You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby rushedbehind » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm

i liked that ep. good kinks chat
rushedbehind

Postby supersaturated » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 am

I liked the crock pot social media manager that fed his sick 2 year old daughter slices of salami & provolone (and said she looked like season two Johnny Sack). Tom saying her vocabulary includes the phrases "slice it thin" and "why are you being so tight with the gabagool". Good call.
Last edited by supersaturated on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersaturated

Postby G_S » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:54 am

I enjoyed this episode as well, although it's a tad disorienting when there's no Wurster
G_S

Postby rushedbehind » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:16 pm

i know this opinion can be hard to take for some people but as a relatively new best show listener (around two years i think) i don't find the wurster bits funny and mostly skip past them sorry i had to get that off my chest
rushedbehind

Postby Poptone » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm

The Wurster calls, on average, have not been up to par for a while. Don't get me wrong, I do miss them when he's absent but yeah there are many parts of the show I enjoy more than them now.
Poptone
cat fan

Postby supersaturated » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 am

rushedbehind wrote:i know this opinion can be hard to take for some people but as a relatively new best show listener (around two years i think) i don't find the wurster bits funny and mostly skip past them sorry i had to get that off my chest

Are you acquainted with Wurster's twitter and instagram feeds? Acclimating yourself to his (hilarious imo) sense of humor may help you appreciate the calls.

I wonder what percentage of best show podcast listeners fast forward Wurster calls. 10%?
supersaturated

Postby jewels » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 am

Wurster calls can be a slog, but they can also be the best part of the show, sometimes on the same call. There is so much self reference going back nearly 20 years, it can take some time to penetrate.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby goofjan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 am

I have to admit that sometimes I fast forward. I love Wurster and think he's criminally underrated as a comedic force. But the calls often feel like a separate entity from the rest of the show, which I guess is the point? Anyway most of the time what I really want is Tom interacting with real people. However, my friends did get me the box set for my birthday and it's a joy to go through those calls on their own.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby alex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:11 am

wurster calling in or not, the show has been in a rut for a couple years now tbh
alex

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am

the wurster calls have a pretty low hit ratio imo, and often drag on much longer than need be. Sometimes you'll get a 30-45 minute call with maybe a handful of good laughs in there. I love the show, but yeah I've been listening for over 10 years and the wurster calls have always been very hit-or-miss. Lately it seems like Wurster's calls are more just an excuse to call up and talk about whatever is on his mind, whether than a specific bit or character work. And he breaks much more often than he used to.

However, when they're good they're great, and I think the best work that wurster's ever done on the show was during the fake newbridge mayubanatorial election. In particular, the debate that they did (8-9-08) was a perfect combo of comedy, writing, voice work, and production. It's so insane the amount of work they put into that, knowing they'd get paid zero for it, and with little recognition.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Wurster just called up as himself and they just shoot the shit on various topics. The character work lately seems like it's just a thinly veiled facade to get at topics they want to talk about as themselves anyway, and that's funny enough for me. Wurster doesn't need to play Darren or Philly Boy Roy just to discuss a news blurb or commercial. I think it's coming to the point where they can distinguish between character calls where they have developed bits, and non-character calls, where it's just Jon being himself.
inanimate object...alive!

Postby inanimate object...alive! » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:45 am

fwiw, here's my ranking of my favorite elements of the show:

1. Tom on mic alone complaining about something (in a light hearted way, not a "my life is awful" way)
2. Tom on mic alone riffing about the various things that he saw/happened that week
3. Tom with a top-tier in-studio guest
4. Top-tier wurster call/character
5. Anything involving Mike
6. Tom doing a good back-and-forth with a solid caller
7. Sound collage
8. Gary the squirrel interacting with guests
9. The average wurster call
10. Tom discussing the fake (real?) behind the scene show drama and pulling in dudio/pat to comment on it
11. The average in-studio guest
12. Tom being genuinely depressed about his life
13. A bad wurster call
14. A show filled with bad calls
15. A bad in-studio guest
inanimate object...alive!

