Norm MacDonald's live podcast

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby various artists » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:40 am

alex wrote:
grayfox wrote:i didn't feel like that was sincere

it's totally sincere

i love norm but it's clear he holds socially conservative/reactionary politics towards most gender and trans issues

Yes. It's a shame, and he absolutely plays them up in his offbeat way, but it's undeniable after this series. There's a good bit on the Seinfeld interview in which Norm mentions his father was older than most, so another generation removed, and Jerry mentions that "makes sense", which yes, made sense to me.

Carrey seems like a dude on the edge. I never got him, even as a kid, and I think the way he tells the Tommy Lee Jones story in this is the perfect encapsulation of why. He let's the amazing punchline pass like an afterthought, while focusing on doing an OTT impression of the dude.
various artists

Postby good news » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:56 am

alex wrote:
grayfox wrote:i didn't feel like that was sincere

it's totally sincere

i love norm but it's clear he holds socially conservative/reactionary politics towards most gender and trans issues

yeah i watched a 2016 stand up bit of his where he goes in on trans people and its like fuck can you not do this
good news

Postby uncleoswald » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Bartatua wrote:I'm like 6 minutes in and this already feels like it's heading toward "best episode after super dave" territory

amazing in the beginning, but i kinda got tired after a while. it was a long one.
uncleoswald

Postby good news » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Its one of the best of this season easily, but I don't think it measures up to some of the really good season 1 episodes.
good news

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:26 pm

grayfox wrote:
goofjan grievens wrote:man Jim Carrey does not have the attention span for this. Norm couldn't even do his Albert Fish joke!

it seemed like jim knew the format and probably had heard the joke before

Was the punchline going to be that he seems like a real jerk?
the skeleton is doing standup comedy
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I didn't care for Seinfeld. It was odd that Norm thought he seemed kind.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 pm

I listened to the Seinfeld CD as a teenager and then went to see him in 2001 and it was all the same jokes. Started watching his new Netflix special the other day, still using a lot of the same jokes.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby clwon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 pm

couldn't get thru the Carey interview either

I imagine I would have a panic attack if I had to share space with that dude for more than like 15 minutes
aka piss chalet aka Mercedes Benzo
clwon
business is very food

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 pm

jim carey is a mystic bro asshole. fucking terrible
Daft Pun

Postby Melville » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Jim Carey appears to have come unhinged, spouting what seems to be stock Buddhist philosophy but making it sound obnoxious and insane, and he'd be insufferable to spend any time with. But the episode had the same reeling-out-of-control energy as the jokes section of the Tim Allen episode. Damn funny.

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:I listened to the Seinfeld CD as a teenager and then went to see him in 2001 and it was all the same jokes. Started watching his new Netflix special the other day, still using a lot of the same jokes.

I think his Netflix special consists entirely of recycled jokes. At least I remember recognizing all of them. I don't know why he'd do that, but I got the impression that it was supposed to be a "best of" or something. The whole special felt awkwardly produced. Not just for the recycled jokes but the way it worked in documentary material with seemingly no real purpose.
The forest, the virgin forest, the life of a woodcutter—that has always been my ideal.
Melville

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:19 pm

that reminds me that they didn't do any jokes at the end of the interview WTF
Daft Pun

Postby clwon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Daft Pun wrote:jim carey is a mystic bro asshole. fucking terrible

he's not even really HERE, MANNNN
clwon
business is very food

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Melville wrote:I don't know why he'd do that, but I got the impression that it was supposed to be a "best of" or something. The whole special felt awkwardly produced. Not just for the recycled jokes but the way it worked in documentary material with seemingly no real purpose.

When he was sitting in the street with all those pages of jokes around him I thought, boy, I wish I could hear some of those. A lot of the ones he does are also in the stand up clips from the show.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Daft Pun wrote:that reminds me that they didn't do any jokes at the end of the interview WTF

This is usually my favorite part and he seems to be skipping it a bunch. Would like to see a Supercut of these.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby mothjoke » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:00 pm

I have not very familiar with this show (surprisingly) but I have been going through some episodes recently. Today I watched the one with Billy Bob Thorton. I liked the opening 420/Hitler bit. Adam also mentioned he has a Smiths tattoo. I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

Norm has a lot of guests that I'm totally uninterested in. I don't feel like I can listen to Tim Allen or Andy Dick talk for an hour. I am still trying to give this show a shot though.
mothjoke

Postby clwon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:31 pm

the ep with Andy Dick is worth your time. I'm not going to even pretend to want to watch Tim Allen.

honestly, you can probably just skip all of the new season aside from Letterman and maybe Seinfeld
clwon
business is very food

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:38 pm

seinfeld has amazing contempt for the fans that made him successful, IMO. some bootstrap, self-made man, horatio alger vibe
Daft Pun

Postby clwon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 pm

clwon
business is very food

Postby marble » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:58 pm

best episode since super dave for sure

lost it at the "the doctor said she's more virus than host at this point" line outta nowhere
bingo wrote:Suit by Dior, bag by Tesco
marble

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Daft Pun wrote:seinfeld has amazing contempt for the fans that made him successful, IMO. some bootstrap, self-made man, horatio alger vibe

He really seemed like a dick.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby grayfox » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

him smacking the water bottle across the room also got me.
grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Bartatua » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 pm

"What age did jesus die at? 33, which is also the number of vertebrae human beings have..."

"So far this sounds like a coincidence."
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby good news » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:
Daft Pun wrote:that reminds me that they didn't do any jokes at the end of the interview WTF

This is usually my favorite part and he seems to be skipping it a bunch. Would like to see a Supercut of these.

good news

Postby good news » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 pm

marble wrote:best episode since super dave for sure

:? So there have literally been no better episodes than the first episode til now?

Off the top of my head, Stephen Merchant, Nick Swardsen, Billy Bob Thornton, Fred Stoller, Fred Willard, Larry King, Gilbert Gottfried are all way better and funnier than Carrey throwing water on himself and spouting embarrassing oblivious trash wikipedia philosophy.
good news

Postby MikeyJ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 pm

what's your philosophy, good news?
Do you think anyone but the most pretentious aristocrats could have felt that way before we trapped music in vinyl? I doubt it.
MikeyJ

Postby good news » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:23 pm

lol
good news

Postby marble » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 pm

good news wrote:
marble wrote:best episode since super dave for sure

:? So there have literally been no better episodes than the first episode til now?

Off the top of my head, Stephen Merchant, Nick Swardsen, Billy Bob Thornton, Fred Stoller, Fred Willard, Larry King, Gilbert Gottfried are all way better and funnier than Carrey throwing water on himself and spouting embarrassing oblivious trash wikipedia philosophy.

i'm not saying it's good because of the bullshit high school philosophy garbage, but because it's entertaining and fun and off the rails? maybe it's just that the recent season has sucked comparatively and this episode felt more like the earlier ones?

also not sure how gilbert gottfried mocking disabled people for 2+ hours makes that episode better than this one but whatever
bingo wrote:Suit by Dior, bag by Tesco
marble

Postby good news » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Yeah, I think recall probably warps the reality of the GG one, I did get some big laughs out of the Carrey ep. Just seemed weird to be like the show hasn't lived up to the pilot until now. But you know we're not really here, these episodes don't even exist!
good news

Postby bort » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Was it a bandit?
big nipples , big life
bort

Postby Bartatua » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 pm

good news wrote:Yeah, I think recall probably warps the reality of the GG one, I did get some big laughs out of the Carrey ep. Just seemed weird to be like the show hasn't lived up to the pilot until now. But you know we're not really here, these episodes don't even exist!

i dont know if theres really any doubt that the pilot is the best
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All