retro gaming thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:55 pm

I have Panel De Pon, but because I thought that Tetris Attack was expensive. This was a few years ago and either I was dumb or the price has gone down because it's like 10 bucks now.

I'm playing through Terranigma at the moment, thinking of getting Soul Blazer to complete the trilogy (Illusion of Gaia was the only one I played (and loved) as a kid)
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby ZONKER » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:01 pm

The first cart to catch my eye in that pic was Cool Spot 8-)
Image Image Image Image Image
kid8 wrote:mail me all of your drugs and give me your dick and soul.
ZONKER

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Cool Spot is a good game for a licensed plaformer. It's pretty easy but still fun, I used to run through it and beat it basically every time I'd go to my dad's house

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:20 pm

I was literally thinking of buying an og XBOX to play it last night. I know it's better/moddable on PC, but XBOX was the first way I played it and it'd nostalgic as hell.

Actually I have an XBOX at home....

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:32 pm

my gf is gonna be mad at me getting ANOTHER old video game system

but she's just gonna have to get mad at me :twisted:

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:43 pm

And the XBOX is like the biggest clunkiest ugliest console.
Even when you type it out it's all caps. XBOX.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 pm

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."
- The Mind Hunter
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Just beat Terranigma

Honestly one of the weirdest games I've ever played (in a good way). There are times that I absolutely had to look up what to do next which I never like, but all the things you do are so fun to see. But like you climb towers to resurrect the the real Earth and then there are fantasy towns and dungeons on the real map but also there's a place called Neo Tokio that you can set up the Quintet studios and meet the game designers who talk about Illusion of Gaia 2

And then the story and ending are so effective. Not a perfect game maybe, probably a few dungeons too long but I really loved it and glad I played it

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby ill murray » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:25 pm

SNES Classic is really easy to modify with Hakichi 2, nigh on impossible to brick it! One of the first games I got on there was Tetris Attack, only added a dozen or so titles I felt it was missing, the front end is lovely and definitely enjoying my time with it.

Only a few titles that are having trouble at the moment. Terranigma/Illusion of Gaia are two off the top of my head but I think you can play them if you dual boot the classic with Retroarch. There's a great thread to help you get started on Neogaf if anyone is interested.
ill murray

Postby dragons69 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm

love xbox aesthetic tbh, got mine next to my rare japanese monster energy drink KHAOS cans. i posted a bunch of early 2000s xbox announcement videos and they are just peak capsule of the time.
dragons69
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Location: its not a fashion statement, its a fucking death wish

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Took down both the Amidar and Ray Storm house highs this week at the arcade, moving on to Giga Wing and probably Xexex
Hideaway Lights

Postby Hideaway Lights » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Giga Wing is done. Scores in the trillions are just absurd

I almost backed into the Turtles score last night so I'll probably just see if I can get er done next
Hideaway Lights

Postby broodstar » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 am

the two libretro saturn cores were ass & it took me an hour to set up ssf. (it's still a kinda slow emulator and you have to have a physical disc or iso mounted which is kinda funny)

but i am hella excited to play the translation patch of dragon force ii: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=19541.0
broodstar

Postby Hideaway Lights » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:22 pm

I reclaimed the Vs. Castlevania WR last night just before Midnight. Meant a lot to get that one back, especially on Halloween (It was my first). I'm having them change the scoring track at the arcade to be one life only moving forward because the 5-lives track is so much bullshit and score padding.

Edit: also, I got the Turtles score after all. 5 new records in October.
Hideaway Lights

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Has anyone used these alt (s)nes mini hmod hacks?
From what I can tell it means anything from compressing games better to different filters I.e super SAI etc

But I find the programmer narrative extremely hard to follow as is often the case with open source projects..

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods ... od_thread/

Also is there a way to input game genie codes in retro arch without having them in a separate file first? Like back in the old days where it’d just be a few letters and numbers printed in a magazine and you’d type that in.

