New Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby gradient » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Marcus wrote:RDR is one of the greatest games ever but it's not like top 10 or anything. It was a LOT of fun to lasso fuckers, tomahawk dudes in the face, take in the western atmosphere but most of all ... to get fucking drunk and stumble around in the mud and rain outside the saloons

yeah my love for RDR mostly stems from its tone.
gradient
ride.

Postby marble » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:09 pm

RDR owns. this revisionism sucks balls
bingo wrote:Suit by Dior, bag by Tesco
marble

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm

RDR is a nice place to look at
iambic

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Jeremy wrote:I know it's designed to throw back to the Baldur's Gate games, but I also haven't been through those, so to me it's like they've gone out of their way to have this setting that's got all kinds of skews on the standard fantasy thing with the post-war and colonial dynamics but then that just makes it weird to me that it's still full of Elves and rangers and all that stuff. I know this is the opposite of the point of making the game in the first place but it just makes me think of the Bas-Lag books and like, if you're depicting a different social order, why is it decked out in Standard Fantasy set dressing?

I keep trying to write a reply to this and getting interrupted by work, but it's my biggest criticism of Pillars and seems to be something they had some internal contortions over. some fans have projected this tension onto Avellone's separation from Obsidian and suggested that Sawyer was the one pushing the more staid/traditional aspects, but I don't know if that's fair. I think they also boxed themselves in with all the "Infinity Engine spiritual successor!" talk they pitched the Kickstarter with. my biggest hope for the sequel is it gets a little wilder and leans more into the colonialism/Godhammer bomb/guns/soul science (and pseudoscience)/Enlightenment/(huge endgame spoiler)the gods are AIToggle Spoiler stuff. like, why would you be an elven druid when you can be a cipher.

edit: to take that further, if they just blew up the remaining trappings of AD&D, they could have built the entire game around you being a cipher detective, and that would have ruled.
iambic

Postby neopolitan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 pm

My biggest problem with Pillars is how 2/3s of the NPCs were kickstarter gimmicks.

Baldurs Gate 1.5 Siege of Dragonspear did the best in harking back to Black Isle.
I reduced the temples of Elam to naught; their gods and goddesses I scattered to the winds. The tombs of their ancient and recent kings I devastated, I exposed to the sun, and I carried away their bones toward the land of Ashur.
neopolitan

Postby boonie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 pm

The shooting in RDR is awful which sucks when every mission is go here and shoot those guys hiding behind rocks.
boonie
the saddest magpie

Postby iambic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm

^
iambic

Postby john plainman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Misery 2.2 for STALKER is so fuckin good. Best post-apocalyptic gaming experience hands down
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby trouble » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:16 pm

iambic wrote:RDR is a nice place to look at

basically
It's like I missed a shot. It's like I dropped the ball.
Damn. I'm Sorry.
trouble
ride.

Postby just trouble » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Really enjoying burning thru the Dead Space series rn. Rec'd if anyone's in the mood for a linear low stress 3rd person shooter.
just trouble

Postby Shotfrog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Man when I first encountered those things with the giant eyes in The Depths I just about crapped myself.
Shotfrog

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 pm

what's the story with these total war warhammer games, do any of you nerds play em
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby figaro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Shotfrog wrote:Man when I first encountered those things with the giant eyes in The Depths I just about crapped myself.

and then when you get a real good look and see those aren't its only eyes

ImageToggle Spoiler

:shock:
figaro

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:what's the story with these total war warhammer games, do any of you nerds play em

I've played Rome, Medieval and Empire. The battles are fucking amazing in the Total War games but I'm not very good at managing everything else in my empire. Even on medium difficulty I usually get my ass kicked in those games. I don't know how to make any of my citizens happy. I don't think I've ever completed a full campaign either. I could arguably run an empire better than Trump, but that's it.
Paul

Postby Guy Incognito » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:44 pm

hm i'm starting to think this series is what my life has been missing all these years
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby Bartatua » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 pm

neopolitan wrote:My biggest problem with Pillars is how 2/3s of the NPCs were kickstarter gimmicks.

