Hipinion Parents Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby brittle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Merciel wrote:
aububs wrote:it's so cool that so many of you and your kids are enjoying chris's books. he'll be stoked to hear it.

We just got Shh We Have a Plan and Oh No, George! based on recs in this thread.

A+ books, thanks for the tips. Kermit's a little young to get them completely, but he seems to like the pictures a bunch.

shh we have a plan and pout pout fish are en route to our house right now too.

i'm actually really excited to read them :oops:
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:wife was trying to document this little wheeze she has been doing for the doctor. she had other ideas.

:lol:

man, thinking back to those first 3 to 4 weeks is like trying to remember a dream. what a trip.
brittle

Postby JohnK » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:27 pm

^ awesome

I got the bright idea to change LittlestK's diaper on the couch this morning because it sounded like she couldn't possibly have anything left in her guts. I finished cleaning her up and was sliding the new diaper underneath her when she straight up hot chocolate high velocity'd a stream of liquid shit like a foot+ across the couch and onto my leg. Good thing we got the fabric protection.
JohnK

Postby neuartillery » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:44 pm

I could do a survey of children's books, given that we have about a billion of them and I spend a good chunk of every day reading to my kids.
neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Neu! 15 calls Pete the Cat "Pete Cat" and it makes me laugh every time.
neuartillery

Postby brittle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:59 pm

littlebrittle is obsessed with busses thanks to pete the cat.

every time i put him in the car, he just says, "a bus? a bus? a bus?" until he falls asleep. i try and point out any busses that we pass, but now that i think of it, he probably just wants me to sing the song.
brittle

Postby barrel eye » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 pm

barrel eye jr loves pete the cat, his nana got him a groovy buttons teddy to go with the book

feeling kinda guilty because i even read to him when he was still in the womb but i haven't really read to his little bro yet
barrel eye

Postby barrel eye » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

JohnK wrote:^ awesome

I got the bright idea to change LittlestK's diaper on the couch this morning because it sounded like she couldn't possibly have anything left in her guts. I finished cleaning her up and was sliding the new diaper underneath her when she straight up hot chocolate high velocity'd a stream of liquid shit like a foot+ across the couch and onto my leg. Good thing we got the fabric protection.

haha

new son has peed on his mum during nappy change at least five times already. i like to plan ahead more though and don't leave any openings for such antics 8-)
barrel eye

Postby john plainman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Help my mom is the worst mother in law and I don't know how to get her to stop being so judgmental and disapproving of my wife's mom skills
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby john plainman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Why did this visit have to overlap with my long weekend :(
john plainman

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:24 am

aububs wrote:it's so cool that so many of you and your kids are enjoying chris's books. he'll be stoked to hear it.

maybe you're aware (or don't like your kids to do phone stuff, i don't myself) but he made an app for kids called Hat Monkey with Matt Wand from Stock. Hausen & Walkmen. it's pretty good fun.

Yes SPLina played Hat Monkey ad nauseum a few years ago. Cool app.

God loving the reading explosion. I was an early reader, still read for pleasure every single day and was waiting for her to get into it.

Now she casually reads things when we're out and I forget sometimes how far she's come.

We really need to give away like half her book collection because she's too old but both my wife and SPLina are too nostalgic.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Merciel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Kermit gets to be a special babby who has a Philly onesie made just for him (because our new place happens to share the same cross streets as a baby boutique which had these made to promote the store):

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby john plainman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Oh yeah, my fam will be in Philly next month. Our birthday babies should definitely meet.
john plainman

Postby Merciel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:48 pm

sure

shoot me a pm and/or post in the Philly thread when you know the details

I'm going to be visiting my knocked-up sister at the end of October (25-29, although SVC will still be here), but should be around the rest of the month
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby aububs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am

got this book at the weekend. if yr kids are like 3+ they should love it. I think it's brilliant.

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby barrel eye » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 am

i've spent the last three days not sleeping because son one has a virus and refuses to be with anyone but me

hate seeing him ill like this :cry: hopefully he's back to his usual rascal self soon
barrel eye

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 am

john plainman wrote:Help my mom is the worst mother in law and I don't know how to get her to stop being so judgmental and disapproving of my wife's mom skills

some friends have this situation. they just... kinda avoid his mom :-\

i bet it's awful, best of luck friend
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby universe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:49 am

My mom is generally great but she decided to start some shit the week the baby was born and I completely lost it over the phone and screamed at her to knock it off in an extended rant and she's been perfect ever since. So try that maybe.
universe
dad

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 am

yeah i'd imagine it's not easy but might be worth saying something like "you know how hard it is to have a family, and how important that family is. if you keep making things difficult for my new family i'm going to have to marginalize you some. don't make me do that."
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby Much Honoured Lord Nefarious » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 am

ive had to absolutely lay down the hammer on two people in our family over some real selfish shit on the part of the offending parties. one was on my side and one on my wife's. the one on my side has been wrapped and patched up for a bit but the other one just happened.

im not putting up with anyone's bullshit on this. either get in line or you're going to be left out.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious

Postby universe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 am

When the baby was born, my wife wanted to be alone with the baby for a few days so we made arrangements for people to come over on, like, day 3 or something, and my mother was upset she couldn't come immediately (everyone got to come to the hospital so she'd met the baby) and threatened not to come at all, to which I was just like what the fuck are you kidding me?

My wife never found out, I hid in a small room in our basement so I could scream into the phone freely.
universe
dad

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 am

My daughter turns 2 today. Time really is flying by with her.

Yesterday she brought a blanket over to me on the couch and said "I want to cuddle."
Shotfrog

Postby universe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 am

My daughter, also recently 2, is also now asking to "snuggle" and it's the bessssst.

She's gotten so much more articulate in just the last week or two, it's really remarkable. She has a cousin 7 months older than her who is basically holding conversations and I can't believe my daughter will be doing that in just a few months.
universe
dad

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am

my daughter told us she learned what the "n-word" is and we both panicked until we found out it's "naked"
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby universe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 am

My sister also taught my daughter to say "impeach!" so now she just screams it randomly.
universe
dad

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am

universe wrote:My daughter, also recently 2, is also now asking to "snuggle" and it's the bessssst.

She's gotten so much more articulate in just the last week or two, it's really remarkable. She has a cousin 7 months older than her who is basically holding conversations and I can't believe my daughter will be doing that in just a few months.

We're having this experience. She suddenly started speaking in sentences.
Shotfrog

Postby whatabout tim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 am

Checking in. First trimester down. The wife has been pretty great so far. Sick most of the first trimester and worried nonstop, but I've somehow kept her together/relatively calm. I'm sure the fear will set in soon but I'm so dang excited to be a cool dad.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 am

congrats, 2nd trimester is fun
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby tgk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:13 am

Ankh wrote:my daughter told us she learned what the "n-word" is and we both panicked until we found out it's "naked"

so like, she didn't know what the word naked was?
tgk

Postby Much Honoured Lord Nefarious » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 am

whatabout tim wrote:Checking in. First trimester down. The wife has been pretty great so far. Sick most of the first trimester and worried nonstop, but I've somehow kept her together/relatively calm. I'm sure the fear will set in soon but I'm so dang excited to be a cool dad.

no fear my dude. being a dad rules.

there will be points of stress, like watching your partner go through labor, or hoping they take to breastfeeding, or just their general health, but there isnt anything to fear in your role in it or the changes to your life. it's great.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All