Sorry I already posted this in the Nintendo thread but this seems more fitting
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:12 am

It’s still a pain in the ass to do but it appears a hack is now available that lets you plug a USB drive via $5 pass through “USB on the go” cable into your SNES mini for storage expansion

PSX/large games are no longer out of the question

I ordered a the dongle but I think I’ll wait til it’s a little more user friendly (as hack chi has become) before I give it a shot
Cool as hell though, all we need now is a way to plug in a Xbox or psx controller for use with retro arch with analogue sticks enabled

Love this little box
Grey Poupon

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:57 pm

I've been playing a ton of Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run Baseball for the SNES and God damn it this game is impossible.
Kevin McCallister

Postby gambra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I've loaded up mine with a pile of games from various consoles and all I play on it is NBA Jam. Fucking hell that game is hard.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby freezinseason » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 pm

i have been playing super mario bros the last couple days because i have some free time. this is much harder than i remember it being in my youth.
freezinseason

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

I think as an adult I’m more aware of the repetitive nature of dying frequently whereas as a kid I was riding high on video game addiction vibes so just kept hammering without thinking this is bullshit I keep dying!
Or my reflexes really are that much worse
Grey Poupon

Postby freezinseason » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:I think as an adult I’m more aware of the repetitive nature of dying frequently whereas as a kid I was riding high on video game addiction vibes so just kept hammering without thinking this is bullshit I keep dying!

yea as i'm playing more i realise im probably actually getting further than i did as a kid, it's just im less likely to think im "hot shit" like i did back then. and yeah caring more about the repetition - i can only really play for about 30 mins at a time, as a kid id be transfixed for hours.
freezinseason

Postby Spooky Jim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Kenny wrote:Cool Spot is a good game for a licensed plaformer. It's pretty easy but still fun, I used to run through it and beat it basically every time I'd go to my dad's house

Remember this game?

Spooky Jim

Postby goofysdeadwife69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:30 am

i noticed amazon has new copies of quite a few classic square ps1 rpgs for under 15 bucks.

is there any reason these games are being reprinted? are there other games from that era that are still in print? is anyone putting out like. n64 cartridges? i think it's super super neat that these exist and they're cheap enough i'm gonna go ahead and buy a few of them. it's cool but also absurd that you can get a physical copy of chrono cross for the same it costs as pn.
goofysdeadwife69
Was Raised Christian

Location: GIVE :CLAP: YOUR :CLAP: MONEY :CLAP: TO :CLAP: LIMP :CLAP: DICK :CLAP: SISSIES :CLAP:

Postby freezinseason » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:41 am

the best i have done in smb1 is 7-1 now. getting better :D
freezinseason

Postby generic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 am

Grey Poupon wrote:I think as an adult I’m more aware of the repetitive nature of dying frequently whereas as a kid I was riding high on video game addiction vibes so just kept hammering without thinking this is bullshit I keep dying!

I read something about certain twitch reflex motor skills in e-sports players deteriorating in their late 20s. I don't know if that's at the margins of extremely high ability or if it holds through across the board
generic

Postby generic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 am

imagine doing a years long longitudinal study to see if you really get worse at video games when you get older
generic

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:27 am

maybe that could be milk’s next spreadsheet

I’m taking the cheap out with my snes mini this weekand using retroarch to play the games and enabling game genie codes when i want
Grey Poupon

Postby bobble » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm

i put all my famicom games in a cassette holder thing and hung it up on the wall

top row (plus a few more) are all konami! the shorter ones on the bottom row are bootlegs but still, fami fever over here
bobble

Postby bobble » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm

trying to come up with a way to display FDS games, they have super cute cases. maybe i can 3d print something...
bobble

Postby freezinseason » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 am

i finally beat super mario bros. happy about that. no continues, no infinite 1up tricks or anything like that. no warps. think i had about 6 lives to spare at the end, everything just fell into place, usually i get game over on 8-3.
freezinseason

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All