Videogame Thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby boonie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 pm

I love your skyrim narrative arc, wendy.
boonie
the saddest magpie

Postby Milk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm

wendy wrote:I’m back on my bullshit everyone. Spent like 10 hours playing skyrim yesterday. Today I woke up at 6 and made a spreadsheet for all the items I own

Totally cool and normal

I don't remember the last game i played i didn't use an excel file for.

Of course that shouldn't reassure anybody that they're normal because i do it....
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby pablito » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:19 pm

what do the two of you put in this excel file?
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby broodstar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:26 pm

havent u ever had to do video game taxes
broodstar

Postby Milk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Well Wendy detailed hers.

Some time this year i decided to stop having separate excel files for each game and just use one on which i open new tabs for each game i need excel for.

It's open right now because i use it for my things in BDO such as keeping track of the fishes species i still havent caught (you CAN see it in game but those menus are no good...) and also the daily quests route i made and other stuff like that.

The very first tab is when i played rimworld, it details every colonist in my latest game, when they joined, what age they were then, what is their agenow., if they died when and how. I also detail when important events happen like raids and such.

There's a tab for when i played WWE 2k17, i use it to keep track of my matches results for storyline purposes.

There's a tab for when i resumed playing Warframe a few months ago (ive since stopped) it had all the rare stuff and weapon schematics and pieces i still needed to get.

There's a tab for Rocket League in which i'd write down individual match results and stats (for a sports game this does a very poor job at keeping anything but very basic stats).

Some more tabs i forget off the top of my head. But there's almost always something i need to write down. Maybe not if i play a straightforward game. Like when i played Just Cause 3 through, i didn't need spreadsheets for that game.

When i played Elite dangerous i had a big excel file with probably 10 different tabs. It ranges from the ships i have to my combat stats (the game doesn't do a good enough job at keeping track of those, i need to write down every kill and what the ship was and what their skill level was and what their name was and what bounty they brought if any.........), to trade routes to my favorite locations in the game to whatever else i have in there.

It is a disorder of some sort i realise. I'm not even ever gonna get into the shit i'd write down when i played CKII.....
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby pablito » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm

on the one hand im curious how an in-game UI for listing fishes that have been caught could possibly be less convenient than an excel window that you have to tab to and manually update every time the fish situation develops, but on the other hand i could totally see using it for rimworld and paradox games and dwarf fortress
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby Marcus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

interested in odd gods, thanks for posting broodstar
Marcus

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Tetradyne wrote:Fuck, I have a feeling I'm going to walk into Target and walk out with an Ass Creed Egypt today

Wait until black friday if you didn't buy it over the weekend.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby iambic » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

can we get wendy to play witcher 3 instead of skyrim
iambic

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

iambic wrote:can we get the world to play witcher 3 instead of skyrim
Ferrous Bueller

Postby boonie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Don't listen to them
boonie
the saddest magpie

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 pm

iambic wrote:can we get wendy to play witcher 3 instead of skyrim

I'm considering it but I would also like another skyrim. :twisted:
larry the cable guy tooth fairy 28 wrote:Actually, rigatoni is good

This is my Instagram
Paul

Postby Tetradyne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:42 pm

whatabout tim wrote:
Tetradyne wrote:Fuck, I have a feeling I'm going to walk into Target and walk out with an Ass Creed Egypt today

Wait until black friday if you didn't buy it over the weekend.

TOO LATE! But I'm thinking about picking up Wolfenstein or COD on that day.
Tetradyne

Postby gambra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Watch_Dogs free for a few days from tomorrow through uPlay. Its a decent enough play through for nothing.

https://freetrial.ubisoft.com/promotion ... -dogs-1/8/
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby No Not Now » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 pm

I loved Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. One of the prettiest games I've ever played, the particle effects and lighting in particular were out of this world especially when combined with some truly cinematic set pieces. The game is well optimized too... Im running max settings at a fairly consistent 200fps. It looks amazing on my 144hz monitor (really glad id tech 6 allows for this!!!). I think Mick Gordon's score might be his best yet. Loved the ominous dark synths when combat wasn't raging. Overall I think the story is the selling point and it felt like a more realized version of what they did with TNO. It ponders some ideas that FPS's rarely do, if ever. Planning on playing through a second time with the other timeline.

