Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby genghis sean » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 pm

a pressure valve for keeping my shit out of your election threads. plan on using this thread for videos, lectures, panels, academic articles and the like. zizek, badiou, harvey, graeber, rancière, richard d. wolff, negri, chomsky, hardt, jodi dean, new left review, new left project, new inquiry, jacobin, platypus, left business observer etc. and the odd smart but less ostensibly radical figures like stiglitz, krugman and so on. gladly welcome your contributions and/or liberal apologism

the new issue of Jacobin went online today and it looks superb and reads even better: http://jacobinmag.com/issue/emancipation/
literally every article they've put up is great, well-worth reading
this essay written by a former west point professor who taught literature has to be one of the best essays you could hope to read all year: http://jacobinmag.com/2012/08/sarah-lawrence-with-guns/

pretty interesting/entertaining panel with graeber & harvey
genghis sean

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 am

Looking forward to getting my first print copy of Jacobin soon
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby otis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 am

harvey writes like a machine, i don't know how he does it. maybe the best thing about being a geography grad student is the excuse to read all of it. i'm in the middle of enigma of capital right now and it's as good as anything else of his i've encountered.
otis

Postby genghis sean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 am

the whole online/low-run print rigorous and sourced like a journal but approachable like a magazine, designed and written so well it becomes a fetish object that you want to keep on coffee tables and in your book collection forever like what Jacobin and The New Inquiry (and a ton of arts pubs are doing as well) is a really smart and exciting new way to package information. its a bit like applying the business model of Wire and The Believer to politics and culture.
Last edited by genghis sean on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
genghis sean

Postby gold and glass » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 am

fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby MikeS » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:12 am

I use to watch a lot of shit by Richard Wolf but then i just got super depressed.
MikeS

Postby genghis sean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 am

came close but decided against titling this depressed thread mk. ii

better to know than not to know anyways

on that note how about a deeply pessimistic new Zizek lecture

genghis sean

Postby fakename » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:37 am

oh word, i was looking at jacobin yesterday wondering when they were gonna drop new shit.
i couldn't remember the name, and I eventually found it using some query like 'elitist essay about chairs.'
fakename

Postby genghis sean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 am

that chair essay was p. great
genghis sean

Postby Destroyevsky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am

oh hey I know Anthony. Very charming hipster guy, very smart, bleeds Left.
Destroyevsky

Postby fox » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 am

pinkos
fox
Prime Galoob

Postby genghis sean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:11 am

Destroyevsky wrote:oh hey I know Anthony. Very charming hipster guy, very smart, bleeds Left.

its uniformly one of the strongest non-academic pieces of non-fiction writing I've read in years. its the sort of essay that should win awards. give him a big slap on the back the next time you see him.
genghis sean

Postby loaf angel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 am

i want to be more liberal because I fucking hate everyone
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby naturemorte » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:17 am

Looking at this thread, thinking, "I want to be involved in this thread but I don't know how/what to contribute"

Then again, i say that about most political things.
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby Johan POOPLER » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:20 am

i talked to some gaggle of dusty ass anarchists with yolandi haircuts and rat tails at this guys bday party last month and they were calling me a statist because i think safety nets are fuckin tight

how is noam chomsky so pimp and then every other anarchist in the whole universe is a trainhopping dicktard Burner who thinks that money should be replaced with dying of tetanus from a stick and poke
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby Johan POOPLER » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 am

i can't even say this shit on facebook because occupy dragged those creeps out from whatever flop house they were squatting and convinced them that social networking is a necessary evil
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage
Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby genghis sean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:51 am

Johan POOPLER wrote:how is noam chomsky so pimp and then every other anarchist in the whole universe is a trainhopping dicktard Burner who thinks that money should be replaced with dying of tetanus from a stick and poke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_anarchism

there is no shortage of crusty retrograde, naive, utopian, idealistic anarchists who don't demonstrate any real concern for what it is exactly they stand for and believe authentic experience comes from asceticism and shallow lifestyle signifiers. they are basically people who are too dumb to realize they themselves are a reactionary force, or playing a role that entrenched power is all too welcome to have them play. i certainly don't identify as an anarchist but there is still a big leap between these people and the likes of graeber, bookchin, chomsky etc.

I don't think this thread is about people throwing bricks at police cars. there is some tremendous, deeply edifying material floating just under the nose of a lot of the familiar conduits of information. its weird to think but a reality that what is in a sense quite obscure, esoteric music or film has more reach than a lot of very well respected politics/economics/cultural criticism.
genghis sean

Postby jewels » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 am

Philadelphia loves it's linguists!
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby SALEM » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 am

i keep forgetting my friend is now an anarchist and i told him yesterday how i bought a bike for £30 and then sold it for £100 and he just looked at me and asked, "why?"

he squats, doesn't work, dumpster dives & shoplifts. every time i talk about anything consumer based in front of him i feel like i am being caught out like a homo at bible camp.
SALEM

Postby Destroyevsky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:00 am

genghis sean wrote:
Johan POOPLER wrote:how is noam chomsky so pimp and then every other anarchist in the whole universe is a trainhopping dicktard Burner who thinks that money should be replaced with dying of tetanus from a stick and poke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_anarchism

there is no shortage of crusty retrograde, naive, utopian, idealistic anarchists who don't demonstrate any real concern for what it is exactly they stand for and believe authentic experience comes from asceticism and shallow lifestyle signifiers. they are basically people who are too dumb to realize they themselves are a reactionary force, or playing a role that entrenched power is all too welcome to have them play. i certainly don't identify as an anarchist but there is still a big leap between these people and the likes of graeber, bookchin, chomsky etc.

