New Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Semper Fudge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:17 pm

man Stick of Truth is pretty fun, thanks for the rec, thread
and the legend of Curly's gold
Semper Fudge

Postby Milk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:52 pm

it took the end credits of Just Cause 3 to realise the propaganda radio guy you hear all throughout the game was David Tennant. I shall return my Doctor Who fan club member card now.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby wendy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 pm

This is not a new game but where else can I log that skyrim has completely ruined my life
wendy

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:31 pm

I think it's a new "videogame thread" not a "new videogame" thread

Or else I'm in for a big don don
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby trouble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:33 pm

no it's the new videogame thread. any game not released in the past two years needs to be posted in the retro gaming thread
Image OH I LOVE TO DISH IT OUTImage

trouble

Postby wendy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Kenny wrote:I think it's a new "videogame thread" not a "new videogame" thread

Or else I'm in for a big don don

Oh wow
wendy

Postby surly » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

no that's right. the board ate the original thread so this is the new one
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

someone's getting don'd right now.... is it me? Or is it you? ...
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby wendy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Phone's about to die bc I'm looking up potions

Was at 100% at 5pm
wendy

Postby Milk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

last time I was there my brother took a lot of time copying me all the countless skyrim mods he gathered to very significantly improve the gaming experience and got to work with one another and he made a text file explaining all i needed to do to make sure they were all gonna work and load properly and it's been like two months and i haven't installed it. To be fair he told me last time i spoke to him that he quit playing it anyway cause the map was small and boring and that's been my impression at a glance too.

Right now what's happening is exactly what i said would a few days ago. I'm getting gaming withdrawal from having nothing to play and i am super irritable for no reason and overall pretty despondent. The only thing i can think to do to make up for it is eat.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby trouble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm

surly wrote:no that's right. the board ate the original thread so this is the new one

everyone thinks this, but it is not true. only the hottest new titles please.

trouble

Postby trouble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm

and just a reminder we passed the threshold for MSGV, Super Mario Maker, and Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX so again please move all discussions to the retro games thread.

trouble

Postby boonie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:36 am

wendy wrote:This is not a new game but where else can I log that skyrim has completely ruined my life

Glad that worked out for you :D
boonie
the saddest magpie

Postby Spoons » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 am

Been playing nothing but Skyrim (again) for 6 or 7 weeks now. Only gonna (temporarily) stop because Divinty OS2 is out tomorrow.
Spoons

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 pm

someday i need to get into modding so i can stop quitting games because a modder has abandoned updating a mod that was vital to my enjoyment of a game.

I get that modders don't owe anyone anything but if nothing else i feel that a responsible modder that has a couple thousand people subbed to their mod should at the very least bother telling subscribers they've abandoned it and offer to have someone else take it over. It's like two pages of comments in the past 2 weeks politely asking if they'll update it and zero answer and MOTHERFUCKER I CAN SEE YOU'RE IN A GAME RIGHT NOW.
Milk

Postby internetstrange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Milk wrote:someday i need to get into modding so i can stop quitting games because a modder has abandoned updating a mod that was vital to my enjoyment of a game.

I get that modders don't owe anyone anything but if nothing else i feel that a responsible modder that has a couple thousand people subbed to their mod should at the very least bother telling subscribers they've abandoned it and offer to have someone else take it over. It's like two pages of comments in the past 2 weeks politely asking if they'll update it and zero answer and MOTHERFUCKER I CAN SEE YOU'RE IN A GAME RIGHT NOW.

god im so sorry that someone who has delivered free content to you at the cost of probably dozens or hundreds of hours of their own labor for no material gain on their part doesn't respond to comments in a timely manner
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetstrange
mood ring

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby internetstrange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 pm

two weeks? are you fucking kidding me?
internetstrange
mood ring

Location: a forked path where the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms of the Milky Way come together.

Postby trouble » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm

it does kind of suck when a game update breaks mods which can ruin saves if the modders don't update, but that always seemed to be part of the risk.

don't really deal with mods anymore after i wasted almost 10 hours trying to mod skyrim into a fun game.

trouble

Postby john plainman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

i love modding. the new MISERY update for stalker: call of pripyat comes out this month! i cant wait!!
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I love the XCOM 2 mod scene

Gotcha Again basically fixes every issue the vanilla game has with LoS and pod activation bullshit
iambic

Postby JongleurGrey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:40 pm

I haven't played WoTC, is it basically all the good things from LW2 and none of the bad?
if you are offended by this i am sorry - starwars420@juno.com
JongleurGrey

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 pm

JongleurGrey wrote:I haven't played WoTC, is it basically all the good things from LW2 and none of the bad?

hm, nah. there are some vaguely LW2-ish things like a fatigue system and "covert ops" and sitreps and more mission variety in general. and I guess the new soldier types sort of inhabit some of the same terrain as some of the new LW2 classes. but really it's just a whole bunch of new junk stuffed into the existing package in a way that is often preposterous, but is great fun, actually.

my biggest complaint is that instead of Enemy Unknown it should be called, get this, Enemy Always on the Phone. because the faction leaders and Chosen won't ever stop calling you up to chat about whatever it is you've all done together lately. I don't even know how they all have the Commander's contact details, but there it is.
iambic

Postby Guy Incognito » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Milk wrote:last time I was there my brother took a lot of time copying me all the countless skyrim mods he gathered to very significantly improve the gaming experience and got to work with one another and he made a text file explaining all i needed to do to make sure they were all gonna work and load properly and it's been like two months and i haven't installed it. To be fair he told me last time i spoke to him that he quit playing it anyway cause the map was small and boring and that's been my impression at a glance too.

