british politics

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:40 pm

Are there even enough boarders from the UK for this to exist?
Last edited by chargie on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:41 am, edited 22 times in total.
trouble wrote:e equals can't c color

chargie

Postby eleanor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm

there's a thread to complain about the weather so pretty much

eleanor

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Ha, do you have a link?

Edit: nm, found it.
Last edited by chargie on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargie

Postby badminton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Coldest Easter Sunday ever!

We did it!

badminton

Postby badminton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Did anyone see the Boris Johnson doc that aired on BBC2 last week?

A lot of scandal throughout his political career which would see most hounded and forced from the political sphere.

Baffling to me how he was re-elected last year and holds any sort of meaningful position. Arguable whether Mayor of London is meaningful at all, but it is high profile and he obviously has loftier ambitions.

badminton

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:59 pm

I didn't see it, is it up on iplayer?

chargie

Postby badminton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:02 pm

badminton

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks. I took my complaints over here, btw: http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35554&start=360

chargie

Postby gallits » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm

Hearing Boris Johnson telling me to group up over the tannoy of a bus during the olympics was the most Orwellian feeling moment in my life. Also it's not a joke he's the mayor, he's fucking good at PR.

gallits

Postby SPEED ACE » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 pm

I saw Ed Milliband speak the other week at an event and he was one of the smoothest politicians I've ever seen. Really good speech with no notes, natural and relaxed, took three questions at a time and answered them all confidently addressing each questioner by their name, the kind of open gestures which made you implicitly trust him, and a decent coherent message and vision. He left the stage to pretty warm applause considering the audience and as it died down I heard the guy in front of me lean across and say to his colleague "he's fucking slimy, him, isn't he?!"

SPEED ACE

Postby gallits » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 pm

Watching that boris doc. My dad was an environmental consultant. Why didn't I get to do to Eton?

gallits

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:31 pm

Hm, looking further at the 'England Blows' thread, I think it's probably better I just move over here.

barrel eye wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/31/liberal-conservative-coalition-conservatives

So this bedroom tax thing is going ahead. So ridiculous.

This quote from the article made me chuckle, although it really isn't a laughing matter.

Welcome to a Lib Dem enabled Tory Britain:

Where, if you don’t own your own home and your child dies, not only do you have to find the money to give him / her a decent burial, but you are then taxed for the inconvenience you’ve caused Mr. Cameron and Mr. Clegg by leaving an empty bedroom as a drain on their precious coalition government resources.

Who pays the price for the world wide global financial crash in Mr. Cameron and Mr. Clegg’s twisted world?

Not the bankers; not the fake expense claiming MP’s; not the tax avoiding big corporations.

It’s the child in its grave; the grieving parents; the disabled partner with the specially adapted room now considered a luxury; the poor non owner occupier struggling on a low pay topped up with benefits because the employer doesn’t pay a living wage.

Oh Charlie Dickens; Thou Shouldst Be Living At This Hour!

Kick out the lying Lib Dems.

danslog wrote:pretty hilarious in a way how half the country have been so massively misled

barrel eye wrote:It is, and terrifying at the same time. Ah well, welcome to the country of historically wondrous choices in taxation methods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_tax

chargie

Postby genghis sean » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:31 pm

deep space wrote:I saw Ed Milliband speak the other week at an event and he was one of the smoothest politicians I've ever seen. Really good speech with no notes, natural and relaxed, took three questions at a time and answered them all confidently addressing each questioner by their name, the kind of open gestures which made you implicitly trust him, and a decent coherent message and vision. He left the stage to pretty warm applause considering the audience and as it died down I heard the guy in front of me lean across and say to his colleague "he's fucking slimy, him, isn't he?!"

yeah I much prefer the father

genghis sean

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 pm

My friends mum looks after David Miliband's children, and she has the biggest crush on him. I can't wait to discuss the news with her that he quit the Sunderland FC board, due to them appointing a fascist coach.

chargie

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm

genghis sean wrote:yeah I much prefer the father

This is perhaps remiss of me, but I wasn't aware of Ralph Miliband. Reading up on him now, on the ever reliable and trustworthy wikipedia.

chargie

Postby Potty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Do you guys think that the UK will leave the EU?

