Videogame Thread

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby iambic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Paul wrote:Iambic being in to Destiny feels like the ultimate betrayal.

iambic the board's biggest Halo apologist like a Bungie gun game?
iambic

Postby Pashmina » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:28 pm

an otter wrote:are you guys gonna play the new mutant football league

will absolutely want to play this with boarders
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:30 pm

this is totally unrelated to anything in thsi thread but it just seemed like itd get the most traction here

terry davis has a warrant
https://secure3.lasvegasnevada.gov/ewar ... 0%2047A%27

so sorry to the poster who was against memeing ppl with severe schizophrenia (gambra?)
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 pm

oh and the impression i get from other ppl is that the .//hack stuff is the def'n of mediocre but the last recode is on steam and im on break so thats likely what im doing
broodstar

Postby trouble » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 am

seems like everyone who had high marks for wolfenstein 2 played it on one of the two easiest difficulties
My listeners can try it today just use promo code: TROUBEL for 20% off your next avatar change.
trouble
ride.

Postby Milk » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 am

^ the way games are meant to be played.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby an otter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am

more skywanderers prettiness

https://imgur.com/a/igDqB
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby broodstar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:22 pm

broodstar wrote:oh and the impression i get from other ppl is that the .//hack stuff is the def'n of mediocre but the last recode is on steam and im on break so thats likely what im doing

the pc port is quite bad

sorta on topic: i've been playing random (s)nes oddities like ff1, smt1, sweet home (said to be precursor to resident evil series or first survival horror game, but its a weird jrpg), lagrange point (8-bit scifi thing; this looks uncannily gorgeous for a nes game) and i wonder how much pleasure we find in games is/can be derived purely from souped up difficulties. and how much 'merit' that has
broodstar

Postby chairkicker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:14 pm

trouble wrote:seems like everyone who had high marks for wolfenstein 2 played it on one of the two easiest difficulties

hell, even the easiest difficulty is a spam fest
chairkicker

Postby Tetradyne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Fuck, I have a feeling I'm going to walk into Target and walk out with an Ass Creed Egypt today
Tetradyne

Postby Tetradyne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:04 pm

I did it folks! It's pretty!
Tetradyne

Postby Architecture » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 pm

If my dad declines the freebie games that are included with his GPU, I'll probably redeem his copy of Ass Creed Originals
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby broodstar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 am

holy shit my dreams came true a dedicated fantasy flight video game studio

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... interview/

------------

here's a crpg about 90s subcultures that either sounds great or twee as hell

Odd Gods is a 90s-style RPG about the 1990s. An isometric tactical role playing game about subcultures, music, spacetime travel, and facing your pop culture demons.
Odd Gods is an indie cRPG in early development from Inn Between Worlds, a new studio formed by industry vets in Melbourne, Australia.

Features
There is no chosen one. A grungy, low fantasy story set at the end of the 1990s.
Classic 'isometric' camera on 3D characters and scenes.
Colourful, 'low budget B-Movie' Art style
Subculture class system based on 1990s archetypes (Skateboarders, Goths, Ravers, Jocks, Nerds etc).
Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).
Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).
Narrative features branching paths and multiple endings.
Hand-crafted exploration, narrative and combat content. No level-scaling, no procedural generation, no random encounters.
Original subculture soundtrack recorded with period instruments (where possible).
90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. Permadeath, mostly.
Take modern weapons back to older eras (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern) and vice-versa, but keep an eye on your ammo count and penicillin, for example.
.... No elves, no magic swords, orcs, or any of that guff.
Estimated length: 12hrs including side content:
(a) we're a small indie studio and don't have the capacity for more
(b) we actually want players to finish the game.

------------

and i'm about 2 hours deep into .hack//g.u. and it's the corniest game ever that i can't stop laughing at sometimes. directly after the prologue there's an "8 months later..." flash-forward where the protagonist suddenly has a cyber love interest, and gets embedded in some matrix-type shit

much of the dialogue is a rip from bad internet speak. your party members regularly say things like "OMG i love The World lol :)". there's an expansive out-of-world system where you can drop in on current world news and a bunch of fictional internet forum posts, but most of it is written in fanfic quality, and some still not even in proper english. i suppose it's targeted for the young demographic, or it's like the shounen equivalent for video games (and that's alright). would heartily not recommend unless u see all jrpgs thru rose-coloured glasses in which case for some reason people really enjoy this

pc port is hella iffy (crashes unless u have latest .net updates or something, all these recent ports blow up my gfx unless shadows are turned off, really iffy controls that have me using 3 different directional pads). combat might've approached something interesting but the base game seemed already ridiculously easy, and the remake makes it almost twice as easy to the point where dying just earns u a 'retry' button where u fell that restores u to full hp. hence any progression/use of items feels inconsequential. doing any extra content on the side pretty much makes u overleveled. it almost becomes a glorified visual novel at some point, and cinematics do indeed take like 10 minutes at a time, which play like a bad anime
broodstar

Postby Milk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:00 am

in gonna assume "period instruments (when possible)" is supposed to be a joke.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby an otter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am

broodstar wrote:here's a crpg about 90s subcultures that either sounds great or twee as hell

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/08b1f7_4828e1bba60f4b2aadc2beb4eaa9ce62~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1508,h_771,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/08b1f7_4828e1bba60f4b2aadc2beb4eaa9ce62~mv2.jpg
Odd Gods is a 90s-style RPG about the 1990s. An isometric tactical role playing game about subcultures, music, spacetime travel, and facing your pop culture demons.
Odd Gods is an indie cRPG in early development from Inn Between Worlds, a new studio formed by industry vets in Melbourne, Australia.

