Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bluemovers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

i'm intrigued by RDR2, but i never played the first one and was shocked to discover i couldn't play it on my PS4. do i need to have played it? isn't this new one a prequel?

i just finished DQXI and was about to start Horizon ZD, but i dunno.
bluemovers

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am

I'd be really interested in seeing what a downtrend in dev crunch would mean for the length of console generations, the amount of games that would come out, the development of interim smaller games to fit the gap maybe? I think video games as an art medium are bound for a shakeup of the "BIGGER! BETTER GRAPHICS! MORE DETAILS" which is where all the money is.

I am not interesting in seeing: gamer reactions to this, reading dumb reactionary articles

also it's probably not going to happen. I was wondering if there'd ever be another (AAA at least) crash because that one dev company going kaput even after having put out the actually pretty successful Bioshock Infinite
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 pm

bluemovers wrote:i'm intrigued by RDR2, but i never played the first one and was shocked to discover i couldn't play it on my PS4. do i need to have played it? isn't this new one a prequel?

Not sure I’d do an open world game like horizon back to back with another like rdr2.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby internetfriend » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:37 pm

appropriately, there’s a lotta people talking about rockstar’s labor practices on twitter today in light of a vulture piece that (fawningly) mentions its engineers have been working 100-hour weeks, accompanied by a quote from a rockstar representative saying basically “it’s good to work that much at our company because our company is so cool”

f u c k i t
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm

I liked how in this video for Dream, the most technically ambitious game of recent memory, the co-founder just casually dismisses the concept of crunch

Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:21 pm

good thread

Bad Craziness

Postby cooly » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:30 pm

for those curious about it, the switch monster hunter is 40 on amazon atm. gonna cop it and give it a whirl.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby internetfriend » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm

a couple others

iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby chairkicker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 pm

crunch has become so accepted people are fed this false dichotomy of "crunch or spend 4 years on a game." it's a huge structural flaw that, besides the exploitation at play, owes its place in game development in part to the increasingly assembly line process of game development

haven't even figured out how your character's gonna move in this world? don't even worry about it, go build six levels why we sort that out
chairkicker

Postby Esteban » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

The obvious answer to me is that project leads who can't plan a release without long stretches of crunch don't belong in those roles. Since it's an industry wide problem it's not looked at as a failure but it definitely is.
Esteban

Postby chairkicker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm

and i mean you're not always gonna know what exactly you're doing when you're making a game even under the best of conditions, but the assembly line increasingly takes the experimental phase out of development and that only adds to crunch time as a result
chairkicker

Postby Shaggy 2 Dope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:03 pm

cooly wrote:for those curious about it, the switch monster hunter is 40 on amazon atm. gonna cop it and give it a whirl.

for those curious, it's a remake of monster hunter cross for 3ds, which im currently playing and owns

buy it!!

it doesnt have the QoL stuff of mhw but it's a real nice history of MH with tons of monsters and quests.
Shaggy 2 Dope

Postby Shaggy 2 Dope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:07 pm

crunch monsters, not your life
Shaggy 2 Dope

Postby Shaggy 2 Dope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:07 pm

imo
Shaggy 2 Dope

Postby broodstar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 pm

*double cross

english patch to 3ds game

think gordie blue eyes got scared off cause we haven't heard from him since
broodstar

Postby Shaggy 2 Dope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 pm

oh my bad i didnt realize xx got a jpn 3ds release. xx is a more robust version of x. xx is the one that was ported, as bs correctly noted.

ANYWAY IT'S ALL GOOD CRUSH MONSTERS!!!
Shaggy 2 Dope

Postby broodstar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm

gen = x
genu = xx

and from hearsay, p3rd+world+genu are the most accessible entry points? maybe. dunno.
broodstar

Postby sigmonrunner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 pm

bluemovers wrote:i'm intrigued by RDR2, but i never played the first one and was shocked to discover i couldn't play it on my PS4. do i need to have played it? isn't this new one a prequel?

I don't think you'd need to have played the first game. It is a prequel, and you play as a character who was never mentioned in the first game.

I really liked the first game when I played it, but I imagine it's probably kind of dated by now.
sigmonrunner

Postby Shaggy 2 Dope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

mhw is definitely the accessible point unless they used the menu overhaul from it on genu

for "real" monster hunters though i think genu/x is the place to start. maybe 4u. i dunno i havent played 3rd.
Shaggy 2 Dope

Postby Shaggy 2 Dope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:20 pm

all i know is i cleared some space for x streetpass today at work and im curious to see how many hits i get on my commute. i still get a decent amount of 4u ones.
Shaggy 2 Dope

Postby MikeS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Keep reading how blackout is fun but soloing it sucks. I’ve been fighting the argue to buy cod since it came out. I also don’t know if I like br modes.
MikeS

Postby iambic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 am

soloing it doesn't suck, although the midgame can be slow/lonesome
iambic

Postby walt whitman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 am

Esteban wrote:The obvious answer to me is that project leads who can't plan a release without long stretches of crunch don't belong in those roles. Since it's an industry wide problem it's not looked at as a failure but it definitely is.

this is why widespread unionization is absolutely necessary. look at the film industry. obviously there too, you're dealing with creative projects that morph and change during development, leading to unpredictable work schedules. the union protects the workforce, at least somewhat.
walt whitman

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:48 am

walt whitman wrote:
Esteban wrote:The obvious answer to me is that project leads who can't plan a release without long stretches of crunch don't belong in those roles. Since it's an industry wide problem it's not looked at as a failure but it definitely is.

this is why widespread unionization is absolutely necessary. look at the film industry. obviously there too, you're dealing with creative projects that morph and change during development, leading to unpredictable work schedules. the union protects the workforce, at least somewhat.

there’s nothing quite like the feeling of being on set and a wave of whispers ripples through the cast/crew and you find out that we just went into triple overtime
Bad Craziness

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 am

iambic wrote:soloing it doesn't suck, although the midgame can be slow/lonesome

I pretty much only solo because I don't like talking to strangers on mic lol. I like it! You just have to search for action if you want it. Get a chopper and land in a populated area.
tricksforchips

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 am

Looks like they already knocked $20 off 2k for the start of the season. I tend to buy it the first price drop but I’m thinking the micro transactions actually had an effect? I definitely didn’t find a sale last year until about a quarter of the season.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:26 pm

lol good to know this dude still sucks

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Esteban » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Evergreen
Esteban

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Wow, moriarty really let himself go
tim
whatabout tim

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....