Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Sad Panda » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Paul wrote:I'll sell you my GTX1080FTW for a cool $749.99

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245

It's $550 and in stock, did I miss a joke?

1080ti prices have gone up a cool $100 over the past few months though :?
pana wrote:that thing is the phallus i deserve
Sad Panda

Postby chandler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:28 pm

intel announced they're getting back into the discrete GPU game

let's hope they can push nvidia and amd
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby boost » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 pm

boost

Postby joe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm

joe wrote:need it to run folder organized lyx (or at least some latex interface) and dropbox since that's a large portion of my writing.

never used linux before like a week ago, but i finally have a crouton chroot set up with dropbox tricked into selectively synced to an sd card and the latest lyx to write/compile in

making a toy usable for work is much more fun than actually working
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 pm

I read somewhere that 0.5% of the world's power consumption is now dedicated to crypto mining
we are so fuckeddddddd
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Sad Panda » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:04 pm

I know this isn't the IT help thread, but I'm kinda out of ideas here...

On my home network I have 3 computers, all running Win 10 and current on updates. One computer has a bunch of movies/music in shared folders, and is hardwired to the router. The computer in the living room is wired to the router through a splitter, and my laptop is on wifi.

Lately the living room computer and my laptop have been dropping the connection to the shared folders. The shared drive has the red x, if I click it, the error says "local device name already in use"
It will show up under Network in File Explorer, but will say Windows cannot access it

The laptop will unfuck itself a minute or so after saying it can't connect, and I have full access etc.
The desktop is wonkier with it, I can disconnect/try to remap ('Windows cannot access'), restarting doesn't always work, etc. Twice I've fixed it by disabling/re-enabling sharing on the host computer, just now I fixed it by renaming the workgroup they're all on.

Any ideas?
pana wrote:that thing is the phallus i deserve
Sad Panda

Postby ahungbunny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 am

i found an amazon fire tablet for $15 at goodwill today. i plan on using it for d&d, mostly. tell me what i should know about it
ahungbunny

Postby Getbetter » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:12 am

I haven't had a laptop in almost ten years and I'm looking into buying a Windows based computer since I'm used to ...window growing up and do some video editing and such with the laptop or is this horrible idea. It looks as though laptop are super cheaper than I could ever remember.

Maybe something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Performan ... ref=plSrch
Last edited by Getbetter on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getbetter

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 am

Sad Panda wrote:I know this isn't the IT help thread, but I'm kinda out of ideas here...

On my home network I have 3 computers, all running Win 10 and current on updates. One computer has a bunch of movies/music in shared folders, and is hardwired to the router. The computer in the living room is wired to the router through a splitter, and my laptop is on wifi.

Lately the living room computer and my laptop have been dropping the connection to the shared folders. The shared drive has the red x, if I click it, the error says "local device name already in use"
It will show up under Network in File Explorer, but will say Windows cannot access it

The laptop will unfuck itself a minute or so after saying it can't connect, and I have full access etc.
The desktop is wonkier with it, I can disconnect/try to remap ('Windows cannot access'), restarting doesn't always work, etc. Twice I've fixed it by disabling/re-enabling sharing on the host computer, just now I fixed it by renaming the workgroup they're all on.

Any ideas?

Sounds familiar to what I get. Does the error message say "You don't have permission to access" the folder(s), or just that it can't be found? I think I fixed one of mine (shared folder not set as a mapped drive) by stopping sharing, then adding it back and reseting the folder permissions by clicking it on and off. I think I fiddled with 'smart sharing' as well in the network options.

I've found it less of a hassle to share folders between Linux Mint and Windows 10 than Win 10 to Win 10.
Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 am

Getbetter wrote:I haven't had a laptop in almost ten years and I'm looking into buying a Windows based computer since I'm used to ...window growing up and do some video editing and such with the laptop or is this horrible idea. It looks as though laptop are super cheaper than I could ever remember.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079TGL2 ... B0748YG81P

Get an XPS or an x360 if you want a Windows laptop. Also, get a fuckin' SSD regardless!
Robert

Postby Getbetter » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Robert wrote:
Getbetter wrote:I haven't had a laptop in almost ten years and I'm looking into buying a Windows based computer since I'm used to ...window growing up and do some video editing and such with the laptop or is this horrible idea. It looks as though laptop are super cheaper than I could ever remember.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079TGL2 ... B0748YG81P

Get an XPS or an x360 if you want a Windows laptop. Also, get a fuckin' SSD regardless!

Thank you Robert . I went with a x360 envy off eBay.
Getbetter

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Oh nice. I was thinking of the Spectre, but I think you'll be fine.
Robert

Postby Getbetter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:01 am

Ah, I was into getting a Spectre but my budget was $400 which this Envy was $450 .
Getbetter

Postby viachicago » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm

i dont know where else to post this but my brand new work assigned laptop running windows 10 is consistently doing these little micro-stutters. it dosent matter if im browsing a simple web page or working in excel, and it tends to come and go. but basically the whole system seizes up for like a second or so, and then unlocks and everything i was in the process of doing quickly catches up. if im listening to music, the song glitches out for the entire length of the stutter, mouse will freeze, and then suddenly it will un-seize. it only seems to happen if im moving the mouse around or scrolling/clicking. if i just let the computer sit there i havent had music glitch out while its playing. driving me nuts. i asked my IT dude but he was just like "update your drivers" which i did and didnt do shit.