I don't think this thread is about people throwing bricks at police cars. there is some tremendous, deeply edifying material floating just under the nose of a lot of the familiar conduits of information. its weird to think but a reality that what is in a sense quite obscure, esoteric music or film has more reach than a lot of very well respected politics/economics/cultural criticism.

I've always wanted to do an ethnography of these kinds of folks, since the pomo appeal is irresistible--an ethnography of kids mimicking some faux-ethnographic idea of savagery, etc. It's easy to be patronizing of kids dressing up, but writing them off as all dumb seems to me to be the least interesting thing you could say. I think of them as the Id of folks like graeber and chomsky. Retrograde and childish, but a real part of the anarchist culture that more respectable types can't always repress.
Destroyevsky

Postby Grand Epic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 am

A friend of mine identifies as an anarchist and is one of the two or three smartest people I know. She's more of an intellectual anyway, and has a maters in film theory, but pretty serious about anarchism and I know she is attracted to the lifestyle side of it. I also read Ran Prieur's blog almost daily. He's a "lifestyle anarchist," although to pigeonhole him as such is limiting, and he is certainly not dumb.
Grand Epic

Postby archaic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

Jacobin looks pretty cool; just subscribed.
all of which are American dreams
archaic

Postby husbands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 am

I used to like reading/watching Zizek but now I basically think he is a convoluted distraction from actual politics

in fact many of the people you name, Ranciere and Badiou especially, are really interesting, thoughtful people, but they really have no experience in any sort of revolutionary change, no idea how to study it empirically, and no understanding of how or why it could occur. To me, that makes them more philosophers than parts of a political order.
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby husbands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 am

I also think that there is a kind of conspicuous intellectual consumption among many in the 'radical left' - buying the latest Zizek mess-of-a-book, finding and subscribing to the newest journal, etc. I think that reading this stuff is valuable, but I also don't think there is any hope of it cohering. Many of the people who really love this stuff have too much to lose and would never actually support a radical politics. This is just an academic perspective though - it is possible that there are other movements and publics that take it more seriously.

there is also a deep suspicious of systematic data and empiricism as a whole that really makes the radical left unpersuasive to me. you can definitely read a lot of great analysis in Jacobin but I bet you won't ever see a results table. And when Zizek says shit like 'all the metals used to make your computer come from the congo' he is missing so much information about global capital flows and corporate malfeasance just by being nonspecific, it's really outrageous.
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby Destroyevsky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 am

does that information change the moral status of our computers in relation to the congo?
Destroyevsky

Postby husbands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 am

well it would create a more systematic and verifiable picture of how moral issues like this occur in the first place, and maybe even what we could do (relatively easily!) as liberals to stop them from occurring
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby Destroyevsky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 am

this is very flmisy material to get in a debate over but I guess my point is that he's gotten to the gist of the matter hasn't he? Is there anything more we need to know about corporate malfeasance that makes us less culpable as consumers? Believe me, I find it odd to be arguing against empirical data since imo there's usually not enough of it, or the wrong kind. But I think there is the reverse tendency to demand More Data in order to defer drawing moral conclusions.

Also btw I don't think anything can easily stop mineral mining in DRC or our consumption of it, people there would be the first to see to that.
Destroyevsky

Postby badhat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 am

posting here cuz i'd like to follow this thread and get reading recs from it
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby husbands » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 am

Destroyevsky wrote:this is very flmisy material to get in a debate over but I guess my point is that he's gotten to the gist of the matter hasn't he? Is there anything more we need to know about corporate malfeasance that makes us less culpable as consumers? Believe me, I find it odd to be arguing against empirical data since imo there's usually not enough of it, or the wrong kind. But I think there is the reverse tendency to demand More Data in order to defer drawing moral conclusions.

Also btw I don't think anything can easily stop mineral mining in DRC or our consumption of it, people there would be the first to see to that.

I agree that the kernel of the moral claim is there in the anecdote. That makes it effective in a philosophical ethics kind of way. But I think that politics depends upon more than anecdotes - who allowed this? who benefits? by how much? By explaining the details of moral problems, we can identify who to attack, and ultimately form coherent attacks.
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby archaic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am

I mean, if impeccably footnoted radical conclusions drawn from largely credible mainstream sources is your thing, there's always the annual chomsky book.
all of which are American dreams
archaic

Next

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.