Hipinion Parents Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby aububs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:23 am

glad your all enjoying your sweet baby children. my daughter is 3 months old and starting to become herself, it's great to see.

and I vacillate daily between loving my 3 year old to bits and wanting to fucking disembowel him.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Much Honoured Lord Nefarious » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am

aububs wrote:glad your all enjoying your sweet baby children. my daughter is 3 months old and starting to become herself, it's great to see.

and I vacillate daily between loving my 3 year old to bits and wanting to fucking disembowel him.

yeah they' jump from being "the worst" or "the best" multiple times a day with nothing in between.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am

tgk wrote:
Ankh wrote:my daughter told us she learned what the "n-word" is and we both panicked until we found out it's "naked"

so like, she didn't know what the word naked was?

nah, it's teachers or classmates or something telling her what words she knows are 'bad'
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby tgk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:29 am

lol, i love how some people assume anatomical facts are "bad", like we never taught my kid words like "pee pee" or "willy", he just says penis because that's what it is.
tgk

Postby Much Honoured Lord Nefarious » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 am

puritanical bullshit.

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 am

haha yeah she goes to a montessori kindergarten that's mostly for/by immigrants so sometimes i wonder if it's not ESL people figuring out social norms

that said, i'm not going to stop saying "booty"
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby Much Honoured Lord Nefarious » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am

my wife is def on my case about my many f-bombs around the baby, but like...don't turn on meet the press and we wont have this problem.

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am

tgk wrote:lol, i love how some people assume anatomical facts are "bad", like we never taught my kid words like "pee pee" or "willy", he just says penis because that's what it is.

Yeah, my daughter same thing. Got away from baby talk as soon as humanly possible.

My sister-in-law still sometimes baby-talks her 7 year old and it drives me up the fucking wall. Half my drinking problem can be traced to having dinner at the in-laws.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby tgk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:40 am

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:my wife is def on my case about my many f-bombs around the baby, but like...don't turn on meet the press and we wont have this problem.

i still curse around my five year old, we basically explained that those words can make people upset so its best not to use them around other people. I think just taking the whole mystique and "oooh bad word!" ethos away from those words takes any sort of intrigue away so he doesn't ever use them, wheras if I threw a fit if he said "fuck" he'd keep it in his back pocket anytime he wanted to rile me up.

Also, you've got a baby, curse your heart out man you need it those first years, they can't understand you.
tgk

Postby brittle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:53 am

related: son's started saying, "eeeewww!" every time i change his diaper, if has poop in it.

100% certain one of his daycare teachers must say it whenever she has to change a poopy diaper. :x
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:54 am

been saying, "oooo, wow" instead and i think it's catching on.

like, some people are just hellbent of giving other humans the same hangups and complexes they grew up with.
brittle

Postby universe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:58 am

Sometimes when something fun happens, I do a fake gasp like when Bart and Lisa find out they're going to Itchy and Scratchy Land, and my daughter has picked it up, so whenever a song she likes comes on the radio or something else she likes happens she gasps and grins.
universe
dad

Postby Man From Laramie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 am

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks into fatherhood and it's been amazing so far. it's definitely not as hard as I thought it was going to be. the most unpleasant part for me was the horrible anxiety leading up to the birth. i was freaking out. but once the baby was born it disappeared.

last weekend there was a major blowup with my dad. my partner is very germophobic and scared of dogs, so she is extremely wary having my parent's dog near the baby. my dad treats the dog like HIS baby so he flips out and starts shouting at her when she asks him politely to not allow the dog to jump up. then me and my mother start shouting back at him. it's his bday tomorrow and nobody wants to give him a present. who in the dog house now, dad.
Man From Laramie

Postby tgk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:03 am

brittle wrote:related: son's started saying, "eeeewww!" every time i change his diaper, if has poop in it.