HP Elitebook 840
16GB ram
i7, 2.6 ghz
200 gig SSD
viachicago

Postby brittle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 pm

viachicago, sorry i don't know...

when something like that happens on my machine i just back up everything and completely reinstall windows. granted, you sorta need multiple drives to do this, but it always seems to be quicker than trouble shooting.
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:14 pm

i switched chrome up to this just now and i'm loving it:

https://betanews.com/2018/07/26/chrome- ... al-design/
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby Cronos » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 pm

viachicago wrote:i dont know where else to post this but my brand new work assigned laptop running windows 10 is consistently doing these little micro-stutters. it dosent matter if im browsing a simple web page or working in excel, and it tends to come and go. but basically the whole system seizes up for like a second or so, and then unlocks and everything i was in the process of doing quickly catches up. if im listening to music, the song glitches out for the entire length of the stutter, mouse will freeze, and then suddenly it will un-seize. it only seems to happen if im moving the mouse around or scrolling/clicking. if i just let the computer sit there i havent had music glitch out while its playing. driving me nuts. i asked my IT dude but he was just like "update your drivers" which i did and didnt do shit.

HP Elitebook 840
16GB ram
i7, 2.6 ghz
200 gig SSD

What a shit IT dude if it's a company laptop.

You can try a DISM repair, although I havent been super successful with that and usually end up reinstalling Windows.

Is the laptop on a domain or running any anti-virus/VPN software?
Cronos

Postby Cronos » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Sounds like there is some third party thing causing issues.
Cronos

Postby Cronos » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 pm

You actually should try reinstalling drivers from the manufacturer but you need to stop Windows from automatically replacing them with whatever garbage Windows update is pushing.

I forgot I was having all these display issues a few months ago and then I reinstalled the video driver from Intels website and it solved them.

IT guy is still lazy because he should just do it for you if its company issued.
Cronos

Postby jireland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:32 am

my work has been buying everyone a base macbook if they ask for a new computer for the past year or so, and the hand-me-down desktop i had been using finally shit itself last week.

talked them into just giving me the 1300 budget and letting me pick out my own laptop. almost did the xps, but ended up going with a matebook x pro. been awesome so far, time will tell if it holds up
jireland

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:44 am

my pc is just now gettibg to the point where it doesn't meet the reqs for some of the games coming out

what do you think I'd have to spend to update to something not top of the line, but to run the current gen very well and laat a few years?

I'm pretty out of the loop

i have an i5 processor (so I'd need a new mobo to upgrade that, yeah?) and a gtx 760.

ideally I'd just grab a prebuilt but if it saves me a lot i could build. i have a pretty cool case that i imagine would still work
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:20 pm

You'd need a new CPU, mobo, GPU, and RAM. You'll probably want a NVMe SSD too.
Robert

Postby powderfinger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Bartatua wrote:my pc is just now gettibg to the point where it doesn't meet the reqs for some of the games coming out

what do you think I'd have to spend to update to something not top of the line, but to run the current gen very well and laat a few years?

I'm pretty out of the loop

i have an i5 processor (so I'd need a new mobo to upgrade that, yeah?) and a gtx 760.

ideally I'd just grab a prebuilt but if it saves me a lot i could build. i have a pretty cool case that i imagine would still work

What resolution are you trying to play? What specific CPU do you have? Check it's benchmarks vs. the current generation; progress in single threaded performance has slowed greatly in the last few years. If you want to play 1080p, you might be able to add a RX 580 or 1060 to your current build and be good for a while.
powderfinger

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:43 pm

yeah 1080p is fine. it's a 3.3 ghz i5 from a few years ago, but i'm not home to check the specific model

are people still pretty fine witg 16 gb of ddr3, or is it becoming kind of necessary to get faster ram (and do you need an upgraded mobo to do so?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Shalabi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:56 pm

8 or 16GB of RAM is fine, DDR3 is still fine, games are 90% video card dependent.

So how does this translate to real-world performance? Should we all be eager for Intel's next chipset to move us all to DDR4? Well, not really. As Anandtech found in some comprehensive benchmarks comparing DDR3 and DDR4, neither was a clear performance leader. The difference between DDR3-2133 and DDR4-2133 was negligible in a number of applications, ranging from Handbrake video conversion to half a dozen different games. DDR3 was slightly faster about half the time, and typically only a few percentages points separated the two memory types.
Shalabi

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:01 pm

that's very good to know
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 pm

So I have an Intel i5-4570, 3.2 ghz

I'm just way out of the loop and don't know much about processors these days. I benchmarked it against what looked like a current gen i7 and it was substantially slower, of course. But I don't know what to look into to determine if I could upgrade this guy on the same mobo or if I'd need a new one
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:12 pm

This looks like it would be a pretty sick upgrade for not too bad a cost for me? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261&ignorebbr=1
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Your CPU seems like it should be fine? I haven't had any trouble gaming at 1920x1200, and I have a Core i7 2600k from 2011 running at stock and a GTX 1070. As for upgrading your CPU, it's possible, but you'd most likely be looking at going to an i7 from that generation. Intel hates reusing sockets it seems. Anyway, you could probably get a 1060 or 1070Ti and be good to go.
Robert

Postby Bartatua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 pm

hmm. so maybe my better bet would be upping the gpu and finally getting an ssd instead of touching the processor?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....