Cocktail recipe thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:02 pm

churrokbyme wrote:How do you make hi ling mui syrup?

li hing mui syrup was made by adding li hing mui (salted plum) powder to water, no additional sugar as there is already sugar in there. we initially went 1:1 by volume but the powder absorbed too much liquid so we diluted it further to a ratio around 1.5 parts water to 1 part powder. filtered w/ a coffee filter to remove sediment.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

jca wrote:good stuff. how long do you let the tincture sit before using

the szechuan and five spice tinctures are pretty much ready to use right away! i used an immersion blender to crush the peppercorns and then strained the sediment out.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 pm

wario lopez wrote: garnish w/ crushed szechuan and sansho peppercorns over the egg foam. i used a mortar and pestle for this.

looks like this from the top

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby jca » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:49 pm

there should be more drinks with Szechuan peppercorns. i wonder if you can just sub where it calls for black

jca

Postby drudge » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:55 pm

looking forward to whatever you make with the sansho pepper pb
think i'd rather have it as a syrup than a tincture. maybe a dehli cooler riff

drudge

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 pm

churrokbyme and I went to the suffolk arms the other day and had a few cocktails. I am not very knowledgeable about cocktails, but the bar is run by giuseppe gonzalez who used to tend at the clover club, dutch kills, among others. I really loved two cocktails he made that he created: the trinidad sour (which has been mentioned before upthread) + the duke of suffolk. the key to the trinidad sour is that they make the orgeat (almond syrup) in house. he gave us shots of it to try, and it was perfect... not too sweet, lots of almond flavor, nice and fruity from the rose + orange

The Trinidad Sour
3 ounces Angostura bitters
2 ounces orgeat
1 1/2 ounces fresh lemon juice
1 ounce rye whiskey
1 large egg white (optional)

If you're not using an egg white: Fill a cocktail shaker with the ice, then add the bitters, orgeat, lemon juice and rye whiskey. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds, then divide evenly between two cocktail coupes.

If you're using an egg white, combine the bitters, orgeat, lemon juice, rye whiskey and egg in a cocktail shaker; seal and perform a vigorous “dry shake” for 30 seconds, then add the ice. Shake again for 30 seconds, then divide evenly between two cocktail coupes.

Orgeat
6 ounces blanched whole almonds, coarsely chopped
2 ounces almond meal/flour
40 ounces (2 1/2 pounds) sugar
8 cups water
5 drops rose flower water
8 drops orange flower water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Combine the almonds, almond meal/flour, 8 ounces of the sugar and the water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Cover and let sit overnight. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined, fine-mesh strainer into a separate large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 32 ounces of sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat; let cool to room temperature, then add the rose flower water, orange flower water and almond extract. Use a funnel to transfer the syrup to a bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.

The Duke of Suffolk
Combine 1 1/2 ounces Hendrick’s or Ford’s Gin and 3/4 ounce simple syrup. Top with hot black tea (English Breakfast or Earl Grey); float heavy cream.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Fr. Blanc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 pm

anything come to mind for you guys re: Sorel? it's pretty rare bc Hurricane Sandy killed the business but my wife got me a bottle and I haven't figured out how to use it with confidence. i added it to a something of a tom collins and it was nice--i called it a jah collins--but there's gotta be more opportunity for it. most likely in the tiki realm. it's basically a spiced hibiscus liqueur.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Banana Banjo - (jen akin, rumba seattle)

2 oz. cachaca
.5 oz spiced banana syrup
4 dashes angostura

Build like an old fashioned. Only had peychauds, hence the pink. But cachaca/banana is an absolutely genius combination. This keeps the bite of an old fashioned but has all of those flavors subtly coming around the back.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 am

Oh wario just saw your cachaca/banana joint above. This thread is a phenomenal resource and I’m worried everybody has stopped making cocktails.

Fr. Blanc

Postby sevenarts » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm pretty basic with cocktails - I like a good Manhattan or Old Fashioned but mainly I drink whiskey neat or on the rocks and that's it. What's a good book if I want to start branching out a little more and experiment with some things?

sevenarts

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:08 pm

This year I’ve been making my way through Robert Simonson’s Three Ingredient Cocktails. It’s basically a tour through the classics, along the lines of what you mentioned. And obviously it’s a lot less daunting to stock a bar for simpler drinks.

Fr. Blanc

Postby hoopdog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology is pretty good for beginners- there's some history of bars/cocktail culture in there but also a really useful chart that breaks down cocktail families and how to make different drinks from basic ingredients (a daquiri is just a gimlet with rum instead of gin, a boulevardier is just a negroni with whiskey instead of gin, etc)

hoopdog
ride.

Postby hoopdog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:18 pm

David Embury's Art of Mixing Drinks is great too- it was written by a cranky ass lawyer in the 50s who is very much writing from the perspective of someone who loves cocktails but does not make them professionally- he talks about things in a more subtle way (why fresh juice is important, why certain glassware is important, etc). It's a really great read too bc the guy is such an engaging writer. It's sort of hard to find for cheap tho, it may be out of print?

hoopdog
ride.

Postby Fullscreen » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:22 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:
Orgeat
6 ounces blanched whole almonds, coarsely chopped
2 ounces almond meal/flour
40 ounces (2 1/2 pounds) sugar
8 cups water
5 drops rose flower water
8 drops orange flower water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Combine the almonds, almond meal/flour, 8 ounces of the sugar and the water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Cover and let sit overnight. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined, fine-mesh strainer into a separate large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 32 ounces of sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat; let cool to room temperature, then add the rose flower water, orange flower water and almond extract. Use a funnel to transfer the syrup to a bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.

debating which orgeat recipe I should make next. I'm sitting on four or five different formulas including this one and they're all pretty different, aside from having blanched almonds and sugar in common.

