retro gaming thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby ill murray » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am

Kenny wrote:That said I spent all last night playing Bubsy 1 for Genesis (my preferred version!)

What's the difference between the versions? Only ever played it on SNES but it's one of my favourite platformers

ill murray

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 am

I like the way the music sounds better, mostly. There's some slight difference to graphics too, but those don't matter as much to me. Basically I just grew up playing it on the Genesis so I like it better.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:51 am

Kenny what if your GF told you to get rid of your games

Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am

My games take up a fairly small portion of our place, I'm not a huge collector (comparatively)

If she told me to get rid of my games I'd be surprised at her personality change

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am

She complains about all the cords more than the games

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby doublethink0 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am

given the day, how is Solstice off NES? Also, Equinox (SNES), if anyone has played those.

doublethink0

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:03 am

I have Equinox, but I haven't gotten too far in it. I think it's really pretty and also really hard (I think that both of those are true about Solstice from what I've seen/heard too)

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby fuckyoudad » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:05 am

Yeah Solstice is hard as fuck. My memory of it is lots of precision platforming over deadly spikes with an isometric view, but it has a cool vibe and is fun to explore
Note: mildly comedic.

fuckyoudad

Postby Patchouli Jim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 am

Kenny wrote:I have Equinox, but I haven't gotten too far in it. I think it's really pretty and also really hard (I think that both of those are true about Solstice from what I've seen/heard too)

I remember I played Equinox a shit ton as a kid, and ended up hating it cause I think I got soft locked out of the 3rd world. I couldn't get enough keys to get into a certain room. Anyways, I didn't know you could get soft locked out of a game really and spent weeks trying to find that damn key and never did. Same thing happened with Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby Hideaway Lights » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Robbie Lakeman just facebook-lived a new Donkey Kong WR 1,230,100 lmao

Hideaway Lights

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Dammmnnn

My heart breaks every time there's a new record and it's not Steve Wiebe though

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Here's how much room my collection takes:
(though there are a bunch of consoles and a box of gameboy games behind the grating

and

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tgk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:46 pm

freezinseason wrote:now im playing mario 2 (japanese only release?) and its just brutally difficult, i keep getting game over at 2-1 lol.

you have to utilize the extra live strategy, at the end of every level you need a coin total in a multiple of 11 (22, 33, 44 etc) and match the timer's last digit with your coin total i.e if you have 44 coins, hit the timer when its at 74,64,54,44, etc, if you have 55 coins, hit the timer at 45,35,25 etc and you'll get a 1up. There's also a lot of one up blocks in the first few levels. This way you build up lives before it gets really hard

tgk

Postby Hideaway Lights » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Kenny wrote:Dammmnnn

My heart breaks every time there's a new record and it's not Steve Wiebe though

FWIW Lakeman is the best dude

Hideaway Lights

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Legitimately impressed by how clutterless and cute that setup looks, Petty.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks dude! I've gone through several different ways of organizing my games. I only have a 1 bedroom so space is a premium.

Here's a look in the case under the tv:

and my gameboy collection:

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm

I bought this copy of Zelda II but it's losing it's gold coloring so I brought my better one from home and am gonna sell this one and look what it's like inside:

Ah this is a Canadian version, which is why there's French on the cover

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Assuming that the PAL is referring to the region, that wouldn't be a Canadian copy.
The cartridge label says says NES-AL-FRA, so I'd guess France.

Kevin McCallister

Postby cyantific » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Yeah, that looks like a PAL-A cart.

Finished the year speedrunning / playing two underrated platformers on the NES: Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu and Pizza Pop! Highly recommended if people are looking to play a couple of shortish games. I also participated in a speedrun marathon on Twitch in October for WR holders in NES games. I ended up doing alright but I did die once on a boss fight (bad RNG / nervousness). I don't have a clue what I want to speedrun next though.
cyantific

Postby Kenny » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Weird I bought it from Canada! The language is English anyways.

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby sassafras socks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:18 pm

so what's the easiest emulator to use on my surface pro? saw that there was a big dump of snes games in the dropbox and impulsively grabbed it, but can't get snes9x, zsnes, higane, or retroarch to work. they're all giving me errors about different missing files when I try to start the emu. kind of remember this being a pain in the ass last time I wanted to get into this stuff a few years ago but can't recall what ended up working out :(
sassafras socks

Postby gambra » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Its likely your just missing the BIOS files of everything, they can't legally distribute those with the emulators.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

virtuous wrote:lol imagine if your dad ran hpn

gambra

Postby animefilm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 am

Images I found

animefilm

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:08 am

goofysdeadwife69 wrote:metroid prime 2 is mostly great and i'm glad i'm finally getting around to playing another one of these after 15 years but god the decision to turn this into a series about space marines at war dates it so badly in a way that isn't even charming to me. the color palette is also a lot darker and theres less ambient life than in the first game. just. it could've been so fucking good if they weren't trying to turn it into halo. as i understand prime 3 is even worse in this regard and other m is what it is. i still want to get around to playing prime 3 eventually tho. hope the decade off means retro pulls off something special for the fourth game.

I really wish Nintendo would just make another Super Metroid style game, I don't care about the Prime series at all. I really don't like the genre drift the Metroid series has had.

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:31 pm

I was scared away by the reviews (esp. Jeremy Parish who I usually agree with + he's a huge metroid fan) saying that the counter-based combat kind of ruined it for him. I definitely plan to pick it up on some impulse if/when it gets cheap though.

I played A2M it was def dope. I also thought Axiom Verge was amazing on a second playthrough (after listening to a Retronauts interview where the creator said he created the speedrun option also for people who didn't want any plot explained like the original metroid)

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby gambra » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I can hear that Sega jacket rustling from here. $250 though.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

virtuous wrote:lol imagine if your dad ran hpn

gambra

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 am

Todd Rogers has had his Dragster time removed and he's been banned completely from Twin Galaxies records :shock:

I'm a little sad because I really liked Todd Rogers instantly after seeing him in the Chasing Ghosts documentary

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby a new dad for all » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Billy Mitchells donkey kong records being removed for using MAME

a new dad for all

Postby a new dad for all » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 pm

a new dad for all

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 am

#WiebeShouldSue

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley