New Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby miss black america » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 am

as ever:

miss black america wrote:which is your favourite mission in red dead, guys

the one where you shoot waves of people going in somewhere and then waves of people coming out again or the one where you herd cattle

gta v was the best game rockstar has put out (table tennis aside) so i do think they'll manage to make read dead 2 live up to the concept art this time
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby chairkicker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:40 am

ahungbunny wrote:if you turned off "painting" targetting in rdr gunplay got a lot more interesting and difficult

still annoyed that you kill hundreds of people in the course of the journey like it's nothing. don't really know how to rectify absurd videogame trope logic and still keep it engaging though

i think the solution could be as basic as throw fewer dudes at the player but give them more interesting behaviors

one of the big problems with uncharted, if less so in the last two, is that naughty dog feels the need to shove a thousand dudes in your face so that gunfights feel "meaty" without having to be significantly different from any other fight in the game. i dont think anyone would feel like something's missing given briefer, less frequent encounters as long as there was some interesting gameplay variation from one to the next

combat was never tomb raider's strength but the first game was smart in how it leveraged distinct animal life for different encounters
chairkicker

Postby an otter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am

i know some people here give it shit but i've been fuccin engrossed by stellaris lately
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby Bartatua » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:34 am

Turn-based warhammer or warhammer 40k game with more than just 2 or 3 factions. All i want really
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 am

iambic wrote:
Jeremy wrote:I know it's designed to throw back to the Baldur's Gate games, but I also haven't been through those, so to me it's like they've gone out of their way to have this setting that's got all kinds of skews on the standard fantasy thing with the post-war and colonial dynamics but then that just makes it weird to me that it's still full of Elves and rangers and all that stuff. I know this is the opposite of the point of making the game in the first place but it just makes me think of the Bas-Lag books and like, if you're depicting a different social order, why is it decked out in Standard Fantasy set dressing?

I keep trying to write a reply to this and getting interrupted by work, but it's my biggest criticism of Pillars and seems to be something they had some internal contortions over. some fans have projected this tension onto Avellone's separation from Obsidian and suggested that Sawyer was the one pushing the more staid/traditional aspects, but I don't know if that's fair. I think they also boxed themselves in with all the "Infinity Engine spiritual successor!" talk they pitched the Kickstarter with. my biggest hope for the sequel is it gets a little wilder and leans more into the colonialism/Godhammer bomb/guns/soul science (and pseudoscience)/Enlightenment/(huge endgame spoiler)the gods are AIToggle Spoiler stuff. like, why would you be an elven druid when you can be a cipher.

edit: to take that further, if they just blew up the remaining trappings of AD&D, they could have built the entire game around you being a cipher detective, and that would have ruled.

The weirdest thing to me is that it's totally possible to do something interesting by making messing with expectations about the standard fantasy stuff, as with something like Dark Sun (which now that I think of it, holy fuck does it suck that there isn't an old Infinity Engine Dark Sun game) or to transpose it all to a completely different era and social framework, along the lines of like Eberron, but Pillars doesn't really seem to even try to go either way with it. They just have all their distinctive stuff that they're trying, but then they also just have weird medieval holdovers that don't really make sense and fantasy races that aren't really well-integrated to what's interesting about what they're doing, because it's an RPG so you need to be able to play an Elvish wizard.

Now that I've been playing Pillars I really see Tyranny as intentionally busting up a lot of the stuff that's preventing me from getting fully into it, which makes me appreciate it all the more. Another thing that I think Tyranny really nails that's missing in Pillars is exactly that "cipher detective" idea. Like in Tyranny, you have this official capacity; you can be whatever kind of character you want, but you have a really direct inherent connection with what's going on because regardless of what kind of person your character is, the fact that they're this functionary structures the way people interact with you, and then you can either roll with or mess with the framework that establishes. Pillars could really have used something like this rather than the ambiguous background stuff, especially since its worldbuilding and lore feel both much more ambitious and much less connected to the actual beat-to-beat story.

Also during character creation I just went with a rogue because it's an RPG and I always just do a rogue called Lester in RPGs; it's not really clear at the outset that ciphers actually have all this interesting stuff. I figured "Oh that's probably like the psionicist".
Jeremy

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:02 am

an otter wrote:i know some people here give it shit but i've been fuccin engrossed by stellaris lately

yeah actually same here. I dunno what it is about the latest patch, but it seems like a fun, vibrant, dynamic, game suddenly and I'm just walking around thinking about my star empire all the time.
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:07 am

broodstar wrote:wouldn't really force myself to play any, and replaying bg2/planescape is certainly an option, nwn2 has a bunch of fleshed-out mods i'm told. maybe even more of the deep cuts--i was inspired to play wizardry, beyond divinity, and realms of arkania because of recent revival. oh, and there's also jeff vogel's spiderweb software, which has a lot of devotees and might be up your alley

edit: and here's a blogpost from jeff vogel on how torment+tyranny are bloated. much more convincing than stupid codex editorials

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.ca/2017/05/does-your-video-game-have-too-many.html

I love Jeff Vogel and this post rules.
Jeremy

Postby Shotfrog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:15 am

figaro wrote:
Shotfrog wrote:Man when I first encountered those things with the giant eyes in The Depths I just about crapped myself.

and then when you get a real good look and see those aren't its only eyes

ImageToggle Spoiler

:shock:

I HATE THESE THINGS
Shotfrog

Postby broodstar » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:19 am

Bartatua wrote:Turn-based warhammer or warhammer 40k game with more than just 2 or 3 factions. All i want really

there was space martyr earlier this year

also while im on my tangent of xenoblade chronicles being under-appreciated (without having ever played rdr bc no connsole plus im not a rockstar guy thank-you-very-much), i'm decently excited for radiant historia chronology:
https://kotaku.com/the-under-appreciate ... 1793479220

it's for 3ds and not out anytime soon, but i rarely see anyone talk about it. battles play like grid-based final fantasy, but the most striking part abt the game is that you make decisions and then time travel and see the impact of them in branching storylines. i think it's neat-o, but play it for the plot more than the gameplay
Last edited by broodstar on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
broodstar

Postby iambic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am

I started playing the new Torment today and heck if I haven't enjoyed the beginning of this

the character sheet/crisis stuff seems far more fun to poke around than other systems I've been slogging through lately
iambic

Postby Bartatua » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 am

iambic wrote:I started playing the new Torment today and heck if I haven't enjoyed the beginning of this

the character sheet/crisis stuff seems far more fun to poke around than other systems I've been slogging through lately

Oh i forgot about this

So character creation is detailed and good?

If i never played the original (i know) should i still pick this up?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby broodstar » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

Jeremy wrote:
Ah man I was wondering what happened to this thing. I really prefer turn-based crawls as well but Grimrock 2 was so good that it hammered me into at least minimal competence for this Dungeon Master-like stuff.

i think i'm gonna give it a shot, but one alternative is helherron: http://helherron.co.nf/. i think it's from the same group of games as nahlakh/natuk, and i've heard mixed things about the whole package, but hey, it's turn-based

also one more random plug for nintendo games: devil survivor. i only recently found out that that's the result of a lot of growlanser devs too
broodstar

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 am

Kenny wrote:They are shutting down the Wii shop channel (If you still have a Wii or Wii U) on January 31st.

Oh weird, it's January 31st, 2019

But you won't be able to get points added to the wallet after March 31st, 2018
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby iambic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 am

Bartatua wrote:
iambic wrote:I started playing the new Torment today and heck if I haven't enjoyed the beginning of this

Oh i forgot about this

I'd probably recommend you just play the original, but it's only a "spiritual successor" and there is no knowledge from the first game you would need.
iambic

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 am

Bartatua wrote:

Oh i forgot about this

Character creation/building in Numenera is extremely schematic but I'd say it's one of the game's strongest points. It's very clean and transparent. But if you distribute your specializations right you'll basically never fail a check.

If you've never played the original this one will seem better than it is. I think the original is a better exploration of the themes this one runs with in a setting that suits them better, and Planescape has really great art direction and writing throughout, but I have to admit that if I were going from scratch I prefer looking at hi-res science fantasy art and going through turn-based combat that isn't based on D&D 2E.
Jeremy

Postby Bartatua » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 am

Turn-based combat in the new one? I'm probably picking this up
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 am

Also play a Jack.
Jeremy

Postby neopolitan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 am

An isometric Dark Sun game is a dream of mine.

As an aside, the opening to Wake of the Ravager is a classic:

I reduced the temples of Elam to naught; their gods and goddesses I scattered to the winds. The tombs of their ancient and recent kings I devastated, I exposed to the sun, and I carried away their bones toward the land of Ashur.
neopolitan

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:54 am

Whoah don don that Darkside of Xeen completely lifted the idea of a Dragon Pharaoh from Dark Sun.

Jeremy

Postby G_S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am

let's just make an overhaul mod for the new divinty
G_S

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Jeremy wrote:Also play a Jack.

Man this game seemed built around nanos if you planned to do anything other than a low int boom boom run. I did a few hours as a jack but started over a few months later as a speechy nano, which I much preferred (and actually finished the game with).

I did as little combat as possible and the times I couldn't talk I mostly hadda run away from things in crisis mode, which was cool but basically those four or five times were all the interaction I wanted with crisis mode.

Kinda hard disagree with the Vogel article. I can't formulate the argument the way I want to, but tyranny and numenara scratch the itch that games like Kotor 2 and nwn 2 infected me with (I only played The CRPG Canon in my early 20s so the former were my touchstones). When I think of word bloat and ridiculousness, I think of divinity and amalur: the reckoningz, but I guess I'm easier to please than most.
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby iambic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm playing a speechy jack, so I dunno
iambic

Postby iambic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:20 pm

I would say I opt for a female rogue/thief/charmer in 90% of the rpgs that have some variant of this as an option
iambic

Postby DestructoBot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:20 pm

i played the shit out of the first dark sun game
DestructoBot

Postby WHITEBOYWASTED » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Okay, I was exaggerating a bit, there. I found I was using my int pool far more frequently than speed for speech and figuring out how things work checks, which a nano has a little help with. Not to mention scan thoughts, which is actually a pretty hefty ability (I don't know if jack gets access to this later through leveling. I did find a cypher late game that gave you it). And I think nano has a few more class ability options to beef lore checks and the like later on.

Of course you can build a jack and heavily favor int and it won't be too far off in the end. I guess I just didn't find the other aspects the jack favors worth my while for the playthrough (minus quick finger checks, which happened more frequently than I'd have thought).
WHITEBOYWASTED

Postby iambic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 pm

I think this "teaser" video, for a game that is coming out in like five weeks, is what is going to finally kill my football manager habit

iambic

Postby internetfriend » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm

should I try to cajole people into Returning to Lordran with me? does dks1 have enough multiplayer that it even matters if other people are really playing? if it does have any coop it seems like it could be a fun thing. a lot of boardies havent played dks1 i guess. idk.i just like to play games with friends and am pretty tired of pubg. and destiny 2 isnt out for a real long time
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby iambic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:16 pm

I don't think you can reliably coordinate dks multiplayer

have you tried overwatch? we often play it drunk on fridays
iambic

Postby internetfriend » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm

yeah it was boring
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby No Not Now » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Quick Play is a whole different experience from Competitive tbh.

Can’t wait for some Friday night Overwatch.
No Not Now

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All