Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby broodstar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:11 pm

my bedtime reading: The Curse of Kiseki: How One Of Japan's Biggest RPGs Barely Made It To America
It wasn’t long before the editors at XSEED realized just how much of a burden they’d put on their shoulders. At 1.5 million Japanese characters, the first Trails in the Sky was much bigger than anything they’d published before, more akin to a visual novel than a traditional RPG. There were hundreds of non-player characters, each with their own names and personalities and lines upon lines of dialogue to translate and edit. XSEED editor Jessica Chavez spent nine months crunching non-stop—14 hours a day, six days a week—just to get through it all.

“When I finally finished it I’d dropped ~10% of my body weight and was down to 99lbs,” she told me in an e-mail earlier this year. She said she cut off 18 inches of her hair “in some sort of retaliation for the headaches the weight of it had given me while working.”

If only more people had bought it. Perhaps because of the generic title or because the PSP was on its last legs in North America, FC was a retail flop. “It was actually quite a huge letdown based on how much work we put into it and how much work Falcom had put into it,” XSEED executive vice president Ken Berry told me during a recent interview. “At that point, both sides started to [wonder] if it was viable or not to continue the series.”

Over the next few months, thanks to disagreements over this bible and other key issues, the relationship between Dice and XSEED grew strained. Dice, dealing with anxiety and depression, would take weeks and even months to respond to Chavez’s requests. “I started dodging [Chavez’s] emails,” Dice told me. “I was taking forever to get back to her, the stress was piling on… Eventually in [early] 2014 she reached out to Robin [Light-Williams] and Robin got rather cross with me because he thought I was being lazy.”

That March, Dice took a knife to his chest. He later wrote about the experience in a blog post, explaining that he’d sunk into a cycle of depression and self-loathing triggered in part by his work on Trails in the Sky SC. “A thousand, thousand failures haunt me,” he wrote. “Failures that caused others pain, discomfort, distress. Failures so many I can no longer count them all.”

Chavez crunched and crunched for half a year, editing text until her eyes bled. She tweaked dialogue, fixed typos, and started correcting all of the terminology mistakes that remained in the script. She estimates that the script clocked in at 716,401 words, which is roughly the size of 10 novels. For context: the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is 455,125 words. Tolstoy’s War and Peace (New American Library Version) is 587,287.
broodstar

Postby internetfriend » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 pm

trouble wrote:got top 5 again but then some guy had an ability where he put up a shield and i was like "what is this? the marvel cinematic universe" and got shot in the head.

have you been keeping it spicy
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby dada » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:29 pm

pretty sure I'm going to eat weed and install a bunch of skyrim mods
dada

Postby iambic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Deadfire is, extremely, good
iambic

Postby internetfriend » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 pm

realm royale most streamed game on twitch rn again yayay

also shroud summit and minikerr were complaining about mage so i bet they actually get tweaked maybe yayayay
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby john plainman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 pm

iambic wrote:Deadfire is, extremely, good

I don't believe it
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby iambic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm

john plainman wrote:
iambic wrote:Deadfire is, extremely, good

I don't believe it

piratical caribbean shit, lots of consequence and reactivity from the first game, vague sid meier's pirates! parts grafted onto the best rtwp combat ever made (at least on potd with scaling), my character is a "mindstalker".... what's not to like??
iambic

Postby an otter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 pm

is the long-form conversational narration still painful to sit through
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby broodstar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 pm

does tabletop sim have an active server/userbase? like, can i just install a random game and find random people

maybe thats how i get my gloomhaven on
broodstar

Postby iambic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 am

an otter wrote:is the long-form conversational narration still painful to sit through

I reject the premise, but there is less wordiness on the whole and especially from companions.
iambic

Postby internetfriend » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 am

ok for once reddit is right, mage absolutely does need to be nerfed
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby internetfriend » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 am

now that dmitry plays it maybe we should make a thread. a thread for dmitry
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby broodstar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

want 2 octo
broodstar

Postby iambic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Jeremy, why are you not playing Pillars of Eternity: Pirates!
iambic

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:59 pm

I played the demo as Cyrus and kinda dug it, but man...I don't think I can go back to random encounters in the year of our lord 2018

@broodstar
Ferrous Bueller

Postby broodstar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:26 pm

im all about random encounters and linear gameplay and '+3 str' stat systems and facile equipment systems
broodstar

Postby broodstar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:30 pm

now that i think about it most of my bog-standard jrpg experiences are from having the turbo button on my emulator taped down, so you may be on to something
broodstar

Postby Milk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:11 pm

been a while since i posted some of those, i got myself a new "chalet" and i implausibly won the outfit i've been wanting for so long on the marketplace two days ago (this shit is worth 30$ if you buy it with real money, i got it for 34 millions in game which is nothing) so seems like as good a time as any.

