poems were about dying young. He wasn't a fucking fortune teller. But, regardless, all her references to the destructive nature of her obsession were eerie. And they freaked me out even moreso because I have obsessive tendencies too.

RIP Michelle.

RIP, indeed. I also read today.

I respect how they chose to end the book, and I'm glad that they didn't attempt to recreate her -- because you're right, her voice was so strong. Yeah, the subtle tone of foreboding was really intense. So sad.

Highly recommend.

Ready to stop thinking there's a rapist watching me from outside the windows, though.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Peter Criss » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:It's also crazy how dark California in the 70s was. In this case, the Zodiac case, and the in case of the Doodler, you had multiple serial killers working in the same area at once.

edit: and Kraft, Kearney, and Bonin!

Hillside Stranglers too, pretty nuts

I'm sure the list goes on
Peter Criss

Postby mcphee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 am

Catullus wrote:Oh I see what happened is one was trying to make a sandwich

!!!!
THIS IS TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE.
mcphee

Postby Dinosauria We » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:31 pm

abs wrote:
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:I just finished the book.

She was a great writer. The end of the book, the part that wasn't written by her, was a let down because it lacked her voice.

The scariest part of the whole book was all the times she mentioned how this was the kind of case that made detectives die young, destroyed families, and broke up marriages, and her many mentions of losing herself in the case. It reminded me of a college professor who got pissed off at our shitty essays on Keats' poetry and went on a rant to the tune of: just because Keats' died young does not mean all his poems were about dying young. He wasn't a fucking fortune teller. But, regardless, all her references to the destructive nature of her obsession were eerie. And they freaked me out even moreso because I have obsessive tendencies too.

RIP Michelle.

RIP, indeed. I also read today.

I respect how they chose to end the book, and I'm glad that they didn't attempt to recreate her -- because you're right, her voice was so strong. Yeah, the subtle tone of foreboding was really intense. So sad.

Highly recommend.

Ready to stop thinking there's a rapist watching me from outside the windows, though.

Also loving this and nearly done with it. It just so completely blows my mind that this person that was able to get away with all of it. Especially considering how bold he seemed to be with regards to volume, area, and tactics (The personal items he stole from the houses that were found in odd place on other properties especially creeped me way out. The way she described a small trinket rolling out of his pocket while he was crawling around on somebody's roof!).

I'm aware that there is research supporting there being a number of serial killers in the general population at any given time, but I don't know that somebody could do something of this magnitude in current times. Just given all the ways we are always leaving clues in the world without even knowing it and advancements in relevant scientific fronts, I would think a successful serial killer of the modern world would have to possess a higher level of sophistication than was required in the 70s. The detectives seemed to approach evidence with pure confusion and total lack of insight at most of the scenes. I might be way off base on that but that's the only way I can make sense of EAR/ONS.
Dinosauria We

Postby gold and glass » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Ted Pikul will you please make your own podcast
I think that that would be the best podcast
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Sure
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby strange potion » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Not sure how much attention this case had in north america, but it's continuing to receive large amounts of government funding eleven years after the disappearance with seemingly unsubstantial leads and wavering public support

From this evening: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/madeleine-mccann-hunt-to-continue-as-met-police-is-handed-more-cash-a3799606.html

The case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Madeleine_McCann
strange potion

Postby Annie May » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:00 pm

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/us/family-killed-california.html
Just read this article. Remember this photo that came out of the ferguson protests? Well most of this kid's family was just found dead in an SUV at the bottom of a cliff. The kid, devonte hart and two of his siblings are still missing. The adoptive parents were a white lesbian couple with allegations of abuse. Just a really chilling, bizarre story.
Annie May

Postby tonybricker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:04 am

manierisme wrote:apparently there's gonna be a lot of east area rapist/original night stalker media attention in the next couple of months

michelle mcnamara (patton oswalt's deceased former wife)'s book, tv series on multiple cable channels (i.d. and cnn/hln), and apparently law enforcement is going to put out information about some new leads (they already put this out recently: http://fox40.com/2018/02/02/sheriffs-department-reveals-new-leads-in-east-area-rapist-case/ )

the Casefile podcast did a great six-episode series on the East Area Rapist
http://casefilepodcast.com/case-53-east-area-rapist-1976-part-1/

I listen to a ton of Casefile and Sword and Scale and know a lot about true crime in general and I think he is the scariest guy of them all. So fucking fearless and weird
tonybricker

Postby Esteban » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am

Annie May wrote:https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/us/family-killed-california.html
Just read this article. Remember this photo that came out of the ferguson protests? Well most of this kid's family was just found dead in an SUV at the bottom of a cliff. The kid, devonte hart and two of his siblings are still missing. The adoptive parents were a white lesbian couple with allegations of abuse. Just a really chilling, bizarre story.