I agree with Chairkicker that this game is brutally difficult and the hitscan enemies will shred you in a millisecond on the hardest setting. I too was disappointed by this because the trailer made it look as though they were going to change the combat and take notes from Doom 2016. Im guessing that the lean mechanic, which is truly unique, is someone's baby at Machinegames and they insist on its frequent use being part of the gameplay. The load screens always seemed to be suggesting to lower the difficulty or lean and hide when overwhelmed.

Really excited for Freedom Chronicles tomorrow! They just patched in Episode Zero and some challenge modes which unlock when the vault opens in the hub area!
No Not Now

Postby wendy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

I downloaded and then quickly disabled a Harry Potter mod because Draco wouldn’t stop owning me
wendy

Postby Spoons » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 am

wendy have you ever played Rigmor of Bruma?
it's my favourite Skyrim mod.
looks like just another companion mod, but it comes with 20+ hours of story content.
ok bye.
Spoons

Postby wendy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:19 am

i haven't played it but i don't think it would work well for my needs since i have to kinda keep the elder scrolls lore at arm's length in order to force the game to fit a harry potter narrative, on account of i'm a lunatic
wendy

Postby Tetradyne » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 pm

I really like Assassin's Creed Origins. Mind you, I have not played any of them since the first entry. It's been the perfect game to chill out to. The progression system is fun and constantly stumbling upon new things to do is awesome. 9/10
Tetradyne

Postby No Not Now » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:12 pm

ooof freedom chronicles episode zero stinks. took about 15 minutes to complete all 3 chapters. They had an opportunity to add new types of gameplay but all three characters have recycled abilities from the Wolf 2 campaign. How boring. You dont even get a feel for any of these new personalities.

this was just a dumb pre-order bonus but I feel like it does a poor job of hooking people into wanting to buy the dlc.
No Not Now

Postby fuckles » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 pm

wendy wrote:i haven't played it but i don't think it would work well for my needs since i have to kinda keep the elder scrolls lore at arm's length in order to force the game to fit a harry potter narrative, on account of i'm a lunatic

do not dive deep into elder scrolls lore as it posits your player character is part of a simulation. this is not a joke.
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby trouble » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:01 pm

also it's not well written
GET LIVE, SAM
trouble
ride.

Postby Milk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Ignoring a game's lore and story to fit my desired narrative is one of my top 3 things to do in games.
Milk

Postby wendy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 pm

fuckles wrote:
wendy wrote:i haven't played it but i don't think it would work well for my needs since i have to kinda keep the elder scrolls lore at arm's length in order to force the game to fit a harry potter narrative, on account of i'm a lunatic

do not dive deep into elder scrolls lore as it posits your player character is part of a simulation. this is not a joke.

IS THIS A JKOE
wendy

Postby just trouble » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 pm

about to fire up horizon zero dawn the frozen wilds! thank you based aloy!
just trouble

Postby Milk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Favorite things to do in gaming:

#1 - Building shit
#2 - Making spreadsheets
#3 - Ignoring a game's lore and story so that the game fits my desired narrative better
#4 - Heavily criticize a game i probably didn't pay for for not fitting my narrow definition of what is desirable in a game
#5 - Ragequitting a game i've put hundreds of hours into and calling it complete worthless bullshit
Milk

Postby Spoons » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 am

Milk wrote:Ignoring a game's lore and story to fit my desired narrative is one of my top 3 things to do in games.

This.
I’m a cutscene skipper by heart
Spoons

Postby iambic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:46 am

I can't skip cutscenes

even the world's demonstrably worst cutscenes

I wish I could sometimes, but I cannot
iambic

Postby chimp » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 am

iambic wrote:I can't skip cutscenes

even the world's demonstrably worst cutscenes

I wish I could sometimes, but I cannot

cannot empathise with this

I mash the skip cutscene button hard as fuck
chimp

Postby iambic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:24 am

I feel deeply obliged to watch them. it's not an obligation to the writers or the developers or anything, just to ... narrative? I have to honor the existence of the narrative, even when it is bad.

like, I purely enjoy coordinated button pressing to complete actions in 3-d mediated space to achieve fleeting satisfactions as much as the next person, and I don't mind if there's no context for the button presses. but if there is a context, I have to acknowledge and understand it. I have to, chimp.
iambic

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All