Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby iambic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm

internetfriend wrote:
broodstar wrote:not a clue what the first thing you posted is

if you want some fast achievements, doing easy and clearing 3 islands without equipping a new weapon/pilot and destroying all time pods (or without failing an objective, but that's generally easier) and various others is like 6-in-1

it's a heuristic for determining how enemies move based on the desirability of a given square

so pawns won't move into pods or holes (unless they're flying)? I don't code, obviously.
iambic

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm

almost got the dreaded no-spawn-map but i had four squares exactly
broodstar

Postby Pashmina » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:46 pm

you guys are nuts
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 pm

iambic wrote:
internetfriend wrote:
broodstar wrote:not a clue what the first thing you posted is

if you want some fast achievements, doing easy and clearing 3 islands without equipping a new weapon/pilot and destroying all time pods (or without failing an objective, but that's generally easier) and various others is like 6-in-1

it's a heuristic for determining how enemies move based on the desirability of a given square

so pawns won't move into pods or holes (unless they're flying)? I don't code, obviously.

seems that way! (to the first part, not the second part)
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Pashmina » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Jeremy wrote:These Desktop Dungeon comparisons are ensuring that I buy this immediately when I get home.

yeah like desktop dungeons it's more of a puzzle game than a rogue-like or whatever

think you'll dig it
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby iambic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

the thing that staggers me about both this and Invisible is making procedurally generated content feel tailored

they both use some degree of seeding/randomization to create map layouts, foes, objectives, etc., but when you're playing, it almost feels like a human intelligence posed this specific puzzle and so there will always be some elegant and sufficient solution available to you if you've learned the rules and thought super hard
iambic

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm

there's a list of unique pilot skills in the code, too. some of them are pretty nuts, dunno how many are actually in the game
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Pashmina » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:59 pm

how do you have the code
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:02 pm

internetfriend wrote:there's a list of unique pilot skills in the code, too. some of them are pretty nuts, dunno how many are actually in the game

hm?

all the (15?) pilots have a unique starting skill, and then two randomized passives between +2 mech hp, +3 grid def, +1 mech move, +1 mech reactor i think. not sure what other skills there are that wouldn't be implemented--maybe for additional pilots?

min/maxing for move and reactor is going to be a pain in the butt
internetfriend wrote:seems that way! (to the first part, not the second part)

but to the second part too

frackin noob
broodstar

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Pashmina wrote:how do you have the code

a lot of the game's actual nuts-and-bolts source is compiled in dlls that i can't access, but there's are a bunch of files in a language called Lua in the steam directory. Lua is usually used by designers so that they don't need to really learn to code to do their job well, so they can, like, change a pilot's name from John to Jim and his health from 14 to 16 and test those changes out without having to learn C++, or go bother a programmer to make that one small change, or wait for the code to recompile. (it also keeps the code's structure way cleaner)

so the designer makes the change, boots the game, the game grabs PILOT_NAME and PILOT_HEALTH from the Lua files at the right time, and the designer gets to instantly see how their changes affect things. a lot of games are structured this way, and it results in big ol Lua files that mostly just contain names and tooltip text and achievement text and stuff, like this:

Code: Select all
TILE_TOOLTIPS = {
   fire = {"Fire Tile", "Lights units on Fire."},
   forest = {"Forest Tile", "If damaged, lights on Fire."},
   forest_fire = {"Forest Fire", "Lights units on Fire. This fire was started when a Forest Tile was damaged."},
   smoke = {"Smoke Tile", "Units in Smoke cannot attack or repair."},
   electric_smoke = {"Electric Smoke", "Units in Smoke cannot attack or repair. \nElectricity damages enemy units."},
   emerging = { "Vek Emerging", "Enemy emerging next turn. Can be blocked."},
   critical = { "Critical", "This building is important to mission objectives." },
   pylon = { "Power Pylon", "Remote Power Pylons connect your Mechs to the Grid even underground. Not populated."},
   supervolcano = { "Super Volcano", "Indestructible volcano that blocks movement and projectiles."},
   powered = { "Civilian Building", "Your Power Grid is reduced when Grid Structures are damaged." },
   evacuated = { "Evacuated Building", "No effect when damaged." },
   building_rubble = { "Building Rubble", "No special effect." },
   mnt_rubble = {"Mountain Rubble", "No special effect." },
   ice = {"Ice Tile", "Turns into Water when destroyed. Must be hit twice."},
   acid_ice = {"A.C.I.D. Ice", "Turns into an A.C.I.D. tile when destroyed, but currently safe to stand on."},
   lava_ice = {"Frozen Lava", "Turns into a Lava tile when destroyed, but currently safe to stand on."},
   damaged_ice = {"Damaged Ice Tile", "Turns into a Water tile when destroyed. One hit will destroy it."},
   chasm = {"Chasm Tile", "Ground units pushed in will be \ndestroyed."},
   ground = { "Ground Tile", "No special effect."},
   sand = { "Sand Tile", "If damaged, turns into Smoke. \nUnits in Smoke cannot attack or repair." },
   mountain = { "Mountain Tile", "Blocks movement and projectiles. Damage twice to destroy." },
   damaged_mountain = { "Damaged Mountain", "Blocks movement and projectiles. One hit will destroy it." },
   water = { "Water Tile", "Units cannot attack in Water. Most non-flying enemies die in Water."},
   acid_water = { "A.C.I.D. Tile", "Behaves like Water, but inflicts A.C.I.D. on surviving units."},
   lava = {"Lava Tile", "Behaves like Water, but inflicts Fire on surviving units."},
   acid = { "A.C.I.D. Pool", "Inflicts A.C.I.D. on the 1st unit that steps on this space."},
   frozen_acid = { "Frozen A.C.I.D.", "Low temperatures have rendered the A.C.I.D. on this tile inert."},
   pod = {"Time Pod", "Destroyed if damaged or trampled by the enemy. Collect with a Mech, or defend until Vek retreat."},
   ftl_pod = {"Strange Pod", "Destroyed if damaged or trampled by the enemy. Collect with a Mech, or defend until Vek retreat."},
   ftl_button = {"Strange Object", "You're not sure what this could be."},
   ftl_button_destroyed = {"Destroyed Object", "You're not sure what this was, but it's gone now."},
   frozen_powered = { "Frozen Building", "Invincible while Frozen. Any damage will destroy the ice." },
   spawning = {"Emerging", "Vek will emerge here next turn. Any unit blocking this space will take one damage."},
   high_tide = {"High Tide","This tile will become Water at the start of the enemy turn."},
   air_strike = {"Air Strike", "Bombs will be dropped here, instantly killing any unit."},
   old_earth_mine = {"Old Earth Mine", "Any unit that stops on this space will trigger the mine and be killed."},
   freeze_mine = {"Freeze Mine", "Any unit that stops on this space will be Frozen."},
   evacuation = {"Evacuating", "This building will be evacuated \nnext turn."},
   seismic = {"Seismic Activity", "This tile will become a Chasm at the start of the enemy turn."},
   lightning = {"Lightning Strike", "Lightning will strike here, killing any unit."},
   falling_rock = {"Falling Rock", "A rock will fall here, killing any unit."},
   tentacle_lava = {"Tentacles", "The unit here will die and the tile will turn into Lava."},
   volcano_lava = {"Lava Flow", "The tile here will turn into Lava."},
   flying_rock = {"Volcanic Projectile", "A fireball will strike here, destroying anything present."},
   ice_storm = {"Ice Storm", "The storm causes anything present to become Frozen."},
   grassland = {"Grassland", "Your bonus objective is to terraform Grassland tiles into Sand."},
   terraformed = {"Terraformed", "This tile was terraformed as part of your bonus objective."},
   stasis = {"Stasis Bot", "This bot will power up and enter the fight if its Shield is damaged."},

belt = {"Conveyor Belt", "This tile will push any unit in the direction marked on the belt."},

tele = {"Teleporter Pad", "End movement here to warp to the matching pad. Swap with any present unit."},

supply_drop = { "Supply Drop", "Collect this with a Mech to heal ALL friendly units and restore ALL limited use weapons." },   
}
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 pm

broodstar wrote:
internetfriend wrote:there's a list of unique pilot skills in the code, too. some of them are pretty nuts, dunno how many are actually in the game

hm?

all the (15?) pilots have a unique starting skill, and then two randomized passives between +2 mech hp, +3 grid def, +1 mech move, +1 mech reactor i think. not sure what other skills there are that wouldn't be implemented--maybe for additional pilots?

min/maxing for move and reactor is going to be a pain in the butt
internetfriend wrote:seems that way! (to the first part, not the second part)

but to the second part too

frackin noob

there are 20 unique starting skills, noob ass
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Pashmina » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm

oh gotcha

so like back in the day when i would randomly change shit with a hex editor until i found out how to get 100 guns in jagged alliance or whatever
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Pashmina wrote:oh gotcha

so like back in the day when i would randomly change shit with a hex editor until i found out how to get 100 guns in jagged alliance or whatever

exactly
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 pm

wait what's even the point of choosing +2 grid def when you perfect an island

you can just buy a pilot and sell it for +3

u stupit noob
broodstar

Postby Pashmina » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 pm

can we not call people noobs regarding a game that's been out for like 36 hours

it's hurtful
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:29 pm

broodstar wrote:wait what's even the point of choosing +2 grid def when you perfect an island

you can just buy a pilot and sell it for +3

u stupit noob

isn't pilot rep worth scaled off of level?
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm

i think it's always 3

maybe it's cause i'm playing on hard or maybe i'm hallucinating and power grid gives +4

p.s. failed a final mission second floor because it turns out shields do NOT block falling rocks
broodstar

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:34 pm

i've sold pilots for 1-2
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby marble » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm

i'm bad at the breach fellas. haven't even passed the first island :oops:
marble

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:40 pm

i've sold generic pilots for 1. i guess some of the named pilots might be worth 2 vs 3?

still seems weird to offer you a strictly superior option between choices
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 pm

i guess i should be rushing and only doing the first two islands if i want to unlock everything huh

rusting hulks was hella fun though
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm

i've encountered some inconsistencies so i'm not sure if this is correct, but if you look at your save data, you can tell what skills your pilots are going to get

"Abe Isamu", ["skill1"] = 2, ["skill2"] = 3

0 = mech hp
1 = mech move
2 = grid def
3 = reactor

i generally value reactor the most followed by move, and grid def is entirely useless to me, so i can keep restarting until i find 3, 1

armored + self-damage = good, zenith guard still sux
broodstar

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:09 pm

zenith guard sux so much
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm

end with less than four mech damage, and yet the more i upgrade this mech the faster i kill myself

ok
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:24 pm

3 enemies just walked into a land mine which somehow counts as hitting 4 enemies with a laser

i'll take it

frack dis squad succ so much

i hope the others arent as bad
broodstar

Postby internetfriend » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:27 pm

does whatever mech you have in position #1 have a laser equipped in their first weapon slot?
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:30 pm

yeah

doesn't really account for 3 enemies dying as hitting 4 though

this squad is literal hard mode, i can barely pass the first round of combat let alone complete objectives
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pm

what was even the point of upgrading shit if it just kills myself

fracking frack stupit
broodstar

Postby dr. badvibes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm

The power core economy is definitely a little stinked up in this... You never seem to have enough to pump into a spec weapon over just tending to your base stats
dr. badvibes

Postby Marcus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Marcus

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....