Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby broodstar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 pm

lil bro wrote:snip

well i play the same strat basically every run

my goal with every deck is to 1) cull your basic cards as fast as possible via as many question marks+shops if you can, and 2) setup a decent archetype

ironclad: pretty much everything works. you can make a strength deck out of every mishmash and it'll work well. sometimes you can make random things out of other cards (armor/exhaust/berserker) but it's all basically a strength beatdown. my highest score is 750ish

silent: all the archetypes i've tried are piss poor on a card-for-card basis except for a defensive turtle shell. whenever i play silent, i basically only run for the cycle cards to make it work: acrobats+backflip+adrenaline+powers, and then work on some sort of damage condition, the best being noxious fumes. noxious fumes is so much better than all the other poison cards, and so is a thousand cuts to a lesser degree, that i wonder if it's even worth bothering with. anything else that says poison i immediately skip. maybe i'm playing too one-dimensionally. my highest score is 670ish. the problem is that the early rounds are dicey if i don't get enough damage cards like one of quick slash+sucker punch+dagger throw against elites and bosses that you can just run out of damage before your deck gets wounded or they hit +20 str, or in later rounds i can just get blown up by timeeater or random rng bursts. my winrate is also piss poor at like 30-50%, and each run takes, no joke, twice as long according to my statistics screen

i almost always aim for question >>> camp+shop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> boss >>> minion

astrolabe is almost singlehandedly the best relic on ironclad because you can just replace two strikes with random better cards, whereas with silent i get all this nonsense that clogs up my deck even worse than basics that it seems like a trap. in fact, i find almost all the relics get worse with silent because of how specific you need your deck to be that the only good ones are the low downside +energy ectoplasm/sozu/cursed key

if my leaderboards worked id honestly just check whoevers doing better there, but im not convinced by silent at all. maybe ill have to do random poison or shiv runs

there's also three special "event relics" i haven't encountered yet which i'm wondering what you're supposed to do to trigger. anything that says cursed i usually immediately press skip
broodstar

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Sega should do a handheld, that'd be dope
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby traced out » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

chairkicker wrote:
traced out wrote:
hot decaf wrote:Love what I played of Golf Story but the music annoyed the shit out of me.

Been playing Okami HD for the PS4 and I forgot how incredible it is. It was completely eclipsed by Twilight Princess in my memory, even though I feel like time has proven it to be the better game.

its not a very good game (mechanically, level design) but its one if the best jrpgs ever

okami or golf story?

okami

golf story was fun for a few hours but then it's just golf and a half-assed rpg
traced out

Postby broodstar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 pm

alright screenshot broke but fucking 2.5 hour run for silent because my only damage was endless agony and blade dance. 754 high score

whos down for deep sky derelicts
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 pm

lol this might be the most broken deck ive ever drafted. i was at ~10 cards of all just cycle and energy for a bit

alright last blogpost on sts i swear. this is that blessed rng for all those stupid hearthstone games ive endured

edit: guess uve gotta bumrush elites for high scores. and the thing that didnt let me see what my enemy was doing fucked up my hp score

broodstar

Postby Kenny » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 am

Are there any rumblings of a FF8 uprezzing for PS4? I have wanted to play through it again for a while but if it's coming out that'd be dope. I'm sort of surprised they skipped it and did 9 first
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby broodstar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 pm

maybe no one cares but i actually stumbled upon a site that lets u sort games by steam rating. ive been baffled as to why this has been so hard to find previously. even 3rd party things like steamspy or steamdb haven't done much

eg highest rated turn-based combat after 2016, highest rated card games

i also see expeditions viking crawled up to an 81% from like 70%

edit:
Is it okay to support developers with ideologies you don’t support?
Lopez, Today at 12:38 AM ... 7 8 9 10 11

holy shit death of the author in videogames on resetera
broodstar

Postby lil bro » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm

yeah i'm a big baby and never ever take energy for no intents/+2 strength. just does not seem worth it, especially when curse cards are a removal/discard at worst or a boon to your strength at best.

my road map is almost always looking for question marks/camps, although on floor 1 i incentivize elites since a lot of the later ones are fucking assholes who i try my best to avoid unless i'm pretty baller deck wise

i think i said it before but malaise is an amazing card in any deck, even sacrificing a decent hit to get more out of it really helps later in fights. have had some bosses down to like -8 strength at times. its really easy to get overwhelmed by damage/debuffs/buffs to the enemy so i always try to get a piercing wail or two and a malaise card in any archetype. well laid plans as well. even against time eater a good malaise/debuff play can make even high draw shiv runs without accuracy work.

