Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Milk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 am

It's like this really: life is competitive, and i have failed at it and i feel bad enough about this already and games are pretty much the one thing that allows me to escape this feeling, so why should i play a game that, like real life, insists on making me feel like a failure? Don't need this shit in ma life.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Marcus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 am

i dont think playing against people who have all the time in the world to play means you get owned because you dont. that's reductive. my gaming time is small these days and i still do fine, get plenty of kills and wins in Siege.

you dont need 200 hours in a competitive game to compete. you need maybe 10-20 for map knowledge. getting used the faster TTK and knowing some of the meta but that's it.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:41 am

rufus what's your aim sensitivity at these days? once i got this mouse and could switch up my aim sens. on the fly it made a real difference for me in Siege.

also just watch Serenity's videos and tutorials -- you get a sense of how instinctual some of the game is, how footprints can be tells for which corner or which room someone is in, etc.

im not saying Siege is easy dont get me wrong, but just cuz some dudes can play it all the time doesnt mean youll lose all the time, everyone starts from 0
Marcus

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:47 am

hiddenicon

Postby jca » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:07 pm

I liked the vn/cyoa parts of pyre but the sport part stressed me out. I know you can’t like lose the game straight up but it gives me the same anxiety that banner saga does re losing a person. I can play with perma death in xcom or fire emblem because I think it adds like a tactical incentive and can be interesting to win against increasing odds but if someone dies because I picked a not great choice I just, can’t, deal. And the sports part is just this like anxiety inducing step where the whole thing is don’t worry about fucking up it’s part of the narrative tm but also are u seriously gonna let this guy die you idiot. I’d rather the game just end in both ways instead of continuing
Last edited by jca on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jca

Postby iambic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Ironman modes teach you to die graciously imo
iambic

Postby internetfriend » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:27 pm

lmao gb just put up the last 4 videos from their goty run and the video for the actual “goty” category alone is 5 hours. hell yeH
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby an otter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:33 pm

stellaris is taking over my life
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby whatabout tim » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Yea the gb goty is always a marathon, but I'm sure it is worse now that they have so many people. I'm still only halfway through day 2...
tim
whatabout tim

Postby internetfriend » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm

whatabout tim wrote:Yea the gb goty is always a marathon, but I'm sure it is worse now that they have so many people. I'm still only halfway through day 2...

i’m skimming most of it bc i didn’t play a lot of the games they’re talking about, and there’s so much of it, and i don’t care about some of the categories, etc. id actually love to watch a 5 hour goty video but not if that time is like, actually deducted from the hours i get to spend alive
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby whatabout tim » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I tend to listen to podcasts while doing chores and hearing them get worked up about the dumbest little things in weirdo categories is the best. I am a pretty big gb stan though
tim
whatabout tim

Postby internetfriend » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:56 pm

unfortunately i like watching the videos a lot so they don’t lend themselves to multitasking for me
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby jca » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

that yorha shirt is so good
jca

Postby Marcus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:00 pm

giant bomb is so great

prob the subscription ive ever made
Marcus

Postby internetfriend » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm

something i’ve really liked about goty deliberations in general this year is seeing nier stans acknowledge that like, the actual gameplay/exploration/combat is pretty boring under the best of circumstances. makes me want to go back to it much more
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby jca » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm

the combat, sure I get it (i dont agree though, I think the upgrade and weapon system is fun and pretty singular from the developer/genre), and parts of the game are repetitive, but can you clarify gameplay? like are you referring to sections or stretches of the game or the whole thing?
jca

Postby figaro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 pm

i loved nier but the combat loop definitely gets old really quickly and the way the world is constructed and gated kinda sucks

the combat feels great and controls are extremely tight but whats the fun in that when you fight the same 3 enemies repeatedly (this is why I hated Nioh)
figaro

Postby internetfriend » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:32 pm

jca wrote:the combat, sure I get it (i dont agree though, I think the upgrade and weapon system is fun and pretty singular from the developer/genre), and parts of the game are repetitive, but can you clarify gameplay? like are you referring to sections or stretches of the game or the whole thing?