Part of my job is reading newspapers for "current awareness" which is actually keeping me pretty up-to-date which I like. Reading all this shit about how everybody's afraid of Romanians/Bulgarians moving the UK is crazily openly racist.
Last edited by Potty on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚Started from the bottom (US) now we're here (UK)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby eleanor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 pm

barrel eye wrote:Hm, looking further at the 'England Blows' thread, I think it's probably better I just move over here.

yep sorry that was a pretty terrible joke/post

eleanor

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 pm

eleanor wrote:
barrel eye wrote:Hm, looking further at the 'England Blows' thread, I think it's probably better I just move over here.

yep sorry that was a pretty terrible joke/post

Haha, that's ok. Put it down to my tiredness.

chargie

Postby genghis sean » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:42 pm

barrel eye wrote:
genghis sean wrote:yeah I much prefer the father

This is perhaps remiss of me, but I wasn't aware of Ralph Miliband. Reading up on him now, on the ever reliable and trustworthy wikipedia.

ralph miliband could very well be the very best political theorist and commentator of the post-war era, in this comrade's opinion.

his children would undoubtedly be terrible disappointments to him.

genghis sean

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Petty wrote:Do you guys think that the UK will leave the EU?

Part of my job is reading newspapers for "current awareness" which is actually keeping me pretty up-to-date which I like. Reading all this shit about how everybody's afraid of Romanians/Bulgarians moving the UK is crazily openly racist.

I think that once the media get behind something it usually happens, and the current tone is that yes, they will leave. It's pretty sad really, I hope it doesn't happen. In general the current government frightens me.

The Romanians/Bulgarians thing is horrible. Have you read this?

chargie

Postby chimp_ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:48 pm

no
the spirit of this thread is the total death-wish. it frightens me. people are laughing about this, because they are idiots, just idiots.

chimp_

Postby badminton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Being at my family home for Easter and having lunch yesterday with my Mother and Sister discussing this in depth was a depressing/defining moment. My sister works for the NHS and the conversation mainly revolved around the strain it will be put under as a result of the potential influx of those from Romania/Bulgaria. I briefly remarked that the blame should be portioned at the mismanagement and flawed procedure of the NHS itself rather than blindly accusing immigrants - I wasn't really listened to.

badminton

Postby An Indulgent Mother » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Should that read 'moving to the UK'? I'm not being pedantic.
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression

An Indulgent Mother

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 pm

badminton wrote:Being at my family home for Easter and having lunch yesterday with my Mother and Sister discussing this in depth was a depressing/defining moment. My sister works for the NHS and the conversation mainly revolved around the strain it will be put under as a result of the potential influx of those from Romania/Bulgaria. I briefly remarked that the blame should be portioned at the mismanagement and flawed procedure of the NHS itself rather than blindly accusing immigrants - I wasn't really listened to.

What would you put their opinions down to? I had a similar conversation with an aunt, who is afraid of the potential overcrowding and crime etc., and I'm pretty sure she doesn't read the tabloids.

chargie

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:57 pm

I would absolutely love for an efficient Romanian to take my supervisor's job so we wouldn't have some brainless cunt taking ludicrously extended lunchbreaks, reading aloud from the Daily Mail about benefit tourists and generally doing fuck all.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Speaking of the Daily Mail, this has been popping up in my fbook feed recently:

chargie

Postby pocket shepherd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:06 pm

thing is none of the three main parties* are in favour of an EU withdrawal, it's just Cameron has to appease his backbenchers and the concerned (xenophobic) party support.

so yeah he promises a referendum (in the next parliament) to keep the wolves from the door but it will be an odd campaign when/if it comes to pass.

*assuming UKIP haven't taken over LIbs as third party

pocket shepherd
ok

Postby badminton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:09 pm

I think there generally is a growing anti-immigration attitude because of the repercussions of the economic downturn leading to higher unemployment and immigrants generally seen as a threat. Where this notion of 'threat' comes from I have no idea, but it's likely to be a combination of media, ignorance and some other stuff. There are probably a number of contributing factors but I really don't pay anywhere near enough attention to how our politics is changing the mindset of the general population. I also feel as though happily living in an area with huge immigrant communities it's not like I have this fear of outsiders that many seem to.

badminton

Postby chargie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

And of course UKIP are feeding off that attitude.

chargie

Postby Potty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:14 pm

I was reading in the Financial Times that only %1 Polish immigrants take UK benefits as opposed to the %2 of Britons, so it seems like the Benefits Tourism is just a way to cover up the racism.
Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚Started from the bottom (US) now we're here (UK)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley