New Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Bad craziness » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 pm

should be getting the xbone with Battlefield 1 and Witcher 3 GOTY by the end of the week

looking forward to completely withdrawing from the world
Bad craziness

Postby Bad craziness » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 pm

here's my running list of stuff to pick up later

what'd I miss?
Bad craziness

Postby wallet inspector » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 am

Bad craziness wrote:here's my running list of stuff to pick up later

what'd I miss?

if you're interested in firewatch and edith finch, i'd recommend tacoma and virginia
wallet inspector

Postby Adult Contemporary » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:40 am

you're missing the witcher 3, and good luck picking up anthem lol
Adult Contemporary

Postby Spoons » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 am

Why aren't you guys talking about Divinity: OS 2?
What's with all the talking about lesser games?
Spoons

Postby pablito » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 am

Milk wrote:I dont think its unreasonable. It's not just me it's a couple of thousands of people whose game is probably not usable now. It's a risk when you use mods that you have to be fully willing to take and especially in a early access game and i'll deal with it but seriously i don't think it's unreasonable at all for like the 30 people who have simply asked for an update on status to get an answer after two weeks. Like i said my main thing is that IF it is abandoned then someone else can pick it up. As i'm sure someone would. It's a popular mod.

I talked about it with my brother earlier tonight who DOES mod and he still answers people in a timely manner for mods he's done two years ago and has no intention of updating anymore. No modder owes an update to anyone, they're free to abandon when they please, but just a reply is basic manners. It's not like they've not seen them. It's literally 2 minutes of their time so people know what to expect. I don't call that entitlement in my world.

try to figure out how to update it yourself! if you care enough to wait for a response you can probably muster the tenacity for some trial+error / google / askin ur bro - based learnin and you'll at the very least come out the other side with some new skills, even if it doesnt work
Image Image
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby an otter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:22 am

likin the soviet aesthetic of that tooth and tail RTS,

got some weird carnist dystopia undertone shit
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 am

Spoons wrote:Why aren't you guys talking about Divinity: OS 2?

I'm a backer, I just don't give much of a shit because I never finished the first one.
iambic

Postby Spoons » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 am

iambic wrote:
Spoons wrote:Why aren't you guys talking about Divinity: OS 2?

I'm a backer, I just don't give much of a shit because I never finished the first one.

neither did I. stopped playing shortly before the end.
really enjoyed the 80 or so hours I put into the game though.
can't wait to co-op this shit with a friend.
Spoons

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:30 am

I just wish it was a pure combat grind game, because the combat is superb. the presentation, writing, etc. just leaves me cold.
iambic

Postby G_S » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

I could never get into it bc the world was just too Warcrafty to me. would like to try co-op sometime though
G_S

Postby banquo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 am

4 player coop could be fun
banquo

Postby Spoons » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 am

As with every game, I pretty much skipped through most dialogue/story.
The combat and interaction with the world are everything.
Spoons

Postby internetstrange » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

Milk wrote:
internetstrange wrote:
Milk wrote:someday i need to get into modding so i can stop quitting games because a modder has abandoned updating a mod that was vital to my enjoyment of a game.

I get that modders don't owe anyone anything but if nothing else i feel that a responsible modder that has a couple thousand people subbed to their mod should at the very least bother telling subscribers they've abandoned it and offer to have someone else take it over. It's like two pages of comments in the past 2 weeks politely asking if they'll update it and zero answer and MOTHERFUCKER I CAN SEE YOU'RE IN A GAME RIGHT NOW.

god im so sorry that someone who has delivered free content to you at the cost of probably dozens or hundreds of hours of their own labor for no material gain on their part doesn't respond to comments in a timely manner

I dont think its unreasonable. It's not just me it's a couple of thousands of people whose game is probably not usable now. It's a risk when you use mods that you have to be fully willing to take and especially in a early access game and i'll deal with it but seriously i don't think it's unreasonable at all for like the 30 people who have simply asked for an update on status to get an answer after two weeks. Like i said my main thing is that IF it is abandoned then someone else can pick it up. As i'm sure someone would. It's a popular mod.

I talked about it with my brother earlier tonight who DOES mod and he still answers people in a timely manner for mods he's done two years ago and has no intention of updating anymore. No modder owes an update to anyone, they're free to abandon when they please, but just a reply is basic manners. It's not like they've not seen them. It's literally 2 minutes of their time so people know what to expect. I don't call that entitlement in my world.

it isn't two minutes of their time. responding takes time, because coming up with a timeline takes time, because figuring out what you need to fix takes time, because figuring out what broke takes time, because going through the source takes time. sometimes people really don't know whether they're abandoned a project or not because they haven't had the breathing room to sit down and look at their project in weeks. and if you give a misleading or incorrect answer to someone commenting, all of a sudden you pick up the reputation of being a "lying dev" because your user base is full of selfish, entitled people

honestly, even if it DID take two minutes, it'd still be ridiculous to get mad at them for spending their free time on something besides the mod. if you don't want your game to break, don't use mods, or as pablito said learn to fix it yourself. sitting on your ass and demanding timely free labor from someone that you haven't recompensed in any way is spoiled and infantile
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetstrange
mood ring

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby chairkicker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 am

you can scratch firewatch off that list
chairkicker

Postby internetstrange » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am

people love firewatch!
internetstrange
mood ring

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby chairkicker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 am

people loved the decemberists too
chairkicker

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 am

Spoons wrote:As with every game, I pretty much skipped through most dialogue/story.

I.. cannot do this.
iambic

Postby chairkicker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 am

firewatch is the most i've felt shortchanged by a game in years. i hope campo santo goes onto to cool things, i really do, but they made a fucking dumbass game
chairkicker

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:34 am

most of my urge to play firewatch comes from wanting to see what chairkicker loathes about it, but I'm still gonna wait for a deep discount
iambic

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:34 am

meanwhile I have Virginia and still haven't played it
iambic

Postby chairkicker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am

it's just so damned on rails for a game that promised to be something of a metroid esque first person graphical adventure in the forest. and while some of the character interplay is fresh, so much of it is the most cloying shit. which i guess explains its popularity? and the story it tells through that lens is equally cloying

it's a bad twee walking sim ill never touch again
chairkicker

Postby internetstrange » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 am

people really did love the decemberists
internetstrange
mood ring

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

I didn't listen to chairkicker and picked it up last Christmas. Let's just say I should have listened to him.
Paul

Postby Marcus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am

i am kinda unreasonably excited to get cook, serve, delish 2
Marcus

Postby Spoons » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 am

(Divinity: Orgasmic Sauce 2 is LIVE now, fellas)
Spoons

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am

Post from beyonnnnnd the grave:

Etrian Odyssey V demo is now out....
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby an otter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

I realized I've had Endless Space for the longest time and never gave it a fair shake. Does anyone have any good things to say about it? I've seen it called '[one of] the best space 4X games made' so I feel like I've been sleepin on it

Edit: I simply couldn't get into Endless Legend and that gets similar praise so I might just be a no-fun idiot
Last edited by an otter on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby Jarl Skeletal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

why not just like

not make some dramatic pronouncement that you're quitting the board as a punctuation mark on being dumb in a thread

you could just...stop posting for a bit
greasefire wrote::

pablito wrote:im never dtf and always keep it covered
Jarl Skeletal

Postby gradient » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:59 am

i tried to play Virginia because the gaming press says it's just like a David Lynch movie! it runs at 10 fps on Xbox though.

edith finch is really good
gradient

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All