New Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby portia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm

isnt bladerunner like a notorious pain in the ass to get working with dosbox or whatever else
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby chairkicker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 pm

gog's pretty good about fixing those issues if they can and compiling community fixes into their releases
chairkicker

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm

i quite easily got it to work in Windows 10 by downloading the whole game from archive.org and using an updated installer someone in the community made that patches it in the process

tbh it's worked like a charm for me

have to keep Disc 1 mounted when you start up tho and i'm only on Act 2 so who knows
Last edited by Marcus on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

Postby portia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Marcus wrote:i quite easily got it to work in Windows 10 by downloading the whole game from archive.org and using an updated installer someone in the community made that patches it in the process

tbh it's worked like a charm for me

oh sick

i downloaded a long time ago and never got it to work
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 pm

damn can you link to the updated installer
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:kenny, can't tell if you're joking or not
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby chairkicker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 pm

yeah, looks like blade runner was never a dos game. only windows
chairkicker

Postby portia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm

well whatever i just remember it not working!!!
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby chairkicker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:43 pm

i mean i assumed it was dos, honestly
chairkicker

Postby iambic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 pm

yeah it has a reputation for being difficult to get working, but maybe the fan patch Marcus mentioned addressed it
iambic

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:46 pm

I stumbled onto this tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxC0BDOS0_I

but basically the gist is:
1. dl the game from archive.org
2. dl the updated installer and HDFRAMES rar from https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7dFmKYHfUlUam1uUkdnQlFpa0k?usp=sharing
3. Mount Disc 1, start the installer
4. When it asks to insert Disc 2, Unmount Disc 1, Mount Disc 2 (repeat this process through Disc 4)
5. Make sure each time you mount the new disc that it's the same drive letter that Disc 1 had
6. When done, replace the original HDFRAMES file in the game's directory with the one you downloaded.
7. Run Blade2012 in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 and yr good
Last edited by Marcus on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Marcus

Postby iambic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:46 pm

there's an original boxed copy in my parents' attic

also system shock 2, baldur's gate, deus ex, some other damn classics
iambic

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Now playing Blade Runner, thanks a bunch for the tip Marcus

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 pm

glad to help, it rules
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 pm

was playing earlier tonight and this cracked me up

Marcus

Postby landscape » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 pm

escape from tarkov beta looks interesting but also not really what im looking for games wise right now

wild that it was made in unity
landscape

Postby pablito » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 am

Kenny wrote:Played through The Sea Will Claim Everything today. Competely beautiful game. Really moved me, and loved the little jokes. It was odd how much I knew, like he even had a Stephen Fry's Moab Is My Washpot joke.

Anyways I loved it a lot a lot

Might be the frist game I ever got 100 steam achievements on

I got this cuz of this post and i just started actually playing it and i love it so!
Image Image
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 am

That's awesome. That game has really stuck with me. There's a (short) epilogue to the game for free here http://landsofdream.net/games/a-postcard-from-afthonia/

It seems that the guy who made that game has stalled out on his next one in the series, which is unfortunate. :(

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby iambic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 am

10 years ago today was the craziest good deal in the history of us gamers

iambic

Postby Much Honoured Lord Nefarious » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 am

man, valve was the best.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious

Postby john plainman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 am

I read the Tarkov Reddit every so often and it seems like a toxic community and a buggy frustrating experience
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby jca » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am

pablito wrote:
Kenny wrote:Played through The Sea Will Claim Everything today. Competely beautiful game. Really moved me, and loved the little jokes. It was odd how much I knew, like he even had a Stephen Fry's Moab Is My Washpot joke.

Anyways I loved it a lot a lot

Might be the frist game I ever got 100 steam achievements on

I got this cuz of this post and i just started actually playing it and i love it so!

good game. moonlight has more stephen fry stuff. Jonas Kyratzes is a writer for the Talos Principle too
jca

Postby Marcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:59 am

i've put prob 10-15 hours into the Tarkov beta. the gunplay is really good and it's VERY intense but imo the experience right now badly needs questlines. currently as a free-for-all it's just sorta lifeless and the only reason to play right now is to get better loot

a lot of the loot runs right now require relying on cheap mechanics like hatchet runs, because it's so easy to die. No one wants to spawn in with their good guns so instead they jump in with just a knife or hatchet, attempt to sneak up on somebody, loot their AR or shotgun and backpacks and then get to extraction. Finding good loot is in the game world is also pretty rare and frankly not worth the risk.

There is supposed to be quests and stuff coming upon release, so it might improve. But right now it's a pretty game with good gunplay that really needs some fun and life injected into it.

haven't played it in a month or so
Marcus

Postby trouble » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am

finishing Steamworld Dig 2, it was fun enough, it had a really neat upgrades/perk system and was overall a better game than the first but also like the first I felt it finished super abruptly just as I was getting topped off on my equipment. oh well.

now im replaying Metal Gear Solid V on a clean save. Just got back to the blinded me with science outpost and I'm already giddy. really do love this game even if half of it is completely fucked.
My new signature!
trouble

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

That's the same feeling I had about Steamworld Dig 1, just as it was getting really good it was over. I didn't feel much compelled by the replay value either, though I enjoyed it for being a cheapish indie game on my 3DS

Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby chairkicker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 pm

iambic wrote:10 years ago today was the craziest good deal in the history of us gamers

if it takes valve doing battle royale with half life mechanics to give us more half life, i think im finally ready to let them do that to half life
chairkicker

Postby generic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 pm

this morning I realized that I have to make a game called 199X and now I'm pissed that there's already a game called that. perfect title for a 90's pastiche game. it's the date they give you for the first part of Shin Megami Tensei and it also reminds me of the Prince of Darkness sample in Endtroducing. the other game's just some dinky rpgmaker thing but it's on steam.
generic

Postby jca » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Santa Ana, CA (October 10, 2017) – Takuro Yamashita, President and CEO of NIS America, has
released an official statement below regarding the localization of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA:
An apology from Takuro Yamashita, President and CEO of NIS America, Inc.

To All Customers of Ys VIII,
Thank you for all the feedback and support we have received since the launch of Ys VIII. It has
come to my attention that the quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable
level by our own standards, but most importantly by yours. As president of NIS America, Inc. I
want to apologize to you personally for this grave error. This situation should not have happened
– especially to a game as wonderful as Ys VIII and by a company that strives to deliver the very
best customer experience in each title. We have begun internally to investigate the causes of this
situation as well as to implement steps to ensure that a similar situation does not occur again.
As for Ys VIII itself, we will have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix
grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and
characterizations. For the script, where necessary, we will re-translate and re-edit the game
including updating voicework to reflect these changes. We plan to have this work done by the
end of November and will offer the updated localization free of charge for both the PlayStation
4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game via patch. The Steam version of the game will
include this localization in its initial release.

We humbly request your patience in this process.

Again, as the president and CEO of NIS America, Inc, I deeply apologize and vow to you that we
will bring the quality of the localization of Ys VIII up to the high standards that it and you deserve.
Please allow us this opportunity to restore your faith in NIS America, Inc.

Sincerely,
Takuro Yamashita

:shock:
jca

Postby broodstar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 pm

i wouldnt know because pc release is STILL DELAYED

THANKS nisa
broodstar

Postby portia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:38 pm

it's incredible that nisa exists and brings so much stuff over
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby portia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:38 pm

i always wanted to try to work there doing editorial stuff or something but i imagine everyone makes like 30k
portia
I LOVE CATS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All