This is the house in a small port town. Actually i bought three houses. The door on the furthest right is another residence in itself and then there's one under that one i bought too. So there's no link between them other than from the inside but still. It'll make me feel like i have a proper mansion (houses are instanced so it's not like if you own one nobody can own it too)

the door to the left has two floors. The one on the right is one flor with an open thing. And the bottom one is just a basement. I'll do kitchen and bedroom and all in the first. Alchemy lab in the second and probably storage in the basement. Or maybe switch those last two around.

In front of the door of the basement residence. This is the back of the whole "mansion". The opening where you see beams is part of the second house.

View from right outside the front door

View from sitting on the roof. The boat with white sails is mine. That fucker was an achievement in itself...you have to cut down wood for weeks to build that goddam thing.

I'd show inside but....i havent' started moving in yet. Decorating and all. I have loads of pics of my main residence inside actually and i never think of putting them online. I took a LOT of time to decorate it.

On horse in front of the house. The cat isn't mine.

closer look at my amazing new outfit. it comes with a hat too but i don't do hats. Serious wizards don't wear hats. Little known fact.

Not featured in pics, my trusty crow. With this new outfit i can't take my staff out and have the crow land on my shoulder because the pose my char does with this outfit is different and the crow wants no part of it.

actually no i need to have a pic with the crow , fuck the staff (alt tab). there we go

"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Paul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:35 am

"30 hours a week playing videogames! They'll rot your brain!" - Outraged parent who spends 4 hours every single night watching the most monotonous CBS sitcoms.

The kids in that video aint got shit on me. They're all sitting together having fun.
Paul

Postby Milk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:47 am

I've frequently said i am addicted to video games. I mean i go insane if i can't play them for long periods of time. I use games to numb myself like others do drugs or alcohol. Recently i've been pretty creative and i realised the last thing i needed to do right now was try to play a new game because like BDO is still fine but im not that into it anymore that i wanna spend my whole day playing it, but if i picked up a new game that i end up being really into, i know what will happen, i'll put aside anything else. Or instead of doing that creative thing for 3 or 4 hours i'll just cut it down to 1 and pretend it's enough and just basically botch the whole thing. For this reason i dont think i'll play anything new before like fall at least. It's like "i could go to work....or i could spend the whole day at home smoking crack....hmmm" When faced with a good game i don't know what's good for me anymore. I take bad decisions.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Paul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 am

frankly, i'm happy i'm now a WHO statistic.
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 am

but I am NOT happy about that double post
Paul

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:43 am

luckily I don't play computer games, I play console
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby broodstar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Wizards of the Coast has been a fantastic partner to us over the past six years, and we at Fantasy Flight Games are incredibly thankful to them for letting us play with the game system that they pioneered. However, as much as we have enjoyed developing Android: Netrunner, our current licensing term is coming to an end, and today, Fantasy Flight Games must announce the end of Android: Netrunner The Card Game.

Starting on October 22nd, 2018, Fantasy Flight Games will no longer offer for sale any Android: Netrunner The Card Game products, including Android: Netrunner playmats and card sleeves.

are the warriors orochi games good
broodstar

Postby G_S » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 pm

oh shit

is there any word on the future of netrunner? maybe a good publisher snatches it up and we'll finally get the proper Hearthstone killer it should be?
G_S

Postby broodstar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:37 pm

i can foresee myself throwing my life away to artifact

but if there were a proper digital client of netrunner i'd try it
broodstar

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:55 pm

im back to only playing ff14

fuckin love that game

havent been logging in for like six months but as soon as i do the world/player characters just make me so happy
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...
a-10 warthog champion

Postby Peptobysmal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:11 pm

broodstar wrote:

Wizards of the Coast has been a fantastic partner to us over the past six years, and we at Fantasy Flight Games are incredibly thankful to them for letting us play with the game system that they pioneered. However, as much as we have enjoyed developing Android: Netrunner, our current licensing term is coming to an end, and today, Fantasy Flight Games must announce the end of Android: Netrunner The Card Game.

Starting on October 22nd, 2018, Fantasy Flight Games will no longer offer for sale any Android: Netrunner The Card Game products, including Android: Netrunner playmats and card sleeves.

are the warriors orochi games good

Fuuuuuuck. I love Netrunner.
Peptobysmal

Postby internetfriend » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:54 pm

every single person that i’ve convinced to dl realm royale goes into it like “lol wtf is this, i guess i’ll try one game just so i can know what it’s about, dumbass BR craze” and comes out of it enthusiastic to very enthusiastic

maybe this is what battle royales we’re supposed to be.....pubg interrupted the natural flow of time
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....