Postby supersaturated » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 am

inanimate object...alive! wrote:fwiw, here's my ranking of my favorite elements of the show:

1. Tom on mic alone complaining about something (in a light hearted way, not a "my life is awful" way)
2. Tom on mic alone riffing about the various things that he saw/happened that week
3. Tom with a top-tier in-studio guest
4. Top-tier wurster call/character
5. Anything involving Mike
6. Tom doing a good back-and-forth with a solid caller
7. Sound collage
8. Gary the squirrel interacting with guests
9. The average wurster call
10. Tom discussing the fake (real?) behind the scene show drama and pulling in dudio/pat to comment on it
11. The average in-studio guest
12. Tom being genuinely depressed about his life
13. A bad wurster call
14. A show filled with bad calls
15. A bad in-studio guest

wow, amazing post

#1 for me is Tom imitating musical instruments, or playing jazz or whatever, with his voice

The menacing/bullying vibe when Gary the Squirrel shows up is pretty dark
supersaturated

Postby Guffaw » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

every wurster call is better than gary
Guffaw

Postby table for one » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

[quote="inanimate object...alive!"]fwiw, here's my ranking of my favorite elements of the show:

that time someone stole his candy bowl on halloween while he was really into john wick, with the charleston chew digression
table for one

Postby Webb Bored » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Fullscreen wrote:"It's E. Honda, he's gone missing."

Ryu sighed, "Here we go again."

The things that went on in that bathhouse were always a little suspect - nothing immoral, just a lot of fighting. The last time Ryu and E. Honda had duked it out, he'd noticed a clump of blond and matted hair bloodied and caked to the wall. Clearly, a clump of Ken's hair stayed behind after the two had done battle, ages ago.

Thank you for doing this.
Mofuckn Chapstick wrote:gay baby is probably right
Webb Bored

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 pm

There's been a recent repeat caller who is basically a low point of callers in the history of the show.
He's doing some sort of bit where he's super defensive, he's really not funny, sounds childish.
I really truly hate those calls.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby goofjan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:55 pm

favorite recent-ish callers in no particular order:

Bebe from Vegas
John from Maplewood
Michelle the Oreo-Head
Liam (and Bobby Joe)
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby spix et chicho » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Bebe was drunk on Tuesday's show
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby spix et chicho » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:07 pm

anyways I feel like the thread does this same convo every couple months, but imo the strength of the Best Show is that they go in every week and do it and it's an 18 year long and running experiment. it's inconsistent but Tom hits his little strides at a pretty decent rate. January's shows were pretty much all great.
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby fuckles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 pm

yeah OH SHUT UP has been a welcome addition
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:19 pm

spix et chicho wrote:anyways I feel like the thread does this same convo every couple months, but imo the strength of the Best Show is that they go in every week and do it and it's an 18 year long and running experiment. it's inconsistent but Tom hits his little strides at a pretty decent rate. January's shows were pretty much all great.

Yup.

Also a big lol this week when Tom asked if the Toto "best of" had a blank side.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby jewels » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:06 pm

spix et chicho wrote:anyways I feel like the thread does this same convo every couple months, but imo the strength of the Best Show is that they go in every week and do it and it's an 18 year long and running experiment. it's inconsistent but Tom hits his little strides at a pretty decent rate. January's shows were pretty much all great.

agreed, the ups and downs are part of the deal. You need the struggle to get to the good stuff.

3 hours of improvisation
legions of fans pouring over shows and minutia, trading stories and clips

kinda sounds like the Grateful Dead!
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby brent » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 pm

goofjan wrote:favorite recent-ish callers in no particular order:

Bebe from Vegas
John from Maplewood
Michelle the Oreo-Head
Liam (and Bobby Joe)

the e-cigs for legs prank guy is awesome
brent

Postby manierisme » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 pm

I still love the show and at no point in the last 18 years has it come anywhere close to jumping the shark or anything

that said, the average wurster call from like 2000-2006 is way way funnier than the average one today, imo. I still usually laugh out loud really hard once or twice every time though

also, the mingling of different styles of humor when andrew earles, jon benjamin, jon glaser, etc. were all regulars was something special
manierisme

Postby jewels » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 pm

I kinda love the friends podcast because I’m not sure what he’s doing.
jewels

Postby conductor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm mildly amused by the "cover amnesia" or whatever it's called bit, but I get a lot of pleasure out of just hearing how much they're enjoying themselves with it. That's basically how I feel about even below average Wurster calls.
conductor

Postby Guffaw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:54 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:There's been a recent repeat caller who is basically a low point of callers in the history of the show.
He's doing some sort of bit where he's super defensive, he's really not funny, sounds childish.
I really truly hate those calls.

this guy is truly awful, but it's fun to hear tom get genuinely angry at him
Guffaw

Postby Brain Stew » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 am

Cassius?
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...
Brain Stew

Postby table for one » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:50 am

i think its the kazoo dude...cassius is the cab driver he calls in to dave hill and pats show on fmu and seems alright
table for one

Postby the_village » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:

Yup.

Also a big lol this week when Tom asked if the Toto "best of" had a blank side.

"does Africa show up twice"

So good
the_village

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....