Features
There is no chosen one. A grungy, low fantasy story set at the end of the 1990s.
Classic 'isometric' camera on 3D characters and scenes.
Colourful, 'low budget B-Movie' Art style
Subculture class system based on 1990s archetypes (Skateboarders, Goths, Ravers, Jocks, Nerds etc).
Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).
Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).
Narrative features branching paths and multiple endings.
Hand-crafted exploration, narrative and combat content. No level-scaling, no procedural generation, no random encounters.
Original subculture soundtrack recorded with period instruments (where possible).
90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. Permadeath, mostly.
Take modern weapons back to older eras (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern) and vice-versa, but keep an eye on your ammo count and penicillin, for example.
.... No elves, no magic swords, orcs, or any of that guff.
Estimated length: 12hrs including side content:
(a) we're a small indie studio and don't have the capacity for more
(b) we actually want players to finish the game.

https://www.inn-between-worlds.com/media

yeah, that's some good stuff, gonna be following along with this
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby wendy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I’m back on my bullshit everyone. Spent like 10 hours playing skyrim yesterday. Today I woke up at 6 and made a spreadsheet for all the items I own

Totally cool and normal
wendy

Postby wendy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Oh and I have an Xbox One now :D

Obv I had to start my game over again but it’s worth it, especially because I kinda know what I’m doing and going for this time so I’m avoiding things I did early in my original game that ended up being a waste of time/money

Gonna learn how to enchant soon, v excited
wendy

Postby wendy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:02 pm

And I am NOT buying stupid Breezehome

I’m level 6 and already part of the companions, the thieves guild, and the college of winterhold, plus I have sven as a follower so I can take all his stuff and I’m not going to get emotionally attached this time (looking @ u Lydia)
wendy

Postby wendy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I’m not scared of dragons anymore but wolves and skeevers jumping out still make me shriek irl, as does the sound the game makes when you discover a new location
wendy

Postby wendy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Sorry I’ll stop posting about it now
wendy

Postby jbiz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:51 pm

anyone gonna play battlefront 2 on ps4? i won’t be pc gaming for a while until we can remodel our master bedroom so figure i’ll give it a shot.
jbiz

Postby boonie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 pm

I love your skyrim narrative arc, wendy.
boonie
the saddest magpie

Postby Milk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm

wendy wrote:I’m back on my bullshit everyone. Spent like 10 hours playing skyrim yesterday. Today I woke up at 6 and made a spreadsheet for all the items I own

Totally cool and normal

I don't remember the last game i played i didn't use an excel file for.

Of course that shouldn't reassure anybody that they're normal because i do it....
Milk

Postby pablito » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:19 pm

what do the two of you put in this excel file?
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby broodstar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:26 pm

havent u ever had to do video game taxes
broodstar

Postby Milk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Well Wendy detailed hers.

Some time this year i decided to stop having separate excel files for each game and just use one on which i open new tabs for each game i need excel for.

It's open right now because i use it for my things in BDO such as keeping track of the fishes species i still havent caught (you CAN see it in game but those menus are no good...) and also the daily quests route i made and other stuff like that.

The very first tab is when i played rimworld, it details every colonist in my latest game, when they joined, what age they were then, what is their agenow., if they died when and how. I also detail when important events happen like raids and such.

There's a tab for when i played WWE 2k17, i use it to keep track of my matches results for storyline purposes.

There's a tab for when i resumed playing Warframe a few months ago (ive since stopped) it had all the rare stuff and weapon schematics and pieces i still needed to get.

There's a tab for Rocket League in which i'd write down individual match results and stats (for a sports game this does a very poor job at keeping anything but very basic stats).

Some more tabs i forget off the top of my head. But there's almost always something i need to write down. Maybe not if i play a straightforward game. Like when i played Just Cause 3 through, i didn't need spreadsheets for that game.

When i played Elite dangerous i had a big excel file with probably 10 different tabs. It ranges from the ships i have to my combat stats (the game doesn't do a good enough job at keeping track of those, i need to write down every kill and what the ship was and what their skill level was and what their name was and what bounty they brought if any.........), to trade routes to my favorite locations in the game to whatever else i have in there.

It is a disorder of some sort i realise. I'm not even ever gonna get into the shit i'd write down when i played CKII.....
Milk

Postby pablito » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm

on the one hand im curious how an in-game UI for listing fishes that have been caught could possibly be less convenient than an excel window that you have to tab to and manually update every time the fish situation develops, but on the other hand i could totally see using it for rimworld and paradox games and dwarf fortress
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby Marcus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

interested in odd gods, thanks for posting broodstar
Marcus

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Tetradyne wrote:Fuck, I have a feeling I'm going to walk into Target and walk out with an Ass Creed Egypt today

Wait until black friday if you didn't buy it over the weekend.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby iambic » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

can we get wendy to play witcher 3 instead of skyrim
iambic

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All