Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Spoons » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks guys, that makes me genuinely hopeful! I’m not very far into the game yet, maybe 3 or 4 hours.
Spoons

Postby milknight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 am

Spoons wrote:So I actually talked myself into buying a PS4, despite having an absolutely capable gaming pc with a massive Steam backlog.
(You know how buying shit can lift your depression for a coupe of hours at least)

Bought The Last of US Remastered, and... don't like it?
I thought a good Tombraiderlike would be just what the doctor ordered to cure my vidyagame fatigue, but holy shit this is WAY too scripted and linear. Who needs a fucking cutscene literally every 2 minutes?

I guess this is what console games are like, huh.
Kinda regret buying the PS4.
I feel conflicted.

the only game worth owning a ps4 for is Bloodborne so you should get that
milknight

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 am

Spoons wrote:Time to move on to the Uncharteds I guess

They are about as scripted and linear as possible if that is one of your hangups with tlou.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby generic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 am

generic

Postby pablito » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm

omg
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby Marcus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:21 pm

wow
Marcus

Postby Esteban » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Was in the area decided browse my local targét since I stayed far tf away during black Friday, picked up the physical/collectors edition of stardew valley for $10 on clearance :)
Esteban

Postby Pashmina » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:22 pm

rap and country wrote:that death skid marks game seems so up my alley mechanically but i can tell from 30 seconds watching the trailer that the presentation is far too obnoxious for me to spend any amount of time on it

yeah it annoyed me so much i actually refunded it the first time i bought it but then i ended up getting it again anyway lol
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby chairkicker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Spoons wrote:Thanks guys, that makes me genuinely hopeful! I’m not very far into the game yet, maybe 3 or 4 hours.

there's a lot of unrealized potential in the last of us but if you make it to the end and come out the other side enjoying it, you might find yourself not minding that it lacks this or that

you might even find yourself enjoying the frustratingly linear cinematic gaming of those first few hours after the fact

i mean i really wish naughty dog took more risks as game designers, but in the last of us they realized something quietly amazing
chairkicker

Postby chairkicker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm

or at least as quiet as you can realize something with that much hype
chairkicker

Postby marble » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:26 pm

the last of us is a masterpiece i think, but then again i don't really give a shit about how linear a game is
Last edited by marble on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bingo wrote:Suit by Dior, bag by Tesco
marble

Postby kirito » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:28 pm

wouldn't it be cool if the sequel had no zombies at all
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby sunrise » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 pm

narrative aside, i think the last of us is full of really sublime game design choices (that are expanding off a lot of experiments found in uncharted 2).
the story and characters are great but the way it functions within the gameplay is unlike almost anything else of that scale.
&& the dlc only improves on that.
sunrise

Postby hansibansix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 pm

i'm really enjoying ass creed... the open world is very beautiful and theres stuff to do everywhere you go, witcher 3 style... the campaign is decent enough to keep me playing. the fighting system is alright too...
hansibansix

Postby Zurich » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 pm

portia wrote:heat signature is increasingly hilarious to me, playing only stoned

I think after a few hours, i really got heat signature last night. just really understood how all the gear works and got into a few good flows, did a few insane missions

love it. would recommend people liberate teleporter systems ASAP
Zurich

Postby iambic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

btw did we talk about how the star citizen people are now selling fake tracts of land in their fake videogame?

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen ... m-licenses
iambic

Postby deadbass » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 pm

a new dawn of government regulation of virtual worlds is coming
deadbass

Postby miss black america » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 am

sunrise wrote:narrative aside, i think the last of us is full of really sublime game design choices (that are expanding off a lot of experiments found in uncharted 2).
the story and characters are great but the way it functions within the gameplay is unlike almost anything else of that scale.
&& the dlc only improves on that.

the dlc is the best thing about tlou

still think about tevis thompson's 100 word review about it often:

My favorite videogame moment so far this year focuses on the face of a teenage girl – freckled, flushed, screen-lit. She’s playing a broken arcade machine with her eyes closed, listening to her best friend narrate a Street Fighter fantasy. It’s an act of trust, of shared imagination. And in this moment, Ellie is seen.

Left Behind repurposes its AAA mechanics – the shooting (of waterguns), the lobbing (of bricks at cars), the quick-time-event (her face) – not for domination or survival but connection. It left me longing for entire games of altered verbs. Of fumbling connections. Games of seeing and being seen.
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby Milk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 am

iambic wrote:btw did we talk about how the star citizen people are now selling fake tracts of land in their fake videogame?

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen ... m-licenses

the most depressing thing about all these stories is always the CIG cult members in the comments.

While i do want this game to eventually exist, there's a sadistic part of me that wants it to never come out so that all these people who have put hundreds or even thousands of dollars into the game never see anything for their investment. This should have never been a possible financing model.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Marcus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 am

the star citizen real estate shit feels right out of some dystopian cyberpunk novel

fuck that game
Marcus

Postby Milk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

read the FAQ cause why not

Can I mine or otherwise exploit someone else’s land without permission?
Yes, although doing so is a serious crime and UEE security will respond if you are sighted. There’s a lot of real estate within a solar system and limited patrols, though, so property owners worried about the theft of their assets will often want to supplement public security forces with enhanced monitoring hardware and automated defense drones, hire their own dedicated mercenaries, or potentially join or negotiate a defense contract with a large organization.

love when they're talking about features that they haven't even started any development on as if they were a sure thing.

This game is still at least 90% fantasy.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:05 pm

nearly forgot to celebrate, 20 years ago today was released

now sure the Aki games would not get REALLY good until Revenge and they certainly peaked with No Mercy so maybe those are more memorable and sure wrestling games using that exact engine already existed in japan but this was the introduction for the western world. And it would set the template for how wrestling games should play for well...probably ever.

This game is responsible for getting me to watch wrestling again after skipping like 91 to 97. I rented it a couple of times and then it became clear that i had to buy it because otherwise i was probably gonna spend the same amount it would have cost me to buy it in rental fees.
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Milk

Postby figaro » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:39 am

^^ those aki n64 wrestling games were so good...had wrestlemania 2000 and no mercy

probably around 5-6 hours into Nier now and I dig everything about it except I'm finding the combat loop already getting a little bit boring...the couple boss fights I've done so far have been tremendous though.
figaro

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:52 am

still trying to power through the first three uncharteds and yes the last of us is like those games but a thousand percent better

don't play uncharted
ahungbunny

Postby sunrise » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:26 am

uncharted 2 rules. 4 is v good but there's no need to play that now when the dlc/whatever version exists and cuts out most of the fat.
sunrise

Postby Marcus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 am

i would pay a ridiculous amount of dollars for a WCW vs NWO Revenge that had online matchmaking
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:27 am

just wanna grab a chair out of the crowd and play with my hpn bros
Marcus

Postby iambic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:23 am

seven: days long gone is out today

I have like half a dozen games on the go currently, but the couple of reviews I found looked good
iambic

Postby Marcus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 pm

yeah im intrigued, wishlisted it
Marcus

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All