i do agree with you about some runs being boring/long, i've stepped away for a few days after i have a just-barely-decent silent run on floor 3 that feels like it's taken 3 hours. kinda just want to die and do a quick beefy str ironclad run

edit welp looked at my scores and they are hilariously shit so maybe dont listen to me
frig
lil bro

Postby No Not Now » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Who is gonna sign up for the alpha w/ me?
https://www.huntshowdown.com/signup
No Not Now

Postby surly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

done
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby chairkicker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm

likewise
chairkicker

Postby broodstar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 pm

ive never ever played a battle royale and the whole concept looks abysmal to me someone sell me on it
broodstar

Postby chairkicker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 pm

i;d always meant to post this video here because the developer commentary is hilarious

chairkicker

Postby all day breakfast » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

do u like camping
all day breakfast

Postby No Not Now » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm

No Not Now

Postby broodstar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 pm

i was a big camper in counter-strike 16-24 man servers but i have to wonder how much of that was predicated precisely on trolling everybody else in the game

i watched a bit of that hunt stuff and fighting bosses and banishing things to hell seems engaging, but whenever i've watched pubg it seems like exact opposite or dumbed-down so i've never given it a chance

the look of huge aaa games is also off-putting to me more than not these days :smug gamer face:
broodstar

Postby Tom Cruise » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm

No Not Now wrote:Image

katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby chairkicker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

broodstar wrote:i was a big camper in counter-strike 16-24 man servers but i have to wonder how much of that was predicated precisely on trolling everybody else in the game

i watched a bit of that hunt stuff and fighting bosses and banishing things to hell seems engaging, but whenever i've watched pubg it seems like exact opposite or dumbed-down so i've never given it a chance

the look of huge aaa games is also off-putting to me more than not these days :smug gamer face:

pubg's got its issues but what exactly makes it dumbed down?
chairkicker

Postby an otter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 pm

all day breakfast wrote:do u like skulking from drab, empty set-piece to drab empty set-piece scavenging loot only to get picked off by a camper you never saw 20 minutes later bolting through an open field to the next drab set-piece
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby kirito » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 pm

mp encounters =/ setpieces
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby Marcus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm

I will hunt in the showdown
Marcus

Postby broodstar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 pm

chairkicker wrote:pubg's got its issues but what exactly makes it dumbed down?

yeah idk i'm probably just taking people/things i've read too seriously. there's a lot of people in this thread who call it a campfest, for example, or ppl i talk to in "pro" cs or overwatch or whatever call pubg the dumbed down/no-skill/rng fiesta/streamer-type game, kinda like hearthstone is to card games. but as i like to bring up again and again, dota used to be called that to wc3 diehards, and now it's touted as the most difficult competitive game ever or some such nonsense, so it's not something i take too seriously. i generally to judge things for myself and should probably do the same with these battle royale things, but nothing's piqued my interest as of yet

back to your daily dose of slay the spire:
boo yea high score, as silent against the timeeater no less, and i segmented the run so i forgot about a couple things and probably could've hit the 800s.

i'm aware i idiosyncratically rattle off about a ton of random dumb games in this thread, but this game has serious potential to become the next big hit. moreso than deep sky derelicts or any other card game or niche game i've mentioned in passing, i urge everyone to try this game out. it's a lot of fun for anyone who likes roguelikes or cardgames, and feels rewarding (unlike hearthstone or gwent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

p.s. @lil bro, i tried a shiv build and a poison build. both looked amazing on the first two floors and then sucked ass when it came to crunch time that i'm pretty sure there's only one viable silent build
broodstar

Postby internetfriend » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:53 pm

battle royale doesn't actually reward camping very much at all compared to a lot of other fps genres. and pubg has a lot of factors in place to make it a pretty frustrating experience

also
kirito wrote:mp encounters =/ setpieces

anyway I love to play Kindred in League all the livelong day
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby john plainman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 am

u should probably make a slay the spire thread at this point
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Esteban » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:10 am

Finally played thru the hitman patient zero campaign & it's good but short. Only 4 eps, one of which is a sniping challenge from a tower above the Colorado map, it's a lil steep at $20 I'd wait for another sale tbh.
Esteban

Postby benj » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 am

wow dusk looks insanely my crap
benj

Postby Grey Poupon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 am

chairkicker wrote:i;d always meant to post this video here because the developer commentary is hilarious

I imagined the Darkthrone guys sitting there
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Arturo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:59 am

Is A Hat in Time fun?
Arturo

Postby trouble » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:06 am

i dont think I laughed at a movie at a theater since I saw The Spy Who Shagged Me
trouble
ride.

Postby Stuntman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 am

FighterZ beta still down. :x
Stuntman
AKA Ron

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All