exploring, questing, inventory stuff, loot stuff, anything like that
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby G_S » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 pm

here's my list stuff. making this felt shameful

Best game played this year: HITMAN™

best games released this year in order,
    1. Hollow Knight
    Everything
    Ass Creed: Pyramid Times
    Unexplored
    Prey
    Crawl
    Absolver
    Injustice 2
    Heat Signature
    Songbringer
    Drifting Lands
    PUBG
    Cuphead
    Tooth and Tail
    Rain World
    Rivals of Aether
    ATOMEGA
    Slime Rancher
    20XX
    Future Unfolding

Still in Early Access but otherwise would be fighting it out for number one spot: Dead Cells, Streets of Rogue

Ridiculously fun with friends on the couch: Nidhogg 2 and INVERSUS Deluxe

Phone games get their own category for some reason: Star Realms expansions, Card Thief, Age of Rivals

Best new obsession: Chess.com

Awesome updates: Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition, Darkest Dungeon DLC and Radiant mode, Orisa added to OW

Best Feeling: shooting the bow in Caveblazers

Awesome PC port that was new to me: Bayonetta

Surprisingly good: NBA Playgrounds

Disappointing: Battlerite updates/release and The Signal From Tölva
G_S

Postby traced out » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Marcus wrote:rufus what's your aim sensitivity at these days? once i got this mouse and could switch up my aim sens. on the fly it made a real difference for me in Siege.

also just watch Serenity's videos and tutorials -- you get a sense of how instinctual some of the game is, how footprints can be tells for which corner or which room someone is in, etc.

im not saying Siege is easy dont get me wrong, but just cuz some dudes can play it all the time doesnt mean youll lose all the time, everyone starts from 0

10 inches for a 360 is the standard across pretty much every fps where you move and look around (ie not cs), and lets say every inch deviation is a standard deviation. i think my sens was like 8.5 inches for a 360 with very mild mouse accel to 5.5 inches for a 360 (this mostly had to do with purely using wrist aim, which compensated for the natural resistance in my wrist the more i moved it).
traced out

Postby john plainman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 pm

2017:

PUBG
Escape From Tarkov
STALKER: Call of Misery

Late-entry: DINOS
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby G_S » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:31 pm

fuck I forgot I need to get back into STALKER. that's probably better than putting the sex mods in Skyrim, right?
G_S

Postby OGRE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:35 pm

2 0 1 7
personal top 5 ~

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cuphead
Fire Pro Wrestling World
Momodora IV: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Honorable mention: Underrail 1.0.3 (experimental branch)
OGRE

Postby Adult Contemporary » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:38 pm

10. Rez Infinite
9. Lone Echo
8. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
7. What Remains of Edith Finch
6. Yakuza 0
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Persona 5
1. Nier: Automata
Adult Contemporary

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Breath of the Wild
Etrian Odyssey V
Dragon Quest 7 (I played it this year at least)
SteamWorld Dig 2
Sonic Mania
Yakuza 0

Mario Odyssey was a great playthrough but I put it down after beating the story part and then never picked it up. I think Mario, however well crafted the gameplay, is just a played out franchise/character for me (that I'll play every iteration of because of that well crafted-ness)
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby Milk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:50 pm

not sure i actually played any game released this year..... ive not played anything except Black Desert since september for one.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby iambic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:07 pm

I can't keep track of stuff I played this year that was actually new

NieR? Trails 3rd? Trails of Cold Steel. XCOM 2 expansion. Battletech beta. those were all fun. I played a lot of Destiny 2 and the highs (Raid) were extremely high.

biggest disappointment by far was Torment. I have not yet installed Divinity: OS 2.

games I truly loved that I played this year that were not of this year: The Witcher 3 (finally returning and finishing it in one glorious binge). Overwatch. HITMAN. Wolfenstein: The New Order.
games I mostly liked that yadda yadda: PUBG. DOOM. Civ6. Stellaris. The Devil's Daughter. Shadow Tactics.
iambic

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Yeah that list was pretty close to just the list of new games I played this year
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby iambic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:10 pm

this was the year I bounced off a lot of indies and felt bad about it. instead I put all my time into multiplayer FPS and huge RPGs, like any good chad from the videogames thread.
iambic

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 pm

I want to play the Momodora games!
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.