yeah i hated this a lot
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby broodstar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:57 pm

broodstar wrote:ive been wondering since we have a bunch of falcom fans how many have played xenoblade chronicles and agree it is also Good Shit and for those who havent, why

i feel like yall definitely havent played xenoblade chronicles

anyway, http://store.steampowered.com/app/629690/Vaporum/
a lot of forums say it's good! [surprisingly]

but: i really really think dungeon crawling should be turn-based. might just emulate my first etrian odyssey or something if i wanna do something like that instead
broodstar

Postby walt whitman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:00 am

RDR bored me to tears and i usually have a tolerance for that sort of game.
walt whitman

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 am

if you turned off "painting" targetting in rdr gunplay got a lot more interesting and difficult

still annoyed that you kill hundreds of people in the course of the journey like it's nothing. don't really know how to rectify absurd videogame trope logic and still keep it engaging though
ahungbunny

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:23 am

broodstar wrote:
broodstar wrote:ive been wondering since we have a bunch of falcom fans how many have played xenoblade chronicles and agree it is also Good Shit and for those who havent, why

i feel like yall definitely havent played xenoblade chronicles

anyway, http://store.steampowered.com/app/629690/Vaporum/
a lot of forums say it's good! [surprisingly]

but: i really really think dungeon crawling should be turn-based. might just emulate my first etrian odyssey or something if i wanna do something like that instead

Ah man I was wondering what happened to this thing. I really prefer turn-based crawls as well but Grimrock 2 was so good that it hammered me into at least minimal competence for this Dungeon Master-like stuff.
Jeremy

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 am

Speaking of 'nice place to look at', the new mode for Assassin's Creed where you're basically just a history tourist getting lectured about ancient Egypt sounds very much like my thing and if I get the game I may just skip the proper campaign for it.
No Good Advice

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 am

They are shutting down the Wii shop channel (If you still have a Wii or Wii U) on January 31st.

I don't think there are loads of exclusives anymore at this point, but I can think of these three that are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_The_Adventure_ReBirth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradius_ReBirth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_ReBirth
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby trouble » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:05 am

a lot of wiiware titles can be salvaged via emulation thankfully
Damn. I'm Sorry.
trouble
ride.

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 am

Yeah true but in case you want em on the real hardware.

Here's some more I found through a quick look at the list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Master:_Overdrive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles:_My_Life_as_a_Darklord
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles:_My_Life_as_a_King

I've actually heard good things about those "My Life" games. Though I thought they were ported somewhere finally and it doesn't seem like that from a quick glance.

I might get the Castlevania one

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby trouble » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 am

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: "My Life" - Borat
Damn. I'm Sorry.
trouble
ride.

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:37 am

Surprised there never was a Borat game actually

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Milk » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 am

Paul wrote:
Guy Incognito wrote:what's the story with these total war warhammer games, do any of you nerds play em

I've played Rome, Medieval and Empire. The battles are fucking amazing in the Total War games but I'm not very good at managing everything else in my empire. Even on medium difficulty I usually get my ass kicked in those games. I don't know how to make any of my citizens happy. I don't think I've ever completed a full campaign either. I could arguably run an empire better than Trump, but that's it.

i don't know how total war games are now but i played rome and medieval II in the days and the problem with these games aside from the fact they are boring as strategy games (i mean the map part which is just map painting and means the game gets more and more boring as you go on because it doesn't take long before you are untouchable) is that there was always some AI issues that you could exploit which made the battles a lot less interesting than they should have been. But that was ten years ago. I don't know if modern total war games have this issue. I also think they should just have called them Total Warhammer.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Spoons » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:51 am

I called it Total Warhammer in the post about the game that I made yesterday and that everyone ignores so far. Stop bullying me.
Spoons

Postby Marcus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:08 am

hey guys

Marcus wrote:Cuphead

Cuphead Cuphead Cuphead Cuphead Cuphead Cuphead
Marcus

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 am

i'm sorry i ignored your post spoons
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

PreviousNext