Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby k_uger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 am

WOW yea that was maybe the best so far this year.
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby VHGisdead » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm

how many of the top 5 SOAMelts of 3.0 have come in the last year
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby k_uger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm

we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I’d say the only other contenders are 10/12/10, 10/20/10, and 7/6/13
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby VHGisdead » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:16 pm

what a great run. I still have some catching up to do

but Trey really cannot play the opening of Scents anymore can he
VHGisdead

Postby k_uger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 pm

he can, he simply chooses not to practice it

there’s a difference :D
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby VHGisdead » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:25 pm

ok this is true

He plays the rest of it well though!
VHGisdead

Postby k_uger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:08 pm

scunts and scebtle sands
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 pm

What are the good "First Tube" perfs? I feel like the ones I've listened to Trey's guitar feels...*off* compared to the Farmhouse recording.
Eyeball Kid

Postby howiep » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:20 am

Upon multiple relistens, I love the costume set so much. These are the best songs they've written in a long time.
howiep

Postby guy forget » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 am

Completely agree
guy forget

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 am

Eyeball Kid wrote:What are the good "First Tube" perfs? I feel like the ones I've listened to Trey's guitar feels...*off* compared to the Farmhouse recording.

It's a rare song in that what constitutes a good First Tube tends to be placement and their ability to ratchet up the tension and energy as opposed to deviation or tightness. When experienced live, you could also rate a First Tube by just how high Trey was jumping and power lunging throughout it.

The one that opened Radio City 5/21/00 is a fav. The one at the last 1.0 show has some added emotional heft 10/7/00. 12/4/09 had big energy which may or may not translate. There was a big one that closed out a festival with fireworks on 7/3/11. It was also the first "F" for the show wherein the set list spelled out Fuck Your Face (8/31/12). Early TAB used to really do well with the song but I'm not familiar with those dates.

or perhaps this is more your speed

Franco

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am

those songs have been bouncing around in my head constantly
VHGisdead

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 am

did they accidentally sing the wrong lyrics in We ARE Come to Outlive Our Brains and just stick with it? They said "we will"
VHGisdead

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 am

Also they seem to be saying "I'm a glue in your magnet," which is meaningless as far as I can tell? I don't know about these Phish
VHGisdead

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am

Franco wrote:
Eyeball Kid wrote:What are the good "First Tube" perfs? I feel like the ones I've listened to Trey's guitar feels...*off* compared to the Farmhouse recording.

It's a rare song in that what constitutes a good First Tube tends to be placement and their ability to ratchet up the tension and energy as opposed to deviation or tightness. When experienced live, you could also rate a First Tube by just how high Trey was jumping and power lunging throughout it.

The one that opened Radio City 5/21/00 is a fav. The one at the last 1.0 show has some added emotional heft 10/7/00. 12/4/09 had big energy which may or may not translate. There was a big one that closed out a festival with fireworks on 7/3/11. It was also the first "F" for the show wherein the set list spelled out Fuck Your Face (8/31/12). Early TAB used to really do well with the song but I'm not familiar with those dates.

or perhaps this is more your speed

I'll check these out. And by "off" I mean there's something tentative in his playing in the versions I've heard—this year's Halloween show being an example—whereas in the studio recording he clicks with the rest of the band.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 am

I havent heard this halloween version yet but there are cases especially the last few years, where Trey switches up his phrasing/timing in some songs as a stylistic choice. He's been doing this vocally too. First Tube is an example, now that I think about it, in which he does sometimes intentionally hang slightly behind the song on some notes. I'm sure sometimes its not intentional though idk
Franco

Postby Quigley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I've only listened to the Halloween set while watching it live that night, but the idea that they're the best songs in years is baffling to me. Better than the lower tier of fuego/big boat and newer songs sure, but better than Blaze, No Men, Mercury, Thread, Everything's Right, Petrichor, Shade, Miss You, B&B, all those weird Mike songs like Vacu-uming and Crazy Sometimes, heck even the Soul duology (though SYSF is kinda similar with the repetitive chorus)?

That doesn't take anything away from the performance or the stunt, both of which were stellar. Just the songs are pretty simplistic musically and the lyrics are parody, like the Fuego (the song) full band nonsense writing style gone through Google translate.
Quigley

Postby Quigley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 pm

I saw a comment elsewhere that they seem to have rearranged some vocals to fit their vocal ranges better, to sound less strained. I haven't done enough focused phish listening lately to tell whether that's the case but it seems like a smart and egoless move to make.
Quigley

Postby k_uger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: First Tube - yea he’s been doing this thing in 3.0 where he hangs on the quarter notes more, stretching his phrasing behind the beat with a little legato, vs the older versions which are staccato throughout the riff

a lot of phans find it annoying, so you’re not alone

check out any version from fall 99 when they start playing it, I recently explored those tours a lot and found myself just going nuts for how they were playing TD the -new Farmhouse material.. Phish fans being generally obnoxious didn’t love that stuff as much at the time, but the way I look at it it’s all pretty classic now, so sets like 10/10/99 Set I should probably held in higher esteem even though they’re not, say, “Divided Sky, Reba, It’s Ice > Maze”
Last edited by k_uger on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:18 pm

I've only listened to the set once, but I think the new songs are better than the bulk of Big Boat...but then I don't like that album very much.
Eyeball Kid

Postby k_uger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 pm

I often take a lot more away from those “nonsense” lyrics than I do Tom Marshall’s ABAB CDCD ABAB CDCD :| ad nauseum lyrics

I haven’t decided how they stack up yet as songs. I’d say on par with the Fuego material, in that a handful I adore, with about half being songs I could leave or take moving forward.. then again it’s a lot like the HH material in that I think they’re all great in their original setting, but I’m honestly not that into hearing a lot of the HH material outside of a few tunes, and often I like the sample incorporations better than a lot of the actual songs themselves (Shipwreck, the Birds, Timber)
Last edited by k_uger on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:23 pm

actually Tom is more of an AABB sing song-y guy, once you start to focus on that repetitive rhyme scheme it can get a little maddening
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby howiep » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Quigley wrote:I've only listened to the Halloween set while watching it live that night, but the idea that they're the best songs in years is baffling to me. Better than the lower tier of fuego/big boat and newer songs sure, but better than Blaze, No Men, Mercury, Thread, Everything's Right, Petrichor, Shade, Miss You, B&B, all those weird Mike songs like Vacu-uming and Crazy Sometimes, heck even the Soul duology (though SYSF is kinda similar with the repetitive chorus)?

That doesn't take anything away from the performance or the stunt, both of which were stellar. Just the songs are pretty simplistic musically and the lyrics are parody, like the Fuego (the song) full band nonsense writing style gone through Google translate.

Interesting. Mercury is the only newer song that I think is really good and that I look forward to hearing. I appreciate the rest as they are becoming cool jam vehicles and the band seems to have fun playing them, but I don't think there's anything inherently complex or interesting in a song like Blaze On for example that makes it better than one of the Kasvot Vaxt songs. If anything, Blaze On sounds like a parody to me of some Jimmy Buffet song. I know this is all subjective and doesn't matter, I'm just excited by the idea that Phish created an imaginary band to inspire themselves to write fun, simple, cool songs that are actually GOOD.

I've been singing those songs in my head since Halloween and I never walk around singing about setting my soul free or being on a soul planet made of a love ocean. :rixx:
howiep

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:57 pm

listening live I really thought those songs were mostly only good in a "this is hilarious" way but I'm already really excited about the possibility of hearing S.A.N.T.O.S. or The Final Hurrah in December
VHGisdead

Postby howiep » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Stray Dog is such a jam. One of the more simpler tunes from the set, but I just love it.
howiep

Postby Quigley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

These lyrics will probably take on some additional depth for me as they get played more and get attached to show/life experiences. It doesn't help that I've been in a shitty place for a couple weeks. My brain wants either abrasive enveloping noise or gentle quiet, Phish is an unhappy medium except for the aggressive space jams right now. Considering how much fun I found Let's Go I can totally see these tracks being a blast in person.
Quigley

Postby k_uger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:39 pm

OoO baby, the Vegas Slave is very very good
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Good to hear

How was the Taste this tour? :cry:
Franco

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 pm

idk but the one they decided not to play after Mercury in Vegas was great
VHGisdead

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....