100% certain one of his daycare teachers must say it whenever she has to change a poopy diaper. :x

this is so weird to me, I only have one kid and i became numb to shitty diapers after like a week, if you're daycare worker this is like half your day, every day, you'd think they wouldn't be phased.
tgk

Postby Man From Laramie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 am

baby!

Man From Laramie

Postby Ankh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 am

man fuck those type of dog people

i've got a half-dozen friends who have scars from being a kid and being attacked by a "dog who would never hurt a child"
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby Merciel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 am

Dog germs are actually good for babies though.

edit: which is not to pooh-pooh your partner's concerns in the big picture, because I don't trust other people's dogs around Kermit either, but that's mostly because a lot of dog owners don't know shit about keeping that situation safe and managed.

Probably a lot of parents too, judging by how some kids approach Dog Mob.

But anyway I am firmly in the pro-germ camp. Just not pro-dog bites.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby DestructoBot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:45 am

i routinely let one of our dogs clean our sons face after a particularly messy meal

win win
DestructoBot

Postby tgk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:51 am

after we had to put down our last dog we accelerated our grieving period before getting a new one because there was no one to lick up all the food the baby was dropping on the floor.
tgk

Postby john plainman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:53 am

tgk wrote:after we had to put down our last dog we accelerated our grieving period before getting a new one because there was no one to lick up all the food the baby was dropping on the floor.

This is the best, yeah, except our guy is now joyfully feeding him so we have to give him one bite at a time
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:56 am

Merciel wrote:Dog germs are actually good for babies though.

edit: which is not to pooh-pooh your partner's concerns in the big picture, because I don't trust other people's dogs around Kermit either, but that's mostly because a lot of dog owners don't know shit about keeping that situation safe and managed.

Probably a lot of parents too, judging by how some kids approach Dog Mob.

But anyway I am firmly in the pro-germ camp. Just not pro-dog bites.

Yup. 2 dogs, 2 cats in the house, got her outside as much as possible as soon as possible, lucked out with no allergies.

I was worried she was going to be allergic to peanut butter, which would kill me, as I could probably live off of PB alone if I had to.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby john plainman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 am

This morning I heard my baby say "dada car weeee go go beego (vehicle) bikel (bicycle)" as like some weird free association ramble

His language explosion has been awesome
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby fester » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

my daughter just recently decided "work means done" and I've tried to explain to her that 'work' doesn't mean 'done' but she isn't going for it. When she finished dinner the other night she said "I'm work". I asked her where she learned it and she said school. I have no idea.
LETS-GO-POOP
fester

Postby brittle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm

if everybody is flipping out when the dog jumps on the kid, that's really, really bad. only advice i can give is just stay cool and close.

my pup jumps for kisses when she's around little ones and it's tense as hell, but i warn parents and kids before they approach and calmly correct if she puts paws up. also she's only like 35 lbs
brittle

Postby DestructoBot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm

john plainman wrote:
tgk wrote:after we had to put down our last dog we accelerated our grieving period before getting a new one because there was no one to lick up all the food the baby was dropping on the floor.

This is the best, yeah, except our guy is now joyfully feeding him so we have to give him one bite at a time

we had dropped our dogs at our parents when we went on a trip somewhere, so we were without them for one night. the carnage around the high chair after dinner was shocking, and had no idea how much trouble our dogs save us

and yeah, our son is now actively feeding our bigger dog (because she is visible and right there at all times). oh well.
DestructoBot

Postby Merciel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Kermit intentionally fucks with the dogs by offering them his cookies and then pulling them away and laughing, because he's a fucking dick.

Eventually the dogs win and snipe the cookie when he drops his guard for a minute, though, so I figure it's a valuable lesson for him to learn and haven't stopped this.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby DestructoBot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:25 pm

amazing
DestructoBot

Postby DestructoBot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:25 pm

can we just rename this the parents thread
DestructoBot

Postby DestructoBot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:26 pm

DestructoBot wrote:can we just rename this the parents thread

yes, yes you can dbot
DestructoBot