Rec.Music.Phish

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Phish uniquely offers an opportunity to contribute to the communities in which they play in an (as far as I know) unmatched capacity

It’s up to you to moderate your exercise of privilege and local behavior, as well as help control the community around you, not the band
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby vhg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:12 pm

VHGisdead wrote:it sounds entirely possible that (1) people were violently assaulted and (2) there were a bunch of neo nazis posted up at the show last night, but that (3) the two were unrelated to one another. Even if they unrelated, they need to be well-addressed.

this is on top of separate reports of a bunch of sexual harassment at the show last night

in my eagerness to be reasonable I totally neglected that multiple people have said that it was Black people/people of color who were attacked, which totally undercuts the idea of just treating it as "violence: race-neutral"
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:You're talking about waterwheel and particularly the mockingbird foundation ya?

more than that.. this group offers a pretty strong opportunity to mitigate an unbridled expression of privelage.. for me that counts for something unless even going to an art gallery to look at pretty paintings is too apolitical for 2018

art is the best
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Althea » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 pm

That really sucks. At the "official vending area" in the gorge campground (not shakedown, the like professional carny vendors), there was a flag shop selling all lives matter and pro-gun flags. I told the guy off (in a polite Canadian way) on the first day. (I didn't see any Nazis but didn't go near shakedown at night.)

I've been thinking about the fandom/privilege issue since the baker's dozen, and I'm taking a deliberate break this summer from world and especially US news so that I can take the time to figure out my place in it and how to put my political/moral values into action. I can't seem to get my thoughts in order without writing a big gooey mess, but I do see so many good people in this community and how much strength they get from this experience to do good things in the world. Nazi punks can fuck off though.

Althea

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:37 pm

As someone pretty shielded from the scene lately (for the last 5 yrs I’ve only attended NYC shows solo. I go in I go out) my relationship to the band and shows has become a deeply personal one. So much so that I am bummed to say these are issues I haven’t quite contemplated.

One time I trailed a couple throughout the floor because the guy revealed himself to be verbally abusive to his partner. I didn’t know what I was going to do if it spilled over, but I wanted to be nearby in case. This ruined my night, not because I missed a good chunk of a show, but because it’s my zone and when I am that high mood-wise, I can only go even further and faster DOWN. I allow myself to dabble in critiques and negativity in terms of my internal relationship with and opinions of the band but I’m finding it incredibly jarring to have the real world as it were butt in on that process.

It’s weird how it’s such a hyper-insular scene by definition. You get it or, most likely, you don’t. Overlay an effort of inclusiveness and acceptance on top of that and it feels like a doubly doomed effort. This answers nothing but I’m going to continue to think about it. And I guess now when I’m at shows I’m going to have an extra alertness to look out for those vulnerable and stand right beside them.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Figuratively. I’m not a creep

Fr. Blanc

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 pm

guy, I hear what I think you’re trying to say, but what you are saying is while there’s any sort of injustice that any member of a dominant social group can’t do... anything? what else are you opting out of? are you driving erratically because being person of color and driving comes with such an absurdly higher risk of death and this is the only way to equalize things?

I don’t think that opting out of living your life is the answer, and if the guilt is so pressing that you’re feeling the need to do that, why aren’t you taking meaningful action with your time and money instead??
Last edited by Bisexual Lightning on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm

my buddy Larry on fbook: “Nazi dirtbag getting arrested right behind my tent. :D

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:28 pm

And also I think it’s a little offensive to put it on marginalized people that “all art and fun are canceled” until your guilt has subsided..

Like do you not bring your gf places and introduce her as such because I haven’t shared the same freedom and risk of emotional and physical pain and loss by doing so with my partners of choice throughout my life??

That’s why I’m asking you to zero in on the individual actions you’re performing not throwing the baby out with the bath water.. I dunno what about this has me razzed, but it’s something!

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:43 pm

My point is that as a straight white middle class educated man.. literally everything you is implicated in white supremacy and social dominance

So like.. let’s talk about what we can do, how you can have a positive impact, recognizing the importance of art in society, and how art and music can help mitigate the rest of the bullshit

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 pm

We both wanna mitigate things, seems like we’re on the same page to a certain extent..

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:
k_uger wrote:And also I think it’s a little offensive to put it on marginalized people that “all art and fun are canceled” until your guilt has subsided

And I haven't said anything of the sort so come off it

Well you know I’m not someone who traffics in calling your thoughts or beliefs offensive so recognize that there’s something to what I said I heard and I’ll recognize that’s not what you intended

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:49 pm

don’t forget about class!

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm

and ability! I went to a show on crutches once and cried in the merriwearher pit because folks were so horribly entitled and awful

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Well put, my dearest of friends.

Now what time do they go on?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 pm

There’s pics and secondary hearsay of nazi nitrous salestrash being arrested on lot.. not sure if there’s a connection yet

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Word. Same.

Bisexual Lightning

Postby vhg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:
k_uger wrote:There’s pics and secondary hearsay of nazi nitrous salestrash being arrested on lot.. not sure if there’s a connection yet

And apparently the campers nearby gave a standing ovation when it happened, which is great, but not the end of the story!!

yeah, "don't buy nitrous from nazis" is, well, it's a practice that can apparently be adopted. But it sure takes a lot more than that.

appreciate y'all sharing your thoughts in here
vhg

Postby vhg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:32 pm

wow Fishman is pretty deep in the Trump/Putin memes these days
vhg

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:57 pm

I ALSO NOTiced that today

Sick of my phone doing that, not fixing it, deal with jf

Bisexual Lightning

Postby ted dibiase » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 pm

The Curtain, sweet!

Hope I can make it through the first set without falling asleep

ted dibiase

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:22 pm

HOLY SHIT that delay on Trey’s guitar in that section

WOWOWOWOW

FLASHES of Eno

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 pm

yesssss it’s still on there

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 pm

WHATS THE JOKA LINK PM PLZ

Bisexual Lightning

Postby vhg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 pm

set is for the birds
vhg

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 pm

having trouble with the stream.. wish I had lo fi audio option

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 pm

stueygreenbergonmixlr

Bisexual Lightning

Postby vhg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 pm

If vid isn't really doing it for you maybe do audio from terrapinsummercouch4 mixlr. Has been working the last couple nights
vhg

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Did I code it right? #darkweb #russia #princessbride

Bisexual Lightning

Postby vhg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:48 pm

first setty first set making way for second setty second set??
vhg

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley