You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sunrise » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 am

I've used the Southbank Centre for this before
sunrise

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:25 am

There's a new coffee shop around where I live that has really good coffee but they close at 6 on weekdays and 4 on the weekend so I never get to go. Seems crazy early to me
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby all day breakfast » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 am

southbank is a real chill spot to work through the day and evening
all day breakfast

Postby Geoff » Wed May 02, 2018 5:33 pm

hello again, shall we organise another meetup!
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby bunejug » Tue May 08, 2018 2:17 am

I'm moving here in september :0

what are the good sites/groups for housing? I want to start casually looking to get an idea of what options exist.
bunejug

Postby object » Tue May 08, 2018 3:15 am

housing lol
object

Postby Geoff » Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 am

bunejug wrote:

!!! nice
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Geoff » Tue May 08, 2018 3:35 am

Last edited by Geoff on Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Kenny » Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 am

We found our current place on open rent and it went way smooth

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Tue May 08, 2018 5:08 am

Openrent is easily the best renting experience I've had in London. The references and credit checks took about 3 days and cost at most a quarter of what an agent charges. You have to be prepared for them to call you up hassling you if your references aren't getting back to them though.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.
Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby Kenny » Tue May 08, 2018 5:15 am

Are you coming with a job? When we came we didn't have a job (She was going to school, I was going to find one when I got here) and they made us pay 6 months rent up front. This was in Manchester so it wasn't impossible, and I think Open Rent may make it less of a thing.

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby bunejug » Tue May 08, 2018 12:45 pm

thanks for openrent!

I'm coming as a student while working part-time remotely. I might try subletting because I don't want to deal with buying furniture and crazy landlord expectations. are all the listings on openrent subject to reference & credit checks?
bunejug

Postby Kenny » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Gumtree is the sort of Craigslist for here, you might find some sublets there but of course it's like craigslist so it could end up creepy

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Tue May 08, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm pretty sure all the Openrent listings will have credit checks etc as it's built in to their process before they produce a contract. You can contact the landlords directly through it though and check with them whether they'll have a problem and I think you can also apply filters like 'student friendly'.
When I was finding someone to take my room a few years ago I used Spareroom which worked well. Gumtree potentially has a better chance of finding a chill private landlord who'll work out a deal with you but yeah it's a bit more lawless and there are definitely some weird dudes on there.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.
Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby gustavo » Wed May 09, 2018 4:50 am

Do you know where in London you are moving to?
gustavo

Postby object » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 am

object

Postby bunejug » Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 pm

gustavo wrote:Do you know where in London you are moving to?

not really. I know almost nothing about the city. In general, I tend to prefer slightly residential neighborhoods over trendy ones that are brimming with bars and cafes (though I like living adjacent to those neighborhoods). I'm looking for affordable rent and close enough proximity that I could get to central london within 30 minutes by bike/tube. a neighborhood on the central or piccadilly lines seems like it would be the most convenient. is that even possible?
bunejug

Postby Geoff » Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm

bunejug wrote:

not really. I know almost nothing about the city. In general, I tend to prefer slightly residential neighborhoods over trendy ones that are brimming with bars and cafes (though I like living adjacent to those neighborhoods). I'm looking for affordable rent and close enough proximity that I could get to central london within 30 minutes by bike/tube. a neighborhood on the central or piccadilly lines seems like it would be the most convenient. is that even possible?

what's your budget for rent likely to be per week?
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Geoff » Wed May 09, 2018 2:19 pm

you can use this as a rough guide of prices by area

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/ho ... -rents-map
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Geoff » Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 pm

by the way bunejug, I offer my help unconditionally, PM me and I'll give you my mobile number if you ever need anyone to talk to about london advice and such!
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Kenny » Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Junebug move to Bow, it's a hidden gem. It's quiet and you have to leave to do anything cool but it's zone 2 and affordable. I guess it used to be a rough area (Dizzee Rascal and Wiley are from here!) so I get comments sometime like Oh.... when I say I live there from snobs but it's always been nice to me, though I probably represent the gentrification wedge... I've been here six years tho!
Last edited by Kenny on Wed May 09, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby object » Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm

ACID ATTACK CAPITAL OF THE WORLD BLACK ON BLACK CRIME!!!
object

Postby object » Wed May 09, 2018 2:43 pm

bunejug wrote:

worth considering: central line can be convenient but it's impossibly busy at peak times and can be very busy at other times too. having to wait to squeeze into the train everyday is a huge pain.
object

Postby Geoff » Wed May 09, 2018 2:45 pm

object wrote:
bunejug wrote:

worth considering: central line can be convenient but it's impossibly busy at peak times and can be very busy at other times too. having to wait to squeeze into the train everyday is a huge pain.

it's also extremely hot in summer (no air con anywhere on the tube)
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Wed May 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Geoff wrote:by the way bunejug, I offer my help unconditionally, PM me and I'll give you my mobile number if you ever need anyone to talk to about london advice and such!

also if ya in a bind ever and need to crash last minute or something, my dads/his gfs place in Hackney has a spare room. they've had lodgers and that before and i'm sure would be down if i had a word.
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby bunejug » Wed May 09, 2018 3:24 pm

what a warm welcome! thanks :)

my school said I should budget about £1,100-£1,300 per month, so I'd say my weekly budget for rent should be ~£150. it looks like there are ~£5-600 (monthly) decent rooms on openrent for bow (which fits all my criteria, thanks). affordable markets within the neighborhood are a plus but I don't mind venturing out a bit for errands.

I'm pretty used to congested public transit and am planning on getting a used bike when I arrive or using the santander system. my hours would probably be a bit different than peak hours, so that should help. I imagine that bike commuting in london is safer than what I'm used to in nyc & cdmx.
bunejug

Postby strange potion » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Not that safe unfortunately, depends on your route

Busses are decent though
strange potion

Postby Kenny » Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm

There's a bike lane that is segregated on Mile End road all the way into the city that I haven't used much but it felt safe to me. I used to ride the street in before it was there and it was always fine to me but there were peopole who died....

and then I stopped and then I got fat

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Geoff » Wed May 09, 2018 4:37 pm

bunejug wrote:what a warm welcome! thanks :)

my school said I should budget about £1,100-£1,300 per month, so I'd say my weekly budget for rent should be ~£150. it looks like there are ~£5-600 (monthly) decent rooms on openrent for bow (which fits all my criteria, thanks). affordable markets within the neighborhood are a plus but I don't mind venturing out a bit for errands.

I'm pretty used to congested public transit and am planning on getting a used bike when I arrive or using the santander system. my hours would probably be a bit different than peak hours, so that should help. I imagine that bike commuting in london is safer than what I'm used to in nyc & cdmx.

That''s a prettyh good budget, you could easily get a 1 bedroom apartment in some ok places for that price per month.
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby object » Wed May 09, 2018 4:43 pm

a 1 bedroom apartment for 600 p/m?
object

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.