Right now what's happening is exactly what i said would a few days ago. I'm getting gaming withdrawal from having nothing to play and i am super irritable for no reason and overall pretty despondent. The only thing i can think to do to make up for it is eat.

i went down the skyrim mod rabbit whole a bunch of months ago and the biggest problem is that all the coolest and most necessary mods (especially the ones that actually populate the map and cities with people) make the game incredibly unstable so it crashes constantly.
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby internetstrange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm

http://www.develop-online.net/news/more-steam-games-have-been-released-since-june-than-the-combined-total-between-2006-2014/0235151

Figures are now beginning to appear that show the scale of the discoverability and potential saturation is at an all time high. Daniel Ahmad, an analyst at Niko Partners who looks at the Chinese and Southeast Asian games market, has tweeted that figures for 2017 are already higher than 2015 and are higher than the combined totals of 2006-2014. It looks set to eclipse the record set in 2016 for games released in a year on the platform.

eugggh
internetstrange
mood ring

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:
Milk wrote:last time I was there my brother took a lot of time copying me all the countless skyrim mods he gathered to very significantly improve the gaming experience and got to work with one another and he made a text file explaining all i needed to do to make sure they were all gonna work and load properly and it's been like two months and i haven't installed it. To be fair he told me last time i spoke to him that he quit playing it anyway cause the map was small and boring and that's been my impression at a glance too.

i went down the skyrim mod rabbit whole a bunch of months ago and the biggest problem is that all the coolest and most necessary mods (especially the ones that actually populate the map and cities with people) make the game incredibly unstable so it crashes constantly.

yeah i was there when he was tryign to make it worth at first and it was crashing all the goddam time. Turns out most of the issue was graphical mods. Most of them can't work together.
Milk

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm

wish i wasnt so shallow about graphics. Tried to play LOTRO and gave up after an hour because it looked like hot garbage. To be fair it was way too mmorpg for me to get into anwyay. Ui absolutely cluttered with shit. Dumb boring combat. Still i might given it a good shot if it wasn't a 10 years old mmo. Meaning that graphically it's like a 15 years old single player rpg. At the very least. It's just that i need immersion and graphics really help with this. Mind you i don't know, if gameplay is very compelling i'll get over it. Like in 7 days to die (or minecraft but MC is a different beast altogether, the graphics are part of the package).

I might pay the 11 bucks for Black Desert online. At least that's a pretty mmorpg. Not a huge loss of it sucks. Of course i need to get hooked on a micropayments mmorpg like i need an enema.

Wait actually i might need an enema.
Milk

Postby Guy Incognito » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 pm

i'm sure black desert online sucks and i am not really one for multi player games but man the idea of just being able to have my chill little farm in the far corner of a giant, scary, complex world where i get the option of adventuring (or more likely, not adventuring) is everything i want in a video game.
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 pm

^

yep

i paid the 11 bucks and am installing right now. You know the best thing about me is that WHEN i actually pay for games it's usually not very good ones (WWE 2k17, Elite Dangerous, The crew...). At the very least having paid for it ill feel obligated to try it for a 3 or 4 hours before deciding it sucks. I'm not generally very good at sticking to games if i'm not immediately hooked in the first two hours.
Milk

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 pm

internetstrange wrote:
Milk wrote:someday i need to get into modding so i can stop quitting games because a modder has abandoned updating a mod that was vital to my enjoyment of a game.

god im so sorry that someone who has delivered free content to you at the cost of probably dozens or hundreds of hours of their own labor for no material gain on their part doesn't respond to comments in a timely manner

I dont think its unreasonable. It's not just me it's a couple of thousands of people whose game is probably not usable now. It's a risk when you use mods that you have to be fully willing to take and especially in a early access game and i'll deal with it but seriously i don't think it's unreasonable at all for like the 30 people who have simply asked for an update on status to get an answer after two weeks. Like i said my main thing is that IF it is abandoned then someone else can pick it up. As i'm sure someone would. It's a popular mod.

I talked about it with my brother earlier tonight who DOES mod and he still answers people in a timely manner for mods he's done two years ago and has no intention of updating anymore. No modder owes an update to anyone, they're free to abandon when they please, but just a reply is basic manners. It's not like they've not seen them. It's literally 2 minutes of their time so people know what to expect. I don't call that entitlement in my world.
Milk

Postby jca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:i'm sure black desert online sucks and i am not really one for multi player games but man the idea of just being able to have my chill little farm in the far corner of a giant, scary, complex world where i get the option of adventuring (or more likely, not adventuring) is everything i want in a video game.

dude u gotta get on ffxiv it's super chill and we have a house
jca

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All