This story was real fucked before anyone died. CPS & the adoption system failed those 6 black children smh
Esteban

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 am

Norm, you should read Under the Banner of Heaven, it seems up your alley
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 am

i like under the banner of heaven, thought last we talked about it user hopped had a really cogent critique of it.
I've hit rock bottom!
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 am

I've hit rock bottom!
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 am

I recently went down the Israel Keyes rabbit hole. It's like trying to understand an alien life form. Nothing about him makes sense.
Shotfrog

Postby warmhouse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 am

finished I'll Be Gone In The Dark. blew through it in about 3 days. Bit of a let-down! It's a cold case and the author died halfway through it, sure, but it's a really underwhelming piece of work.

(psst. maybe it should have stayed unreleased)
warmhouse

Postby the scofflaw » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:34 am

rude
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.
the scofflaw

Postby Ted Pikul » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm

This isn't unsolved, but it WAS unsolved at one point and it sure is weird: the Collyer Brothers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

Homer Lusk Collyer (November 6, 1881 – March 21, 1947) and Langley Wakeman Collyer (October 3, 1885 – c. March 9, 1947), known as the Collyer brothers,[2] were two American brothers who became infamous for their bizarre natures and compulsive hoarding. For decades, the two lived in seclusion in their Harlem brownstone at 2078 Fifth Avenue (at the corner of 128th Street) where they obsessively collected books, furniture, musical instruments, and myriad other items, with booby traps set up in corridors and doorways to ensnare intruders. In March 1947, both were found dead in their home surrounded by over 140 tons of collected items that they had amassed over several decades.[3]

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby wintergreen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 pm

i read the entire madeleine mccann wiki and i still don’t know what happened to her.

i still haven’t solved the laco waco murders either.
wintergreen

Postby wintergreen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:
wintergreen wrote:i read the entire madeleine mccann wiki and i still don’t know what happened to her.

Are you talking about the lake murders?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-murders-at-the-lake/

yeah, that’s lake waco. i’ve been meaning to solve those murders, but no luck yet.
wintergreen

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:00 am

http://tsjuzek.com/blog/z340.html

To this day, the Zodiac Killer's second major cipher, z340, remains unsolved. In this post, I argue that z340 is most likely a fake cipher. This hypothesis has been put forward before, but without hard evidence. Such evidence is provided here, mainly through the analysis of mean squared distances for ngrams. This analysis is applied across various ciphers: z340, z408, which is the other major cipher by the Zodiac Killer, twenty generated ciphers based on real texts, and twenty fake ciphers based on random letter sequences. The results show that z340 behaves unlike other true ciphers. Instead, it associates with the fake ciphers.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:01 am

#zodiachoax

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby marble » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 am

whenever zodiac comes up in everyday conversation i start rambling like a madman about the #zodiachoax and people look at me like i'm insane. read between the lines people! #fuckgraysmith
marble

Postby warmhouse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:44 am

could you expand on that?
warmhouse

Postby marble » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:25 am

ted could expand on it more i'm sure (and i think he may have at some point?), but the gist is basically that the zodiac doesn't exist, it's just a series of unconnected murders that graysmith cobbled together to sell newspapers/the eventual book http://zodiachoax.blogspot.com
marble

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:43 am

I wrote it up here:
viewtopic.php?p=5696307#p5696307

I mixed up the details of Lake Berryessa and Blue Rock Springs but the gist is the same

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby warmhouse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 am

oh shit. im gonna deep dive this. it always felt a little weak connectivity-wise anyway!
warmhouse

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:59 am

The Generation Why podcast did like 3 episodes on it

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby RIXX » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:59 am

wintergreen wrote:
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:
wintergreen wrote:i read the entire madeleine mccann wiki and i still don’t know what happened to her.

Are you talking about the lake murders?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-murders-at-the-lake/

yeah, that’s lake waco. i’ve been meaning to solve those murders, but no luck yet.

this article was so good, thanks

ur feelings really get whipped around on truman simons
RIXX

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....