I'm inclined to make either smuggler's cove or death & co's, though the latter calls for amaretto which I've otherwise never had a use for.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:37 pm

The time I made orgeat involved wringing it out in a tea towel, so I recommend looking toward recipes that don’t require that
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby sevenarts » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 am

Franco wrote:This year I’ve been making my way through Robert Simonson’s Three Ingredient Cocktails. It’s basically a tour through the classics, along the lines of what you mentioned. And obviously it’s a lot less daunting to stock a bar for simpler drinks.

Thanks, I found an ebook of this and it's perfect for me, it seems to cover all the basics in a really clear way. Was browsing through recipes last night and excited to try some stuff out. Joy of Mixology looks great too, I'm going to check that out next.

Along the same beginner lines, can anyone recommend a good basic bar set - shaker, jigger, etc.?

sevenarts

Postby Dear You » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm

god, that cachaca and banana situation looks so good
they/them

Dear You

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:55 pm

sevenarts wrote:Along the same beginner lines, can anyone recommend a good basic bar set - shaker, jigger, etc.?

i'd recommend buying them separately. the kind of things that come in sets are often bad. i'm a big fan of cocktail kingdom stuff.

i use these koriko shakers, they have really good seal and weight balance:
https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/all-barware/shakers/set-of-two-korikor-weighted-shaking-tins

this spoon, really good weight balance, easy to get that push/pull stirring motion:
https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/all-barware/barspoons/teardrop-barspoon-10458

this strainer. it has a super tight coil that you can avoid double straining most of the time:
https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/shop-by-collection/koriko/korikor-hawthorne-strainer

this japanese-style jigger:
https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/all-barware/jiggers/japanese-style-jigger-1oz-2oz-stainless-steel

i also keep this jigger around for 1/4 oz measurements:
https://www.oxo.com/products/beverage/barware/steel-double-jigger

i do not use a yarai due to the thermal properties of glass. i stir my drinks in my large shaker tin because i like to be able to feel the temperature of the drink as i stir it, which thick glass does not allow you to do well. also because of it's mass some of the cooling of the ice will be lost to your yarai unless you pre-chill it and who has time for that?

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:00 pm

with regards to books on how to make drinks, morgenthaler's bar book is a good place to start if you're looking for technique on how to properly make cocktails (though i've heard some nightmarish stories about him as a person from portland service industry folks). i think the book was uploaded to the dropbox at one point.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby Fr. Blanc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Swimming in this spiced banana syrup so I threw it in a mai tai, half and half with orgeat. Some tiki bitters thrown in too bc it’s friday. Unpictured due to its absence- green crisp bunch of mint garnish

Fr. Blanc

Postby milano boy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

can anyone recommend some good simple-ish cocktails? i have a date coming over tonight and we're planning on making some things together. i don't mid having to buy bottles of stuff as long as they're easy-ish to find and im fine with any ingredients that need to be prepped as long as it's quick.

right now i'm thinking boulevardier:
1 ½ ounces bourbon, preferably Maker’s Mark
¾ ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Dolin Rouge
¾ ounce Campari
Twist of orange peel, for garnish

and vieux carre:
1 ounce rye whiskey
1 ounce cognac
1 ounce sweet vermouth
¼ ounce Bénédictine
Dash of Angostura bitters
Dash of Peychaud’s bitters

maybe a tequila or mezcal something? also, not completely sold on the boulevardier and/or vieux carre, i just know i like them and she probably will too. suggest away please!!!!

milano boy

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am

since you have 2 stirred drinks already, the crafty and elusive elk can fill your agave/shaken needs:
https://kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/the-crafty-and-elusive-elk

the split base cuts the smokiness of the mezcal leading to just a hint of it. it's a really well-balanced drink.

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby Cartman Sandiego » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am

alternatively, just get a good white rum and make daiquiris

Cartman Sandiego
ok

Postby chandler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am

i don't know the details but i had this last night and oh lord was it dangerously good

— CHEAP SUIT —
gin, lemon-coriander shrub, cocchi americano

apparently it's based on a tuxedo (don don)
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?

chandler

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

what do you already have on hand?

if you're going to make a drink with campari and were going to go out and grab a bottle, I think you should sub cappelletti americano rosso which is made with a wine as opposed to a spirit base, and is much tastier (as well as cheaper!)

oh, and make sure to refrigerate any vermouth/aperitivi once they are opened!

landspeedrecord

Postby milano boy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

i have like nothing on hand!

milano boy

Postby milano boy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:02 pm

if i can find this i will def do it :)

milano boy

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm

I would grab a bottle of gin, rittenhouse rye, cappelletti (or campari), sweet & dry vermouth (dolin is a solid choice)

then you could make spritzes, negronis, martinis, manhattans, boulevardiers...

landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

and if you pick up a bottle of cocchi americano or suze you could combine that with gin + dolin blanc to make a white negroni

1 1/2 ounce gin (recommended: a London dry like Beefeater)
1 ounce Dolin Blanc vermouth
1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano (sub Suze if desired)
lemon twist, for garnish

landspeedrecord

Postby Fr. Blanc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:10 pm

I vote Jungle Bird. You have two great ideas already and this would be a lighter third option. And yeah I’d like to try one with cappelletti instead of Campari.

https://punchdrink.com/recipes/jungle-bird/

Or A simple Paloma if you’re set on mezcal. Nice sippable Collins format before all those stirreds

Fr. Blanc

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley