Alternative/independent comics thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby moffett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 am

Starting a new thread here if you don't wanna talk about New 52 and Marvel Now.

Has anybody read Charles Forsman's The End of the Fucking World? Forsman's Oily Comics put it out in $1, 8-page installments and Fantagraphics is selling it now as a graphic novel (titled TEOFTW - http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-sho ... l?vmcchk=1). It's really really good and has sort of a Malick/Badlands vibe. Bergen Street Comics in Brooklyn is doing a release party, for all you NY boarders.

Any other new releases you're excited for? I'm psyched that Michael Deforge's Ant Comic is getting collected in print (online here http://kingtrash.com/ants/index.html) and discovered Ted May last week via his comic Men's Feelings (http://tedmaycomics.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... -sale.html) which is all about shitting and watching sports and is great.

Also, Lisa Hanawalt's Twitter is probably my favorite: https://twitter.com/lisadraws
moffett

Postby Rhodes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:46 am

Everyone should be reading Copra. Copra's awesome.
Rhodes

Postby moffett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 am

Hell yeah! Copra is great and a Brooklyn local (Bergen St puts out really nice looking collected editions, 3 issues/ea I think?). Although I find it a little hard to follow from issue to issue, I think it's really all about the fighting and the drawings.
moffett

Postby swamp thing » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 am

adrian tomine sucks
fuck you mom
swamp thing

Postby lunatic96 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 am

moffett wrote:Also, Lisa Hanawalt's Twitter is probably my favorite: https://twitter.com/lisadraws

She's been killing it lately with her ad parodies on instagram. I kind of wish My Dirty Dumb Eyes has more new stuff in it though, like 90% of it I'd already seen online.
lunatic96

Postby moffett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 am

I think it's all reprinted, either from her blog or minis she's done over the last year or so. lol'd reading it several times regardless.

the ad parodies have been great.

Subway: Smell Bread
moffett

Postby ZONKER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am

That comic with the owl and witch that smoke a lot of weed is releasing new shit on Fantographics next year, pretty stoked on that.
Image Image Image Image Image
kid8 wrote:mail me all of your drugs and give me your dick and soul.
ZONKER

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am

are you gonna see days of future past
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby sevenarts » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 am

TEOTFW is fantastic. I read the minis a while back and loved them. It's such a bleak little vision, and the cartoony art is perfect in its deadpan way. Forsman is doing another, totally new book with Fantagraphics, too, I can't wait for that.

Copra is definitely cool too. The recent "Personal Files" issue really drove home, if it wasn't obvious already, just how *exactly* it's modelled on the Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad from the '80s, it's basically an excuse to put those characters through new adventures with jaw-dropping art. I was kinda laughing as Fiffe laid out each character's history and they all were pretty much ripped from a DC Who's Who guide.

I'm excited about Dash Shaw's New School (I think it's out but I haven't gotten my preordered copy yet), the new Yuichi Yokoyama book coming out later this year (Picturebox seems to be doing a lot of really cool-looking indie manga this year), the collection of Milligan and McCarthy's old British comics, Anders Nilsen's Rage of Poseidon, new Jim Woodring, new Love and Rockets, the hope that another volume of CF's Powr Mastrs will eventually come out. And whatever happened to that damn Cold Heat collection?

Julia Gfrorer has a new book coming out this year, she's a really exciting cartoonist who does these dark, sexually tinged horror comics that are really haunting and subtly disturbing. I've read a couple of minicomics by her that have really lingered in my imagination, I can't wait to see what she does at greater length.

I think this thread is a great idea.
sevenarts

Postby ZONKER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 am

Awww man you just reminded me that I read Woodring's childhood hallucination collection Weathercraft on 4chan and it was AMAZING. My first exposure to the guy, and it blew me away.
ZONKER

Postby sevenarts » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 am

Woodring's a genius. He's been doing a whole series of those graphic novels like Weathercraft lately, there's also Congress of the Animals and Fran is the new one coming out this year. Everything he does is mind-meltingly good and seems to come from someplace nobody else can quite access. When I was first getting into comics again in college, his big collection The Frank Book was one of the things that really opened my eyes to just how much weird and wild stuff could actually be done in the medium.
sevenarts

Postby good news » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 am

ZONKER wrote:That comic with the owl and witch that smoke a lot of weed is releasing new shit on Fantographics next year, pretty stoked on that.

This is a good friend of mine! Dude is so good. Came in here to post.

http://girlmountain.tumblr.com/
good news

Postby Shost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 am

what copra should I be reading
Shost

Postby bluemovers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:31 am

great thread already. gonna post up in here.
bluemovers

Postby sevenarts » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

Shost wrote:what copra should I be reading

http://michelfiffe.com/

There are two compendiums that collect issues 1-3 and 4-6, then 7-8 are still in print. Just start at the beginning with the first compendium if you want to try it out, the art is amazing.
sevenarts

Postby Rhodes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 pm

If Benjamin Marra doesn't put out some new comics this year I'll kill myself.
Rhodes

Postby mudd » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:43 pm

lunatic96 wrote:
moffett wrote:Also, Lisa Hanawalt's Twitter is probably my favorite: https://twitter.com/lisadraws

She's been killing it lately with her ad parodies on instagram. I kind of wish My Dirty Dumb Eyes has more new stuff in it though, like 90% of it I'd already seen online.

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/36 ... 37/photo/1

m
mudd

Postby ZONKER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey Lisa!

What kind of underwear are you wearing?

<3
Zonker
ZONKER

Postby husbands » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 pm

this thread is already better than the other comics one
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby gambra » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:28 pm

mudd wrote:
lunatic96 wrote:

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/36 ... 37/photo/1

m

Google Alerts must go off pretty fast these days.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby Rhodes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 pm

husbands wrote:this thread is already better than the other comics one

Suppose we could start yelling at each other?
Rhodes

Postby endor holocaust » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Has Lose been collected in any way? Back issue hunting for it is nigh impossible.
endor holocaust

Postby manvstrees » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 pm

just can't deal with a lot of indie comics art
coming from a drawing background/degree

huge generalization coming thru
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 pm

copra looks wonderful and i'm picking some of that up immediate
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby endor holocaust » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Yeah, thanks for posting the link for the collections of that, didn't realize I could grab them like that.
endor holocaust

Postby Fullscreen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 pm

anyone have a collection of Dennis Eichhorn's Real Stuff?
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby DisposableGriot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:25 pm

endor holocaust wrote:Has Lose been collected in any way? Back issue hunting for it is nigh impossible.

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever find Lose 1. I believe DeForge has said Lose 2 and on will be eventually collected, but he plans on keeping #1 OOP since he doesn't like it.

You can still get 2 and 3 from Secret Acres, though, and 4 & 5 through Amazon or elsewhere.
le sigh
DisposableGriot

Postby bluemovers » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm

manvstrees wrote:just can't deal with a lot of indie comics art
coming from a drawing background/degree

huge generalization coming thru

see i feel this way about mainstream comic art, coming from a drawing background/degree
bluemovers

Postby Elephant » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Rhodes wrote:If Benjamin Marra doesn't put out some new comics this year I'll kill myself.

Blades and Lasers got announced for later this year:

Debuting at this year’s SPX, the first issue of BLADES & LAZERS. Published by Ian Harker’s bi-monthly risograph endeavor, SACRED PRISM, this issue introduces readers to the Gearson brothers. One a mute barbarian blade master. The other, a sweet-talking las-slinger. Together they kidnap wizards to summon and slay Galacto-Demons. The brains and hearts of the Galacto-Demons are a tremendous resource amongst the planets of The Periphery and the Gearson’s are the best Galacto-Demon hunters in all the Inter-Galaxies.
Elephant

Postby ZONKER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:53 pm

I'd still kill to get a copy of Gangsta Rap Possee, are there scans of it anywhere? Couldn't find it on CBT...
ZONKER

Next

Return to Free-For-All